Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Xibanya posted:

Thread read-along.

Er, if I'm understanding right, I post my analysis of each chunk and then we all talk about it. I mean, isn't that what people do?

E: to clarify, I don't plan on doing one post per story arc, but I don't want to commit to one post per chapter either. I'd be telling everyone what chapter(s) I plan to read next and then everybody can get ready for when I actually post by reading it/them too.

I agree that's probably the way to do it, af - oh wait, wait whoops looks like I dropped something, dang

Prison Warden posted:

Okay so I have a proposal. For newcomers and Jojo vets alike. The Part 3 anime just ended, lots of people should want to read Part 4 because it is great so why not share the joy and experience the Golden Heart of Morioh ~~~*together*~~~

Let's Read Diamond is Unbreakable

I basically just made this up using my Stand. I think the breaking up will help us focus on particular parts one at a time, but obviously if we do one a week it'll take forever, and one a day schedule is pretty hard to keep to. So how about ~10 chapters a week? Sound good? As it turns out, with a few exceptions it lines up pretty close with each major "story arc", I suppose. So how about it guys? Are you ready for a crazy time?

This should hopefully remain fairly spoiler free. As you can see, we're looking at some nice, slice of life, calm, suburban schooltime fun.

Week 1: Chapter 266 - 273 In which Jojo meets Jojo and then a serial killer.
Week 2: Chapter 274 - 283
Week 3: Chapter 284 - 288 Cell does his taxes
Week 4: Chapter 289 - 293 Unlicensed dentistry adventure.
Week 5: Chapter 294 - 302 Koichi gets a girlfriend!
Week 6: Chapter 303 - 306 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gZvxpFWe9M
Week 7: Chapter 307 - 317 Josuke connects with his dad
Week 8: Chapter 318 - 329 The story gets real meta. Jotaro gets to know his uncle.
Week 9: Chapter 330 - 341 Rohan meets an old friend. Josuke has a crazy get-rich quick scheme.
Week 10: Chapter 342 - 353 Kira loses his sandwich. Yukako gets a makeover.
Week 11: Chapter 354 - 364 Kira gets his coat repaired.
Week 12: Chapter 365 - 377 The gang looks through some old family photos. Mr Kawajiri revitalises his marriage. Rohan plays rock paper scissors.
Week 13: Chapter 378 - 383 A new kid is in town! Can he and Josuke become friends?
Week 14: Chapter 384 - 391 Josuke takes the bus, decides he needs to learn to drive.
Week 15: Chapter 392 - 403 Mr Kawajiri gets a cat. Josuke and Okuyasu meet a stranger on the outskirts of town.
Week 16 Chapter 404 - 417 Josuke has trouble with origami. There is tension between Mr Kawajiri and his son. Rohan plans some home repairs.
Week 17 Chapter 418 - 427 Hayato suffers from Deja Vu
Week 18 Chapter 428 - 429 Josuke learns an important lesson about road safety.

Just an idea. 18 weeks is still kind of a long time maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

I agree that's probably the way to do it, af - oh wait, wait whoops looks like I dropped something, dang

If anything I'd want to make it longer. I don't think I can commit to 10 chapters per week, particularly when I also plan to do art analysis. Probably more like half a volume per week. I know, that seems like a long time, right? Hey, just more to look forward to!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Prison Warden posted:

The titles of these weeks already have me looking forward to things. :allears:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

setafd posted:

Honestly, I prefer the colored versions of the manga because the action tends to be intense to a degree that I find it hard to differentiate who is punching who - which is probably the point, but I wanna know who got hit instead of having to reread a page three times

Phew, I thought I was the only one.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Has Araki ever talked about what's up with the heart motif?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

When does the season 1 dub DVD come out?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sometime in September.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

serebralassazin posted:

Has Araki ever talked about what's up with the heart motif?

I don't think so
But if he did I'd think the reason would be "it looks rad"

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

hatty posted:

I don't think so
But if he did I'd think the reason would be "it looks rad"

Just like the reason DIO was half-naked for most of SC is "because he wants to show off his body."

The best thing about Duwang is the translator was probably learning English during the translation. You can actually see his English slowly improve chapter by chapter.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

When does the season 1 dub DVD come out?

September 22nd

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

golden bubble posted:

Just like the reason DIO was half-naked for most of SC is "because he wants to show off his body."

You mean Jonathan's body. :shh:

I remember someone posting this lengthy character analysis a while back pointing out that when Dio was in his own body, he seemed pretty full of self-loathing about how he was like his father.

And then he gets in Jonathan's and it's orgies and bloodsucking amidst philosophy discussion every week.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

golden bubble posted:

The best thing about Duwang is the translator was probably learning English during the translation. You can actually see his English slowly improve chapter by chapter.

Yea, by the end its a poor, but passable translation. Youd never have thought it would get to be that good when you got stuff like "Most crimes done even rats in the sewer would puke because of its sickness nature" at the beginning

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just realized that the black shadows over Jotaro's face in the D'Arby episodes were to censor his smoking, and not a cool visual thing to show how he hides his emotions with his poker face.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

mabels big day posted:

I just realized that the black shadows over Jotaro's face in the D'Arby episodes were to censor his smoking, and not a cool visual thing to show how he hides his emotions with his poker face.

That was just silly. What's the point of plastering a big black cloud over Jotaro's face to hide his smoking when you can still see the cigarette and every character around him is calling attention to the fact that he's suddenly smoking?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Since when has censorship ever made sense?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Forktoss posted:

That was just silly. What's the point of plastering a big black cloud over Jotaro's face to hide his smoking when you can still see the cigarette and every character around him is calling attention to the fact that he's suddenly smoking?

It wouldn't surprise me if Japan had a censorship system like the MPAA in the states in which they reject an episode but don't say why so it's up to the original creator to figure out just how much can be left in without getting sent back for more censorship.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Japan his always censored stuff in the dumb and most annoyingest way possible, such as pixelation.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Xibanya posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Japan had a censorship system like the MPAA in the states in which they reject an episode but don't say why so it's up to the original creator to figure out just how much can be left in without getting sent back for more censorship.

I just think their censorship laws have more to do with just covering up what they find obscene rather than saying you can't put it in in the first place.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also they have to censor stuff in a way that's easy to uncensor for the Blurays

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cross posting from the manga thread:

ChaosArgate posted:

Battle Tendency part 2 is now available digitally!

Comixology
iTunes
Amazon Kindle

If there's another service you can buy manga on, you can probably find it there too if Viz is a publisher on it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Also they have to censor stuff in a way that's easy to uncensor for the Blurays

They won't un-censor anything. They'll just do the easiest censorship possible for broadcast versions and poo poo it out. Un-censoring it creates a lot more work than going over it in black with a brush on whatever they paint this stuff in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That makes more sense, heh

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im just gonna say I thought the big shadow on Jotaro's face looked cool because i didnt realize the real reason it was there

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hey first aid kite, any way to shrink that gif you did of joseph down to av size?

this one

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

I cropped out his right shoulder to draw more focus to his face, but I can also do a straight resize if that's what you'd prefer.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I cropped out his right shoulder to draw more focus to his face, but I can also do a straight resize if that's what you'd prefer.

nope that's perfect. thanks a ton

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A straight up resize would probably look bad but I did this instead, how's this

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

dang, i like that one more. think i'll go with that. ty both

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Good job

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Fungah! posted:

dang, i like that one more. think i'll go with that. ty both
You made the right choice.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

You made the right choice.

it's really good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fungah! posted:

it's really good

Nuage
Jan 21, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

I am still holding out for Don't Stop Me Now for the first half and Killer Queen for the second.

It would be such an awesome get if they could do that. If they could actually perform the mindblowing feat of having the song that ANY stand is named after feature in the next anime parts, it would be awesome, but that would be next level poo poo.

e: this was obviously the discussion about ending themes for part 4 anime. Sorry this was a bit late, going through the thread from the start!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I might follow a long with this even though I just re-read Part 4 a few months ago, just to see the reactions.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hey kids! On Sunday I am going to be starting us off right with my take on the first three chapters of part 4. I won't always do "just" three chapters, but there's a lot to digest in these three as they lay the foundation for what follows so grab your favorite version of Part 4 and get ready, because Let's Effort Read JJBA Part 4 begins now!

E: and for those who don't know me, you can see my other :words: about manga here: https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/effort-series/

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Please tell me you'll be using the colored scans.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

did Araki color them? i was under the assumption he didn't, so it'd be better to just use the b/w scans

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He did not, so they look like rear end of course.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

He didn't, and the colored versions are the same translation as the invincible trio. I just started re-reading invincible trio and it kicked me over to the soft & wet translation after the first chapter which I'm sort of curious about but eh, I'll stick to invincible trio again.

We already talked about color vs b&w so I'm repeating myself but this time around I'm sticking to b&w though I do assert that a few of the panels are nicer in color. But you're not going to be able to stick through the whole thing in color anyway?

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Were the colored versions from an official release or just something that fans did?

• Locked thread