Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Here's one of my favorite Vance passages:

quote:

Faucelme returned, shaking his head in puzzlement. He seated himself in his chair and resumed his reading. Cugel came up behind him, looped the rope around his chest, again and again, and it seemed the rope would never exhaust the coil. Faucelme was presently trussed up in a cocoon of rope.

At last Cugel revealed himself. Faucelme looked him up and down, in curiosity rather than rancor, then asked, "May I inquire the reason as to this visit?

"It is simple stark fear," said Cugel. "I dare not pass the night out of doors, so I have come to your house for shelter."

"And the ropes?" Faucelme looked down at the web of strands which bound him to the chair.

"I would not care to offend you with the explanation," said Cugel.

"Would the explanation offend me more than the ropes?"

Cugel frowned and tapped his chin. “Your question is more profound than it might seem, and verges into the ancient analyses of the Ideal versus the Real.”

Faucelme sighed. “Tonight I have no zest for philosophy. You may answer my question in terms which proximate the Real.”

“In all candour, I have forgotten the question,” said Cugel.

Much better than Pratchett, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Good choice, that was something I'd figuratively earmaked for the eventual review. Still writing about another book though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I think I was really high the first time I read Eyes of the Overworld ok

also I went right into it after finishing the short stories and was expecting more Guyal of Sfere and less Liane the Wayfarer - the Dying Earth short stories alone are good evidence that Vance wrote some nicely varied protagonists

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 12, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

my bony fealty posted:

Cugel stories are really great on a re-read because you realize, this guy's a dumbass and also a really bad dude. Rapist, murderer, thief, trickster, etc. But he's so likable!

Sold a woman into sex slavery to barbarian savages too. The same one he raped.

The only positive things I remember about Cugel are that when he took that wizard's mansion early on he did do some things for the locals and that at the end of the book he's had a realisation he's not the cleverest there is and finally doesn't try to gently caress over some erstwhile allies. It was a long time coming.

Honestly the only reason Cugel's saga isn't loving horrifying is because almost everyone else he deals with is just about as much of a lovely turd and the only victim for whom I felt unmitigated sympathy was the aforementioned rape victim. I remember reading that bit the first time and thinking 'Hold on a moment this is pretty hosed up, she wasn't even that bad of a person to at least somewhat mitigate this, this is ruining the vibe'.

Also condolences to BravestoftheLamps who's taken a bullet in the comics forum for having political views that aren't completely at one with the choir

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Were those views "comics suck"?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently reading Cugel's Saga for the first time and I'm not even sure on the "likable" bit. Guy is an rear end in a top hat. Entertaining, sure, but an rear end in a top hat nonetheless.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Cugel is consistently a terrible person except for one incident near the end of Cugel the Clever/The Eyes of the Overworld. We only root for him at the end of The Skybreak Spatterlight/Cugel's Saga because Iucounu is worse, and even that is a retcon.

As an aside, am I the only one who finds it weird that no one (even Wikipedia) seems to use the Vance Integral Edition titles? To be sure, some of them are terrible. The VIE titles for Assault on a City and Showboat World are absurdly over-long, Mazirian the Magician makes no sense as a title for The Dying Earth because he only appears in the first story, and there's a fair number of titles that are proper nouns with no meaning outside the context of the story. That said, some of the original titles are worse (Tschai is a meaningless proper noun, but still better than Planet of Adventure).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 20, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Neurosis posted:

Also condolences to BravestoftheLamps who's taken a bullet in the comics forum for having political views that aren't completely at one with the choir

He was capped in the Zizek forum, for something about disagreeing with the idea that George Lucas is probably an abuser because of things he wrote into Star Wars. Or at least pointing out that's where the idea comes from, I guess?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
botl owns and these forums need him more than they will ever know

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

the old ceremony posted:

:hai:

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
wow i just realised he's on probation for a month, fair dinkum mods

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
it was for dropping incendiary takes on marvel comics' sponsorship deal with Nothrop Grumman.

the old ceremony posted:

agreed.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Neurosis posted:

Sold a woman into sex slavery to barbarian savages too. The same one he raped.

The only positive things I remember about Cugel are that when he took that wizard's mansion early on he did do some things for the locals and that at the end of the book he's had a realisation he's not the cleverest there is and finally doesn't try to gently caress over some erstwhile allies. It was a long time coming.

Honestly the only reason Cugel's saga isn't loving horrifying is because almost everyone else he deals with is just about as much of a lovely turd and the only victim for whom I felt unmitigated sympathy was the aforementioned rape victim. I remember reading that bit the first time and thinking 'Hold on a moment this is pretty hosed up, she wasn't even that bad of a person to at least somewhat mitigate this, this is ruining the vibe'.

y'all need jesus, drat

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lacan in the Mist

quote:

As libidinal beings, we test reality in order to refind something. However, this reality is entirely symbolic while the object to be refound is real. This is why we will never find the sought-after “thing,” according to Lacan, but only a number of “coordinates” (signifiers) that point in its direction. The “thing” in itself we search for has always slipped away from us. For this reason, we are invariably gnawed by a degree of unrest and dissatisfaction [...]

- Marc de Kessel, Eros and Ethics: Reading Jacques Lacan’s Seminar VII

quote:

[...] Master Nathaniel seized one of the old instruments, a sort of lute ending in the carving of a cock's head, its strings rotted by damp and antiquity, and, crying out, "Let's see if this old fellow has a croak left in him!" plucked roughly at its strings.

They gave out one note, so plangent, blood-freezing and alluring, that for a few seconds the company stood as if petrified. [...]]

He was never again the same man. For years that note was the apex of his nightly dreams; the point towards which, by their circuitous and seemingly senseless windings, they had all the time been converging. It was as if the note were a living substance, and subject to the law of chemical changes - that is to say, as that law works in dreams. For instance, he might dream that his old nurse was baking an apple on the fire in her own cosy room, and as he watched it simmer and sizzle she would look at him with a strange smile, a smile such as he had never seen on her face in his waking hours, and say, "But, of course, you know it isn't really the apple. It's the Note."

- Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

Many genre authors have tried to write Hope MIrrlees’s Lud-in-the-Mist, and the novel is so persuasive in how it explores the relationship of reality, the supernatural, and truth that it has pre-emptively rendered their efforts redundant – Neil Gaiman’s entire literary career, for instance. The novel is set in the imaginary land of Dorimare, and its capital Lud, which is ruled by a self-satisfied bourgeoisie. Dorimare’s physical borders meet with those of fairyland, but its rulers have long since banished Faerie from their world along with their monarchs. They treat all thought and mention of the otherworld and its inhabitants with contempt and horror, when they acknowledge them at all. But Faerie inevitably slips through the cracks, and the events of the novel begin as the son of Dorimare’s chief executive falls under enchantment.

The conceit of Lud-in-the-Mist is that the reader is, figuratively, listening to a literary persona of Mirrlees narrate this story in the voice of cultured, sardonic modernity. This keeps Lud-in-the-Mist apart from post-Tolkienic “world-building” efforts whose authors value a misguided sense of immersion and verisimilitude, as opposed to the insight and awareness that the great fantasias of English literature have cultivated. Still, Mirrlees keeps the reader at a distance at one hand and beckons with the other. Her faux-naïve fairy-tale prose has a charming aspect of it, even if still betrays certain bourgeois sentiments, as we shall see.

Her deftness is perhaps best apprehended clear in her strangely bold choice of protagonist. The hero is not the unfortunate child of Lud’s leader, his sister, or a dear friend, but his unspeakably bourgeois father, Nathaniel Chanticleer. The story begins with great and entertaining ambiguity. On one hand, the gentlemen and gentlewomen of Lud are presented us in savage satire that belies Mirrlees’s conversational prose. On the other, Faerie is enchanting, but Mirrlees isn’t naïve enough for a proto-New Age lesson about a return to Arcadian innocence: Faerie is synonymous with Death, and its every illusion will easily turn into a Dionysiac nightmare.

As the novel progresses and the menace of the Faerie grows more acute, the bourgeoisie of Lud become more sympathetic and Chanticleer himself assumes a genuinely heroic aspect, and this development culminates in a journey on which he leaves behind everything familiar and safe. But even then the story has trod strange paths: social satire, cultural history, political process, detective story, and legal drama. Mirrlees’s satire is all the more pointed for her convincing psychological astuteness. She will on occasion and without warning offer what a reader may find to be a morbidly candid and startling observation that at times parallels Freud and foreshadows Lacan. Probably the most striking of these instances begins the novel with the introduction of Nathaniel Chanticleer and his encounter with the Real:

quote:

But after he had heard the Note a more stay-at-home and steady young man could not have been found in Lud-in-the-Mist. For it had generated in him what one can only call a wistful yearning after the prosaic things he already possessed. It was as if he thought he had already lost what he was actually holding in his hands.

From this there sprang an ever-present sense of insecurity together with a distrust of the homely things he cherished. With what familiar object - quill, pipe, pack of cards - would he be occupied, in which regular recurrent action - the pulling on or off of his nightcap, the weekly auditing of his accounts - would he be engaged when IT, the hidden menace, sprang out at him? And he would gaze in terror at his furniture, his walls, his pictures - what strange scene might they one day witness, what awful experience might he one day have in their presence?

[...]

From his secret poison there was, however, some sweetness to be distilled. For the unknown thing that he dreaded could at times be envisaged as a dangerous cape that he had already doubled. And to lie awake at night in his warm feather bed, listening to the breathing of his wife and the soughing of the trees, would become, from this attitude, an exquisite pleasure.

He would say to himself, "How pleasant this is! How safe! How warm! What a difference from that lonely heath when I had no cloak and the wind found the fissures in my doublet, and my feet were aching, and there was not moon enough to prevent my stumbling, and IT was lurking in the darkness!" enhancing thus his present well-being by imagining some unpleasant adventure now safe behind him.

This if of course a double-edged blade as a tool of satire, and it is hard not to ultimately sympathise with Nathaniel Chanticleer and his lot. The characters of the novel are mostly sketches, albeit vivid ones, and mainly present to express some fitting and characteristic passion. Nathaniel Chanticleer on the other hand is perhaps the most incisive figure to ever star in a work of fantasy. Mirrlees characterises him so that we see him both as a unique individual and as being of a very certain type, with both of these aspects inseparably intertwined – a pathetic bourgeois gentleman, a deeply sympathetic but foolish spiritual nobody gnawed away at by secret fears and pathetic yearnings. There is never quite complete transference between the reader and Nathaniel Chanticleer, save for the more sentimental final chapters. The great flaw of the novel is that Mirrlees never lives up to the radical potential of the beginning, and these chapters are where the problem becomes apparent.

But as much as the reader may sympathise with him, they will still be conscious of the distance between them. Thus instead of mere empathy, the reader experiences true insight. Genre fantasy will not produce another Nathaniel Chanticleer. Few, if any, authors in the field would dare to write such a figure. Audiences have been subjected to such a number of dark, subversive anti-heroes who challenge morality and common decency that Chanticleer’s bourgeois respectability now seems more audacious than, for example, the trashy nihilism of Joe Abercrombie or Mark Lawrence. Of course one will find counterparts outside of genre: Chanticleer is an Old World, fairy-tale equivalent to the eponymous hero of Sinclair Lewis’s Babbitt, the dissatisfied, striving middle-class conformist.

Lewis posted:

He was forty-six years old now, in April, 1920, and he made nothing in particular, neither butter nor shoes nor poetry, but he was nimble in the calling of selling houses for more than people could afford to pay.

[...] He seemed prosperous, extremely married and unromantic; and altogether unromantic appeared this sleeping-porch, which looked on one sizable elm, two respectable grass-plots, a cement driveway, and a corrugated iron garage. Yet Babbitt was again dreaming of the fairy child, a dream more romantic than scarlet pagodas by a silver sea.

For years the fairy child had come to him. Where others saw but Georgie Babbitt, she discerned gallant youth. She waited for him, in the darkness beyond mysterious groves. When at last he could slip away from the crowded house he darted to her. His wife, his clamoring friends, sought to follow, but he escaped, the girl fleet beside him, and they crouched together on a shadowy hillside. She was so slim, so white, so eager! She cried that he was gay and valiant, that she would wait for him, that they would sail—

Rumble and bang of the milk-truck.

Mirrlees posted:

"There are windfalls of dreams, there's a wolf in the stars,
And Life is a nymph who will never be thine,
With lily, germander, and sops in wine.
With sweet-brier,
And bon-fire,
And strawberry-wire,
And columbine."
Emphasis mine

After investigations, trials, and a journey into Faerie, the ending is quite happy: instead of a revolution, the reader is treated to a restoration of harmony. As mentioned above, the final chapters are almost unforgivably sentimental after the biting satire that characterises the first half of the novel. One must beware of over-crediting Mirrlees for her psychological insight, as she still provides it in a very idealised and pleasant format. It is too clean, to put it simply. What keeps Lud-in-the-Mist from being truly great is its ultimate conformity: for all her mockery of bourgeois conventionality and sentiments, Mirrlees can never quite escape them. Lud-in the-Mist is a poignant yet gently mocking study of human yearning, but poignancy does not make art great. It is at its greatest when Mirrlees questions and scrutinizes sentiment, when she refuses to naively say that the Faerie is superior to the Law, and instead that the truth exists beyond them. It is at its worst when this critical scrutiny is forgotten.

At the book’s climax, the narrative ventures into the heart of fairyland. Here Mirrlees’s makes her most poignant and sinister statement on the nature of fantasy. Faerie at its gentlest and most pleasing reveals itself to be a black void:

quote:

[...] the uplands became bathed in a gentle light and proved to be fair and fertile - the perpetual seat of Spring; for there were vivid green patches of young corn, and pillars of pink and white smoke, which were fruit trees in blossom, and pillars of blue blossom, which was the smoke of distant hamlets, and a vast meadow of cornflowers and daisies, which was the great inland sea of Faerie. And everything ships, spires, houses - was small and bright and delicate, yet real. It was not unlike Dorimare, or rather, the transfigured Dorimare he had once seen from the Fields of Grammary. And as he gazed he knew that in that land no winds ever howled at night, and that everything within its borders had the serenity and stability of trees, the unchanging peace of pictures.

Then, suddenly, it all vanished. [...] he was standing alone on the edge of a black abyss, while wafted on the wind came the echo of light, mocking laughter.

When we return from that abyss and are met with a restored, more wholesome order of things, Mirrlees has retreated to the realm of the comfortable and the pleasant. This doubtful reconciliation is a betrayal of the novel’s early promise, and seems related to the strange libidinal/erotic absence at the centre of the book. This is not to say that the novel is worse for the lack of sex or sexuality, for it can be glimpsed warped or sublimated in the novel: in the satyr-like deposed monarch who haunts Dorimare, for example, or in the enchantment of the Chanticleer children, which hints at painful sexual and queer awakening. But the character of Nathaniel Chanticleer is strangely pre-sexual, and even anti-libidinal, in his fear of the Note. Babbitt’s yearning for his dream-nymph in contrast perfectly expresses how an adult’s personal and political dissatisfaction intersect in a libidinal manner. Thus for all his nuance, Chanticleer is somehow incomplete, too much of a friendly and harmless buffoon.

quote:

In her own way she was fond of him. But her attitude was not unlike that of an indulgent mistress to a shaggy, uncertain-tempered, performing dog.
[...]
Dame Marigold, as she sat watching him, felt that he was rather like a cockchafer that had just flounced in through the open window, and, with a small, smacking sound, was bouncing itself backwards and forwards against its own shadow on the ceiling - a shadow that looked like a big, black velvety moth. But it was its clumsiness, and blundering ineffectualness that reminded her of Master Nathaniel; not the fact that it was banging itself against the shadow.

Of course, this in part endears him to the audience, but success is not necessarily synonymous with quality. He is so central to the narrative that it reflects on the novel as a whole, leading it back to safe conventionality. As a further contrast we must (finally) discuss the antagonist of the novel, Doctor Endymion Leer, who appears perverse in the bourgeois world of Lud: Bohemian, seductive, intellectual, a quasi-Iago whose past hides affair and murder. He is also a psychoanalyst driven to “agitate the sleep of mankind” as Freud was. He is most charismatic and psychically complete person in the novel, and Mirrlees evidently struggled with the character, for it is somewhat incomprehensible why he had to be the villain of the story in the first place. Mirrlees presents nearly the same question in the text, and cannot offer a satisfying answer: the conclusion is that Nathaniel Chanticleer is comfortable whereas Leer is not – familiar as opposed to the Other.

These types of limitations are what keep Lud-in-the-Mist a merely pleasant diversion rather than a work of art. In the end it is just a story of wealthy men and women growing more comfortable with something strange and foreign. At the beginning and at the end of the novel Mirrlees warns that happy promises of fantasy are not to be trusted, and this is perhaps the most valuable lesson any fantasist can impart on their audience. We, too, should distrust this fantasy to fully appreciate it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 6, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Few, if any, authors in the field would dare to write such a figure. Audiences have been subjected to such a number of dark, subversive anti-heroes who challenge morality and common decency that Chanticleer’s bourgeois respectability now seems more audacious than, for example, the trashy nihilism of Joe Abercrombie or Mark Lawrence.

Would writers in 1926 dare to write such a figure? The way you phrased this made me think this was a contemporary book written as a kind of challenge to grimdark fantasy. Instead it's a fantasy published a decade before The Hobbit.

It sounds like an interesting novel but I wouldn't call writing a character like this daring unless no one else was writing this kind of character at the time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Genre fantasy developed years afterwards.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is "a truly great work of art" the nymph you are seeking?

I'm kinda surprised you included this in your review because (as you point out) it really isn't a "genre" novel -- the only other people writing this kind of thing at the time were Dunsany and maybe James Branch Cabell depending on how you characterize him (I wouldn't count E.R. Eddison as similar) and all three of them were considered "literary" authors at the time. The conventions of the fantasy genre didn't crystallize for another forty years or so.

It's still one of the books I'm happiest about setting as a Book of the Month, it deserves more attention than it gets.

Ccs posted:

Would writers in 1926 dare to write such a figure? The way you phrased this made me think this was a contemporary book written as a kind of challenge to grimdark fantasy. Instead it's a fantasy published a decade before The Hobbit.

It sounds like an interesting novel but I wouldn't call writing a character like this daring unless no one else was writing this kind of character at the time.

I think Lamp's point isn't so much that Mirrlees was daring but rather that modern writers of genre fantasy would never include such a protagonist. It's a point about modern writers being relatively lame.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 14, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They're fairly easy to find when they're hung on walls in big buildings.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Shouldn't it be everyones?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Not if the truly great works of art aren't as entertaining as the trashy books.
If they are, then great!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

BotL, I don't suppose you can do Dan Simmons at some point? He uses a lot of classical literature allusions but I got the distinct impression they were there for points rather than advancing a cogent theme.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think he generally goes for things that have a fanbase here and the genre threads are pretty much in agreement that Simmons is poo poo and his one enjoyable book, Hyperion, was a total fluke.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

I think he generally goes for things that have a fanbase here and the genre threads are pretty much in agreement that Simmons is poo poo and his one enjoyable book, Hyperion, was a total fluke.

not quite. a fair number of people don't mind fall of hyperion, and on his horror books the general view seems to be 'enjoyable, but bloated and uneven' - or to proffer my personal opinion, 'goods 250 page books trapped in 800 pages'

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, OK, I actually enjoyed a fair bit of The Terror myself. Simmons can kinda work as long as you skip the actual explanations of things, those always end up disappointing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Shouldn't it be everyones?

If you can't be /

with the one you love, baby /

love the one you're with

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Fantasy-Noir Stew

quote:

Chef Yeats, that master of the use of herbs
could raise mere stew to a glorious height,
pinch of saga, soupçon of philosophy
carefully stirred in to get the flavour right,
and cook a poem around the basic verbs.
Our commis-chefs attend and learn the trade,
bemoan the scraps of Gaelic that they know:
add to a simple Anglo-Saxon stock
Cuchulainn’s marrow-bones to marinate,
a dash of Ó Rathaille simmering slow,
a glass of University hic-haec-hoc:
sniff and stand back and proudly offer you
the celebrated Anglo-Irish stew.

─ Michael Hartnett, “A Farewell to English”

quote:

Gordon strove to be a nice pimp.

─ Peter Berman, entry in the 2002 Little Lytton Contest

There is a class of authors and literature that wields elements of the fantastic – whether space-ships or dragons – to compensate of having nothing interesting to say. For them, the trappings of science-fiction and fantasy are not tools for storytelling, but its bare necessities. This produces drivel, for the fantastical is only ever enchanting if it is meaningful. The logical end-point of this process is fiction based on role-playing games, where elves and wizards are as unremarkable as the anachronistic inns, and few authors if RPG fiction can be said to have elevated their work to the same level of enduring hackery as Steven Brust. He is the author of the over-numerous Dragaera that chart the adventures of “charming” assassin Vlad Taltos.

In addition to being RPG fiction, the Dragaera novels represent a baffling genre-hybrid of “fantasy noir,” which in practice amounts to drivel that has neither the allure of literary fantasy nor the pulpy appeal of crime fiction. The world of Dragera is a mix of genre cliché and anachronism where magic takes the place of technology, and I trust I need to point out how this misses the point of magic. Instead of guns there are magic swords and fireballs, instead of telephones there is telepathy, instead of cars there is teleportation, and instead of Mafiosos there are Mafiosos. This is how deprived of imagination of Brust’s writing is. He also practiced the same with the Khaavren Romances, a pastiche of the Three Musketeers books set in the same fictional universe. Brust’s audience seems to be people who have been schooled so long in genre fantasy that they find Hammett and Dumas alien and intimidating for the lack of magic spells. Children can read Dumas, but some adults apparently cannot. Moreover, noir is properly a genre of cinema than of literature, but there are great works that are “noir-like” where we find the same tones of disenchantment, ambiguities, obsessions, lust, investigations, and so on, and which reach beyond pulp. With Brust it’s quite clear that we are not even dealing with something “noir-like”. Dragaera is not in any way shadowy, menacing, or sensual as one expects from noir.

Much like Hartnett’s Chef Yeats, Brust adds exotic herbs to spice up a dull stock, but nothing can redeem the flavourless “high fantasy” of the Dragaera novels, especially when everything in the can be traced back to the banalities of table-top geekdom: the ubiquity of magic is no doubt based on how common it is in games like Dungeons & Dragons, the division of the Dragaeran people into various clans with distinct roles and characteristics reflects RPG categorization of “races” and “classes,” the sarcastic banter represents a nerd’s idea of wit and savvy, and so on and so on. The central figure of the series is its anti-hero, Vlad Taltos, who is not so much a portrait of a person as he is a collection of traits: a sardonic attitude, a few quirks, and to certify the label of RPG fiction, a backstory that you can imagine reading on a character sheet (bullied by elves) and a character class (though like almost everyone else, he branches out).

Vlad Taltos is a professional assassin/crime-lord, not in any way resembling any real hired killer or criminal, but as the “charming rogue” type that Michael Moorcock skewered in his essay “Starship Stormtroopers”. John Gay and Bertolt Brecht showed that stories of the lumpenproletariat could, for example, make for immortal satire, but no one will be singing “Vlad the Knife” anytime soon. Jack Vance’s Dying Earth stories showcase an exemplary genre scoundrel in the character of Cugel the Clever, while the anti-hero of the Dragaera series remains a juvenile fantasy figure for the white suburban dweeb crowd (Vlad is part of an ethnic group looked down on by Dragaerans, but Brust is actually describing geeky self-consciousness rather than minority experience). Even Brust himself, apparently inspired by real-life tragedy, came to regret such callow storytelling. First he underlines that Vlad is a “nice pimp,” and then moves him to oppose and betray his criminal colleagues so that he can walk the earth, “like Caine from Kung Fu”. But it’s too little, too late, and there is no ultimately no real moral or ethical considerations in having a murderous criminal be the hero of this series of adventure books.

Book 3, Teckla posted:

"What we wanted to. We have the prostitution, which we'll have to close down or clean up, the strong-arm stuff, which we'll kill, and the gambling, cleaners, and small stuff, which we can leave alone."

It is hard to put into words how utterly banal Brust’s fantasy adventures are. Miracles, wonders, and monsters are all presented in the same modern, trivial first-person narration. And it is all indeed very modern, for characters tend to speak, act, and think like white middle-class Americans, often with embarrassing pseudo-wiseguy affectations. Their speech and thought are pragmatic, utilitarian, business-like, and anger at insults or threats are the only spark in life in the prose. No one speaks in the language of ideals or romance, and thus there are really no ideals or romance in this story of warriors and sorcerers – they are things for other people:

Book 1, Jhereg posted:

I thought about that for a long time. "No. For one thing, the Demon wants it known that the Jhereg killed him--that's sort of the point of doing it in the first place. For another, I'm not sure it's possible. Remember: this has to be permanent. By Morrolan's rules, we can kill him as many times as we want, as long as we make sure he can be, and is, revivified after. People are killed every day at Castle Black, but he hasn't had one permanent death there since he had the place built. There's no point in having an accident that isn't permanent; and do you have any idea how hard it would be to set up an 'accident' so he's killed unrevivifiably? What am I supposed to do, have him trip and fall on a Morganti dagger?"

"And another thing," I went on, "if we were to kill him that way, you can be drat sure that Morrolan would throw everything he had into an investigation. He takes a lot of pride in his record and would probably feel 'dishonored' if someone were to die, even accidentally, at Castle Black."

At times there is a sentimental turn with occasional validations of the value of family and friendship, which exemplifies the level of emotional power and psychological sophistication to be found in Brust’s work. And there is absolutely nothing magical about magic in the world of Dragaera, which occasionally wanders through the territory of clunky sci-fi. Death itself tends to be an inconvenience, a fact acknowledged banally rather than satirically.

As often noted here, fantastical elements are not in themselves enchanting, but only in how they are presented in prose. Brust’s mysteries suffer from the same fundamental problem, for they are devoid of any real intrigue or ambiguity. The heroes of detective stories seem to navigate through some deep schism in reality when they investigate crime, from which we get the protagonists of film noir who struggle against a broken, shadowy world that reflects their own soul. But there is no ambiguity in a world that can be understood perfectly, like that of Dragaera. Compounding this is the novel’s naïve trust towards authority: not only is Vlad Taltos good friends with the Establishment, he was the best man at Establishment’s wedding and godfather to his firstborn. His close friends are powerful elites who would be the antagonists and uncertain allies of any self-respecting pulp, but who in the novels can trivialize conflicts with their world-shaking magic and social influence. The nadir of this must be Vlad’s cheery meetings with his Empress, or with his patron goddess. Yes, gods are real in the world of Dragaera, and they are boring. That there is nothing enchanting about the world of Dragaera is part of its appeal. The banalization of the pulpy and the fantastical, its reduction into easily digestible slop, is the show.

Whether crime, death, mystery, authority, or divinity, Brust seems intent on rendering it toothless, and the un-sexiness of the novels is a category of its own. Pulp is sexy, but the Dragaera books are not: there are no romances in the proper sense, no affairs, no sexual tensions, no seductions, no damsels in distress, and no femme fatales (the hero met his wife when she was hired to kill him, which is profoundly less interesting than it sounds). On one hand this is laughable, but on the other it’s a mercy ─ just imagine if Brust were to dip his pen to contribute on the subject. For the closest example, the first novel features a psychic tracking ritual with orgiastic undertones. That the protagonist’s marriage is happy and fruitful before a reasonably amicable separation is a perfect illustration of the problem: there is nothing more antithetical to the principles of pulp and noir than domestic comfort and contentment, save perhaps for acquiescence to the establishment (already checked). Harold Bloom once stated that the sexual becomes the erotic “when crossed by the shadow of death” – a principle that seems eminently fitting for the story for a killer, yet this principle is glaring in its absence.

We have already observed the business-like language of the novels, and it is what contributes most to the lack of erotic charge that so greatly affects the psychic fabric of the novels. We see it reflected in how almost no one in Dragaera seems to be driven by any great passion or sentiment, save for the aforementioned flashes of anger. There is no room for oratory or soliloquy in this overly modern form. Even the revolutionaries are a stolid lot. We can also see this prosaicism in how Brust has written several books about the act of killing, yet his depiction of murder remains deathly dull. Assassination is reduced to a puzzle to be solved, as illustrated above, and the physical challenge of bringing it into completion. Questions of morality are little more than niggling doubts that delay action. This is not really a mistake; as already stated, the banalization is the show.

Book 1, Jhereg posted:

I thrust straight in, then, with everything that was left in me.

The stiletto took him in the left eye, burying itself to the hilt in his brain. He screamed then--a long wail of despair, and he lost interest in removing my head. I saw the light of life go out in his right eye, and I might even have rejoiced if I'd been capable of it.

Book 5, Phoenix posted:

[...] I still hesitated, undecided, until Loiosh, my companion and familiar, spoke into my mind from his perch on my right shoulder.

"Look, boss, are you really going to explain to Verra that you had a sudden attack of conscience, so she's going to have to find someone else to shine the bum?"

I started a small fire with the bark of the trees, which turned out to burn very well, and in it I destroyed the notes I'd made. I put the fire out and scattered the ashes, then I removed a dagger from under my left arm, tested the point and edge, and made my way into town.

There was the blood of a king on the back of my right hand as I stepped out of the Palace and ducked around behind it. The few moments after the assassination are the most dangerous time, and this whole job was flaky enough already that I very badly didn't want to make any mistakes.

As everyone knows, Aravind Adiga’s White Tiger goes right where the Dragaera series goes wrong. Like Brust, Adiga writes of murder and money, in the same flippantly modern, ironic, and demystified tone. But where Brust’s wit is dull, Adiga’s bile is acidic. Where Brust’s story of aristocrats and criminals is banal, Adiga shifts through the current of desperation and sleaze that runs through a cross-cut of Indian society. Where Brust’s portrayal of feudalism and inequality is thoughtless and incomplete, Adiga focuses on the endurance of master-servant relationships in modern, democratic India to observe the colossal schisms within the nation. Where Brust writes naively, Adiga sees nothing holy in class, religion, politics, or even family. Where Brust romanticizes a career criminal, Adiga tells the story of people who must serve men like Vlad Taltos – and who in response become men like Vlad Taltos. White Tiger is not a great book, but it is an enjoyable one. The reason for this specific comparison, of course, is because both Adiga and Brust identify characters with animals.

Adiga posted:

I realized that this tall, broad-shouldered, handsome, foreign-educated man, who would be my only master in a few minutes, when the long whistle blew and this train headed off toward Dhanbad, was weak, helpless, absentminded, and completely unprotected by the usual instincts that run in the blood of a landlord.

If you were back in Laxmangarh, we would have called you the Lamb.

“Why are you grinning like a donkey?” the Mongoose snapped at me, and I almost fell over apologizing to him.

Adiga is writing of the grime and unpleasantness that in Brust’s prose is banalized. Things brings us to that personal tragedy that Steven Brust apparently underwent. Brust, as the story goes, had a friend who was involved in labour organization and was consequently assassinated by the Mafia. This apparently forced Brust to reconsider the course of his stories. Beginning from the third Vlad Taltos novel, the underworld is now fundamentally hostile and destructive as it would be no longer be acceptable for Brust to uncritically romanticize a lifestyle of crime and murder. And yet this is what he does by sanitizing criminality with his anti-hero. A better author, of course, would have thought of that in the first place.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 4, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Have you actually read the Khaavren books or is that based on their premise only?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 13, 2017

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

Not if the truly great works of art aren't as entertaining as the trashy books.
If they are, then great!

I let out a belching guffaw when thinking on the plight of The Gamer who defines the value of art based on the duration which it can hold their attention, and how this scale places the worst novella far above the most grand painting.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BravestOfTheLamps quoting Dragaera posted:

I put the fire out and scattered the ashes, then I removed a dagger from under my left arm, tested the point and edge, and made my way into town. There was the blood of a king on the back of my right hand as I stepped out of the Palace and ducked around behind it.

Did you happen to omit a few paragraphs between these two sentences?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

As everyone knows, Aravind Adiga’s White Tiger goes right where the Dragaera series goes wrong. Like Brust, Adiga writes of murder and money, in the same flippantly modern, ironic, and demystified tone. But where Brust’s wit is dull, Adiga’s bile is acidic. Where Brust’s story of aristocrats and criminals is banal, Adiga shifts through the current of desperation and sleaze that runs through a cross-cut of Indian society. Where Brust’s portrayal of feudalism and inequality is thoughtless and incomplete, Adiga focuses on the endurance of master-servant relationships in modern, democratic India to observe the colossal schisms within the nation. Where Brust writes naively, Adiga sees nothing holy in class, religion, politics, or even family. Where Brust romanticizes a career criminal, Adiga tells the story of people who must serve men like Vlad Taltos – and who in response become men like Vlad Taltos. White Tiger is not a great book, but it is an enjoyable one. The reason for this specific comparison, of course, is because both Adiga and Brust identify characters with animals.

Adiga is writing of the grime and unpleasantness that in Brust’s prose is banalized.

I enjoyed the hell out of White Tiger, and this comparison puts a lot of fantasy in perspective for me, as in why I find most of it so goddamn boring. For all many nerds I've known wax insufferably about how fantasy fiction is superior to mundane fiction because it's "more imaginative," I find most fantasy imaginings more mundane than good contemporary fiction because bad fantasy (which is most of it) has a paltry imagination, a mere rehashing of tropes, compared to writers drawing from life.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Schwarzwald posted:

Did you happen to omit a few paragraphs between these two sentences?

There's a chapter break between those 2 sentences but no text.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Darling," replied Valentine, "has not the count just told us that all human wisdom is summed up in two words? -- `Wait and hope.'"

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Please do Malazan.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

I let out a belching guffaw when thinking on the plight of The Gamer who defines the value of art based on the duration which it can hold their attention, and how this scale places the worst novella far above the most grand painting.

I wasn't talking about entertainment in terms of how long it holds attention though. That would be a dumb way to rate things. I'm also not saying the entertaining things have more value as art.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

This is a thread mostly for looking at why your favourite sci-fi and fantasy is bad, in other words. This is not out of simple desire to mock, but because genre fiction is overwhelmingly bad, and I'm going to review its big names through a pretentious literary lens.

Out of curiosity, are there any examples of genre fiction that you think are *good*?

Any elf and/or spaceship books that you believe have any literary value at all?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If they did they wouldn't be genre fiction

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You should read The Kingkiller Chronicle.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
They've said good things about Peake. But I'd like to know what the 'from the last 50 years' qualified answer to that is, and, whether that's a null set or not, for takes on authors that at least seem to be aiming in a literary direction: Wolfe, Mieville, Atwood, Murakami, Chiang, say.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Thranguy posted:

They've said good things about Peake. But I'd like to know what the 'from the last 50 years' qualified answer to that is, and, whether that's a null set or not, for takes on authors that at least seem to be aiming in a literary direction: Wolfe, Mieville, Atwood, Murakami, Chiang, say.

I know BotL likes Jack Vance, and he wrote a fair amount post-1967. But taking your question in the spirit it was probably intended (i.e., authors who started writing after 1967 or so), I'm curious about BotL's answer myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No one's written any good literature in the last fifty years. This is objective fact.