Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

95% of iPhone users aren't thinking about any of this poo poo one way or another, it's the Android spergelords that get rage boners over this. Y'all wonder why your green text boxes carry a stigma.

I think you'll find, in the real actual world, nobody notices or cares what the hell a 'green text box stigma' is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Actually, I don't even think about these things that make my expensive tool I use every single day less comfortable and easy to use. This makes me the smart person, nerrrrds.

Lmaoooo

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

95% of iPhone users aren't thinking about any of this poo poo one way or another, it's the Android spergelords that get rage boners over this. Y'all wonder why your green text boxes carry a stigma.

I'm an iPhone user and I think this poo poo is all ridiculous for exactly the reasons they say it is

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

so you are the 5% compelled to defend Apple

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I think you'll find, in the real actual world, nobody notices or cares what the hell a 'green text box stigma' is

Lol

Let me direct you to the r/tinder thread where there are a poo poo load of profiles that say “if you text green don’t bother”

I’ve seen quite a few in the wild my self and it’s hilarious on so many levels.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MarcusSA posted:

Lol

Let me direct you to the r/tinder thread where there are a poo poo load of profiles that say “if you text green don’t bother”

alright, everbody calm down. What the hell is a green text?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

alright, everbody calm down. What the hell is a green text?

It’s what iPhone users see when an android phone texts them. It’s just a regular SMS.

iMessage is superior yes but it’s not some huge deal.

Well unless you try and type more than like 3 sentences in a text and it gets split up and sent all out of order lol.

Also videos are hosed if you send them.

Why hasn’t (maybe they have) google come up with their own version of iMessage?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MarcusSA posted:

It’s what iPhone users see when an android phone texts them. It’s just a regular SMS.

iMessage is superior yes but it’s not some huge deal.

Well unless you try and type more than like 3 sentences in a text and it gets split up and sent all out of order lol.

Also videos are hosed if you send them.

Why hasn’t (maybe they have) google come up with their own version of iMessage?

that is weird and stupid and I don't like it

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Google tried that and it was called Hangouts and it required you to use a different phone number for using it so no one used it and they haven't tried again in 6 years

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Google tried that and it was called Hangouts and it required you to use a different phone number for using it so no one used it and they haven't tried again in 6 years

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that is weird and stupid and I don't like it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok that’s what I thought.

I don’t understand why they don’t make something like iMessage but for all android phones.

Like iMessage is secure as poo poo and texts are absolutely not secure in anyway.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Telegram Messenger is a really good alternative, but good luck knowing anyone else who uses it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Telegram Messenger is a really good alternative, but good luck knowing anyone else who uses it.

I mean WhatsApp is used outside of the US and it’s great too but it’s not built in and a third party controls the data.

Edit: pretty much anything that gets you off the SMS network is going to be good. It’s ridiculous that in 2019 we are still using that poo poo.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
All texts on my iPhone have always shown up green.... I guess I never found the way to connect SMS to messenger

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

All texts on my iPhone have always shown up green.... I guess I never found the way to connect SMS to messenger

You might have iMessage off. I know a guy that turned it off because he didn’t want his texts showing up on his iPad that his wife used lol...

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
SMS is total trash and none of that is Google's fault, but it is fairly strange how they haven't been able to push their own iMessage-like protocol over the many, many years of Android. Hangouts came out far too late and that app is a weird mess that no one wants to use. But Google's very weird when it comes to picking and choosing apps to market, which is why Hangouts exists at all.

Also I don't think it's actually ever helped get me a date, but a couple girls have said to me in the past they're glad I have an iPhone because iMessage is so much easier for them... Not that I care now because I've been with my girlfriend for years. But we both have iPhones out of convenience.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 3, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hangouts is a decent chat app, I use it a lot

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That green box "stigma" is literally because the punchline of that insult is that Android users are poor, doesn't have anything to do with how some rare outside use cases react to iPhones.

It's almost always meant as "LOL POORS WITH THEIR HILLBILLY AND GHETTO PHONES."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Like I said, you're arguing against a highly intuitive design principle of iOS that literal toddlers and technically incompetent older adults are able to grasp immediately.

steve jobs isn't going to gently caress you, he's dead

also my android battery is fine and Apple intentionally makes batteries in older phones perform worse with successive iOS updates because 'lol gently caress you planned obsolescence buy a new one' so don't give me that battery talk mallfucker

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 3, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

also my android battery is fine and Apple intentionally makes batteries in older phones perform worse with successive iOS updates because 'lol gently caress you planned obsolescence buy a new one' so don't give me that battery talk mallfucker

Well Android phones just explode. :shrug:

Also your statement is incorrect.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MarcusSA posted:

uh if it is incorrect then why did they add a "feature" that lets you turn that battery poo poo off after there was an outcry when it was discovered?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4115331/apple-ios-update-disable-slow-iphone/

quote:

A few months after Apple came under fire for slowing down older iPhones, an update has been released which allows users to disable that feature.

The update is called iOS 11.3, which users can download by navigating to “Settings” on their mobile devices, selecting “General,” and then selecting “software update.” To take advantage of the new battery-saving feature, after installing the latest iOS update, navigate to “Settings,” select “Battery,” and then tap “Battery Health.”

there's also class action lawsuits going on against them because of it

quote:

Apple defrauded iPhone users by slowing devices without warning to compensate for poor battery performance, according to eight lawsuits filed in various federal courts in the week since the company opened up about the year-old software change.

The tweak may have led iPhone owners to misguided attempts to resolve issues over the last year, the lawsuits contend.

All the lawsuits - filed in U.S. District Courts in California, New York and Illinois - seek class-action to represent potentially millions of iPhone owners nationwide.

A similar case was lodged in an Israeli court on Monday, the newspaper Haaretz reported.

Apple did not respond to an email seeking comment on the filings.

it's definitely a thing that happened

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 3, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MarcusSA posted:

quote:

Nazrin Hassan, CEO of Malaysian venture capital firm Cradle Fund, reportedly died of injuries caused when his cell phone exploded as he slept. The cause of death was initially said to be smoke inhalation — but according to a statement released by Cradle, Hassan died of "complication of blast injuries attributable to an exploding hand phone." It's not currently clear what type of phone was involved.

good

:ussr:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MarcusSA posted:

Lol

Those aren't actually people, those are weird self-sterotyping advertisements pretending to be people.

sebmojo posted:

Hangouts is a decent chat app, I use it a lot

Hell, same. It's really good because wife and I have 3 phones between us, our personal ones and the business phone. When someone texts our business phone it does it through Hangouts, which means we get the message on every phone. This allows my wife and I to talk to the same client in real time on each of our phones, continue conversations and everything as needed. We can go to our computers and continue there, whatever it's wide open.

Pixel 3 takes phenomenal pictures too, also important for my wife and I and our business.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a lot of people I know use hang outs

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not owned

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Go on basically any page on FB where they make a joke post about green text phones and it's without fail a parade of people posting "HAHAHA CAN'T AFFORD A REAL PHONE."

Like lmao Apple is the height of bougie poo poo, and people here suckin that Apple dilz, fruity Apple dillDOCK for you to DOCK your Apple sucking dingo dong into foreskin style!!

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
From what I've been able to gather after studying the responses in this thread, Android users seem to get pissed off a lot quicker about phone choice. iOS users, on the other hand, seem at least moderately chill.

Why are Android folks mad about phones?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Actually, it's more likely that everybody's just trolling each other in this thread.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
I like my Galaxy tab s3, they are waaaay overpriced even used but Netflix looks good on it and it works as a mini not-windows laptop

Google software is ridiculously lame though, youd figure as a massive data mining company they'd have a great shopping list, diary, and note taking app with built in ocr but instead we get keep, a somewhat competent note taking app. I shouldn't have to download onenote AND a separate shopping list app AND a separate to-do/scheduler

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Actually, explosions are cool, so Android wins again.

SMS is total trash and none of that is Google's fault, but it is fairly strange how they haven't been able to push their own iMessage-like protocol over the many, many years of Android. Hangouts came out far too late and that app is a weird mess that no one wants to use. But Google's very weird when it comes to picking and choosing apps to market, which is why Hangouts exists at all.
SMS at least is vendor neutral so I can send it to anyone in the world. All the proprietary, incompatible chat protocols can gently caress off, I'd need like ten different apps to keep up with all the unique special snowflakes. Someone should make a blockchain based chat app.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Apple doesn't make anything that sniffs the Note 9.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

MarcusSA posted:

I thought they solved this problem in like the Nokia flip phone era. Ever since then every phone I've used has let me send and receive arbitrary length SMS. Somewhere behind the scenes it's chopped to however many characters SMS supports but to the user it's just one longer message.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Dude, this is completely and utterly wrong. Apple released a stealth update that throttled down the processors in iPhones that have a dying batteries, not the battery itself, so potentially the dying battery lasts longer with less power draw. I had an iPhone 5 with a barely working battery that would randomly turn off at 50-60% out of nowhere and Apple wanted to minimize that behavior for many users. But I disagreed with this move because it was done without user consent. It was really wrong for Apple to do that and they were hit with class action lawsuits. But it also has nothing whatsoever to do with "planned obsolescence" because it's not like Apple can download you a new battery but they did offer heavily discounted $30 batteries for all of 2018.

In short, you're dumb as gently caress and don't know poo poo.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dude, this is completely and utterly wrong. Apple released a stealth update that throttled down the processors in iPhones that have a dying batteries, not the battery itself, so potentially the dying battery lasts longer with less power draw. I had an iPhone 5 with a barely working battery that would randomly turn off at 50-60% out of nowhere and Apple wanted to minimize that behavior for many users. But I disagreed with this move because it was done without user consent. It was really wrong for Apple to do that and they were hit with class action lawsuits. But it also has nothing whatsoever to do with "planned obsolescence" because it's not like Apple can download you a new battery but they did offer heavily discounted $30 batteries for all of 2018.

In short, you're dumb as gently caress and don't know poo poo.

If you want to play the semantics game, Apple released the throttling update for entire models, not "phones with a dying batteries."

In short, you're a fuckin dweeb and don't know poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Elukka posted:

I thought they solved this problem in like the Nokia flip phone era. Ever since then every phone I've used has let me send and receive arbitrary length SMS. Somewhere behind the scenes it's chopped to however many characters SMS supports but to the user it's just one longer message.

You can send what we length you want yes but it’s chopped up and sent and often they come out of order.

I just saw this a last week with a girl I was talking with who was using an android phone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
SMS is unreliable garbage. Does it get delivered? Maybe yes, maybe no. There’s no way to tell. It can get there a week late. It can be randomly ordered. It can be silently dropped. Did that girl not get the “u up?” text that you sent her or is she just ignoring you? Better send 4 more.

iMessage is reliable, encrypted, synched between devices. With iMessage you know that she’s ignoring you.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

bradzilla posted:

If you want to play the semantics game, Apple released the throttling update for entire models, not "phones with a dying batteries."

Wouldn't it make sense to release the update for entire models, whether or not the battery was below ~80% health or whatever, though? That way the throttling could be activated when a phone's initially healthy battery begins to degrade beyond a certain point.

e: The thing I'm seeing here is Android users being incredulous that older phones get updates, actually.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

At least the one thing we can all agree on is that Apple suck.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

bradzilla posted:

Any smartphone in existence with an original battery will be dying after about 1.5-2 years of regular use, whether it's a Samsung, Apple, or Google Pixel phone. It's irrelevant anyways because Apple's had a battery throttling toggle in iOS for several months now. Not like Samsung and other manufacturers haven't made immeasurable mistakes with exploding phones, annoying Bixby assistant buttons, defective OLED screens, etc. We can play this game forever.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The iPhone has the wrong kind of RAM