Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm so glad we shot a giant rear end wasp and a kraken with a cannon.

edit; update on the previous page, spoiler alert, we shot a kraken with a cannon :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

At the pace evolved gently caress-off enemies appear I don't see how we can last the next year or two.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't know why this playthrough has so much awesome poo poo going on, but it's very entertaining to read.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't know why this playthrough has so much awesome poo poo going on, but it's very entertaining to read.

I think it's a variant of the LP curse - if so, I'd much rather see weird poo poo happen in software than to hardware, heh.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
While I expected krakens and poo poo, I did not expect the zeds to Voltron together into one. Whaaaaat the fuuuuuuck. :stonklol:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

By popular demand posted:

At the pace evolved gently caress-off enemies appear I don't see how we can last the next year or two.

You can kill any enemy on day one given the right circumstances*

And generally a working vehicle, running them over tends to do a lot of work

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
This LP is pretty amazing. I played this game probably 10ish years ago and my whole strategy was to find a grocery store, board it up, and live as long as possible. Then one of the updates added sanity and my characters would lose their sanity with nothing else to do.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Fighting crazy bullshit with even crazier bullshit?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm not going to check a wiki and spoil it for myself but I'll be sorely disappointed if some howling crazy poo poo doesn't get weaponized in this game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

worm girl posted:

The bulletin board lists a number of "missions". The first is expand base. You can do this to claim the 8 map tiles adjacent to where you founded your camp. Normally this requires that you do missions to build up the core area so there are enough beds to expand, but the mansion is automatically considered to have enough beds for full expansion. The downside is that you can't do much with mansions - all 9 squares are already full of mansion.

I note it says "Risks: None," which presumably means some missions are risky. Is that a risk to the base or a risk to the person undertaking the mission?

worm girl posted:

Alcohol is a great thing to use for food distribution as it has high calories and enjoyability and lasts forever.

If everyone's too tanked to be afraid, the apocalypse won't be a problem.

worm girl posted:

If you're not roleplaying, this is the way to go. These guys skin for a shitload of kevlar.

To be fair, wearing a monster zombie's armored skin is pretty metal.

worm girl posted:

This blue blob keeps trying to eat our loot, so we chase it off.

I feel like this is a reference to something, I could swear there was an MMO which had slime monsters that would eat your loot.

worm girl posted:

The M1014 is comparable to our Wingmaster, so I see no reason to switch. There's not much to say about it other than that it's one of the military's preferred models. I don't know that the armed forces use shotguns meaningfully in the field these days, but they do still have them.

I used to hear a rumour that shotguns were banned as weapons of war at Geneva, but apparently that was just something the Germans tried to make happen, and instead they're mostly just not used at war because folks like to be far away from whoever's shooting at them and vice versa.

worm girl posted:

We've got a goddamn kraken! Two huge tentacles thrash wildly in the water, dwarfing out boat and blocking our path. As we approach, we realize they're made of human corpses that have somehow amalgamated together into one giant meat-monster. Periodically, bodies, or parts of bodies drop off into the water, mutating into grotesque spider-limbed horrors.

These enemies are not supposed to be here and I'm laughing very hard at how badly mapgen has hosed us.

Trapped tendrils are enormously powerful boss monsters that spawn these little crawler guys, which are dangerous on their own and explode into poison gas when killed. If we don't get rid of these things, the river is going to become unusable.

This is the most awesome encounter so far, I've never seen a fight as wild as this when I played. Do enemies that spawn more enemies keep spawning enemies when out of the player's reality bubble?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Some stuff is simulated outside of the bubble (monster evolution, plant growth, trader stock updates) but I think spawns like that are not. The bubble is fairly big and they spawn super fast though.

The shotgun thing happened in World War 1, where Germans were using machine guns, flamethrowers, and gas. Shotguns are generally inferior to rifles, but one place they excel is trench warfare. They're a bit more accurate and easy to use at close range, and the Americans were really the main people using them. Germany tried to make the case that shotguns were somehow inhumane, but really it was just because they were scared of losing. The international community was not interested in listening to them be crybabies about it so they just put out a statement that any man captured with a shotgun would be executed instead of being made a POW. They never followed through on this threat as far as anyone knows.

Some faction camp missions are indeed dangerous. Madelene mentioned this with the radio, but since we don't have access to those missions yet I haven't gone into it.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 6, 2022

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like this is a reference to something, I could swear there was an MMO which had slime monsters that would eat your loot.

:argh: Goddamned Porings! (Ragnarok Online)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I never really messed with the faction camp or even jobs for NPCs so I'm glad you're showing it off. Might give it a try myself one of these days once I can convince myself to bother with more than one NPC at my side.

Also big fat lol at the tentacles. Tbh I've never seen them outside of where they should be and had no idea this could happen

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We need more cannon so we have a proper broadside.
Can you cast them?

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
The man thing armies still use shotguns for is breaching doors, and even then that's more of a counter insurgency sort of thing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tibbeh posted:

The man thing armies still use shotguns for is breaching doors, and even then that's more of a counter insurgency sort of thing

They have these wee shotguns that clip under the barrel of your rifle like an angry flashlight.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

They have these wee shotguns that clip under the barrel of your rifle like an angry flashlight.

I thought they were made up for CoD lmao.

Loving the LP op, obvious that effort has gone into it and updates are coming out at a good pace. Keep it up!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The Lone Badger posted:

We need more cannon so we have a proper broadside.
Can you cast them?

I'll be very surprised if this mess of a game doesn't do metal casting, but you can probably just weld together a thick rear end cylinder of steel much more easily.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Tin Tim posted:

Also big fat lol at the tentacles. Tbh I've never seen them outside of where they should be and had no idea this could happen

My theory is that it's wandering hordes accidently scooping them up into a passing horde like it does with normal zeds sometimes. I think hordes can work like that at least. I play with them on because static is just too predictable, but I do frequently worry about certain preset encounters getting fricked up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pantsuit posted:

I thought they were made up for CoD lmao.

They're real all right.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Speaking of thinking real weapons were made up, for the longest time I used to think P90's were fully fictional guns made up for Stargate SG-1. :v
Don't think I've ever found one in-game, do they exist in CDDA?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Jawnycat posted:

Speaking of thinking real weapons were made up, for the longest time I used to think P90's were fully fictional guns made up for Stargate SG-1. :v

That might be a better question for the general discussion thread since I don't think we've seen one in the LP.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

We spot an isolated cabin on the northern shore. It might be a good place to set up a little forward operating base.

The building is boarded up tight and defended by a guard goose. We swat it with out mace and it runs off, honking.

We haven't seen any mutated geese, and the animals seem to be doing just fine in the apocalypse. They're one of the few animals that's nasty enough to survive as-is.

We kick the door in, and shadows flee from the incoming sunlight like roaches. It takes us a moment to realize that they're somehow alive.

wraith posted:

A gigantic shadow, chaotically changing in shape and volume. Two piercing orbs of light dominate what can only be described as its head.

The living shadows spill forth from a vaguely human silhouette that stares at us from the depths of the cabin. It's no zombie, it's more like the ghosts we've seen during the portal storms! From the recesses of the kitchen it reaches out for us, but neither it nor the crawling shadows that bleed from it seem willing to enter the daylight.

We take a few swipes at the shadows from the doorway, but our mace has little effect. Even if one disperses, two more quickly take its place.

There's really only one thing to do here.

Sunlight spills in through the collapsing walls and roof of the cabin as the fire rages. The screams of the creatures are almost human, and sound like they're echoing from an unfathomable distance.

We gaze at our handiwork, trying not to let Madelene see how much we're enjoying this. Then, out of the corner of our eye, we spot movement from the basement stairs.

dementia posted:

A crazed individual, the bloody scars on the side of its shaved head suggest some sort of partial lobotomy.

Vacant eyes meet ours, and the pale face recedes into darkness, hiding from the inferno.

Perhaps attracted by the spectacle, zombies start to make their way across the river from Sharon. We manage to take them down, but we're ambushed by one of the crab monsters as we finish the job.

Hi welcome to suffocation! This is an effect we haven't really seen yet, but it can be very bad.

bombasticslacks on Reddit posted:

The system is very simple currently, as you are grabbed your oxygen value is set as 30 + 2 * strength. Every second you are grabbed you lose .5 oxygen per 2 zombies grabbing you (up to 2 oxygen at being fully surrounded and grabbed). Once out of oxygen you take 1-4 torso damage per turn. If you break all the grabs on you, you stop taking damage and go back to 'full oxygen'. The values for oxygen and damage are set identical to the oxygen amount you get when drowning.

I'm not sure why we're being suffocated here as it's supposed to only happen with multiple enemies (anyone in the thread know? is it a bug? We're standing in an open field getting grabbed by a single razorclaw), but it's still a good learning opportunity. Bombasticslacks has been working on making armor less unrealistically OP and this is one mechanic for accomplishing that. You used to be able to put on a kevlar-reinforced fursuit and literally stand in the middle of a horde of zombies and never take any damage. Now, you'll get appropriately crushed as the zombies trample and dogpile you.

There are some obvious ways to avoid/escape this situation. Don't get surrounded, always keep an exit at your back, keep a handgun on you so you can quickly kill something that's grabbing you, and use martial arts that have grab break techniques. This mechanic hasn't been a noticable issue for us during this entire playthrough which I was a bit surprised by, but here it is. I imagine it could be very deadly if you broke a leg or fell off a building into a crowd or something. The system is a bit simple currently and many expansions are planned, with certain gear or abilities making you much more resistant to this kind of effect.

We kill the crab, and in the process catch another glimpse of that ashen face in the basement below the burning cabin. Something doesn't seem right here, that's not a zombie.

"I have to go check that out. If I don't come back, just take the boat and go home."

The basement is little more than an earthen pit dug out around the concrete foundation. It is filled with trash and rubble, and has partially collapsed as the ground floor has come down.

The person we saw peeking at us rushes forward, flailing and clawing. They shriek and moan like an animal, but we can already tell they're no mutant. They're so emaciated it's difficult to place their age or gender.

Our mace crushes their skull, and more rush out. Each has the same pattern of scarring across their head, drawing snakelike lines across a patchy scalp. Whatever was done to them must have been months ago at least, and it doesn't look like particularly professional work.

We fight our way forward, more out of morbid curiosity than anything. Who the hell were these people? Who did this to them?

The final chamber is an absolute horror show. The shattered remains of three rows of pews face a mockery of an altar, to which is chained a grisly tableau.

blood sacrifice posted:

A defiled human body, once living. Tortured to death long ago, it remains chained to the altar, the putrescent flays of its peeled skin quivering like so much flotsam upon a murky pond.

It's been gussied up in a wedding gown, soaked through with blood that still somehow flows. It's like a parody of the Virgin Mary, a sacrificial bride offered up to whatever unknowable evil has doomed the world. The thing has since come back as a zombie, but it's no threat chained up as it is.

Our knuckles go white around the handle of our mace. We step through the wreckage and put the poor fucker to rest.

This will stay with us for a long time.

There's a cell in the back, really only big enough for one. Was this where they kept that poor woman? Were the others here...willingly?

We emerge and stride purposefully out of the burning building as flames rage all around us. We feel the searing heat on our skin and relish the choking purity of the smoke.

"Are you OK? What was down there?"

"...Gray?"

"Nothing. Just a couple of monsters."

Fire is all this world deserves.

We make it to the other shore after resting up, and begin our assault on the west end of Sharon.

zombie wrestler posted:

A slab of festering muscle the size of a well-toned bodybuilder. Seems eager to strangle the life from you.

We could use a good fight.

gently caress

"Urf!"

This thing starts kicking the absolute poo poo out of both of us.

We bring out a foreign object. It's against the rules, but there are no referees in the apocalypse.

Madelene finishes it off.

We realize we've pulled up a bit too close to the town, and thanks to our gunfire we've turned a casual infiltration into Normandy beach.

Not far off, we watch a bizarre looking giant wasp try to capture a cockroach the size of a shih tzu.

We push forward, slaying our way through the crowd. We're attacked by some of those horrible hand bats, but these are covered in living shadows like the ones in the cabin. Are they somehow related?

In a SWAT van we find some ammo. 5.56 and shotgun slugs.

Shotgun slugs are played up a lot in media. People talk about cops using them to shoot through engine blocks of cars, but really they're just a cheaty way to turn your shotgun into kind of a bad rifle. It is a large round with a good deal of powder in it, but shotguns lack many of the qualities you want in a rifle and to a certain extent the slug's mass works against it. What you wind up with is a bullet with similar power to something like 5.56, but relatively terrible accuracy and range.

What they do offer is versatility, especially in a tube-feeder. If we want to run a shotgun, we can keep a variety of different types of shells. 00 Shot is great for taking out soft targets or blasting enemies at point blank range, but a rifle slug will give us decent penetration and power at medium range, where our shot would normally fall off. They're great for dealing with medium-armored enemies that we don't want to get close to.

On one of our trips back to the boat, we spot something terrible.

headless horror posted:

This headless zombie has swollen to frightening proportions, towering almost nine feet tall. Six-foot-long feelers of black ooze blindly wave from its neck, violently twitching at nearby sounds, and it moves at terrifying speed with its grotesquely-swollen hands.

The headless horror is the final stage of evolution for the brainless zombie. It's hard to convey in a screenshot LP, but brainless zombies often feel like the butt of a joke because they tend to just wander around aimlessly or show up long after the real fighting is over, and they're pretty weak. The headless horror is one of the funniest glow ups in the game, being on par with the skeletal juggernaut in terms of power, but much faster and lacking the armor.

They can smell and hear just fine, so really they aren't too hard to avoid in the daytime. It's also easy to get them hung up on stuff as they'll start bashing vehicles to get to you, and then get distracted by their own bashing sounds since they can't see you. God help you if there are boomers or screamers around, though.

We shoot it down and get some rest. The next day, we're back at it.

The y is a dragonfly naiad. They're little swimmy guys with a reach attack on their bite. They're super annoying, but can't do anything if you're more than 1 tile away from the water.

We spot what must be a further mutation of the zombie swimmers we sometimes see. As if we didn't have enough reasons to stay out of the water.

For hours, we wage war on the former people of Sharon.

Eventually we fight our way back to the edge of town and spot this massive bloater pressed up against an empty window frame, trying to squeeze its bulk out. It's like a horrible Play-doh factory.

Large zombies can't fit through windows. This can be life-saving if you remember it in the right moment. Also :laffo: at Madelene's quote there.

These big ones can be dangerous, so we calmly stand back and shoot at it until it explodes.

A massive column of smoke approaches from the river, surrounding a powerful-looking zombie drawn by the sound.

Another out of place ultica sprite.

The smoke makes it too hard to shoot at, so we make sure our masks are good and close in for some melee combat. It's not as bad as the wrestlers, but this thing gives us a run for our money.

There's another group of highly mutated zombies to deal with. We move in to deal with the bloater and suddenly another skeletal juggernaut Kool-Aid mans out of a house, sending debris flying!

They don't fit through windows, but they're strong enough to punch through walls.

We have to fall back. We drop our mace and unsling our M16, spraying 5.56 at the oncoming undead.

The rifle takes out the other two without any trouble, but the giant's bony plates seem particularly bullet resistant. We switch to burst fire and dump the entire mag on it, which finally does the trick.

Madelene goes back to the boat to rest while we pick over the remains.

Our gear is failing us. Whoever made this mace probably didn't anticipate we'd be smashing down doors and crushing hundreds of mutated zombies with it.

This is a consequence of the recent update - blocking with weapons often damages them. Our poor mace has taken quite a beating. This has reduced its base damage by 8, so we really want to get it repaired soon.

We spot an ice cream truck. Those freezers in the back could be useful, we'll try to remember to come back for them.

We also find some ivermectin. We remember this stuff from the news, but more importantly we remember that it's actually for killing parasites. With all the giant bugs and mutant meat we deal with, it would probably be a good idea to have this on hand.

We haven't had any parasites yet, but antiparasitic drugs will purge your body of them and are an essential first aid item.

How many of these loving things are there? We try to take it out like the last one, but it gets our arm so bad we can't use our mace or our rifle. We stagger backward on the grass and level our Beretta at it, but the shots all ricochet off its bony armor.

It's easy to overlook pistols in the late game, but the fact that you can use them even if one of your arms is badly injured makes them indispensible. You should always have one on you.

Things seem hopeless for a moment, but our legs still work fine. We scramble away from the lumbering colossus.

We take the boat out to the middle of the river, pop a codeine, and bandage our wounds. Nothing's broken, right?

A few hours later we're feeling strong enough to tote a rifle again. It's right where we left it, so we grab it up and mow the enemy down.

Get off!

After clearing out the remainder of the horde, we look over the loot. One of the acid soldier zombies we encountered had an IFAK pouch with some strange medicine inside. The label informs us it's a prophylactic antivenom to be taken before exposure to chemical weapons.

This stuff doesn't do anything after you've been poisoned, but it will reduce the impact of incoming poisons while it's active. Another useful thing to have around. The vial gives us five doses, which is great.

An IFAK pouch is just an Individual First Aid Kit. The contents can vary, but in CDDA they usually contain gauze, hemostatic powder, and bandages, but no antiseptic.

We get the loot back to the boat around sundown. We spotted a gun shop, but the windows are barred. We'll need a hacksaw to get in.

It takes a few minutes and makes a bit of noise, but we are able to saw the bars off the window and gain entry.

This is faster if you use an acetylene torch.

Inside, we find the famous Mosin-Nagant. We're grabbing it because it's cool, but we'll probably never find much ammo for it.

The Mosin-Nagant, made famous in the gaming world by Metal Gear Solid 3, is one of the most widely used bolt-action rifles in history. Originally manufactured in 1891, it's been used on every inhabited continent in at least 39 wars and has seen use by communists, fascists, freedom fighters, imperialists, capitalists, and criminals. Though widely thought of today as a sniper rifle, it's been used for a variety of purposes, first employed as a general-use weapon before semiautomatics and sniper rifles became the standard.

The most successful female and male snipers in history, Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Simo Häyhä, who are credited with 309 and 505 confirmed kills respectively, both made extensive use of this rifle. This is partly due to them being two of the hardest motherfuckers in history, but some credit has to be given to the weapon. It's eminently reliable, sturdy, and is effective at almost 900 meters. Both of these shooters have very cool stories and you should look them up if you don't know the names.

7.62x54mmR, also known as 7.62 Russian, is one of like eight different 7.62 rounds I can think of off the top of my head, and it is incompatible with all the others. 7.62 in this designation refers to the diameter of the bullet (specifically on the raised portions between the rifling grooves), with 54mm referring to the case length and the R meaning the casing is rimmed, with a wider "foot" at the base. This is different from 7.62x39, AKA 7.62 Soviet, which is a slightly shorter cartridge that you'd put in an AK-47. There's also 7.62x51, AKA 7.62 NATO, which is a similarly-sized bullet that goes in rifles chambered for .308. Got it? No? Me neither. Anyway, 7.62x54mmR is a really nice bullet for an old-timey sniper rifle that compares favorably against 30-.06, which we've discussed before.

The takeaway is that it's a stronger bullet than our 5.56 that goes really far very accurately, and we don't have any.

We also find a Mini-14. Our M16 is still probably better, but we grab it because Hannibal used it on the A-Team and that's cool.

The Mini-14 is a straight upgrade over the AR-15, being lighter and more accurate, but doesn't have burst or full auto.

Outside, we encounter a weird, bluish-looking bloater.

sleepwalker zombie posted:

A zombie swollen with a bluish, oddly sweet smelling gas. It stumbles around even more than regular zombies, as if heavily intoxicated.

Ominous. This looks like the gas the riot control bots use.

It is ENDLESS.

We spot one of the biggest zombies we've seen yet. The thing is built like a tank, and it's fast.

zombie hulk posted:

A human corpse swollen to the size of six men, with arms as wide as trash cans.

It doesn't look armored, so we blast it with our Beretta. We can see dozens more down the street, it's time to get home.

On the boat ride, one of the crab monsters smashes out the back of our boat and tries to pull Madelene out into the river! We are able to fight it off, but its shrieking leaves us both dazed.

We get home, see to our wounds, and work on fixing our gear. Getting our mace repaired is a top priority.

Some gear (clothes, usually) can be reinforced, which slightly raises its durability over the usual maximum. This usually isn't possible with metal items.

We've grown pretty comfortable with our M16 now.

You need 2 ranks in a gun type to apply mods to it, usually.

We decide to slap an underslung shotgun onto it. We frequently get into very close quarters fights with this thing, and a little extra firepower would not go amiss.

It makes it a bit harder to handle, but the addition of an adjustable stock and a rail laser sight has us feeling much better.

Look at that aim speed increase!

We take some time to repair the boat. It'll need new solar panels before we can take it out again, but at least the cabin is secure.

We've been taking a beating out there, and frankly it's probably down to our gear. The chitin armor is great protection for our torso, but it doesn't cover our arms very well. If something hits one of the plates we can usually shrug it off, but there's a lot of area that just isn't covered.

This seems to be a general trend in updates to armor lately - pieces that cover the outer areas seem to have less base coverage. Since we're often blocking attacks with our arms, 36% coverage isn't really going to cut it. We wind up taking a lot of chip damage that wears us down. This annoys some people, but we are survivors. As the game changes, so must we improvise, adapt, and overcome.

We decide to take our huge wooden barrel to the gas station.

The meter says we pumped 27 gallons of gas. It cost us like 250 bucks, but money is basically worthless for anything else now so whatever.

We take the gasoline home and head east down the road, looking for solar panels. There were enough electric cars and solar-powered houses before things went to poo poo, maybe we'll find one or two.

That was easy. Let's find some more, that will surely also be easy.

oh god oh gently caress

This is a giant wasp queen, which is cow-sized instead of man-sized like the regular wasp queen we killed a while back. It's significantly more dangerous.

We dump a magazine into it, getting stung once for our trouble.

The sound draws down the rest of the hive, plus some ferals and a bunch of hand scorpion bat guys. Our mace, newly repaired, is actually destroyed in the melee, so we shoot what we can and peel out before they can pull us off our bike.

The mace was actually a victim of friendly fire. I tried to use the underslung shotgun and some stray buckshot hit it where I left it on the ground and destroyed it. I couldn't work that into the narrative but it was funny.

Pour one out for the mace, we'll need a new weapon.

The ironshod quarterstaff is a fantastic choice for anyone who didn't dump strength. The base damage is lower than the mace, but it's better at blocking, includes sweep attack so enemies will be able to retaliate less often, and has rapid strike to help ensure we're not wasting time or stamina overkilling weak enemies.

We change out of our old kevlar jumpsuit and into the new flameproof one - it's heavier and will protect us better, plus it's fireproof. We finally ditch our wasp-shell armor and pull on a new piece of our own creation, a waterproof duster made of leather and kevlar.

These things are the poo poo. They have tons of storage and really nice coverage without adding too much encumbrance. Depending on your kit/build, you may want to make the survivor trenchcoat instead, which doesn't cover the legs. You can also make a sleeveless version of either the duster or trenchcoat. That kind of modularity is great.

There are a bunch of nut trees around, and since it's fall, we can gather nuts. We pick a bag of hazelnuts and spend an hour shelling them, then use the food processor to mulch them up into hazelnut butter. Nuts keep really well and are versatile, healthy, and tasty. We'll want to do a big harvest before winter hits.

Thus armed, we begin preparations for another push into Sharon.

PB&M is frankly superior to peanut butter and honey :colbert:

Sorry this one took a bit longer than usual, I had such a bad hangover on Sunday that I lost an entire day of productivity, and also as time goes on in the LP I have to play longer to get the same amount of update just due to the increasing complexity of what's going on and the fact that I'm encountering new mechanics/enemies/areas less frequently. Also the game is a lot harder. In fact I would say the midgame we're now in is significantly harder than it was when I played even just a year ago. I have to really struggle to keep Gray alive even when fighting just one or two top tier zombies.

Jawnycat posted:

They do! They're really cool and interesting guns and I hope to find one so I can talk about FN's weird caliber and pop culture legacy.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 8, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I read pb&m as "peanut butter and mustard".

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly it feels like the mutations get kind of ridiculous as time goes on.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oh god oh gently caress zombie hulks. They have ended so many runs for me because when one kool aids out just in front of you and punches you through a wall, it usually loving hurts.

It also feels like there's more Weird Occult poo poo going on than when I last played. Clearly we need to find a wizard hat and robe to fit with the times.

PS: There's a quote tag and an italics tag near the start of the latest post that haven't been closed.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh god oh gently caress zombie hulks. They have ended so many runs for me because when one kool aids out just in front of you and punches you through a wall, it usually loving hurts.

It also feels like there's more Weird Occult poo poo going on than when I last played. Clearly we need to find a wizard hat and robe to fit with the times.

PS: There's a quote tag and an italics tag near the start of the latest post that haven't been closed.

Zombie hulks can spawn on day 1 in certain circumstances, I think they're in the spawn table for some of the junkyards. IMO they're one of the hardest final evolutions even though they're meant to be the most basic one. 130 speed is loving horrible when you combine it with 480 HP and 4d8 damage.

The cult basement seems like it's been in the game for a super long time, but I've never seen it before. All the portal storm stuff is very new though, and amazing.

PS thanks I fixed it!

Keldulas posted:

Honestly it feels like the mutations get kind of ridiculous as time goes on.

I'm really struggling to keep up. I think the devs are trying to curb some of the worst cheese strats with the latest rounds of gear nerfs and monster buffs and I appreciate that, but it feels like currently things have swung a little bit too far in the zombies' favor. That's just how open source development goes though, in six months it'll be the other way around.

I usually slow down the monster evolution speed in world gen. IMO it's more fun if things don't really go to poo poo until year 2, but for this LP we're running at vanilla speed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

A land so freaky even the great Cthulhu just gives up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

worm girl posted:

Zombie hulks can spawn on day 1 in certain circumstances, I think they're in the spawn table for some of the junkyards. IMO they're one of the hardest final evolutions even though they're meant to be the most basic one. 130 speed is loving horrible when you combine it with 480 HP and 4d8 damage.

The cult basement seems like it's been in the game for a super long time, but I've never seen it before. All the portal storm stuff is very new though, and amazing.

PS thanks I fixed it!

I'm really struggling to keep up. I think the devs are trying to curb some of the worst cheese strats with the latest rounds of gear nerfs and monster buffs and I appreciate that, but it feels like currently things have swung a little bit too far in the zombies' favor. That's just how open source development goes though, in six months it'll be the other way around.

I usually slow down the monster evolution speed in world gen. IMO it's more fun if things don't really go to poo poo until year 2, but for this LP we're running at vanilla speed.

I feel the development of the enemies has been upped a good deal, but also you have been using a lot of gun which is loud and will pull the hordes towards you

gently caress zombie hulks though, because they can show day 1 and ruin you

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

After I started playing, one of the very few pieces of advice my friend gave me was "if you find a boarded up house, just leave it alone." When pressed she said that she broke into one with a fully kitted out endgame survivor and saw some shadow creatures and just immediately turned tail and left. When I sent her the images from the update, she confirmed that was them.

What, exactly, makes those things so deadly that their mere presence necessitates fire to purge them?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

What, exactly, makes those things so deadly that their mere presence necessitates fire to purge them?

From the description, I'd wager it's because the "main" shadow just keeps making GBS threads out smaller shadows faster than you can kill them without explosives or something else that hits an area at once... and I would also assume that, being non-corporeal, shadows are immune or heavily resistant to a lot of things that aren't fire or bright lights.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

AtomikKrab posted:

I feel the development of the enemies has been upped a good deal, but also you have been using a lot of gun which is loud and will pull the hordes towards you

gently caress zombie hulks though, because they can show day 1 and ruin you

The rate of evolution hasn't changed, but the top tier monsters and their abilities have received many buffs and armor has been greatly debuffed overall.

People tend to overestimate the impact of hordes on the game. They're visible on the map and you can watch them move around, and while some of the icons look scary, they tend to be pretty small in reality, the static spawns are really the bigger problem.

PurpleXVI posted:

From the description, I'd wager it's because the "main" shadow just keeps making GBS threads out smaller shadows faster than you can kill them without explosives or something else that hits an area at once... and I would also assume that, being non-corporeal, shadows are immune or heavily resistant to a lot of things that aren't fire or bright lights.

Yeah, that's right. The big shadow is also pretty resistant to damage and has 800 hit points and shocks you if you melee it.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 8, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Since we have seen them and seen them dealt with one way, another way is to breach open every window and get enough light in, as shown they burn away in light, once you get the main enemy exposed you can kill it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So a shitload of explosives or incendiaries. I can see why it's not worth the effort.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

So a shitload of explosives or incendiaries. I can see why it's not worth the effort.

Absolutely not worth the effort at all

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Are those boarded up houses super dangerous at night or do they just stay inside?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've lost track of how many times I've been minding my own business when a zombie hulk oh yeahs from a nearby building at me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Donkringel posted:

Are those boarded up houses super dangerous at night or do they just stay inside?

They can chase you if you open it up at night

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

The Lone Badger posted:

I read pb&m as "peanut butter and mustard".

I read it as "peanut butter and mayo"; either way, I reserve judgement on them being better than peanut butter and honey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I haven't eaten sandwiches in a very long time because of a food aversion to bread. But I distinctly recall PB&H being really loving delicious. And PB&B was oddly good too. (PB & Banana) But these are also memories from when I was 6, so grain of salt and all that.

AtomikKrab posted:

Absolutely not worth the effort at all

And yeah, this is definitely the takeaway from that Shadow business. :fireman: