Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
It can not be edited but that's ok - you under estimate the power of air burst HE rounds on upright soldiers who have to spend 20 seconds in a ford. We won't kill all of them, we probably won't even stop all of them - but we will gently caress them up. I gurantee it. We can't add more fires becase it would take at least six minutes to get a mission processed from our mortars. Thats why I'm bringing up those mortars to BP Carl, so they can direct fire Ford L

Don't worry, everything is going according tothe fire support plan I have in my head. We got this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Presumably we now have LOS on all but the most easterly ford? And can see nothing crossing on any of them? Which presumably means 90% of the soviets are crossing or about to cross?

Shouldn't we all just unload everything which has range on the ford?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

unwantedplatypus posted:

Why do we have 3 panzer IVs in that bottom screenshot?

Dammit, I done hosed up da Panzer bit.

I'll fire the game up and get you the proper layout as soon as I get home from work.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jos mulle annettaisiin ase, ruumiita tulisi ihan lähijunassakin, you see.
Grey, while you're at it - care to list to us which of our squads carry Panzerfausts and how many? Or do all of them have some? Are they all 30's and 30k's or are there any 60's (ie. did you set this in September)?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Grey, while you're at it - care to list to us which of our squads carry Panzerfausts and how many? Or do all of them have some? Are they all 30's and 30k's or are there any 60's (ie. did you set this in September)?

I'll have a look, but iirc all squads have some, and this is set in July.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Swell. If you can check if there's any of them that doesn't have a single one (which is possible) you could tell so we don't run into embarrassing situations when we really need our tank dildos.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

:siren:2.Kompanie/2.Zug Turn 6 Orders:siren:

Two fusilier sections in the woods stay in place to give cover.

Machineguns pack up. The northern HMG Quickly runs along the blue line to the next forest, then Moves to northern edge of the forest in I-14 and deploys there, facing N. The southern HMG Moves along the black line, then Quickly dashes to the woods along the blue line and Moves through the trees to west of the other HMG and deploys, facing N.

The flamethrower team and reserve fusilier section move in the same way, as indicated on the map. The flamethrower occupies the narrow wooded isthmus facing east, fusiliers go to south-east of them facing east.

Platoon HQ team follows the same steps, going to the middle of the wooded 'island' so the HMGs are in command.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

quote:

ForeverBFWC, take 2 of your mortars plus ammo bearers to BP Carl. Ensure they have a direct line of sight to L8 and can drop rounds directly onto the near and far side.

From my platoon or am I commanding 2 platoons right now? Also, any preferences on 81 or 75mms being the ones to move?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

All your tanks are now named.

In case its not clear.

RED - Readingaccount
Orange - Zyrden
Green - AnnEhilated
Yellow - Dagpeng
Blue - Yigmir.

All soldier squads have Panzerfausts, 1-3 per units, of the 30 and 30K varieties.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love people coming out with new and exciting ways to butcher my username. Anyhow, that should make it clear - any suggestions on what I should do here, folks? My plan was to advance north while setting my firing arc to east?

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

All your tanks are now named.

In case its not clear.

RED - Readingaccount
Orange - Zyrden
Green - AnnEhilated
Yellow - Dagpeng
Blue - Yigmir.

All soldier squads have Panzerfausts, 1-3 per units, of the 30 and 30K varieties.

:toot:

So I guess I'm the Panther providing overwatch on that ford, then. I know unwantedplatypus wants me to keep an eye on the fording area, but is there anything else I should be doing?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Soup Inspector posted:

:toot:

So I guess I'm the Panther providing overwatch on that ford, then. I know unwantedplatypus wants me to keep an eye on the fording area, but is there anything else I should be doing?

Ygmir has the tank on the south bank ridge. You've taken over readingaccount's tank (in red).

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Yep, you're right. I was under the impression that the Panther north of "our" ford was keeping an eye on the river, though.

But this wouldn't be the first time I've misinterpreted things.

Zyrden
Mar 25, 2012

Climbing gear.
Guess I'm not the tank I thought I was. I'll be moving to the keyhole at PL farva to cover that, and disembark dudes (fusiliers and flamethrower, no idea which ones) there.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
E: nvm

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 9, 2014

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
I was playing the demo yesterday and tried to figure out how to do a dismount in the middle of a turn, but couldn't do it. The dismount button greys out if I give a tank any other orders. What am I doing wrong?

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

eigenstate posted:

I was playing the demo yesterday and tried to figure out how to do a dismount in the middle of a turn, but couldn't do it. The dismount button greys out if I give a tank any other orders. What am I doing wrong?

Dismount is to order the crew out of the vehicle. Are you trying to give the crew orders after their dismount? Or are you trying to get passengers off? If the latter, you want to give the tank a pause long enough and give the riders/passengers a move order. As long as the vehicle remains stationary for a long enough time they will disembark. Note, you don't need to give the passengers/riders a pause, there will be an implicit pause before their move order while the vehicle remains in motion.

Actually now that I think about it, what you want to do for dismounting the crew from a vehicle in the middle of the turn is to specifically select a waypoint. Give your vehicle a few move orders, then select a waypoint and give the dismount order? Much like how you tell a machine gun or mortar to set up their weapon at the end of a movement by selecting a waypoint. I don't actually have the game open right now, so no promises.

VendoViper fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 9, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

eigenstate posted:

You give the passengers a move order. Note that they will not disembark until the vehicle comes to a permanent stop.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Nenonen posted:

You give the passengers a move order. Note that they will not disembark until the vehicle comes to a permanent stop.

Even a minute long pause won't answer? That is a shame, although I haven't played Red Thunder enough to have really run into this issue, most of the time in Normandy and Italy I was dismounting from trucks that I didn't want to have driving forward anyway.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

For some curious reason, units can get ON a paused vehicle but not OFF - the vehicle must have no movement orders to dismount. Which is funny, because it was done the other way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L32rban714c&t=130s

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
We'll want to garrison certain buildings ahead of time and make sure the Russians don't storm us with PPSH's, I saw we had a lot of semi auto mausers which will help but I think we should avoid urban infantry combat, and stick to the age old plan of letting someone get shot by sectoids and then murder them with return fire. (mainly by tanks at a distance and use infantry mainly to spot tanks and garrisons.)

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Thanks, I'll check this out when I play again. I'm not too sure, but I think also found a way to disembark from a stationary tank first thing in a turn by clicking the dismount button first and then issuing move orders normally.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
:siren:Turn 6 orders for 1st Fus. Comp. 1st Platoon:siren:

(Just in case.)

Picture aid.

Move at normal speed to the stand of trees just south of the ford (marked by the blue dot) and wait for 2nd. Plat to begin the crossing.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 9, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Samuel posted:

We'll want to garrison certain buildings ahead of time and make sure the Russians don't storm us with PPSH's, I saw we had a lot of semi auto mausers which will help but I think we should avoid urban infantry combat, and stick to the age old plan of letting someone get shot by sectoids and then murder them with return fire. (mainly by tanks at a distance and use infantry mainly to spot tanks and garrisons.)

X-com tactics the best tactics. Now I want a Wehrmacht muton trooper.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ANTI-KOM MONTHLY REPORT
August 1944

Führer is very pleased with your excellent progress. Keep up the good work! GERMANY, HUNGARY and JAPAN are particularly happy with your progress and have agreed to increase their funding.

ROMANIA has signed a secret pact with bolshevist forces and has withdrawn from the project.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
Orders for Panther "Brunhilda"

At the present moment, I see no reason to alter my present orders to finish crossing and move to D7 to dismount the troops.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Nenonen posted:

ANTI-KOM MONTHLY REPORT
August 1944

Führer is very pleased with your excellent progress. Keep up the good work! GERMANY, HUNGARY and JAPAN are particularly happy with your progress and have agreed to increase their funding.

ROMANIA has signed a secret pact with bolshevist forces and has withdrawn from the project.

Wolfenstein: The New Order: SS-COM
Funnily enough I had ideas for a TNO expansion where you play as the nazi's on the moon fighting aliens!

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Tentatively thinking of moving my tank up with Zyrden's to provide mutual fire support; I don't think I've got any riders on my Panther, so I'm guessing that I should be advancing into PL Shenanigans, correct?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Soup Inspector posted:

Tentatively thinking of moving my tank up with Zyrden's to provide mutual fire support; I don't think I've got any riders on my Panther, so I'm guessing that I should be advancing into PL Shenanigans, correct?

I'm fairly sure you have passengers. The original image of Grey's has three tank icons and six infantry icons in that bunch over the river. No one should have dismounted yet.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Hm, yeah. I thought that since they weren't directly on top of my tank that they had dismounted. Sorry! :downs:

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
Orders:

- Riders on the lead panther (should be Platoon HQ & 1st squad) ordered to move QUICK to the court-yard made by the four houses in E7. 1st squad will then HUNT to the tree line along the road in E7, HIDE, then FACE the railway station.
- Riders on the second tank (3rd squad & flamethrowers I think) are ordered to move QUICK to behind the courtyard in D6.
- My riders on the trailing tank (2nd squad & MG) are ordered to move QUICK to under the trees in F9 for now.
- I also think I have a second MG that was left at spawn. If so, have it (or anything else I have there) MOVE to the G-ford.

:siren: All tank commanders: My infantry will dismount as soon as your tank is stopped and has no further move orders. Simply giving a PAUSE between move orders does not work.

Edit: Oh god, I just read the tank orders; please don't drive into the courtyard. It's a tank, it doesn't even fit.

Horns of Hattin fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 10, 2014

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008

ForeverBWFC posted:

From my platoon or am I commanding 2 platoons right now? Also, any preferences on 81 or 75mms being the ones to move?

Your platoon. And it looks like you only directly control 2 mortars in your platoon (the other two are off map). Take command of the other platoon though, I haven't seen gbuchold post at all in this thread.

Grey Hunter, I need some help with LOS for our forward observer, I would like to call in some artillery on the village itself, specifically an area target that fills the area between PL Landfill & PL PoPo, with the center of the area being along PL Farva (reference: http://i.imgur.com/yNgORLW.jpg). I would like the area to cover that copse of trees directly east of the rail station as well. Can you see if the observer has the ability to observe such a mission?

For others, my general plan for the artillery is as follows: Once it is clear that the enemy is either not crossing at Ford P, or the majority of their infantry is crossing at Ford L, I am going to shift the 75mm battery and off map mortars from the ford to the eastern side of the village. The reasoning behind this is that our artillery is just not responsive or powerful enough to hit point targets that we find in the village, and our mortars would have to close to an extremely close range within the village itself to hit threats. If we use our artillery on mass area targets with low rounds per minute over a sustained period of time, we change our artillery from destructive fires to a suppression and area denial weapon. We won't get a lot of kills all at once, but it threatens any infantry that are moving up from the eastern edge of the town and we may get lucky rounds that land right in the middle of the squad. We'd also be forcing their vehicles to button up or risk losing their commander to shrapnel. If we make the streets dangerous to move freely on, especially in their "backfield", that is just one more way to swing the fight in our favor.

I am open to targeting suggestions in terms of the width and breadth of these targets, and their general location within the town itself. And of course, I'll cut off these fires once our own troops close within a 100 meters or so.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

eigenstate posted:

Edit: Oh god, I just read the tank orders; please don't drive into the courtyard. It's a tank, it doesn't even fit.

Which tank?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My reasoning for the below orders is as follows. We have a ton of poo poo south of the river. Everything we've seen so far from the ruskis is north of it. Either we're horribly out of position (I think this is unlikely) or we're being suckered into thinking that the Russians are all north (a maskirovka situation that I think is likely).

Either way I want to pull Russians out of place by drawing attention away from the fords by being big and noisy. I think they'll all be in the treeline to the south giggling away. Let's make them think there's something there to be worried about. Any attention we can pull away from our exposed crossings is good, right? Plus I want to fire guns.

:catdrugs:
2nd Company 1st Platoon

Orders (provisional on baccaruda):

:catdrugs:

Stay where you are. Light up anything that comes in range of any weapon, I mean it, make some loving noise. If the HMG is in range of a tank, I want it to fire like it's going out of fashion.

If nothing is in range, just spray bursts straight forward.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 10, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Veloxyll, is the one schreck team at the deployment zone yours? If so, you might want to be more precise with your orders. (And if not, also maybe tell me where the heck our other schreck team is.) :v:

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 10, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

lenoon posted:

2nd Company 2nd Platoon

Orders

What's this, grand theft wehrmacht? Land piracy?

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's platoon, nor his ammunition, nor his NCO's, nor anything that is thy neighbour's."

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I've come up with some tentative orders, I'd like to see whether they make sense:

1) Move to F9 (I'm trying to occupy that far right ambush spot Bacarruda pointed out)

2) Traverse turret to face the town (AKA squares H, I, J6)

I can't help but feel I'm missing something, here...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Valiantman posted:

I'm fairly sure you have passengers. The original image of Grey's has three tank icons and six infantry icons in that bunch over the river. No one should have dismounted yet.

Yeah, all your tanks have passengers bar Yigmirs.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

lenoon posted:

My reasoning for the below orders is as follows. We have a ton of poo poo south of the river. Everything we've seen so far from the ruskis is north of it. Either we're horribly out of position (I think this is unlikely) or we're being suckered into thinking that the Russians are all north (a maskirovka situation that I think is likely).
I love how you're jumping to the two least likely of scenarios and completely failing to see the most likely one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

poo poo, sorry! I'll change the orders. Meant 2nd Co 1stPl!

I guess the most obvious one is that the Russians are all going north, but I'd like to believe they aren't because otherwise we look like total dicks for having about 70% of all of our stuff on te south of the river.

• Locked thread