Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Thing dragging Warframe down: DE_Steve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Thing dragging Warframe down: Archwings loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck holy poo poo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schubalts posted:

Least' the public chat isn't poo poo anymore with that poo poo mod that would drag new players to the Second Dream, which is basically THE turning point of the game

Inco posted:

Thing dragging Warframe down: Archwings loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck holy poo poo

Arcwings, also known as "Hope you don't get motion sickness lol otherwise kiss Atlas goodbye"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Almost every sports video game has an AI thing dragging it down.

When you play against the CPU, in any sports game, you can feel the AI cheating and loving with you if you start kicking its rear end too hard. When you play head to head, there's always a cheap "money play" or some exploit in the game design that you have to house rule out if you want to have any fun with the game, most especially in online play of any sort. Madden leagues are rife with this stuff and have been for over a decade.

Somehow, there's always one or three things that work every loving time and the whole contest devolves into preventing and combating those design flaws. Which is weird because you'd think by now that developers could just use game play styles from users and translate them into the CPU AI to weed out cheap poo poo and discern what's broken.

Family Guy (I think) even did a joke on it one episode with an old basketball game once.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Inco posted:

The single worst part about Archwings is that the easiest way to not play Archwing missions is to not play Warframe entirely. There is nothing fun about it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Didn't Family Guy use let's play footage without permission and then the network copyright strikes the original owner?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Schubalts posted:

This is the man, yes. I've posted before about his clownshoes game design and the list of bad ideas has only grown since then. More or less this man has been at the heart of nearly every bad warframe idea, defended the bad things he didn't do and even when the team is fixing the game, will get on the forums to argue about how no, in fact the game was good and everyone else is just bad at playing it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gann Jerrod posted:

I had the same problem with Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Having to stop every 5 minutes to play jump rope or Bejeweled really soured me on the game.

That's a pain but it wasn't quite as bad as I remembered last time I replayed it mainly because the last couple sequels felt like their lesson from that was to put "pad game length" as the first sentence on page 1 of the design document :arghfist:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inco posted:

I admit I'm partial to Archwings to a degree because they have a bit of a Freespace vibe to them, but I think the worst part isn't the gameplay itself, but that it's very reluctant to give you good weapons for its gameplay.

The first ones it gives you are a straight-firing machine gun and a sword, neither of which is very good for a super-mobile game mode. My enjoyment of the Archwing stuff improved immensely once I ended up packing the Larkspur, which instead fires auto-locking lasers (picture Symmetra's old latching laser from Overwatch and you're close). When aiming isn't a huge priority anymore, suddenly Archwing missions got a whole lot more fun.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Cleretic posted:

I admit I'm partial to Archwings to a degree because they have a bit of a Freespace vibe to them, but I think the worst part isn't the gameplay itself, but that it's very reluctant to give you good weapons for its gameplay.

I would counter that the flight itself sucks balls. I'm flying forward, not touching the mouse and only holding W and Space, and I'm moving diagonally. I'm not trying to move left or right into a wall, but the game is forcing me into a wall for seemingly no reason. It's like trying to drive drunk in GTA4 or something. It's loving awful, top to bottom.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
The Observation is fantastic for about 2/3rds of its length and then it moves from hard sci-fi to supernatural stuff and it gets way less interesting. Space is really scary by itself, that setting (if portrayed realistically enough) doesn't need spooky stuff to feel tense.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I was gifted Uncharted 4 a couple years ago and finally got around to playing it. It's been a real letdown to realize how much this game doesn't need me. It feels like maybe one step more interaction than a Telltale game. I don't want to poo-poo walking simulators - there are some I like, but I generally don't go for that. It's almost like they were teasing me when they had me play a level of Crash Bandicoot. There's a prison escape in like the 5th chapter where they toss you a gun and tell you to shoot your way out. I was curious if I could, so I didn't fire even one shot. I just took cover until the npcs killed each other, and the sequence played itself out.

It's gorgeous and the acting is good. I think I need to drop it, and come back for it when I'm cooling off of a really difficult game or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Attack on Titan 2, hella fun, but its one of those games with a ranking system that doesn't tell you about what scores to hit. I get S ranks often but the occasional A rank because I either killed too little titans or took too long killing more. I don't know if I kill enough so its just me going around murdering every one I see and hoping I finish fast enough.

Also the game ranks your kills depending on any mistakes you make, and sometimes it feels like the titan's hitboxes aren't where their body is. Especially when they're busy rag dolling around boulders, I'll be zooming into their spine and will suddenly get pushed back and told I didn't have enough speed or wasn't focusing on the body part like I attempt to attack.

E: To add to the second point, there are also times where you're striking one titan and another gets close, so you hit it as well and generally, its not in a good position so you'll be marked for "bad angle" despite not even targeting that one.

Leal has a new favorite as of 17:44 on May 27, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Can we as a species move on from "and then a big beefy guy with a minigun shows up and he takes 1000 bullets to put down...but then you get to pick up the minigun and because you're a little scrawny idiot it slows you to a snail's crawl but maybe if you're lucky we'll spawn some fodder for you to shoot at so you can feel like a badass for a couple of seconds before carrying on like normal because otherwise it's completely impractical to use"?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

I was gifted Uncharted 4 a couple years ago and finally got around to playing it. It's been a real letdown to realize how much this game doesn't need me.

Oh man, this is basically what's kept me from going back to finish it, and it's literally the first game I got for the system years ago. I want to love it so much, but it just feels so overdesigned and cinematic that there's not much to actually play.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have been killed by the gold trimmed car in nuclear throne three or four times now.

There's apparently a character unlock tied to this gold trimmed car. In order to get it you have to attack the car with a screwdriver.

So to do this it requires having a screwdriver randomly spawn, find the car, and successfully attack said car.

But the end of level portal blows up cars if it's too close, some of the enemies on that level explode, and the car explodes if it gets shot too much.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Can we as a species move on from "and then a big beefy guy with a minigun shows up and he takes 1000 bullets to put down...but then you get to pick up the minigun and because you're a little scrawny idiot it slows you to a snail's crawl but maybe if you're lucky we'll spawn some fodder for you to shoot at so you can feel like a badass for a couple of seconds before carrying on like normal because otherwise it's completely impractical to use"?
This. Unless the minigun guy flashes red when you kick him in the face with your ninja feet, I don't want to see it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh man, this is basically what's kept me from going back to finish it, and it's literally the first game I got for the system years ago. I want to love it so much, but it just feels so overdesigned and cinematic that there's not much to actually play.

I played Uncharted Lost Legacy immediately after finishing Sekiro, which made it really off-putting how much the game basically prods and pokes you right the way through it.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider nails that formula much better imo.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

I played Uncharted Lost Legacy immediately after finishing Sekiro, which made it really off-putting how much the game basically prods and pokes you right the way through it.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider nails that formula much better imo.

That's funny because I thought Lost Legacy in particular did basically everything better than the last TR reboots.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SoTR's puzzle designs in the challenge tombs are way beyond anything in any Uncharted game imo. Maybe Uncharted does big setpieces better, but they're basically cut scenes at this point.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm not even sure I knew Lost Legacy existed but I did enjoy the reboot Tomb Raiders (Tombs Raider?). I went back to the first one after giving up on Uncharted 4 and liked it enough to play through the rest. Whatever problems those games had, they at least gave me the gameplay that Uncharted felt like it was promising but not quite delivering.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I played through like 80% of Uncharted 1 at a friends' house and then like 40% of it on my own PS3 and now even though I have owned the remastered trilogy on PS4 for ages I still haven't fired it up because I feel like I should beat the first one first and I don't particularly want to play through all of it again.

I liked the Vita one though, it was fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

I played through like 80% of Uncharted 1 at a friends' house and then like 40% of it on my own PS3 and now even though I have owned the remastered trilogy on PS4 for ages I still haven't fired it up because I feel like I should beat the first one first and I don't particularly want to play through all of it again.

I liked the Vita one though, it was fun.

The first uncharted is not great. It was a ps3 launch title and it shows. Uncharted 2 is probably the best in the series imo

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"Man, why did I stop playing Pokemon Go, outside of laziness?"

Oh yeah, I'm at {whatever} city and there's pretty much no functioning maps in-game, so you have to hope and pray you're going the right route instead of properly knowing ahead of time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

The first uncharted is not great. It was a ps3 launch title and it shows. Uncharted 2 is probably the best in the series imo

It was early but not a launch title, came out a full year after the system did.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

John Murdoch posted:

Slow walking with a turret always bothered me, and it really stuck out in Halo 3. You’re strong enough to flip a multi-ton tank over but if you grab a turret you’re reduced to walking speed.

I don’t even feel like it’s there for balance as the turret unmounted was awful and barely had any ammo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

"Man, why did I stop playing Pokemon Go, outside of laziness?"

Oh yeah, I'm at {whatever} city and there's pretty much no functioning maps in-game, so you have to hope and pray you're going the right route instead of properly knowing ahead of time.
It's a really bad game, but if they ever put out an AR Pokemon Snap that works similarly I will play the poo poo out of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a really bad game, but if they ever put out an AR Pokemon Snap that works similarly I will play the poo poo out of it.

My fiancee still plays it which is okay because she forces me outside into the sun to go walking with her.

But Jesus Christ does it murder our data.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Mea Culpa, I meant Pokemon Let's Go, not Go. Go is its own kettle of annoyances (mostly, like Ingress, either I'm full up on items or I'm utterly drained on em and ugh)/

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a goddamn shame there still hasn't been a Pokémon Snap sequel. You've had multiple generations of consoles and handhelds with motion controls and built-in cameras, Nintendo!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Schubalts posted:

It's a goddamn shame there still hasn't been a Pokémon Snap sequel. You've had multiple generations of consoles and handhelds with motion controls and built-in cameras, Nintendo!

Apparently there's a dog snapping game that's coming out soon. Pupperazi I think it is

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Schubalts posted:

Well someone was clearly inspired enough by it to make their own game like it, but with dogs
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1028350/Pupperazzi/

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Right? The fact that there hasn't been a 3DS one or something with a regular Snap game and then an AR mode is insane to me.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Len posted:

I have been killed by the gold trimmed car in nuclear throne three or four times now.

There's apparently a character unlock tied to this gold trimmed car. In order to get it you have to attack the car with a screwdriver.

So to do this it requires having a screwdriver randomly spawn, find the car, and successfully attack said car.

But the end of level portal blows up cars if it's too close, some of the enemies on that level explode, and the car explodes if it gets shot too much.

You don’t have to finish the level to use the car. Just run up and smack it and mash whatever the grab button is for your system.

The character unlock isn’t nearly as important as the bomb-rear end track you get to hear.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SkeletonHero posted:

You don’t have to finish the level to use the car. Just run up and smack it and mash whatever the grab button is for your system.

The character unlock isn’t nearly as important as the bomb-rear end track you get to hear.

I managed to smack the car and repair it. Didn't realize there was another step because I was too busy getting shot.

So I smacked the car again

:happyelf:

Edit: Do we have another smiley for an explosion killing people or just this one?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:byoscience: or :ohno: ?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Borderlands 2 Axton's special ability is just a bad Deathtrap, and Axton outside of the turret skills doesn't get anything interesting for himself that wasn't a skill Roland had. BL2Reborn does fix a good few of these issues, at least, yet I still see no reason at all to go for the survival tree when there's only two interesting skills (mag-lock and gemini, even then mag-lock only really works with the longbow turret SO WHY IS IT IN THE SURVIVAL TREE)

Len posted:

:happyelf:

Edit: Do we have another smiley for an explosion killing people or just this one?

I love these forums

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wish Nuclear Throne had more than 3 levels

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
There's 4 main levels, 3 shorter transition levels, and several side areas, for a total of 8 to 10 distinct tilesets

But I agree, I wish nuclear throne had more content in general because what's there has already given me so many hours of fun. I want more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

KingSlime posted:

There's 4 main levels, 3 shorter transition levels, and several side areas, for a total of 8 to 10 distinct tilesets

But I agree, I wish nuclear throne had more content in general because what's there has already given me so many hours of fun. I want more

Nah I'm pretty sure the game ends right after you kill the Big Bandit