Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I understand there's just not much to talk about now, that's why I'm branching out in new and interesting ways, says my marketing guy blanktester. So I'm calling this one a webisode in case that works. Also, look at this pic to see all the weird, strange stuff we're doing in this episode, like chilling on top of a sign.

But seriously, this level's second part really is a lot of fun, and it keeps up the theme park aspect nicely. It is a very good addition, scenery wise. Goal wise... look and see.

Aggressive Inline: Return to Boardwalk

Text Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Maybe the rats bled green in Industrial because they're living in toxic filth or something?

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
blanktester's "Let's Play Leibniz"

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SporkOfTruth posted:

blanktester's "Let's Play Leibniz"

Ooh, I like it. Really, if you think about it, college courses are just Lets Plays anyways.

Which means that at the end of Aggressive Inline, I'm going to have to test you all on the things that happened in the levels and the stupid things the two of us said in the episodes. You're allowed one full front and back page of notes.

Seventh Mode
Aug 29, 2012

Mode 7-style rendering was also used for the Special Stages in Sonic CD.
The more you know!
The animals you run over in Industrial are actually massive cockroaches.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The key actually unlocks the coaster? I suppose it wouldn't make sense for you to be able to grab it and skitch into the locked parts of the level.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

The key actually unlocks the coaster? I suppose it wouldn't make sense for you to be able to grab it and skitch into the locked parts of the level.

Yes, the coaster doesn't start up until you have the Boardwalk key and can get the full level.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Confirming the coaster jump. Seeing that for the first time was quite a sight.

Also, going up the coaster isn't the only way to get up to the bowl on top of the volcano with the boulder. There's a chain of like 9 horizontal poles going up and around the bowl from the base, you get there by going down the ramp next to the coaster boarding area with the dancing clown. The trick to it is to jump, hold circle until you grab the pole and start swinging, release the button then, and press it again immediately. You'll jump off the pole you're on and kind of warp to the next one, and chain that until you get to the top. It's dumb and takes forever, but by god it feels badass once you get it right the first time.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Jukebox Hero posted:

Confirming the coaster jump. Seeing that for the first time was quite a sight.

Also, going up the coaster isn't the only way to get up to the bowl on top of the volcano with the boulder. There's a chain of like 9 horizontal poles going up and around the bowl from the base, you get there by going down the ramp next to the coaster boarding area with the dancing clown. The trick to it is to jump, hold circle until you grab the pole and start swinging, release the button then, and press it again immediately. You'll jump off the pole you're on and kind of warp to the next one, and chain that until you get to the top. It's dumb and takes forever, but by god it feels badass once you get it right the first time.

That makes sense, I thought there had to be a reason for that bottom area to open up, and for the game to show it opening in a cutscene, but couldn't find anything down there. Now, is there any other way up to the front flip photographer and the third monkey, or is that leap of faith and logic from the coaster to the one wire the only way up?

Along with that, here is another episode of Aggressive Inline. I promise there is more to talk about here, considering that we probably boil someone alive in acid this episode. Did we kill someone, or was it just a prop? Post your thoughts below.

Aggressive Inline: Return to Movie Lot

Text Link

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

I never thought of it as boiling the woman alive in acid, I always thought you were creating the secret character you unlock for completing the Movie Lot: the Bride of Frankenstein.

And even if you were boiling them in acid, there wasn't much movement there. Seems more like you were helping dispose of the body. By skating. Aggressively.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SnafuAl posted:

I never thought of it as boiling the woman alive in acid, I always thought you were creating the secret character you unlock for completing the Movie Lot: the Bride of Frankenstein.

And even if you were boiling them in acid, there wasn't much movement there. Seems more like you were helping dispose of the body. By skating. Aggressively.

But that's even worse! We're skating AS OUR VICTIMS. Think about that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you get one secret character from 100%ing each map?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Do you get one secret character from 100%ing each map?

You get a secret character from completing all the challenges in a level. Since the game factors in getting all the green and purple collectables into getting 100%, that's what I go by, so no. For getting 100% of a level, you apparently unlock cheat codes

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism
You should try MTX Mototrax for a mix between Motocross and Tony Hawk style goals.

a very nice paella fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 25, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I performed something that my marketing guy blanktester calls "being hard to get". We're going to see how it goes and if it works, for the next update I'll wait a whole week before posting it.

Oh, and I'll get a pic up as soon as LPix goes back up.

Aggressive Inline: Return to Cannery

Text Link

I know I said "go" way too many times at around 6:45. I didn't notice it while recording, I swear!

Insetik fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 26, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think I understand why the choppers are there now. The final thing a true aggressive inline skater must destroy... is themselves.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Great, now I'm trying to figure out a way to "die" in Aggressivve Inline or do something super brutal to end the LP. It might happen.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I know this is getting really dragged out, we're close to the end though. In this video, watch as I make the worst solutions to the challenges presented possible, and still somehow make them work.

Aggressive Inline: Return to Airfield

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 23, 2012

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Hmm. The main thing I'm thinking... You should probably use both sides of the grid. Start with the low grinding quarter-circles, put all of the rails on one side past that, and put the vault bar at the bottom end of one section. Grind the quarter-circles, then the rails, then manual to the bar and launch over the middle section. Then manual to the quarter pipes, grind on top of them, use the jump with the grinding momentum, then manual over to any remaining quarterpipe sections.

It seems like a lot of the issue with the last one was putting everything in one section. Dividing the park into "grinding" and "vert" sections would probably be best, but grinding also gives you momentum, so you need at least one grinding area in the vert section to keep up speed.

I haven't played Aggressive Inline ever or Tony Hawk in about five years, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Your Third Law is definitely a thing, though. I don't know why, but I've observed it myself. Other people seem necessary for it to work, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Park editing was the other thing this game did new, wasn't it? I can't remember seeing it in Tony Hawk. I think those were the first challenges you actually did that actually really used the park editor.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Park editing was the other thing this game did new, wasn't it? I can't remember seeing it in Tony Hawk. I think those were the first challenges you actually did that actually really used the park editor.

Wasn't a park editor in tony hawk back to the second one? I can remember some of the Tony Hawk maps, like Montana. If it wasn't 2, maybe it was 3.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ovues posted:

Wasn't a park editor in tony hawk back to the second one? I can remember some of the Tony Hawk maps, like Montana. If it wasn't 2, maybe it was 3.

THPS2 had its own Park editor. It functioned similarly to how it did in 3. It was pretty clunky. I guess another thing you could potentially give to Aggressive Inline is that later on in the franchise (THPS4) it let you very slightly modify the main levels by adding or removing "pro objects". In THPS8 the level editor was its own section of the main world. I think THPSPG allowed you to add anything you wanted throughout the level making your own lines.

Montana was in every single game that had a park editor I think. It was the running joke of the franchise along with Ollie the Magic Bum.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Your month-long nightmare of Aggressive Inline is almost over. It's just this vid and a bonus vid that might come Monday or so, then we'll be done.

Aggressive Inline: Return to Museum

Text Link

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm sort of sad to see it go. I really like seeing Tony Hawk rip offs that in turn get ripped off.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Blanktester sounds a bit ill in that last video, someone should bring him some soup.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Houle posted:

I'm sort of sad to see it go. I really like seeing Tony Hawk rip offs that in turn get ripped off.

Well Dave Mirra 2 is up next, and that's pretty much Tony Hawk on bikes. I don't remember if there's anything in there that gets ripped off, but it's surely a rip-off of the highest caliber.

OK you all are going to love the Aggressive Inline bonus video blanktester put me through. It was... really something.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 3, 2012

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ovues posted:

Well Dave Mirra 2 is up next, and that's pretty much Tony Hawk on bikes. I don't remember if there's anything in there that gets ripped off, but it's surely a rip-off of the highest caliber.

OK you all are going to love the Aggressive Inline bonus video blanktester put me through. It was... really something.

Are you including Matt Hoffman in this LP at any point? I'd love to see Matt Hoffman 2 eventually. It's the only Non-tony hawk x-TREME sports game I actually played.

I'm dreading the eventual BMX-XXX though

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know, I could see a children's museum or a science museum having a "vault" sealed by a puzzle lock that you had to work out based on other stuff in the museum. All Professor Layton style.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Well, I hope you're all ready, because this right here is the single worst thing blanktester has ever created. It is the *insert terrible movie, book, album, fanfic, food dish* of custom maps.

Aggressive Inline Bonus Video

Text Link

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Since this is all about Non-Tony Hawk games of that era and Aggressive Inline seems to be the most Tony Hawk of the Non-Tony Hawk's. I'd love to see his imagining of the Warehouse level from the first Hawk game in the Aggressive Inline's level editor.

Overall it was pretty entertaining to watch and reminded me of what my friends and I would accidentally do when trying to come up with something clever or interesting. Especially with the way that the level starts.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Ovues posted:

Well, I hope you're all ready, because this right here is the single worst thing blanktester has ever created. It is the *insert terrible movie, book, album, fanfic, food dish* of custom maps.

Aggressive Inline Bonus Video

Text Link

Your stunned silence says it all. :allears:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Houle posted:

Since this is all about Non-Tony Hawk games of that era and Aggressive Inline seems to be the most Tony Hawk of the Non-Tony Hawk's. I'd love to see his imagining of the Warehouse level from the first Hawk game in the Aggressive Inline's level editor.

Overall it was pretty entertaining to watch and reminded me of what my friends and I would accidentally do when trying to come up with something clever or interesting. Especially with the way that the level starts.

Ehhh, I dunno, Aggressive Inline at least brought some things to the table. Dave Mirra had pretty much nothing new and was pretty much a cashgrab. See: Shaun Palmer.

Also it controls like a fish. You can't stop on a dime, much less a dollar bill. I've played and recorded level 1 and, sorry Thornbrain and other Dave Mirra kids, but I'm about to run train on this game.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
...I spent 2 whole days trying to put this on youtube only to figure out it's my computer that won't upload. Anyways, I can finally bring you guys Dave Mirra.

What is this game?
Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX 2 is a Tony Hawk-ripoff game where you're on bikes instead. There are eight levels, and all of them have their own sets of challenges, as well as an unlockable competition, obtained by getting respect points by completing challenges and gaps.

This will be a basic run through "Proquest" mode, attempting to complete all the challenges and beat the competitions. So, let's begin!

Level 1: Woodward Camp

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 9, 2012

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I doubt I ever completed this, honestly. I think I got to the last level, but after that point I just spent most of my time holding down R+L+X+Y (roughly; give or take the other buttons) to force my character to bail. There's a multiplayer challenge based entirely around how badly you can gently caress up your character from bailing, and my friends and I loved the hell out of it.

If you find yourself really not enjoying this game, try that with Blanktester and everyone for a little while. Good way to make your own fun.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
That custom video is HILARIOUS. You two share the sheer joy of idiotic creation.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

ThornBrain posted:

I doubt I ever completed this, honestly. I think I got to the last level, but after that point I just spent most of my time holding down R+L+X+Y (roughly; give or take the other buttons) to force my character to bail. There's a multiplayer challenge based entirely around how badly you can gently caress up your character from bailing, and my friends and I loved the hell out of it.

Oh my god, I didn't know you could do this.

It's beautiful.

Do you remember at all how the challenges were? I ask this every game, but if there is something where someone can go "oh you just need to do this, then it's much easier" I'd really love to hear that.

Or you can post stories about doing things the very very hard way, because at least I will get a good laugh out of it

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
A lot of the things you mentioned about the clunkiness seems to be just something that they tend to put in BMX games. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I just noticed that in Matt Hoffman and the biking sections in Tony Hawk's American Wasteland they seem to purposely make you control like poo poo as some form of "realism".

The level size vs. your speed seem to make that time limit really limiting more so than strategy inducing. Whereas in other games with a time limit it may make you look for a particular line or shortcuts in the level...it seems to punish you for exploring the level outright and just stay in the main half pipe.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Oh whoops I've not posted here in a while. The custom map was hilarious, seeing you chain wall-jump like that was really funny for some reason. There needs to be a more platformer-ish game with rollerblades where you do that.

I can see with Dave Mirra how it and Aggressive Inline are related. Mostly level-design sensibilities. Agressive seems to be a little more wacky with it, but we've only seen the first level so far. Hopefully there's another amusement park in the future.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Dang, that custom map was absurdly hilarious! It's like a comedy of errors, where the errors involve breaking your spine on every inconveniently crooked, non-grindable surface every 10 seconds.

And the Mirra 2 game...it feels like an unfinished beta compared to Aggressive Inline. Like the floating, hard-to-control physics that seemed aimed to make you fall into a bloody mess every minute; the relatively bland environments and character models; just everything in general feels like more work could have been done on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I loved Dave Mirra 2 :saddowns: I always wanted to play Matt Hoffman 2 though, the freestyle system looked really cool, I'm probably remembering wrong but I think it was introduced before the THPS4 freestyle system.

• Locked thread