Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

This video apparently failed in validation, according to Youtube.

Edit: New update at the bottom of the last page, it's a goodun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil
So from how you describe Savage Enemies, they sound like smaller, commonly recurring versions of the Reaper from Persona 3/4. Which also seems excessively lovely to have appear in the very first proper dungeon.

It's an Atlas game, all right.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

SweaterGear posted:

This video apparently failed in validation, according to Youtube.

Edit: New update at the bottom of the last page, it's a goodun!

Fixed it, thanks.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Martian Buddy posted:

So from how you describe Savage Enemies, they sound like smaller, commonly recurring versions of the Reaper from Persona 3/4. Which also seems excessively lovely to have appear in the very first proper dungeon.

It's an Atlas game, all right.

They're more like FOEs from Etrian Odyssey really. So yeah, sure is an Atlus game.

Also I found that estoma is kinda handy if you specifically want to spawn Savage Enemies in the lategame for whatever reason.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SC Bracer posted:

They're more like FOEs from Etrian Odyssey really. So yeah, sure is an Atlus game.

Also I found that estoma is kinda handy if you specifically want to spawn Savage Enemies in the lategame for whatever reason.

Estoma is also nice when you have to go back to earlier dungeons for requests and such to avoid having to fight enemies twenty levels beneath you every ten steps. I'm also pretty sure I've never used anything besides Tsubasa's Traport to get out of dungeons, because why bother burning an item to save EP if I'm immediately going to slam a Hi-Fiber Vortex from the office vending machine for a full recovery?

Savage Enemies are dicks but sometimes you can dodge out of the way at the last second and they'll keep charging past you instead of coming around. Plus it's satisfying to come back and wreck them when you're overlevelled for the dungeon.

Also it's Unity Note, not Tiki, who sends you updates about available unities. You're just ignoring poor l'il Tiki!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've used Estoma both to avoid trash mobs when backtracking and to farm Rare and Savage Encounters. It's a pretty useful skill, and I'm all for anything that helps me control encounter rates. Regular encounters aren't difficult to avoid in this game, but not having to deal with them is still pretty handy.

I always, always, always have Smoke Machines on hand in case I get hit by a Savage Encounter I'm not super prepared for. That 100% escape chance is handy against them. Then again, Hee-Ho Mart might not sell them yet, which means you might only have one or two from drops or chests, if any, at this point. You have to treat Savage Encounters like bosses (or at least mini-bosses), because they will kick your poo poo in otherwise. That means going in with buffs and debuffs, because those things hit like trains with electrified cow-catchers bolted on front.

RandallODim posted:

Also it's Unity Note, not Tiki, who sends you updates about available unities. You're just ignoring poor l'il Tiki!
Tiki will also tell you about new Carnages and skills. Her Topic messages on them are less specific than Unity Note's though. IIRC, she just says "It looks like you can make a new Carnage/skill, so come back to the Bloom Palace when you get the chance!" or something like that.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Commander Keene posted:

I always, always, always have Smoke Machines on hand in case I get hit by a Savage Encounter I'm not super prepared for. That 100% escape chance is handy against them. Then again, Hee-Ho Mart might not sell them yet, which means you might only have one or two from drops or chests, if any, at this point. You have to treat Savage Encounters like bosses (or at least mini-bosses), because they will kick your poo poo in otherwise. That means going in with buffs and debuffs, because those things hit like trains with electrified cow-catchers bolted on front.

Tiki will also tell you about new Carnages and skills. Her Topic messages on them are less specific than Unity Note's though. IIRC, she just says "It looks like you can make a new Carnage/skill, so come back to the Bloom Palace when you get the chance!" or something like that.

I'd forgotten Tiki's messages, you're right. Still, though! Poor Tiki, stuck in the Palace, just trying to be helpful.

And yeah, Smoke Machines are probably my second most used item after Fresh Spicy Curries, specifically for Savage Enemy escapes, but the Hee-Ho doesn't expand stock until after, I think, so the 106 is a bit of a pain there.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

SC Bracer posted:

Even in TMS, F.O.E!

...but actually Persona always had those couple of strong enemies who hit hard, weren't particularly weak to anything and had lots of HP. They were a pain. And the red shadows.

But yes, Atlus game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate having your Lord chain sessions into other dudes. I don't think it's necessarily broken to get it this early, I just think the combat system will... kind of be expecting it, maybe?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

I appreciate having your Lord chain sessions into other dudes. I don't think it's necessarily broken to get it this early, I just think the combat system will... kind of be expecting it, maybe?

It also won't work against bosses, right? You can't overkill stuff (because the boss is alone) so no cancellation of the boss's immunities... or something like that?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Blademaster_Aio posted:

It also won't work against bosses, right? You can't overkill stuff (because the boss is alone) so no cancellation of the boss's immunities... or something like that?

The tutorial boss summoned adds, so that's probably not the case.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Depends on the boss, some of them have trash mob backup, which you can do exactly that with. Even then, though, you'd usually be better off coming straight for the boss with their own weakness, since you're only going to be hitting with the tail end of sessions using the mobs as boosts, which won't be much damage even with Overkill boosts. And basically every boss ends the fight when they die, regardless of other enemies on the field, so expending resources on something besides them isn't ~optimal~.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
And pretty much every boss with minions, is also capable of summoning reinforcements if those minions die. So taking the time to kill them not only wastes time and resources, but gives very little benefit.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Aren't bosses capable of sessions?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Everyone is capable of sessions, as long as they hit a weakness, IIRC. Bosses, minibosses, the player, random encounters, etc. Savage Encounters are especially vicious when they get first turn and proceed to smash the life out of a party member with a Session. That's an Atlus game for you; you need to remember that all of the overpowered cool options you have access to can also be used against you.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Woo, finally caught up. I love this game to death, but never finished it because in later chapters, I ran into a bug where trying to read a character's bio on their status screen after it updated would make the game lock up. It kinda killed my enthusiasm to keep playing, because I started to worry that it might happen at any time, not just when checking the bios.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Am I the only one who sees Traport as Caeda flying the party out of the dungeon? Or Estoma as Touma throttling the Cavalier motorcycle and saying something like "Out of the way, small fry! Hero, coming through!"?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I can only hope so.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ometeotl posted:

I can only hope so.

What's wrong with seeing those skills like that?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Last time we left off back in the Bloom Garden, so we have a little backtracking to do. Fortunately we weren't particularly far in, so it's a pretty short trip.

Really, the only notable thing that happened on the way was Tsubasa picking up her Rank 2 skill. This gives her Gentle Embrace, which increases the amount of HP she heals. She also picks up Zan, so she can start pulling her weight on offense.

You can also find a Speed Incense on 3F if you play around with the blue doll's state a little bit. We're going to hold on to this for now, but it'll probably get dumped on either Itsuki or Tsubasa before the end of the dungeon.

Back where we found Mr. Hatanaka, we have the controls for the red dress. The left option lets you grab a treasure or two down on 1F, but we need to head upstairs, so right it is.

:siren: Memories :siren:

Ah, there she is. This rescue mission stuff isn't so hard.

...Aaaaaaand then she walks off. Good effort, team. Really went hard on the pursuit.

Aya!

Wait! Tsubasa! You can't just go after her alone!

But, Itsuki, she's-

Oh... Sorry. When I see her like that, I just remember what happened to Kiria... and it gets hard for me to think straight.

I see...

Hey, Itsuki. You remember back in elementary school? How I used to be kind of clumsy?

...Used to be?

Yeah. Is...something wrong?

Uh, no. Nothing. What about it?

Well, whenever I made a mistake and got all sad... my sister would always ask me to sing with her. And when I did... I'd forget all about being sad, and I'd just laugh and sing with her.

So...if some Mirage is controlling Aya and making her do all this awful stuff... I won't let it hurt her anymore!

If that's the case, then I guess I don't have anything to worry about.

Worry?

Well, if I can avoid it... I really don't want to end up fighting her... But both Kiria and Ms. Maiko trust me to do what I have to.

So I want to save her with my own hands. This time, I'll be the one that helps her smile again!

I'm sure you can do it, Tsubasa. I'll do everything I can to help you.

Okay!

Plus, we've got one more teammate we can rely on. We've got this - right, Touma?

drat right. C'mon, Tsubasa, we've got a rescue mission to take care of!

Itsuki, Touma... thank you!

And with that little inspirational speech, let's head upstairs.

On the way, Itsuki picks up his Rank 2 skill, HP Fitness. It's good for an extra 10% HP, once we get back to base.

And right around the corner, we have our first checkpoint. We could turn back, but we just started this run, so we'll press on for now.

As we step outside, we find ourselves on the stair access. And at the top...

It's showtime.

:siren: The Mirage :siren:

Jackpot. Right over there.

Hey, look at that. Didn't even run away from us this time.

Aya...! I finally caught up!

Oh? If I'd known we'd be entertaining such adorable little guests, I'd have dressed for the occasion...

Something about seeing Tsubasa sets off Aya again. Turns out this whole mind control thing might not be as absolute as it seemed.

Aya... It's really you, isn't it!? It's me, Tsubasa - your little sister!

Who are you...? I don't know anyone like you...

...No, that isn't right. Those eyes - I know those eyes... That unwavering gaze...almost like... Tsubasa!

Yes! It's me, Aya. I've come to take you back... so let's go home together!

No... it can't be her... Tsubasa was so small... an adorable little girl...

Heh heh heh... Overslept, have we? Perhaps I can shed some light. I'd say, you've spent, oh... five years in slumber?

Five... years...

Oh, but Ayaha, that must mean... that girl there truly is your dear sister.

Aah... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

Aya...?

I'm trying too... I'm trying so hard... But I just can't do it anymore! I can't go on like this...!

Aya! What's wrong!?

It must be because of the Mirage that's controlling her...

So quick to shift the blame... You know, darling, no girl likes a man who's so quick to point fingers. Me, controlling Ayaha...? Why, I'm insulted! After all, we're partners.

You mean... these are Ayaha's true feelings...?

No- No, that can't be right! My sister would never say things like that. I saw her practicing so hard, every day. She practiced so late into the night... She was always working so hard!

Poor, naïve little girl... You think hard work is the same as success? All it's good for is false comfort. Just a way to relieve some of the pressure - nothing more. Just ask her yourself.

Better-looking girls dropping out... Better singers cut one after another... It didn't take long for me to realize, I was a joke. There was no way I could become an idol.

But I couldn't let everyone down... It was just too much! I couldn't take it all! Please, just stop telling me I'm someone I'm not... I never had any talent to begin with!

That's not true! When you were an idol, you shone like a beautiful star! I heard you sing... I could feel the emotion in it! I felt your passion for your music!

You can talk all you like, girl, but I'm afraid Ayaha's not interested in listening to your little tantrum.

That's not true! I don't believe that!

The effect is much more obvious in the video, but she believes in her sister so hard it makes a pink aura in the room. It's impressive, in a "okay kid, turn it down a notch" kind of way.

Ngh... Ah...

It's not about talent. You're a star - you're my idol. You were pretty, and cool, and I loved everything you did... and I'll always be your biggest fan!

I can...hear something... Is that... Tsubasa...?

Well. That's problematic...

She hears something...? What does she mean by that...?

I won't let you little wretches hold me back... There's too much I still need to do!

Well, whatever Tsubasa did, it's working enough that our mysterious villain decided to throw an enemy at us. I guess that's progress?

Aya and the mirage slip out, leaving us with a really angry girl and a flying pony. I'm sure this will end swimmingly.

Get out of my way! I don't care what you throw at me... I'm going to save my sister!

Before we deal with our flying friend, we should turn our attention to her companions. Killing these Men o' War should be your first priority for several reasons, not the least of which is because they have an annoying set of resistances that only Itsuki can really exploit (Weak - Sword, Wind; Resist - Lance, Thunder).

Far more important, however, is that these guys are your introduction to the idea that enemies can combo you. These guys are packing Wind-Thunder, Lance-Thunder, and Elec-Thunder, which means that if Tsubasa or Itsuki is on the receiving end of an attack, there's a good chance they're about to go to town on you. The faster these guys go down, the quicker this damage race becomes manageable.

And as if that wasn't enough reason to hunt them down immediately, they also have Poisma up their sleeve, and you do not gently caress with poison in this game. Every turn that you're poisoned, you take damage equal to 25% of your max HP, and it persists after battle, inflicting damage with every step you take until it's cured.

With her backup taken care of, the peg knight herself really isn't that much of a threat. Without the Men o' War, all she can really do is hit you with either Skewer or Zan, and she's weak to both wind and fire so it's pretty easy to work her over with sessions. If we had bows, that would work too, but we're not gonna see them for another few chapters.

At any rate, it doesn't take long to mop her up. Everyone gets a couple levels, Tsubasa gets Fire-Lunge, and we all get to go home happy.

:siren: A Plan of Attack :siren:

Hold on, Tsubasa. We're going after her, but it might be better for you to take a moment and calm down first. ...And not just that. Something's bothering me with how Ayaha was behaving.

What do you mean...?

It was almost like... she couldn't hear you, Tsubasa.

Huh?

Maybe it'd be more accurate to say it was like your voice just wasn't reaching her. Think about it. She was following that Mirage's orders, but she wasn't really responding to Tsubasa, right?

Now that you mention it... you might be right... But then, how can I get Aya to understand how I feel?

Caeda?

Tsubasa, I can sense your love for your sister... and I can feel your wish to save her from peril. I believe your best chance to truly express these feelings to her could be through the power of your singing.

Through a song...

After Kiria's performance, I'm starting to see how song can give words a certain kind of power. A power that's different indeed from the forces we wield in battle.

Like Kiria's concert... Okay. I'll do it! I'm going to save Aya with my song. I know I can!

Itsuki... If I'm remembering right, Tiki said she could use Unity to awaken new abilities.

Maybe with this Performa and Tiki's help, she could sing a song that could break that Mirage's control...

Yeah! Let's go try it!

That sounds like a plan to me. Back to the Bloom Palace!

Before we do that though, some general upgrades. First, a new sword for Itsuki; Touma's been maxed out for a few levels now, but he still doesn't have any new weapons available.

We'll also pick up new radiant skills for both Itsuki and Tsubasa before we grab Feel My Voice. It's nice that it *does* have a mechanical benefit (faster ailment recovery in battle), even if the skill itself is purely a plot token.

Do you think I can reach her now...?

You must believe in yourself, Tsubasa. I know you can save her.

...You're right! No matter what, I'm taking my sister back!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gentle Embrace actually has another effect: If Tsubasa is in the active party, the other two members heal more HP with THEIR healing skills as well. It's nice for Itsuki (he can learn some single-target healing spells) as well as party members 4 and 6, who both can also learn some healing magic.

One thing about HP Fitness: Every character learns it at some point.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I have a pretty good feeling that Aya is possessed by Aversa, especially since the miniboss was a Dark Falcon. In fact, there's so many hints to the Mirage being Aversa that I can't think of anyone else it could be from FE 1, 3, or 13.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I also really like the fact that the plot-mandatory skills have mechanical benefits. It makes the mandatory backtracking out of the dungeon worth it, especially since Traport exists, and the checkpoints are so close to the boss areas.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Huh, maybe I missed it, but you haven't done a video demonstrating a Radiant Unity yet, right? The posing in those sequences are amazing, so maybe putting up a video for those who haven't seen them yet would be nice to show off.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Also, could you show off a battle or two in video format? I'm curious to see what Sessions and stuff look like in motion.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Jade Rider posted:

Also, could you show off a battle or two in video format? I'm curious to see what Sessions and stuff look like in motion.

All the bosses (and sidequests, where relevant) will be shown off in video. I wasn't really planning on showing them at all but the tutorial boss barely counts as a fight so the first one will be showing up in...I believe update 13 or 14. It's soon, at any rate.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Good lord there is a surprisingly high amount of production quality in the videos you are showing us of this game. I guess it really did get hosed over by timing and not doing well in japan. How exactly did this not do well in japan again, it really seem like the kind thing persona crowd at least would get into?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

cokerpilot posted:

Good lord there is a surprisingly high amount of production quality in the videos you are showing us of this game. I guess it really did get hosed over by timing and not doing well in japan. How exactly did this not do well in japan again, it really seem like the kind thing persona crowd at least would get into?

Artix posted:

Wii U exclusive

I say this as someone who has one and likes it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is there anything neat happening on the second screen while the game is running or is this just a one-screen game?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Glazius posted:

So is there anything neat happening on the second screen while the game is running or is this just a one-screen game?

It's where the text messages he presents in quote blocks come up, as well as an area map.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Glazius posted:

It shows a lot of handy info during battle. It shows the enemy you're facing, all the attacks they have, what their weaknesses are, their stats, and (I think) their drops. You can also tap through all your party members to check their attacks and stats.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I said something dumb, and now it's gone.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 5, 2017

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Why can you not just let someone LP at their own pace, instead of forcefully interjecting yourself each time?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 5, 2017

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

beru04 posted:

Why can you not just let someone LP at their own pace, instead of forcefully interjecting yourself each time?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Pretty sure that's still a spoiler because you're talking about something that has NOT happened yet. Also:

beru04 posted:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 5, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

beru04 posted:

Because I really like this game and this LP and am super excited and can't wait for future things to happen? Because I'm passionate and a bit impatient? Because I think Artix is doing a bang-up job?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
those are all terrible reasons

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Junpei posted:

Because I really like this game and this LP and am super excited and can't wait for future things to happen? Because I'm passionate and a bit impatient? Because I think Artix is doing a bang-up job?

That's the problem, you can't wait, therefore you don't want anybody else to. And you think Artix is doing a bang up job, so much so that you're willing to ignore the rules he laid out in the first post?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Junpei posted:

1. I like this game too. So much that I looked up spoilers for it. And yet I'm perfectly content to sit back and relax while Artix takes me on this journey.

2. I can be passionate and impatient too, but again, I'm not willing to annoy/ruin the experience for others just to satisfy myself.

3. If Artix is doing such a great job, why do you so constantly try to change the thread to talk about things you want instead of just listening to his rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know what? Forget what I said. I rescind that remark.

• Locked thread