Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

Can't believe no one nominated Lou Whitaker or Mark McGwire.

You're free to nominate either one yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JosefStalinator posted:

A Message from Commissioner of Baseball Rob Manfred

I am officially, for one time only, forming the Goon Veterans Committee, to be given the power to determine entrance for a slate of players into the Hall of Fame.

Glad I checked to see we won't be able to do this again.

When it comes to voting, will we have any limits on the number of players we can vote for?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I return from my exile! Sorry for my absence.

Red posted:

Glad I checked to see we won't be able to do this again.

When it comes to voting, will we have any limits on the number of players we can vote for?

You'll have to vote for at least 1, maximum 10. No blank ballots will be allowed.

No one has nominated anyone since the above list - so I'll send out one final call for nominations. Will probably sim a season today, and then start voting soon thereafter.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

JosefStalinator posted:

I return from my exile! Sorry for my absence.

Hooray! Hope it wasn't too soul-crushing!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

Hooray! Hope it wasn't too soul-crushing!

It was an academic interview - hellish and soul crushing in every way possible, selling myself to set up likely disappointment.

2030 MLB Season

2029 was a disaster. Our goons collectively missed years of play time as studs like Reggie Blank were sidelined nearly the entire season, our Tigers goon squad fell short of the playoffs, and we won not a single silver slugger or golden glove. Few goons had truly great years, though there were a few bright spots.

Notably, Bantoni Kemping won rookie of the year, and we did have four All-Stars, including the now surging Prince Vegeta. Snorp Borsgaard also won his first ring with the Rangers, which was a pleasant surprise after 2028's goon shutout by the Orioles.

Will 2030 be the year goons finally get healthy and all hit their primes? Or will the injuries linger, and drag our goon heroes down?

Let's find out!

Just out of curiosity, I haven't visited goon popularity in a while. How popular are our most popular goons?

Looks like Replica, Glass, and Blank compete for the most well known goons. It's always fun to see who are the local fan favorites too - Vegeta for example is known but not huge outside of Chicago, but is immensely popular on the South Side. Kemping, Kalan, and Dugless are similarly huge fan favorites, but less known outside of their home market.

Another offseason behind us, who were the biggest movers?

No one really went huge with offseason acquisitions, but it looks like the Rangers are coming off their World Series win and shedding some excess talent. Hopefully that doesn't bode poorly for Snorp's chances at another ring.

It's Spring Training time! An optimistic view of our goons as always, but who makes the ST roster?

Only 5 goons don't make the MLB roster for Spring - we're getting to the point where goons may start being cut. as teams run out of patience.

The eagle eyed amongst you will also have noticed one disturbing absence:

Billy Dee, who had signed a minor league extension to stay in the Rangers org a little longer, was finally released by the Rangers just before Spring started. He honestly isn't that terrible - his ratings of 25/38 bely a pretty decent set of batting ratings:

I think there's a decent chance he gets another try, but he may be our first goon to retire since Biggus Dickus back in 2027.

You'll also notice that ALL our goons are healthy for once, except for Tukhachevsky, who is still about a month away from recovering from his UCL injury. Let's hope it doesn't continue to dog him.

Another "real person whose name sounds fake" situation.

Replica is our only notable injury through Spring, and shows how deeply insecure she is. A former RoY coming off a fantastic season, she's apparently worried about being replaced in Spring due to a day-to-day injury. Okay :rolleyes:.

Oh wait - on the last day, Rex Sisters manages to injure his normal sized obliques. Apparently his larger arms are putting strain on his core, as he tries to adapt to his new proportions.

Tukhachevsky also begins his rehab, hopefully to return to a full, healthy season. We will see.

Here's how the rosters look come opening day:

I have no idea why OOTP refuses to sort the league levels correctly. But either way, we have MOST of the goons in the majors now - another 7 waiting in AAA for their promotion, and only 7 left below that. Billy Dee still has no home :(.

Prince Vegeta is, once again, the White Sox opening day starter. He has a decent season debut:

Let's hope he can keep it up!

And already, 2030 echoes 2029. Poor Bob Glass, who had a decent 2029, is immediately sidelined by a very nasty fractured ankle injury. The injury will force him out for at least 4 months, with a projected return of August at the earliest. Looks like 2030 will be something of a lost year for Glass - but maybe he can play late season or post-season hero for the contending Mets.

Good news! Billy Dee signs a minor league contract with the Biloxi Shuckers (?), the Brewers AA affiliate. He's back in, baby!

I also notice some of our goons off to a hot start - it's only April, but look who is tired of being outshone by vegeta:

None other than Sir Plusse, who has begun the season in great form. Let's hope April's success translates to May - and beyond.

Also not a great sign that he's been owning over 5 games and has an 0-1 record. What the hell Tigers!?

More good news! Tukachevsky is -

Injured. Again. He recovered from his UCL injury, played 10 games at AA, 4 at AAA, and then sprained his knee. Goddamn it.

At least Megnogard Cooper is trying his best to get out of the minors. Kinda curious how he hasn't yet - his stats and ratings are solid. I suspect a callup is imminent.

Few players, let alone goons, are having better 2030's than Dougless. 2029 was a mediocre year for Doug, having missed time to various small injuries, but he's full time with the Cubs now and is thriving on the batting side of the game, starting off with a blistering 176 OPS+ and 1.020 OPS, along with 13 HR's and a .327 BA through early June.

Also, a check at his stat sheet reveals something I had missed:

In 2028, Dugless led the entirety of MLB in WAR. I knew he did well, but leading the entirety of baseball is quite a feat! And he got third in MVP voting, shaking my goddamn head.

Snorp is back in form, hitting his usual .266 average. He's ranged .263-.272 across the last four seasons. He's no Khris Davis, but close.

Bantoni continues his path towards vengeance for his fallen brother, and has had a wonderful first half. By the beginning of July he's already hit 20 dingers, and he still hasn't realized his full potential, sitting at 90/100 power.

As we near the half, Vegeta continues his trajectory towards improvement since 2028. He puts on a real show fanning 15 batters over 6.2 innings, raising his K/9 to nearly 10 through the halfway point. He still issues way more walks than he should (though none in that game!), but that power and velocity is real, and is making bats miss.

But first, who made the All-Star game this season!?

We have four goon All-Stars yet again! Vegeta makes his third consecutive appearance, with Dugless making his first. Replica returns for her second straight year, while Blank barely makes it in as a non-starter, for his third but not consecutive appearance.

A shame for Bantoni that he isn't a tad more popular, as he barely misses the mark.

The All-Star game turns out to be a close one - and Replica wins the MVP as she ends up the difference. She hit a 2 run homer as the only real notable goon contribution, and wins an award and more pronoun crimes for her work.

For whatever reason, the AL doesn't even bother to use Vegeta despite his election. Why? :iiam:

Let's check in on how our boys and girls have been doing halfway-ish through the season:

2030 All-Star Break Batting Stats

Dugless continues to have a renaissance season, though as you might note, June and July have seen him cool off considerably. The little snowflake shows that Doug is considered to be "in a slump". He's 1 for 28 in July, yikes.

Still, Dugless suffers from a bigger problem - the Cubs STILL keep trying to use him as a starter. The reason this sucks for Dugless is that every time he starts, the Cubs give him a few days off, as if he were a starting pitcher. This limits his play time and his batting opportunities. As we'll see below, it's probably in Dugless' interest that they stop trying to make him a pitcher.

Replica and Bantoni have the next best seasons in 2030 so far, respectively, as the two youngsters are displaying their power and competing for the dinger crown between them. Both are looking at 40+ HR seasons, with Replica threatening a 50 dinger season. The dominant Blue Jays seem to be providing even more RBI opportunities than the goon squad of the Tigers do for Replica.

Doubly so since I notice that Tim McCracken has been sent down to AAA, replaced at 3B by a mediocre alternative. What the hell, Tigers!

At least our boys Blank and Kalan are back, with Kalan continuing to lead the goons in playing time and opportunity. His batting is still somewhat mediocre backed up by an awful defense, but he's out there every single day, which matters. Blank seems to be returning to form and may yet threaten Dugless and the youngins if he can continue to stay healthy.

Actually Goku is 2030's biggest underperformer so far, again barely above the Mendoza line with ample opportunities. I'm sad to see it because it really has put a damper on the Vegeta-Goku rivalry, and his ratings are down to 45/47, suggesting he will likely never reach Vegeta's level. So sad :(. Clips is the only other goon noticeably struggling with 200+ PA's, and even then it's not that bad.

Overall 2030 seems to be a solid year for goon offenses - let's see if Dugless can establish himself as the new dominant batting goon.

2030 All-Star Break Pitching Stats

Because it sure as hell won't be for his pitching. I've beaten the dead horse enough times - he's not going to be a successful starter. Stop.

Prince Vegeta, as expected, has continued his improvements, and settles with a stellar 2.88 ERA at the half. I'd love to see him keep that ERA below 3 all season - his FIP suggests some regression is likely, but I'm loving what I'm seeing.

Sir Plusse is honestly, an even more pleasant surprise. While his absurdly hot start was likely not sustainable, a 3.53 ERA is hardly something to be upset about. and a massive improvement over his previous seasons 5 and 4.5 ERA's. The Tigers overall look like they're in store for another great year - and I'd love to see our goon foursome secure another set of rings for themselves (and Replica's first!).

And look at good old Charlie Brown! I think I can declare that football officially kicked - he has 66 IP's as a reliever, and is pitching quite well overall. Don't let his negative WAR fool you - while there is room for improvement, Charlie has the talent to improve on these numbers if he can continue to get opportunities.

Also:

Rich Mahogany also makes an appearance here, though he appears to be suffering from dreaded forearm inflammation and has had limited opportunities this season. His ratings suggest he will be given another chance once healthy, and initial trials have gone well. Also, he is spending time on the DL working at Tony La Russa's ARF in Walnut Creek:

2030 All-Star Break Standings

Goons look poised to have quite a few opportunities across the board, with the White Sox, Phillies, Giants, Mets, Rangers, and Blue Jays all in great shape to make the playoffs. The Cubs and Tigers are struggling but hardly out of it. I am optimistic about the chances of a new round of goon champions.

Promote Cooper, drat it! He'd end up at 28 games.

Our boy Saito, ever diligent with the typically poo poo Reds, distinguishes himself by going 5-5 against the Nationals. The reds have had losing records pretty much since Saito was called up (except in 2027, their one good year), and 2030 might represent Saito's next best chance to get a ring. I am rooting for him.

Glasscock's potty mouth lands him in some trouble, earning a suspension for screaming profanities at umpires and continuing his tirade after the game. Glasscock is understandably frustrated by what has been a pretty awful season with the ever dreadful Nationals - and was demoted to AAA shortly after this. He's since resorted to calling for robo-umps on twitter.

Our favorite clown Potato Manjack is doing stuff in the minors. Promote him drat you!

As is McDichel, who we haven't heard much from yet. He also ended up with an impressive hitting streak of 22 games.

Kalan can't let Saito have all the fun.

Krillin creeping back up and trying to earn himself a promotion.

McCracken and Glasscock both earn 4 game suspensions - Glasscock's second on the season. This is especially stupid of these players as they're both sitting at AAA on teams that desperately need talented, disciplined players - the Nationals so they stop losing 2/3 of their games, and Detroit for their impending pennant chase and playoff run. Not great guys! Ruckuses will not be tolerated!

:negative: Noooooo! Dugless goes down in late August, straining his washboard abs and missing 6 weeks worth of play. I think he might be good by the playoffs - but the Cubs are currently 8 games out of the WC with a month left to play, they really needed their best player :(.

Bob Glass finishes his rehab and makes it back to the majors in August, on schedule, which is fantastic. Even better - he has kicked rear end since getting healthy, joining the Mets as they compete for a Wildcard spot. That shot in the arm may be just what the Mets need.

The regular season ends! How did our teams do?

2030 Regular Season Standings

Oh. Oh my.

I can't believe it. For the second year in a row, the Tigers miss the playoffs by exactly one game. Now, I don't know if they would have won the tie-breaker, but after last year's failure, this is truly humiliating - and it was to the Mariners AGAIN. Do note they lost the last game of the season (and Seattle won theirs) so this truly was their own doing. Can't blame Plusse either - he pitched well against the A's in the 4th to last game of the season, winning that one.

Such a disappointment. Still, there are some potential goon rings, with quite a few goons making the playoffs:

2030 Playoff Tree

CHW - Vegeta
NYM - Glass
PHI - Kalan
SFG - Tubbs, Stalin (currently in AAA)
TEX - Borsgaard, Dincht
TOR - Kemping

Note: While Splodey is in the Phillies org, he did NOT make an MLB appearance this season, so no ring :(. Same with Mr. Panda and CHW.

No Cubs, Washington, or Detroit really ruins the chances for a lot of our goons. Still, 6/12 ain't bad! Let's see if we get any postseason heroes!

Well, poo poo. Immediately two goon teams are eliminated - Kemping's first taste of the postseason ends in defeat, and Snorp's chance to repeat last year's success goes down in flames.

Can't blame Kemping that much though - he did what he could in what little time he had.

Snorp did hit a dinger but that was all he managed - and quite frankly, wasn't enough. So sad. Dincht did not make an appearance.

Bob Glass completely outclassed Kalan and his Phillies 2 - 0, with the players' respective performances echoing their teams. Bob even gets player of the game for game two - with a 3 run homer and another RBI to boot.

Thus 3 goon teams already go down in the first round. Our hopes lie in the Giants, Mets, and White Sox.

Welp.

All three goon teams go down in the division series. Bloody hell. Let's see if its the fault of the goons:

Oof. Not the worst start ever but hardly inspiring - Prince Vegeta does not live up to his regular season reputation and gets kicked around by the Red Sox in game one, ultimately losing 4-2.

Glass does alright against the Braves but no one else on his team does ANYTHING. The Mets lose 10-5, 6-1, and 3-0. Absolutely embarrassing.

Tubbs does the best of the bunch, and does get help from an Alfredo Mercado, but the two together cannot carry the giants over the Cards. Their series is at least competitive - the Giants only lose in game 5, crushing the Cards in their two wins 5-0 and 4-1.

But with the loss of the Giants, our last goons lose out in 2030. There will be no goon rings this year :(. And the ALCS is Boston vs. New York. Yuck.

TWENTY EIGHT RINGS BAYBEE, BEST CITY IN DA WORLD.

The Yankees win, no goons are on the Yankees so I don't really care. Let's get to the offseason and see our goons get PAID.

Also, Mike Trout is cursed to play yet more of his career on the Angels. He's now 39 but still lead MLB in walks, OBP, and OPS.

Not enough room for his hardware.

Here's the financial info for the goons before any postseason deals are struck. It's getting hard for me to keep track of these - the game only notifies me of big deals, not small ones or automatic extensions, so feel free to ask or point out anything I miss.

But before we get into the finances, awards!

Reggie Blank is back! And he wins a Golden Glove for his excellent play at Left Field - congrats Reggie! Bout time we got one.

Douglas Dugless also gets some new shiny gear in the form of a "Platium Stick" award for his offense as a Center Fielder. While sparse, at least our goons won SOMETHING this year.

I don't think any of our goons have had great rookie years - nor is it likely with the current crop, so I don't think we'll see any Rookie of the Year awards any time soon. Let's hope for some MVP or a Cy Young for Mr. Vegeta.

Actual Person Reese Lumpkin steals it from Vegeta, who gets 4th place in the voting. drat.

MVP voting is even worse, with Dugless at least showing up in 12th place in the NL. Vegeta also makes an appearance in 16th place in the AL. That's all the goons manage in that category.

A disappointing awards season, though not without its merits. Let's get goons paid and see how they did this year, after checking the Hall of Fame vote:

As expected, Carlos Beltran makes it into the HoF in his 9th year. Joining the ballot for the first time are two important notables - Clayton Kershaw and Max Scherzer, two pitching aces in their respective primes. Kershaw looks to be a shoo-in with the voters in this world, with Scherzer not far behind and plenty of time to catch up.

Here's the financials as 2030 becomes 2031. Eagle-eyed goons will notice one really big surprise here:

First some small things - Vegeta becomes the highest paid goon in 2031 as his contract ramps up, and I doubt the White Sox are regretting any bit of it given his play. Close behind him are the consistent studs of Blank, Kalan, and Borsgaard, the latter of which is the highest paid goon in arbitration.

In fact, this looks to have been a very boring year financially. No goons signed any big contracts - or any at all really, with nearly everyone signing 1 year arbitration contracts and not changing teams in trades or anything. Billy Dee notable gets an extension, and stays alive in the Milwaukee farm system for another year.

But... what is this?

What the gently caress are the Cubs doing? 2030 All-Star and all around stud Douglas Dugless is not even offered an arbitration amount - releasing him as a free agent. I don't know if the Cubs are just being cheapskates or what, but whatever the reason, Dougless is now a free agent - and give that he's an 80/80 rated player, I have a hard time believing he will do anything but fetch a hefty sum.

Or... not? Dude's only demanding 6 million, after having been making 10+ million and had another great season. Whoever nabs him is getting a steal - I hope the other teams end up in a bidding war and drive up that demand because 1 year, 6 million is not ambitious enough.

Carl Tubbs follows a similar trajectory, though with far less talent behind him. A shame as he had a great 2028 but he's gotten a bit worse each year. Dude's only demanding 3.2 million and I bet he ends up somewhere.

Some drama at the end of the year - I was tempted to sim more just to see where Douglas Dugless ended up. I'm hoping he ends up with another goon on a team sorely needing a good player - the Tigers, maybe?

Let's see 2030's stats:

2030 Batting Stats

A MUCH better year overall for the goons health-wise, though some of our top guys really fell off in the second half of the season. Just glancing over those OPS+ sees a lot of goons performing under the average - and a lot of that first half promise of power completely failed to materialize.

Among the best performances was Bantoni Kemping, who led the goons with 35 home runs and 109 RBI. That 2.5 WAR speaks to an extremely awful defense that dragged down his overall value, but his skill as a batter cannot be doubted after his second full MLB season. And he's still only 73/93 rated for contact... so he can get even better :eyepop:

His perennial rival Replica trailed just behind with 31 dingers but much worse contact numbers - and a far better WAR of 4.2 because she wasn't a massive liability in center. As a player overall she seems to be superior, but Kemping is nasty with his bat.

Dugless though is clearly having a career year, making it all the stranger that the Cubs would release him and he would demand only 6 million. The dude had a .913 OPS and hit for both power (26 dingers) AND contact (.283 avg), with a .354 batting average. If a team seriously scoops him up for just 6 million, he should fire his agent.

Jessie Crime shows up on our radar for the first time with an impressive, albeit slightly limited, appearance in 2030. A .324 average over 85 games and 300 PA's has my attention - she may end up our best pure contact hitter if this keeps up.

Dincht and Glass deserve some positive attention for their excellent but extremely small sample in 2030 - guys to watch in 2031 to see if this carries over. In Glass' case I would bet it does - it was injuries that limited this season. If Dincht even stays near this level of talent, Snorp may have some help in getting himself a second championship trophy. Also note that Glass managed to accrue 2.8 WAR over only 38 games, which is really, really impressive.

Shoutouts to Kalan for continuing to be a base stealing maniac with 43 SB's to 4 CS and an insane 113 runs, Tubbs for taking advantage of Triples Alley (tm) to lead the goons with 40 triples, and Goku for jumping in front of the ball 13 times to take one for the team.

On the negative side of things, Kalan, Blank, and Tubbs all struggled a bit overall, joined by Malysz and Goku as regulars who had down 2030's. Is it a blip or a trend? We'll find out in 2031. Most of their BABIP (batting average on balls in play) suggest that they may have gotten a tad unlucky (not unlike FIP as a reference, though a tiny bit more complicated). Let's hope so, I don't want to see our goons decline just yet.

Special shoutout to Saito for almost striking out 200 times, but still hitting above average overall. We love to see it.

This year is tough - Bantoni is great as a pure hitter, and Replica is better overall when accounting for defense. But one player smokes both of them with better WAR and a balance of contact hitting and power, so I'm going to award my special Goon Batting Award for 2030 to Dugless.

2030 Pitching Stats

A lot of good news and progress in the world of goon pitching!

Prince Vegeta stayed hot all season, finishing just under 3.00 for the first time. 225 K's for a 9.5 K/9 as a starter is wonderful, and that .267 opposing BABIP and .212 average would make any manager drool. He actually got his walks under control this time too - walking only 66 across the whole season, for a better ratio than all other pitching goons. His FIP suggests that this was a teensy bit lucky, but he isn't complaining. An absolute stud, Vegeta has a great career ahead of him.

But let's not forget Sir Plusse, who honestly, wasn't THAT far behind Vegeta this year! All his stats were similar to Vegeta's but a tiny bit worse, and it looks like Plusse didn't go as deep in games either, with some 50 fewer IP over the season despite only 2 fewer starts. His peripherals suggest an even luckier season than Vegeta's and likely a big regression next year, but I hope that's bullshit and he gives Vegeta a run for his money - and gets that one extra win the Tigers need to make it into the playoffs.

Charlie Brown continued his development with a mediocre season as a reliever. Interestingly, he did get a start this season, and a brief scan of his appearances show that the Dodgers have been using him as a long reliever. Continued good work may even see Charlie become a starter in the future, as he has the stamina, but does he have the skill?

Dugless shouldn't be pitching. Maybe now that he's a free agent, his new team will stop with this terrible experiment that is wasting his talents.

Rich Mahogany had limited use this season but did alright during those appearances - he's actually the dedicated closer on the A's now. The A's are an absolutely dumpster fire team, winning only 51 games this season, so maybe it was an easy job to get, but we might see Rich make a case for a trade in the future if he can earn some saves. He notably didn't give up any homers through all 17 innings pitched, which is good for a closer! And he works with ARF, so :3.

Plusse made it interesting, but Vegeta wins my 2030 Goon Pitching Award with another stellar season.

2030 Fielding Stats

Pretty much the same old story here - but no Tim McCracken to wrack up the errors. Instead if was Kazuki Saito who was our error prone friend this year, to go alongside some otherwise dreadful fielding in basically all areas.

Replica is the biggest standout in fielding stats, recording only 1 error across 431 total chances, and excellent defensive efficiency, zone rating, and range. Snorp also played admirably at 1B for once, with Blank and Malysz showing considerably skill at CF.

Shoutout to Actually Goku who recorded exactly zero errors across 150 games and 507 total chances, which is pretty drat impressive. His range and zone may not be as big as the above 3 CF's, but he is reliable if nothing else.

We also have some catchers now, who have their own special stats that I don't fully understand. But Alface smoked Stalin in catcher skill, so be proud my dude.

Until someone effortposts and demonstrates to me how I'm wrong and another player is actually very good at fielding, SNK Replica wins the 2030 Goon Fielding Award. Hopefully that takes the sting off of losing the batting award to Dugless.

2030 is in the books. The big questions for 2031 start first with the shocking free agency of Douglas Dugless, and hopes for an end to the one-year drought of goon rings. Will our marginal players like Billy Dee continue to hang on? Will we see our first goon retirement in 4 years, or continue the streak of goon mediocrity? Will our former studs like Blank return to form? We will find out!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 17, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh man, Douglass. You're a weird one, bud.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My man McDichael gets noticed, so I'm happy about that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anto... ahem err I mean Bantoni is really turning into a star player. The league wanted dingers and he obliged, for the city of Krakow and the people of Poland he will succeed where his "brother" failed.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
I think my guy is likely smoked, which is alright, as his destiny I feel was always to “teach”. 12 mindfulness methods to hit dingers (contact not guaranteed). The world wasn’t ready for his vision!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, my little dude José Alface is getting regular game time, has a respectable WAR, and is getting 7M in arbitration?? I'm very proud of him, never gave up with his awful stats and is making a good living for himself.

Edit - nvm, I saw that on the phone, he actually just getting 700k. Still, way more than I will ever make in a year.

Average Lettuce fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 17, 2023

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Can't field, hits above average but still swings out, a lot of power despite himself?

Did Saito turn into a TTO player when I wasn't looking? drat.

Also, for real, what the gently caress is with his fielding?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Plusse did good work this year too; too bad it looks like the Tigers aren't keeping up. He may not have the best pitching stats, but the combination of "five pitches he can throw competently" and "left-handed pitcher" seems to be throwing the batters off their game pretty consistently.

How're the Tigers' ratings looking? Anyone look to need replacement? (note: not just goons, I'm wondering if there're some subpar non-goons dragging them down too)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Douglas is just a humble man who wants to play baseball and is willing to keep his contract low to make room for newer players to earn their keep.

He's only been pitching so much because the Cubs are run like dogshit and he's happy to keep them happy.

Please God put him on the Padres.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I am so displeased with the Mets in this universe. You got Rooster, one of the best players in baseball at the moment right now, and you’re leaving him out in the wind during the postseason like that?! Are we SURE OOTP isn’t able to perfectly simulate the sheer amount of LOLMETS that would take?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

White Sox handing guaranteed millions in an MLB contract to a crappy guy they immediately stash in A+ is both horribly irresponsible and refreshingly sensible for them at the same time.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Something like the past 3 seasons, McGee has been promoted to the majors, and after spring training, has been traded to another team and busted back down to the minors. Poor skeleton just can't catch a break.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dang, Replica had a dogshit second half, and looks like she played in fewer than 50 games so I assume there was some injury bad luck there.

Also did she sign an extension? If I'm remembering how to read the salary thing right, the (auto) next to her salary should mean that she's still on the rookie deals but her salary is uh, nine times higher than everyone else on one, except Mr Panda but he signed with someone as a free agent so his salary being higher makes sense.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
You keep grinding, Cooper. You'll make it next year :unsmith:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

JosefStalinator posted:

Note: While Splodey is in the Phillies org, he did NOT make an MLB appearance this season, so no ring :(. Same with Mr. Panda and CHW.

That's a full season and a half of no MLB time for him (if you look, his PA at the all-star break and at the end of the season match; I think his fielding was identical as well). I think his MLB career is close to ending, especially with his dissatisfaction with everything.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Dang, Replica had a dogshit second half, and looks like she played in fewer than 50 games so I assume there was some injury bad luck there.

Also did she sign an extension? If I'm remembering how to read the salary thing right, the (auto) next to her salary should mean that she's still on the rookie deals but her salary is uh, nine times higher than everyone else on one, except Mr Panda but he signed with someone as a free agent so his salary being higher makes sense.

It looks like Reggie Blank similarly had a downhill slide in the second half.

I just wish he walked more to help carry the load. Is it possible to see the Tigers' lineup? I'm curious where McCracken/SNK/Blank plug in.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

JosefStalinator posted:

But with the loss of the Giants, our last goons lose out in 2030. There will be no goon rings this year :(. And the ALCS is Boston vs. New York. Yuck.

TWENTY EIGHT RINGS BAYBEE, BEST CITY IN DA WORLD.

This is what hell looks like.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This is what hell looks like.

Now you know what it was like being a baseball fan from '96 to '02 or so

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm terribly excited to see what blackhole of baseball Douglas gets himself attached to.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

Oh man, Douglass. You're a weird one, bud.

To be fair - he wasn't offered arbitration, meaning it was the Cubs who initiated it. They're also the ones asking him to pitch. He's at the mercy of their terrible org.

Quackles posted:

My man McDichael gets noticed, so I'm happy about that.

It makes me sad when players struggle or are so mediocre they don't get attention. Right now Jeffthew is listed as a backup infielder/3B on Colorado, so there's hope!

Popete posted:

Anto... ahem err I mean Bantoni is really turning into a star player. The league wanted dingers and he obliged, for the city of Krakow and the people of Poland he will succeed where his "brother" failed.

I forgot to check up on "Antoni," apparently his "hands off approach" earned him some fans, and he's currently managing the A+ Braves affiliate.

NiftyBottle posted:

I think my guy is likely smoked, which is alright, as his destiny I feel was always to “teach”. 12 mindfulness methods to hit dingers (contact not guaranteed). The world wasn’t ready for his vision!

(I do think he's dead, but he's holding on somehow).

Average Lettuce posted:

Hey, my little dude José Alface is getting regular game time, has a respectable WAR, and is getting 7M in arbitration?? I'm very proud of him, never gave up with his awful stats and is making a good living for himself.

Edit - nvm, I saw that on the phone, he actually just getting 700k. Still, way more than I will ever make in a year.

Dude's made 4.2 million already, so he can't complain.

I missed that he became a free agent, joined the Angels, then after briefly being called up, was put on waiver and claimed by Tampa Bay. We'll definitely have to watch his weird and unorthodox path to the majors more closely from here on. There's a dearth of talent at Catcher in the league right now, which might explain why our exceedingly mediocre catcher boys are overperforming.

Also, be aware that Tampa currently has Alface starting at C, so he's likely good to go for at least a little while.

Monathin posted:

Can't field, hits above average but still swings out, a lot of power despite himself?

Did Saito turn into a TTO player when I wasn't looking? drat.

Also, for real, what the gently caress is with his fielding?

Upped those BB and SO numbers each season, more or less, so... yup! He's a TTO guy now I guess!

His ratings aren't that bad but I think he shouldn't be at third any more. I suspect he'll be a 1B/DH before long. As of right now, it's not like there's much competing talent in Cincinatti.

CptWedgie posted:

Plusse did good work this year too; too bad it looks like the Tigers aren't keeping up. He may not have the best pitching stats, but the combination of "five pitches he can throw competently" and "left-handed pitcher" seems to be throwing the batters off their game pretty consistently.

How're the Tigers' ratings looking? Anyone look to need replacement? (note: not just goons, I'm wondering if there're some subpar non-goons dragging them down too)

Here are the Tigers numbers from 2030:

They're just... exceedingly mediocre. They have a few star players like SNK Replica and Gabriel Moreno, but they're just average across the board offensively.

Apparently they led the AL in ERA and were dominant in pitching stats, so it was the sputtering offense that hurt them. Looking at you, Blank and McCracken.

HereticMIND posted:

I am so displeased with the Mets in this universe. You got Rooster, one of the best players in baseball at the moment right now, and you’re leaving him out in the wind during the postseason like that?! Are we SURE OOTP isn’t able to perfectly simulate the sheer amount of LOLMETS that would take?

Don't forget that the Mets won the 2022 AND 2026 WS in this universe. They've been quite powerful, but started LOLMETSing once goons got involved.

Pander posted:

White Sox handing guaranteed millions in an MLB contract to a crappy guy they immediately stash in A+ is both horribly irresponsible and refreshingly sensible for them at the same time.

Mr. Panda will ride again someday... I have faith.

Explosionface posted:

That's a full season and a half of no MLB time for him (if you look, his PA at the all-star break and at the end of the season match; I think his fielding was identical as well). I think his MLB career is close to ending, especially with his dissatisfaction with everything.

DoubleNegative posted:

Something like the past 3 seasons, McGee has been promoted to the majors, and after spring training, has been traded to another team and busted back down to the minors. Poor skeleton just can't catch a break.

Steve dodged a bullet almost being drafted by the Nationals, but he's been trapped in minors hell for some time with the equally terrible Reds. He's actually still got decent batting ratings, and the Reds are god awful, so I think he has hope!

IcePhoenix posted:

SNK's OPS+ by month:

April: 148
May: 145
June: 126
July: 80
August: -9 (was injured about half of it)
September: 132

Yikes.

Looks like she did sign an extension, likely to avoid arbitration. That's a nice raise, going from making 700k in a year to 6.3 million.

Dragongem posted:

You keep grinding, Cooper. You'll make it next year :unsmith:

He's also in backup hell in Colorado, so here's hoping!

Splodey got screwed by the Phillies going into WIN NOW mode and winning 100 games, so they just haven't had room for him yet. He also faceplanted a bit in 2029 in his very brief appearance, so he may be gassed, or he may be destined for a more mediocre team.

Red posted:

It looks like Reggie Blank similarly had a downhill slide in the second half.

I just wish he walked more to help carry the load. Is it possible to see the Tigers' lineup? I'm curious where McCracken/SNK/Blank plug in.

Let's see Reggie's monthly breakdown. OPS+:

April: 107
May: 93
June: 120
July: 89
August: 45
September: 68

Honestly mirrors Replica's a bit, with the dreadful August, but is a bit less linear. Either way, Detroit really, really collapsed in the second half collectively. Truly disappointing. Maybe with McCracken back, they can recreate that magic.

I posted the lineups above, but it looks like McCracken is back in at third. The lineups are:

I like that against lefties, it goes McCracken-Blank-Replica :3:.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm terribly excited to see what blackhole of baseball Douglas gets himself attached to.

If it's the nationals I will die. There's currently 3 goons trapped in Washington, and they're by far the worst franchise in goonworld aside from the expansion teams (and are one of the few clubs to finish behind the expansions, if not the only one):

I've been disappointed that both the expansion teams have struggled to win 60 games any of their seasons so far, but maybe they just need time.

For reference, the expansion teams:

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 17, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
How many dingers does Storg have in his minor league career at this point? It looks like he'll never see the Show, maybe he should go to Korea or Japan.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for taking the time to look all this stuff up, I know it's a lot of work :)

It just dawned on me that Replica is basically Byron Buxton but left handed and white....and female

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Good Ol' Charlie Brown finally gets extended play time, and he's solid enough to stick around. Good job, blockhead! You did it! Joe Shlabotnik would be proud.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

Dude's made 4.2 million already, so he can't complain.

I missed that he became a free agent, joined the Angels, then after briefly being called up, was put on waiver and claimed by Tampa Bay. We'll definitely have to watch his weird and unorthodox path to the majors more closely from here on. There's a dearth of talent at Catcher in the league right now, which might explain why our exceedingly mediocre catcher boys are overperforming.

Also, be aware that Tampa currently has Alface starting at C, so he's likely good to go for at least a little while.

Nice! Disappointed that he was waived (the stats in the Angels didn't seem bad), but Tampa Bay ended with a better record and he's starting, so it might be for the better.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

JosefStalinator posted:

His ratings aren't that bad but I think he shouldn't be at third any more. I suspect he'll be a 1B/DH before long. As of right now, it's not like there's much competing talent in Cincinatti.

A TTO 1B/DH guy is honestly kind of great to have. You always need one of those.

I'm laughing extremely hard at "Doesn't demand a lot of attention and often goes unnoticed." Sometimes, the story writes itself. :allears:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Ahh Tungsten Arm, not good enough to leave A, apparently not quite bad enough to get let go. :smith:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I'm continually amazed, that Potato Manjack manages to actually do stuff decently, and despite that, is still firmly out of the MLB.

It's like, I know he's terrible, and so does everyone in the game, however, he keeps actually not being terrible.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

Here are the Tigers numbers from 2030:

They're just... exceedingly mediocre. They have a few star players like SNK Replica and Gabriel Moreno, but they're just average across the board offensively.
Exceedingly mediocre indeed. I mean, Plusse may be overperforming (as always), but him being their star pitcher probably says more about their other pitchers than anything else. At least they're getting their money's worth out of him, though, right?

And yes, those batting stats (what little I can parse- which is, essentially, only WAR) are atrocious. Only 3 with a WAR over 1, and a third of them have negative WAR. Hope their minor affiliates have some decent talent to promote, because the local goons could use some backup that's worth a drat.

...At least all the goons are pulling their weight?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Bitchface is so aggressively mediocre it's actually impressive.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PotatoManJack posted:

I'm continually amazed, that Potato Manjack manages to actually do stuff decently, and despite that, is still firmly out of the MLB.

It's like, I know he's terrible, and so does everyone in the game, however, he keeps actually not being terrible.

If Manjack never makes it back up to MLB, at least he can retire with a perfect 0.00 ERA and 1-0 W-L record!

I'm not quite sure why the Angels demoted him all the way back down to A+ after a pretty decent debut, then slowly raised him back to AAA. I suspect he gets at least one more shot in the bigs - this is, of course, the Angels we are dealing with here, so if the game simulates things accurately they'll find a way to gently caress it up.

Lumpy posted:

Ahh Tungsten Arm, not good enough to leave A, apparently not quite bad enough to get let go. :smith:

Was looking up Tungsten - does giving a player a nickname add it to the list of nicknames in this universe? Both the other Tungstens are newbs generated since we started...

Regardless:

It really does look like Patrick O'Doyle is totally gassed - his ratings are down to 20/20 as well. Yet, the Yankees keep him around - torture, mayhaps?

habeasdorkus posted:

How many dingers does Storg have in his minor league career at this point? It looks like he'll never see the Show, maybe he should go to Korea or Japan.

STORG STRONG. STORG HIT ALMOST 150 DINGERS. SO CLOSE TO MLB.

Unfortunately for Storg, the Mariners have two first basemen (one DHing) so it's a bit crowded above him. Neither are that great, but neither is Storg.

IcePhoenix posted:

Thanks for taking the time to look all this stuff up, I know it's a lot of work :)

It just dawned on me that Replica is basically Byron Buxton but left handed and white....and female

It's really not that hard to look up player stats. The hardest part is not missing things with the absolute flurry of information the game throws at you. This is compounded by the fact that we are playing an unusual style of following a watchlist rather than a team - so I can always get big player-related stories, but smaller stuff may not be noticed until later. What the game considers newsworthy is pretty arbitrary - and the fame/value of a player directly contributes to this, so mediocre/weaker players will get ignored even when they do cool poo poo.

It would be fun to figure out how to build similarity scores of our players to real life MLB guys - there must be a way, since baseball reference has theirs here: https://www.baseball-reference.com/about/similarity.shtml

Maybe towards the end we can do something like that collectively - but it makes more sense to have full careers first.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is it possible to manually edit who's on what team? Final season should be an all goon squad.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is it possible to manually edit who's on what team? Final season should be an all goon squad.

I've been trying to think of gimmicks for future goon generations, and certainly one idea would be that we collectively manage a goon team and populate it with goons. It's a different style of LP which can be fun, but any really competitive team needs to occasionally shed players or make trades to stay strong. One gimmick might be a goon team in which I am forbidden to trade (since that's usually exploitative of the AI) and instead am forced to work with whatever players I can raise from the farm system, as a challenge, and rename them after goons. Something I will think about and could start an LP doing in the future.

I'm open to any gimmick ideas about restrictions, themes, or bonuses/maluses to players in future generations, especially but not exclusively those that reward those who got suck with busts this time around. Feel free to suggest them.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Voting Time :siren:

Goons - choose anywhere between 1 and 10 of the following players as part of your Hall of Fame Goon Veterans Committee Ballot. Everyone gets one ballot, and blank ballots will not be accepted. You can vote even if you never made or do not currently have an active player.

Whichever of the below players appears on 75% of the goon ballots will be manually added to the Hall of Fame in our OOTP world.

Below is the big compilation nominee post I made before. Each quoted post is a link to the nomination post, and the player's baseball reference page, to help you make your decisions.

Please submit your ballot by posting in the thread, listing all the players you choose to vote for. Remember that the max is 10, but you can choose fewer if you so desire. Make it clear that it is your Goon Veterans Committee HoF Ballot.

Goon Veterans Committee List:

Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Dave Stieb
Bobby Abreu
Barry Bonds
Andy Pettitte
Ichiro Suzuki
Carlos Delgado
Johan Santana
Mark Buerhle
Roger Clemens
Andruw Jones

Nomination Posts:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mauerjo01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/poseybu01.shtml

Tevery Best posted:

Dave Stieb.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/stiebda01.shtml

Red posted:

Bobby Abreu

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/abreubo01.shtml

https://i.imgur.com/M9u2F95.mp4

Nea posted:

Barry Bonds

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml

Lumpy posted:

Andy Pettitte

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pettian01.shtml

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-23-2014/Z1XaQs.mp4

Explosionface posted:

Ichiro Suzuki

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/suzukic01.shtml

https://i.imgur.com/1kfCdyf.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZpfuV51kOE

Gerblederp posted:

Carlos Delgado

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/delgaca01.shtml

rickiep00h posted:

Johan Santana

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/santajo02.shtml

https://i.imgur.com/PveyQhO.mp4

Pander posted:

Mark Buerhle

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/buehrma01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/clemero02.shtml

biosterous posted:

andruw jones

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesan01.shtml

https://i.imgur.com/4Egyoq8.mp4

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 18, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

:siren: Voting Time :siren:

Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Dave Stieb
Bobby Abreu
Barry Bonds
Andy Pettitte
Ichiro Suzuki
Carlos Delgado
Johan Santana
Mark Buerhle
Roger Clemens
Andruw Jones

Buster Posey
Barry Bonds
Ichiro Suzuki
Roger Clemens

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

JosefStalinator posted:

Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Dave Stieb
Bobby Abreu
Barry Bonds
Andy Pettitte
Ichiro Suzuki
Carlos Delgado
Johan Santana
Mark Buerhle
Roger Clemens
Andruw Jones
Mauer
Abreu
Bonds
Suzuki
Buerhle
Clemens
Jones
Santana
Posey
Stieb

2/18 edit: added Santana/posey/stieb. I've always been a big hall guy, dunno why I left them off.

Pander fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

BALLOT FOR GOON HOF VETERAN’S COMMITTEE:

Dave Stieb
Buster Posey
Ichiro Suzuki