Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

quote:

the production of Taking Tiger Mountain is both absurd and unbelievable, due in part to the unlikely involvement of William S. Burroughs, whose only feature film writing credit is attached to it.

Sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

VS sale is up! The other May titles are Night Beast and Lust in the Dust. The Vinegar Syndrome Archive titles are Savage Harbor and Evil Town. You can also buy a slip cover for Raw Force now!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
They also snuck some announcements in the 2019 Halfway package:

quote:

August 2019:
4 Blu-ray combos $137.92 (MSRP)
Hell Comes to Frogtown (new 4k restoration) and 3 others

September 2019:
4 Blu-ray combos $137.92 (MSRP)
The Vineyard, Secta Siniestra (look up the trailer) and 2 other horror releases

October 2019:
3 Blu-ray combos + 1 Box Set $184.92 (MSRP)
Unmasked Part 25, 2 other horror combos and a horror box set

Hell Comes to Frogtown in August!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

OH poo poo, LUST IN THE DUST.

I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Trying to stay cheap for this sale, so I only went with Blood Harvest, Body Melt, and Nightbeast. Also, Christmas Evil is only $12.49 for those of you who don't have it. It's worth a blind buy!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I bought a Hot & Saucy Pizza Girls shirt, so that’s where I’m at in life... also went with My Chauffeur, Petey Wheatstraw, Uninvited and Wacko. Might buy more in the morning. There’s just too many movies in VS catalog that I don’t know anything about. Need to do some research.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Trying to stay cheap for this sale, so I only went with Blood Harvest, Body Melt, and Nightbeast. Also, Christmas Evil is only $12.49 for those of you who don't have it. It's worth a blind buy!

Hell yeah Body Melt everyone should get that. Same with Christmas Evil.

Even on sale, three movies and shipping is gonna cost $107AU, so I might sit this one out. All the June titles look extremely My poo poo so I might hold off and just order that instead of filling out the catalog.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is Lust in the Dust going to be available later without the special slip cover or is it a one time thing?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I, Butthole posted:

Hell Comes to Frogtown in August!

:woop:

For the record, they've been teasing a boxed set for two years now, so hopefully it actually happens this year!

Liar Lyre posted:

I bought a Hot & Saucy Pizza Girls shirt, so that’s where I’m at in life... also went with My Chauffeur, Petey Wheatstraw, Uninvited and Wacko. Might buy more in the morning. There’s just too many movies in VS catalog that I don’t know anything about. Need to do some research.

Seriously, just buy anything that looks interesting.

OR ask for opinions, seriously, reading the description for Night Beast today, there's a section that mentions that anyone who spends over $100 in this sale is entered to win a model of the ship from Night Beast. Looking over the back catalog this morning, that's going to be tough for me, because at this point I have almost all of their titles that I want.

Also, sup fellow Hot and Saucy Pizza Girls shirt owner?

CPL593H posted:

Is Lust in the Dust going to be available later without the special slip cover or is it a one time thing?

The slipcovers are typically limited run, but the standard editions usually get a reissue. The only exceptions are when they explicitly say they won't reissue it in the product description.

Cutting Class was the only one thus far that had the slipcovers exclusive to a sale, and Mausoleum, they misjudged demand and actually sold out during a sale.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Isn't Frogtown already out on blu in America? I dunno how I feel about VS putting out such well known cult movies.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Teenage Fansub posted:

Isn't Frogtown already out on blu in America? I dunno how I feel about VS putting out such well known cult movies.

I don't think so, the Arrow release is UK-only (although maybe region free?)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Any opinions on The Passing and Night Owl? I definitely want Putney Swope and Taking Tiger Mountain, but never heard of the other two.

Lust in the Dust looks interesting between it being a Paul Bartel film and starring Divine, but is it actually watchable?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I picked up

Evil Town
Dear Dead Delilah
Mausoleum
Mountaintop Massacre
Night beast
Christmas Evil

Definitely want Putney Swope and Taking Tiger Mountain

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The one review of The Passing on Letterboxd sure sells it.

quote:

Like Harmony Korine directed a tender sci-fi story about elderly friends with the occasional sprinkling of rape revenge fantasy. Completely nuts, even goes visually metaphysical for a spell. Clearly made with no budget or even lighting, but the director definitely has some sort of vision, muddy as it is. I was actually a little bit moved by the end. Definitely a black diamond run for weird movie lovers, but if you’re patient it’s surprisingly rewarding.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

Any opinions on The Passing and Night Owl? I definitely want Putney Swope and Taking Tiger Mountain, but never heard of the other two.

Lust in the Dust looks interesting between it being a Paul Bartel film and starring Divine, but is it actually watchable?

Lust in the Dust is on Prime to rent for $3. I say rent it first if you aren’t sure.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I can't imagine a Paul Bartel/Divine Western not being an utter delight, but there's no way it can be as good as Desperate Living, the John Waters movie Divine couldn't do because he was too busy filming Lust in the Dust.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

So, I have extra copies of Deadpool 2 and the Friday the 13th 6-disc set, anyone need them? Would like to trade for something else of sell for a little less than ebay average.

https://imgur.com/a/4jwYkAL

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I ended up getting Deathrow Game Show, Frightmare, Slaughterhouse and Grandmothers House. I thought I’d get free shipping to here in Canada but I guess it has to be over $100 USD before that kicks in.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Went with the June bundle with Putney Swope, Taking Tiger Mountain, The Passing, and Night Owl (just wanted the first two, but at worst I can sell off the other two) plus Sweet Sweetback and Psychos in Love. By the way, everyone owes it to themselves to get at least Liquid Sky and Christmas Evil. Also, anyone who liked The Last Movie should see The American Dreamer. And I thought Catch My Soul was interesting - a rock opera version of Othello directed by Patrick McGoohan of all people.

Also, Kino confirmed full specs for Hitchcock's Blackmail, coming on August 13 (his 120th birthday). Both the talkie and silent versions from BFI restorations, with the silent including a score by Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra. Extras include a commentary by Tim Lucas, archival Hitchcock/Truffaut audio interviews, introduction by Noel Simsolo, Anny Ondra's screen test, and a comparison of a scene between the two versions.

They're also planning to release a set of restored Yiddish films next year.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Egbert Souse posted:

a rock opera version of Othello directed by Patrick McGoohan of all people.
S O L D

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was only going to get one movie but you fuckers are a bad influence and I got two. The Ice Cream Man and Christmas Evil.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I was only going to get one movie but you fuckers are a bad influence and I got two. The Ice Cream Man and Christmas Evil.

Don't just stop there! Blue Vengeance owns, you should get that too!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't just stop there! Blue Vengeance owns, you should get that too!

Paypal me the money.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Grabbed Lust in the Dust while I was at it, too.

Oh, also it stars Richie Havens and was shot by Conrad Hall. (It's not a great movie, but it does have an excellent soundtrack and an interesting spin in inferring Iago is the devil incarnate)

Also, it's worth nothing that if you want The Doors on UHD, you might want to import the UK edition. Lionsgate is leaving off two of the Blu-ray discs containing the bulk of the supplements and a doc on The Doors (When You're Strange) that appear on the UK release.

Warner Bros. is releasing a set of the Burton/Schumacher Batman films on UHD on Sept. 17. Looks like all extras are carried over, with the films being new 4K remasters with HDR and Dolby Atmos remixes. The included Blu-rays are of the new remasters instead of repackagings.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner Bros. is releasing a set of the Burton/Schumacher Batman films on UHD on Sept. 17. Looks like all extras are carried over, with the films being new 4K remasters with HDR and Dolby Atmos remixes. The included Blu-rays are of the new remasters instead of repackagings.

My issue with waiting for sets like that is I worry it'll be those lovely sleeves that are notorious for damaging discs. If that turns out to be true I'd rather just have the individual releases so that each one is safer in it's individual case.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

My issue with waiting for sets like that is I worry it'll be those lovely sleeves that are notorious for damaging discs. If that turns out to be true I'd rather just have the individual releases so that each one is safer in it's individual case.

Sounds like it's just a slipcase with the individual releases.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I'm so happy that more people are going to see Christmas Evil, the best Santa film ever.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
And it's John Waters's favorite Christmas movie, which tell you everything you need to know about how good it is.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Almost Blue posted:

And it's John Waters's favorite Christmas movie, which tell you everything you need to know about how good it is.

If I hadn't already bought it this would have sold it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
That blu-ray also has an audio commentary with John Waters and the director, it owns.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The New Kids is coming out on blu in August. This is a pretty good teen/horror movie featuring James Spader and Lori Loughlin by the director of Friday the 13th. The slipcase is that retro VHS style.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Would buy day one if there's an alt commentary that just dunks on Loughlin and her influencer daughter.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BFI has a small bank holiday sale:
https://shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray/may-bank-holiday-special-offer.html

Note that most of these are Region 2/B.

Highlights:

Woodfall (Blu-ray) - set of Woodfall Films (mostly by Tony Richardson). While there's US releases of Tom Jones, A Taste of Honey, and The Knack, the rest aren't on Blu-ray yet here.
Napoleon is obviously not in-print in the US, though Criterion apparently has it.
Dissent & Disruption: Alan Clarke at BBC (complete surviving TV films)
Carl Theodor Dreyer Collection: Same films as Criterion's Dreyer set, except new restorations on Blu-ray
Werner Herzog Collection: Has films not on the Shout! set, missing a few from Shout!, but better encodes of Nosferatu.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

And DiabolikDVD are doing an Arrow Sale until June 2nd, up to 50% off. And then Severin are doing a sale next weekend, 31st through 3rd, up to 50% off as well with some new stuff too.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sthaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppppppppppppppppp.

I've been saving money for concert merch this weekend (Seein' Xiu Xiu and two nights of Earth, got my fingers crossed for posters), this is killing me.

EDIT: But do note that the restoration job on Killer Klowns from Outer Space is exquisite and Brain Damage rules. I'm definitely preferring Arrow over Scream Factory these days. Arrow tends to go with full remasters on most of their stuff and Scream's stuck with whatever the studio gives them and man, Ravenous deserves better.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 25, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like this sales but I’m weird; I don’t or very rarely buy blu Rays onljne. I prefer to look and buy them in store as I get the same rush as I used to get when I would go to rental stores and browse the aisles and pick out a movie that sounds cool or looks cool, especially with Arrow movies which are 85% sure to be movies I’ve never seen before.

Every few months I get to go to a novelty store like FYe or Newbury Comics who stock Arrow films so it’s fun. But that might be a rare luxury to me because I live in the boonies. Oh well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

I like this sales but I’m weird; I don’t or very rarely buy blu Rays onljne. I prefer to look and buy them in store as I get the same rush as I used to get when I would go to rental stores and browse the aisles and pick out a movie that sounds cool or looks cool, especially with Arrow movies which are 85% sure to be movies I’ve never seen before.

Every few months I get to go to a novelty store like FYe or Newbury Comics who stock Arrow films so it’s fun. But that might be a rare luxury to me because I live in the boonies. Oh well.

I totally understand where you're coming from because I would much rather buy poo poo in stores, the problem is those stores charge way more than you'd pay for these things online. Thought Fye despite its reputation did have a bunch of good sales on blu-rays that allowed me to get a lot of cool poo poo at below Amazon prices. But the one in my area went out of business and the rest are following pretty rapidly. Newbury Comics used to be hands down the best place to buy movies and the prices were pretty much what things cost everywhere. But these days the video selection in most of their stores is pathetically small and if you want any kind of Criterion/Arrow poo poo it's going to cost you 40 bucks, even regular movies are 30+ dollars a lot of the time. The Providence Newbury Comics used to have a huge video selection that was multiple aisles and now it's one shittly little rack with a bunch of used copies of boring crap nobody wants with a Criterion disc here or there. The one near me had a big long aisle that was covered in movies on both sides and now their selection fills one shelf.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you're capable of playing region B blu-rays, you absolutely owe it to yourself to buy the Carl Th. Dreyer Collection. Three of the best films ever made and an underappreciated silent, all in pristine condition.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Which of you lucky so-and-sos wants Venture Bros. season 7?

7Z941BZ713K86GJ1

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CPL593H posted:

I totally understand where you're coming from because I would much rather buy poo poo in stores, the problem is those stores charge way more than you'd pay for these things online. Thought Fye despite its reputation did have a bunch of good sales on blu-rays that allowed me to get a lot of cool poo poo at below Amazon prices. But the one in my area went out of business and the rest are following pretty rapidly. Newbury Comics used to be hands down the best place to buy movies and the prices were pretty much what things cost everywhere. But these days the video selection in most of their stores is pathetically small and if you want any kind of Criterion/Arrow poo poo it's going to cost you 40 bucks, even regular movies are 30+ dollars a lot of the time. The Providence Newbury Comics used to have a huge video selection that was multiple aisles and now it's one shittly little rack with a bunch of used copies of boring crap nobody wants with a Criterion disc here or there. The one near me had a big long aisle that was covered in movies on both sides and now their selection fills one shelf.

Which one do you go to? The Warwick one still has a decently sized video section and I’ve actually found Arrows at reasonable prices there (I got the battles without honor set for $70 there). Granted a lot of them are way higher priced. Although I think I just let out my secret.

Let me know if you know of any other video stores near providence though would love to go.