Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

What have I been saying for years now?

It's the entire Midwest really, the fly over states apparently have a higher rate of drunks go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone know of any good car related podcasts?

Smoking Tire
Gareth Jones on Speed
Hooniverse
Car Talk
Super Speeders
Car Stories
Everyday Driver

In order of goodness, but YMMV depending on how entertaining / irritating you find the hosts. I also listen to nerdist, smodcast and jay and silent bob get old. I do a lot of driving so listen to a LOT of podcasts!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I used to go for regular walks in the posh neighborhood near my old rental house and frequently saw a yellow SLK32 puttering around. I kept seeing him out so we started waving to each other when we passed.

Today I learned that I'd been waving to Linus Torvalds:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

blk posted:

I used to go for regular walks in the posh neighborhood near my old rental house and frequently saw a yellow SLK32 puttering around. I kept seeing him out so we started waving to each other when we passed.

Today I learned that I'd been waving to Linus Torvalds:

can you please kick him in the balls when you get a chance?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

stump posted:

Smoking Tire
Gareth Jones on Speed
Hooniverse
Car Talk
Super Speeders
Car Stories
Everyday Driver

In order of goodness, but YMMV depending on how entertaining / irritating you find the hosts. I also listen to nerdist, smodcast and jay and silent bob get old. I do a lot of driving so listen to a LOT of podcasts!

Not car related, but can I add:

Stuff You Should Know
Stuff You Missed in History Class
Reply All

to this already good list. SYSK is what kept me awake through my three day drive in the bus from Portland -> Phoenix and I actually learned a bit. The perfect driving podcast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

It's the entire Midwest really, the fly over states apparently have a higher rate of drunks go figure.

What else are we going to do? Get jobs?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

There isn't anything else to do

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

leica posted:

Security guard at a beach resort. I'm pretty much an adult babysitter, yay.

Sup security bro. It's fun dealing with children old enough to be your parents huh :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wow, Ken block's roll just now

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

stump posted:

Smoking Tire
Gareth Jones on Speed
Hooniverse
Car Talk
Super Speeders
Car Stories
Everyday Driver

Thanks, I'll check these out. I have a 45 minute commute each way, more of there's traffic. I go through a lot of podcasts too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I just found out that the rear "cat flap" tailgate on my Land Rover is apparently worth in the region of £200. Wow. And I wasn't intending to keep it anyway.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Stuff You Should Know
Reply All
Added, thanks!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Geirskogul posted:

Stuff You Should Know
Reply All

to this already good list. SYSK is what kept me awake through my three day drive in the bus from Portland -> Phoenix and I actually learned a bit. The perfect driving podcast.

Don't forget about Dan Carlin as well, for non-car related podcasts. All of his stuff is fantastic.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I just found out that the rear "cat flap" tailgate on my Land Rover is apparently worth in the region of £200. Wow. And I wasn't intending to keep it anyway.

Who says they are worth that much? I think I paid £10 for my entire roof and top tailgate..

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Sup security bro. It's fun dealing with children old enough to be your parents huh :v:

Haha. Most of the time the actual children are better behaved and more reasonable.

It's pretty sad when you're having to explain to kids that they're being kicked out because mommy and daddy are drunk idiots that clearly don't give a gently caress about anyone but themselves.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Who says they are worth that much? I think I paid £10 for my entire roof and top tailgate..
Checked some eBay listings, thought they were taking the piss, had a look at completed ones, seems like pricing is all over the place - but £100-200 isn't unusual.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Funny enough, October is the best time, but honestly it's hard to predict when you're gonna get amateurs that don't know how to act in public.

cool, when we get a trip planned out, I will be in touch about the better places to go. I just want to avoid the tourists as much as possible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

cool, when we get a trip planned out, I will be in touch about the better places to go. I just want to avoid the tourists as much as possible.

Any time in the fall (Oct, Nov) is the best time to come because the weather is perfect and it's considered off season so it's a lot cheaper. Gulf coast is the best coast, the atlantic coast sucks.

Winter is not worth it, and don't even think about spring or early summer unless you don't mind crowds of idiots and ridiculous rates.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Am I bad for listening to Adam Carolla's CarCast? I find some of it interesting.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Coworker's friend. Don't think that cardboard splint is going to do much.

In a tumbling class.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What the gently caress?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like stretch armstrong lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

In a tumbling class.

JESUS loving CHRIST :stonk:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Geirskogul posted:

In a tumbling class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkenTkJ9AkM

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

In a tumbling class.

Whaaaaaahhhhhtttt holy gently caress, I do a lot of first aid for a living and haven't seen that before. Hope the paramedics were rolling by the time that photo was taken.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Whaaaaaahhhhhtttt holy gently caress, I do a lot of first aid for a living and haven't seen that before. Hope the paramedics were rolling by the time that photo was taken.

Pretty sure that's a paramedic (or at least a fireman) in the blue on his hands and knees next to her in the photo. Holy crap that's a terrible break, amazed it's not an open fracture with lots of blood with that angle.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
:wtc: I can't un-see that poo poo. Fuuuuuuuuck

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
That's not real

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

Pretty sure that's a paramedic (or at least a fireman) in the blue on his hands and knees next to her in the photo. Holy crap that's a terrible break, amazed it's not an open fracture with lots of blood with that angle.

Bingo

Nodoze posted:

That's not real

If you say so.

leica posted:

Looks like stretch armstrong lol
You missed the Stretch Armswrong opportunity.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 5, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Geirskogul posted:

You missed the Stretch Armswrong opportunity.

You son of a bitch...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

When I broke my shoulder and collarbone several years ago, it was pretty gruesome. Appendages do weird things when not fully attached.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Arduino has me addicted to micro-controllers again.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Arduinos are sooooooo easy to use. I didn't know how great I had it until this class made me learn ARM on a discovery board. It takes hours to do something you could make in ten minutes with an Arduino.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Arduinos are sooooooo easy to use. I didn't know how great I had it until this class made me learn ARM on a discovery board. It takes hours to do something you could make in ten minutes with an Arduino.

Yeah, I started out on Basic Stamps and BoE crap when I was 12, Arduino would have 12 years old me salivating at the thought of how EASY these are.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 5, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

but can you run a car on them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

but can you run a car on them

With a relay board: Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT5fJBos-X4

The larger Arduinos can replicate most of the functions of something like Megasquirt. Granted, its not made to compete with Megasquirt or other dedicated ECU solutions.

http://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Speeduino

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 5, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is stuff I'd like to get into as a side project for my kart. Rather than dropping $300 dyno tuning my kart I wouldn't mind trying to set up something basic to log exhaust temp and RPM and try and tune it that way.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Have we figured out how to download a car yet because I keep needing to prove those DVD screens wrong

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man I thought I was fine and a loving Cheerios commercial made me cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

14 INCH DICK posted:

Have we figured out how to download a car yet because I keep needing to prove those DVD screens wrong

Well....I've 3D printed an Audi....

• Locked thread