Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Empress Brosephine posted:

I don’t think Sony can win after that show

They could show a single new exclusive game and win.

MS basically just gave 2 hours of free advertising to a bunch of multiplatform games that people will buy for their PC/PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah sony is gonna come out and say “here is an exclusive new IP” and shuffle offstage while the same trailers microsoft played loop

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So uh, where are those games they said were added to gamepass today?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Enjoy it, hopefully it sells well and dont flop

Well, it sold 3 million copies already, so it's not flopping no matter how the Xbox port goes. Success or failure mostly reflects on the Xbox and its audience.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
My only issue with game pass is Xfinity data caps. Gears 4 and Halo 5 are both more than 100 gigs each.

How often is stuff rotated off? It’d be a bummer to miss out on stuff because I’m working around the cap

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zelah posted:

My only issue with game pass is Xfinity data caps. Gears 4 and Halo 5 are both more than 100 gigs each.

How often is stuff rotated off? It’d be a bummer to miss out on stuff because I’m working around the cap

They ditched 21 games last month and added 10 or so this months

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

What the hell is Fast Start? They barely explained it and the person delivering the information was really bad at reading and delivering her lines?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zelah posted:

Most games last about 6 months to a year so far.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beastie posted:

What the hell is Fast Start? They barely explained it and the person delivering the information was really bad at reading and delivering her lines?

They want to make launching a game before it is fully installed a less lovely feature using AI or whatever. Ignore it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Beastie posted:

They are going to spy on you and then try to figure out which part of a game you would likely want to play first and download that. I think it also automatically downloads games it thinks you would like.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It sounds like Killzone on PS4 in 2013 was most of the way towards this "fast start" feature. Here's how that game worked, for what it's worth:

When installing, you can tell it to install the single player or the multiplayer first. The multiplayer installs as a wad, but the single player would systematically install one level at a time after it installed the game's core assets. So you could very quickly start the single player game and if you weren't absolutely blazing through the levels you could play through the whole game as it was downloading no problem. Of course, if you were reinstalling with a later save game this didn't really work that well.

A few games on PS4/XB1 were designed around working off a partial install (the "ready to start" status on XB1), how exactly this manifests varies.

Many open world games have some sort of separate starter area where the first bit of game takes place, before you actually gain access to the proper full open world. With a partial install, you can do this first bit, but can't actually get into the open world without a full install. So like GTA5 I think lets you do that bank robbery prologue mission, and cuts off just before it jumps to present day in the shrink's office. Infamous: Second Son has like 30-60 minutes of game requiring you to get into San Francisco proper, and this initial chunk is playable with a partial install.

Sports games will let you play a "quick match", possibly with only two playable teams until fully installed (at least some entries of MLB The Show work weirdly and will systematically give you access to teams as they're fully installed, but the order of installation is somewhat random).

Halo MCC also had the thing where it installs the single player Halo games in a super-weird order (2, 3, 4, 1), then installs the Multiplayer.

If AI is thrown into the mix it could involve things like knowing what you prefer between multi- and single-player and installing those assets first, or install single player components based on your current save progress if you have one, not install languages you won't use, stuff like that.

Of course this is all conditional, plenty of newer games including on PS4 don't let you do gently caress-all until fully installed anyway, it depends on how the game is designed on a technical level and if the devs care enough to do what's necessary for fast start to work.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lol I forgot the xbox thing was today, some gamer I am.

Did they announce EA access premier for xbox or no

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lol I forgot the xbox thing was today, some gamer I am.

Did they announce EA access premier for xbox or no

Sounded like PC only? So maybe it’s on Xbox?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Seriously when are they adding the drat games to the pass?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They announced three games being added to game pass "today" even though they still aren't on there.

Also, I already did the one month of game pass for a dollar thing and then canceled it because they took away a bunch of games and then didn't add any new ones. But when I went into game pass to see if they actually added those games, it offered to let me buy a month for a dollar again. So I did that. I guess I'll see if they cancel it or something.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Hugely important announcement

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1006012882646007809

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Tsietisin posted:

Metal Wolf Chaos or nothing.

Mech America Great Again

Just like to say I made this joke years ago so Devolver you owe me loads of money.

Of course I also said later in this very thread that is this ever comes out that I would give Microsoft all of the money.

Easy come, easy go I suppose.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

I think this is really cool and something that has been missing from gaming. There are a lot of disabled and/or semi-disabled people out there that would like to play games but can't due to the design of current controllers. You can also use this controller with a PC so hopefully it will work with other games. I know for example that the Farming Simulator series have a lot of disabled players.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'm super excited for Battletoads I think it's going to be great on Xbox One X. Best new exclusive.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Sekiro looks good. It may be third party but I'll be playing it on Xbox One so in the end does it really matter? Does anything? :dukedoge:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm super excited for Battletoads I think it's going to be great on Xbox One X. Best new exclusive.

I'm excited for a logo as well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mung Dynasty posted:

Sekiro looks good. It may be third party but I'll be playing it on Xbox One so in the end does it really matter? Does anything? :dukedoge:

Once our streaming future is upon us as Don Mattrick intended, it will matter even less than it does now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Once our streaming future is upon us as Don Mattrick intended, it will matter even less than it does now.

Im hype to see games designed around 30 frames of input lag

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Lambert posted:

I'm excited for a logo as well.

Yeah but this is Rare returning to what it does best, i.e. platformers. Battletoads is gonna be great.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Im hype to see games designed around 30 frames of input lag

Games are already being designed around lag to a certain degree due to digital display fuckery. PS Now works well if your internet is good and you're fully wired in, but it definitely goes to hell in a hurry if you start creating interference or have a bad internet connection.

I can see the merit in the idea that the next gen could be the last one, if for no other reason than we're running out of ways for technology to meaningfully improve gaming.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Cojawfee posted:

They announced three games being added to game pass "today" even though they still aren't on there.

Also, I already did the one month of game pass for a dollar thing and then canceled it because they took away a bunch of games and then didn't add any new ones. But when I went into game pass to see if they actually added those games, it offered to let me buy a month for a dollar again. So I did that. I guess I'll see if they cancel it or something.

They took away (read: the license expired after 1 year) the Bioshock games and a bunch of indie 360 games then added Kotor 1, both Force Unleashed games, Technomancer and now Division, Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 4. Plus State of Decay 2. They also announced Ashen and Vermintide 2 would be there day 1 as soon as they launch.

I don’t believe that’s a bad service for $10 a month.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah but this is Rare returning to what it does best, i.e. platformers. Battletoads is gonna be great.

Rare doesn't do anything well

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also the game streaming is 100% how they handle cross-gen titles moving forward. Play Bone 2 games on a Bone 1

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Daric posted:

They took away (read: the license expired after 1 year) the Bioshock games and a bunch of indie 360 games then added Kotor 1, both Force Unleashed games, Technomancer and now Division, Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 4. Plus State of Decay 2. They also announced Ashen and Vermintide 2 would be there day 1 as soon as they launch.

I don’t believe that’s a bad service for $10 a month.

I don't understand why they are removing games at all. Do they wear out and lose freshness or something? "Gotta rotate these out before they get rotten."

TheScott2K posted:

Rare doesn't do anything well

You know that's not true. Rare has had a lot of good titles and I've read a lot of great stories of deep PvP interactions in the Sea of Thieves thread. I think everyone should be playing Rare games, right now.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't understand why they are removing games at all. Do they wear out and lose freshness or something? "Gotta rotate these out before they get rotten."

It's licenses expiring and the IP owners wanting to see more from the revenue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah its not like microsoft bought all those games, its not any different than Netflix’s rotating stock of films.

Like Netflix Im happy theyve so far shown commitment to securing more titles people want and a pipeline of day and date releases for things that arent theres. Now they just need some prestige games on the service

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Oh that makes sense. So MS stuff should be on there more or less indefinitely, right? I mean, Netflix is never gonna drop Bright or Altered Carbon.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

Oh that makes sense. So MS stuff should be on there more or less indefinitely, right? I mean, Netflix is never gonna drop Bright or Altered Carbon.

I believe that was inferred in some earlier interviews, yes.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

If Microsoft ever pulled games from their own studios you'd know the service would be shitcanned a week later.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The only game announcement that matters this e3 is the Division2

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Finster Dexter posted:

You know that's not true. Rare has had a lot of good titles and I've read a lot of great stories of deep PvP interactions in the Sea of Thieves thread. I think everyone should be playing Rare games, right now.

:perfect:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

The only game announcement that matters this e3 is the Division2

I concur. I'll be buying Day One.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'll pass on Division 2, I personally would like to see what they can do with Ghost Recon Wildlands 2.

The MMO-ness of Division 1 sort of turned me off. I haven't been back to it since I gave it up three months after launch, maybe it's changed.

Dying Light 2 is going to rule.

Halo, who really cares right now? Same for Gears 5.

Never been a DMC fan. I think that one samurai game looks rad but I suck at Souls games.

Rage 2 is going to own so drat hard.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Beastie posted:

I'll pass on Division 2, I personally would like to see what they can do with Ghost Recon Wildlands 2.

The MMO-ness of Division 1 sort of turned me off. I haven't been back to it since I gave it up three months after launch, maybe it's changed.

Dying Light 2 is going to rule.

Halo, who really cares right now? Same for Gears 5.

Never been a DMC fan. I think that one samurai game looks rad but I suck at Souls games.

Rage 2 is going to own so drat hard.

Division dropped a patch that completely changed the end game, added a ton more loot, fixed a bunch of issues with stats, etc. It was a decent game at launch. It’s a great game now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Amazon Canada not even allowing games to be ordered, let alone having an e3 sale after many years of 30% off is annoying. e3 sales were huge here, it was the only time you could get new games for significantly less than $90 after tax. e.g. I bought Detroit Become Human for $50 Cdn then sold it to an American goon for $45 US ($59 Cdn).

In the past they auto-matched Walmart and Best Buy sales but since they're not even listing them it's either full price or buy elsewhere. Walmart/Best Buy make it difficult to cancel orders and have unreliable shipping.

But I'm moving to Australia so I guess it's time to get used to $100 games anyway.