Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Powder keg posted:

Bitcoin development is going to continue until humanity no longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
do you think the dutch had to deal with loud assholes writing and aggressively distributing entire tedious books about how loving awesome tulip bulbs were?

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

do you think the dutch had to deal with loud assholes writing and aggressively distributing entire tedious books about how loving awesome tulip bulbs were?
No

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/there-never-was-real-tulip-fever-180964915/

jesus christ lol

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

12 or 24 words just means the standard way of encoding the recovery key for modern bitcoin wallets. it has no magical implications and if you are an idiot you could just as well use a single word as your recovery key, and watch all your coins disappear within seconds
Correct. Similarly, you could use your computer as a place to store lots of strong magnets. Bad things happen when people don't understand the tools they're using.

There are some pretty goddamn wild implications though.

https://www.gemini.com/cryptopedia/crypto-cold-storage-brain-wallets

Powder keg fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 26, 2021

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

from the loving link Serpah posted posted:

That’s not to say that everything about the story is wrong; merchants really did engage in a frantic tulip trade, and they paid incredibly high prices for some bulbs. And when a number of buyers announced they couldn’t pay the high price previously agreed upon, the market did fall apart and cause a small crisis—but only because it undermined social expectations.

lol that the article he posted to try and debunk that actually straight up says "Yeah it happened it just didn't destroy the country's economy."

So it's a pretty spot on metaphor for buttcoin. A bunch of rich assholes trading a commodity that's far overpriced and if it crashes nothing happens to the economy overall except for a few rich assholes losing money they didn't need anyway.

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

So it's a pretty spot on metaphor for buttcoin. A bunch of rich assholes trading a commodity that's far overpriced and if it crashes nothing happens to the economy overall except for a few rich assholes losing money they didn't need anyway.
So long as you allow this false narrative to influence your decisions, you will be on the wrong side of both history and the single greatest wealth transfer in the history of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVF4kebiks4&t=31s

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

don't be a rectangle?

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

don't be a rectangle?
:yeah: :thanks:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Powder keg posted:

So long as you allow this false narrative to influence your decisions, you will be on the wrong side of both history and the single greatest wealth transfer in the history of the world.

The only way I could be on the right side of the single greatest wealth transfer in the history of the world is if I worked at a buttcoin exchange taking people's actual money and giving them nothing in return.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BTC is up like 35% over the past week and from what I can tell it's based off nothing at all. Literally nothing.

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Diva Cupcake posted:

BTC is up like 35% over the past week and from what I can tell it's based off nothing at all. Literally nothing.
It's based off of collective extrinsic value.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
you know what would be cooler is if people stopped replying to obvious seraph reregs

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the last signal... posted:

you know what would be cooler is if people stopped replying to obvious seraph reregs

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's an interesting tactic to move on from arguing "my gobal warming black market crime coin is not a speculative bubble" to "speculative bubbles are actually a work of historical fiction"

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

the last signal... posted:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Strong Sauce posted:

11 hours ago 186million tether went into binance, then 4 hours ago binance just created nearly 60+ million BUSD from thin air and bitcoin suddenly starts climbing hmm very interesting.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Powder keg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVF4kebiks4&t=31s
Why is there a wrong side of this wealth transfer that isn't exclusive of the 1%ers? Why do I need to be an early adopter if the future is an equitable well functioning economy? How is it a given that a normal person needs to make a capital investment in monies to be on the right side even when they can barely capitalize the durable goods they need to live every day?

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Been enjoying the rhetorical shift towards trying to appeal to lefties lately, because if I were an uber capitalist who believed something you can purchase with usd to be a serious threat to my position, I would simply buy a lot of it so that wouldn't happen

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Don't worry Bitcoin has not shot up due to it being suddenly being Good Actually it's just a short squeeze to tip leveraged receptionists who bought in too late and too stupidly out of their positions and into the money skips of the people who actually control these nested scams. It's just usually accompanied by an Elon tweet to make it less obvious.

Single greatest wealth transfer of all time over here!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have to love Bitcoin squeezes because it has been years since someone has come in and said "if Bitcoin is so bad why don't you short it?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zedprime posted:

I have to love Bitcoin squeezes because it has been years since someone has come in and said "if Bitcoin is so bad why don't you short it?"
The Big Shart

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's almost as if the same people saying it's a scam also realize that counterparty risk in an opaque market endlessly manipulated by insiders make it a toxic thing to touch, no matter the direction of the bet!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Powder keg posted:

Correct. Similarly, you could use your computer as a place to store lots of strong magnets. Bad things happen when people don't understand the tools they're using.

There are some pretty goddamn wild implications though.

https://www.gemini.com/cryptopedia/crypto-cold-storage-brain-wallets

Imagine keeping your “money” (lol) in a cold wallet that is so completely defective that it looked at crypto and said,”Looks good!”

:wom:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Powder keg posted:

extrinsic value.

“value” :lmao:

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
"Extrinsic value," as in: it's worth something only because people decided it's worth something. Just like that filthy fiat system that it's supposed to be disrupting.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I remember the good ole days of making the phone vibrate off the chair, remote controlled drones and stolen laptops. Bitcoin is just...boring...to me now :(

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Please remember that seraph was originally banned for asking serious questions about the age of consent.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I made money from crypto and still think it is fuckin stupid

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Smithsonianmag.com posted:

“Some of the stuff hasn’t lasted, like the idea that God punishes people who are overreaching by causing them to have the plague. That’s one of the things people said in the 1630s,” Goldgar says. “But the idea that you get punished if you overreach? You still hear that. It’s all, ‘pride goes before the fall.’”

God punished us for Bitcoin by sending us the Coronavirus.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Diva Cupcake posted:

AFAIK It went up because Elon made a tweet that he was holding bitcoin forever, something to the effect of "I pump but I never dump~!!".

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Powder keg posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amazon-set-to-accept-cryptocurrency

Welp, GG close, nocoiners. That's the ball game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXiYXfrPeF0

Credit where credit is due, you fought like demons. But you lost. It's over. In hindsight, this was inevitable.

You were always owned, from the moment the first post was made about Bitcoin on these forums. You will continue to be owned forever, long after the information in the posts on these ancient forums has faded from history.

All that short term fiat trading price movement is noise, by the way. Bitcoin had a much stronger value proposition during the recent dip to 29k than it did at its ATH of ~65k, before taproot had been locked in.

If you want to evaluate Bitcoin in terms of its trading price against worthless fiat government currency, I'd argue there are only four meaningful points of data. One every four years starting on January 9th, 2009. That's not a very robust dataset! That's why fiat price is one of the worst metrics by which to evaluate Bitcoin. Nonetheless, a picture is beginning to emerge here, slowly but surely. Do you see it, reader? Has the situation become clear to you yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaxq3iggMdM

Uh oh, just another pump and dump rumour.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2EW2HT

quote:

(Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc on Monday denied a media report saying the e-commerce giant was looking to accept bitcoin payments by the end of the year.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Prurient Squid posted:

God punished us for Bitcoin by sending us the Coronavirus.

I don’t agree with this. Bitcoin is proof-of-stupid bad enough for Yellowstone to wipe us out just so the cockroaches can advance into the dominant intelligent life form.

Edit: Lightning Network is even stupider and God may need to cast Earth into the sun to make sure the cockroaches never reinvent Blockchain “technology” in 4 Billion years, too.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 27, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Amazon is probably going to do what all these other "we accept Bitcoin" places are doing: take people's butts for a lovely rate, and sell them off immediately at a proft.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

snorch posted:

Amazon is probably going to do what all these other "we accept Bitcoin" places are doing: take people's butts for a lovely rate, and sell them off immediately at a proft.

Illuminti posted:

Uh oh, just another pump and dump rumour.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2EW2HT

Reuters posted:

Amazon.com Inc on Monday denied a media report saying the e-commerce giant was looking to accept bitcoin payments by the end of the year.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Diva Cupcake posted:

My preferred theory is that reporters asked Tether for comment on the "lol DoJ criminal investigation" story, so it became time for a night of skullduggery and rumors and short liquidations. Because the crypto markets are real and efficient and good.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1419667241612759041

https://twitter.com/Tr0llyTr0llFace/status/1419662948566552578

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

snorch posted:

Big businesses have never really "accepted" bitcoin. They just take the actualbux from an exchange that accepts them on their behalf at a premium to the crimecoin bagholders.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The real winners are always the middlemen.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Tl;dr:

https://youtu.be/Y7pz7CqWTMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bitcoin cultists really tend to a variation of Thursdayism. Bitcoin will be adopted by institutions next Thursday! Bitcoin will stop being an environmental nightmare next Thursday! The problem with transaction speed with be solved next Thursday!

But next Thursday is always next Thursday - it's never this Thursday.