Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TUS posted:

I haven't owned a Nintendo system since Super Nintendo until today. I bought me a Wii U and am pretty stoked. I played like 10 minutes of Mario Kart a week or so ago and fell in love with it and got that and Wonderful 101 with the Wind Waker HD bundle. Not really sure what other games are mandatory until Smash Bros, but Im open to suggestions.

Get Remix 2 if you were a fan of good NES games. Remix 1 is good too, but 2 is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

kalonZombie posted:

Pikmin 3 is also quite good from what I hear, but I have yet to play it myself.

Pikmin 3 is fantastic and is absolutely gorgeous, but it's not for everyone and I don't think I can consider it an absolute must have.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

JakeP posted:

Get Remix 2 if you were a fan of good NES games. Remix 1 is good too, but 2 is way better.

There's a retail bundle of both Remix games as a single game coming out sometime soon, isn't there? Might be the way to go if you're going to get one of them anyway.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I feel like, unless you're really committed to having physical copies of games, you should just get NES Remix 2 and be done with it. It really has a much better selection of games than 1. Plus, if you gotta have more, you can just go back to 1 afterward because the two games are pretty much functionally identical.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

noirstronaut posted:

I recently showed everyone in the 3DS thread a guy going ballistic on taiko and made everyone a convert to the greatest game series ever.

Thanks to your post I ordered the PS2 one. When it arrived I played a little before bed. Lady Marmalade then Dragonball Z. I went to sleep with a warm feeling, like maybe life isn't so bad after all.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Gutcruncher posted:

Thanks to your post I ordered the PS2 one. When it arrived I played a little before bed. Lady Marmalade then Dragonball Z. I went to sleep with a warm feeling, like maybe life isn't so bad after all.

Taiko is such a fun game that it makes me a little sad that some people haven't been able to experience it. It's truly one of the (if not the absolute) best rhythm game(s).

Also, I'm seeing that that Hori Taiko drum works on both the Wii and Wii U, so if i can import one for less than a ligament, I'll probably use it on my Wii instead of this Chinese knock off I got years ago.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kalonZombie posted:

Pikmin 3 is quite good.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Looks like the Taiko drum price is around $300 when converted from yen. So, import prices are just...probably gonna be a lot.

I am very sad right now.

http://www.hori.jp/products/wiiu/wii_taiko/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

How much you like NES Remix 1 totally depends on how much you played of the first run black box games. If you don't have any nostalgia for Baseball or Ice Climber or Pinball or Wrecking Crew its a way harder sell. Its easy to say Remix 2 is better because it has SMB3 and Kirby but as an overall package it appeals a lot less to me personally.

So you should just give Nintendo all your money and buy them both.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They've been teasing with that Zelda poster set in the "not available" column like forever now. Do those rewards always come back at some point or are they just being all "look what you missed have a kirby patch loser"

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

Pikmin 3 is absolutely amazing. I'd actually go so far as to say it's the best in the series.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Trent posted:

They've been teasing with that Zelda poster set in the "not available" column like forever now. Do those rewards always come back at some point or are they just being all "look what you missed have a kirby patch loser"

They rarely come back. Even when they do, it's so incredibly limited because everyone is losing their balls over something being available again and it sells out in negative time.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Trent posted:

Some rewards used to come back. Starting a few months ago anytime a physical reward runs out, they don't restock. They also haven't added any new ones to replace them.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

How much you like NES Remix 1 totally depends on how much you played of the first run black box games. If you don't have any nostalgia for Baseball or Ice Climber or Pinball or Wrecking Crew its a way harder sell. Its easy to say Remix 2 is better because it has SMB3 and Kirby but as an overall package it appeals a lot less to me personally.

So you should just give Nintendo all your money and buy them both.

Were you born in the 70s? I find it hard to believe someone feels this way about nintendo games unless they sort of grew out of games during the lifespan of the system. I had most of the remix 1 games growing up, as well as most of the games from remix 2, and I really have very little nostalgia when it comes to games like Golf, Baseball, or Pinball. Wrecking crew was one of my favorite games though, and I played the poo poo out of my DK/DKjr combo cartridge.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Bases Loaded was way better than Baseball

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JakeP posted:

Were you born in the 70s? I find it hard to believe someone feels this way about nintendo games unless they sort of grew out of games during the lifespan of the system. I had most of the remix 1 games growing up, as well as most of the games from remix 2, and I really have very little nostalgia when it comes to games like Golf, Baseball, or Pinball. Wrecking crew was one of my favorite games though, and I played the poo poo out of my DK/DKjr combo cartridge.
Nah, 87, I just grew up with a lot of hand-me-down NES games so I played some poo poo. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that regularass black box Baseball, Golf, or even Ice Climber were good games but the way Remix is structured its very good about focusing exclusively on the parts of those games that were cool and memorable. Like I never want to play 9 innings of Baseball or a full game of Ice Climber again, but I'll gladly hit home runs or try to grab the pterodactyl for 30 seconds. To me, the games in Remix 2 have a lot less of those moments. Also gently caress you RBI Baseball forever.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I wish they would have released more than just that PS2 game over here. Any music game that includes the Katamari March is a great game.

Hey, they technically also brought over Donkey Konga.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Seshoho Cian posted:

Hey, they technically also brought over Donkey Konga.

See, now I know why North Korea is the way it is. These kinds of thoughts are dangerous.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
NSMBU is really good and the challenge mode can get ridiculously hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd2T-QjRQPk

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Afro posted:

A lot of those videos are equally insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uH1nmYb-k

I swear they're just doing TAS runs.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Afro posted:

Am I wrong, or is there something fishy about him getting to 50 seconds even though the video is only 44 seconds long?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Mario timers are slightly faster than actual clocks.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Fremry posted:

Am I wrong, or is there something fishy about him getting to 50 seconds even though the video is only 44 seconds long?

The time seems slightly sped up. Maybe he played it in slow motion?

E: ^^^^^ Nevermind that explains it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

NSMB U owns and the people that dismiss it are retards.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

noirstronaut posted:

Taiko is such a fun game that it makes me a little sad that some people haven't been able to experience it. It's truly one of the (if not the absolute) best rhythm game(s).

Konami's Pop'n Music dwarfs Taiko. I'd probably put it around the top of my rhythm game list. I'm not sure it ever came to America, though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yeah goons love whining about NSMBU because it isn't the Second Coming or some poo poo but it's great fun.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 10, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah goons love whining about NSMBU because it isn't the Second Coming or some poo poo but it's great fun.

The level design and physics are really tight, for sure. Everything else about the games is lazy and basic.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bobnumerotres posted:

The level design and physics are really tight, for sure. Everything else about the games is lazy and basic.

Those are the important parts though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I dunno, I'm only a few worlds into NSMBU but I feel like a lot of the star coins are just hidden behind walls that aren't really walls joke's on you good luck finding them.

Then there was a ghost house where the entire gimmick was "hit a p switch and now you can go through some walls because it turns out they weren't really walls just bricks but also we're not going to tell you which walls you can go through now" and I honestly had to look up a guide just to get to the exit.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

The only reason people bitch about the newer NSMB games is that they've been using the same art style for the whole series so anyone seeing screenshots without playing it assumes it's a low effort sequel/expansion pack that was shat out by the devs in a month. Can't really blame them after years of other developers doing that exact thing. I guarantee you that if Nintendo used a different visual style and released the exact same game nobody would have bitched about it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The art style is passable but I think we can all agree that most of the music sucks.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I dunno, I'm only a few worlds into NSMBU but I feel like a lot of the star coins are just hidden behind walls that aren't really walls joke's on you good luck finding them.

Then there was a ghost house where the entire gimmick was "hit a p switch and now you can go through some walls because it turns out they weren't really walls just bricks but also we're not going to tell you which walls you can go through now" and I honestly had to look up a guide just to get to the exit.

Sounds like Super mario world Ghost houses.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I didn't like NSMBU that much, but then I don't like classic Mario games much. The only main series Mario games I really like are Galaxy 1/2 and 3D Land/World. I grew up with a Genesis instead of an (S)NES, though. I appreciate their level design and controls, and they're technically good games, just not my cup of tea.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

The art style is passable but I think we can all agree that most of the music sucks.

That part I can agree on. If it had a SM3DW-caliber soundtrack it would be amazing - that was half the reason 3D World kicked as much rear end as it did.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kaubocks posted:

This is what I dislike about NSMBU as well. The platforming is fine but finding the Star Coins is a nightmare because the hidden item placement is out of a Doom WAD from 1995.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
NSMBU just feels like it doesn't really step it up like sequels should, which is the problem with all the NSMB sequels really. The music is bland, the level design is just okay, the art is fine (admittedly a little better in NSMBU thant he previous games). It's good but not great. I wouldn't agree with people that say it sucks, but it's definitely forgettable.

That fact that it throws you to the world map every time you die and you have to jump back into the level is loving dumb though, and I tried playing NSMBU again after 3D World and Tropical Freeze and just couldn't because of that one thing.

So in conclusion, get Shovel Knight.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Macaluso posted:

NSMBU just feels like it doesn't really step it up like sequels should, which is the problem with all the NSMB sequels really. The music is bland, the level design is just okay, the art is fine (admittedly a little better in NSMBU thant he previous games). It's good but not great. I wouldn't agree with people that say it sucks, but it's definitely forgettable.

That fact that it throws you to the world map every time you die and you have to jump back into the level is loving dumb though, and I tried playing NSMBU again after 3D World and Tropical Freeze and just couldn't because of that one thing.

So in conclusion, get Shovel Knight.

Try dying less.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm in full belief that the New series only exists to please people who want a classic Mario sidescroller. In a perfect world, Nintendo would make a sidescroller like SMB 3 with All-Star sprites, but we don't always get what we want, do we.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

All the fuckery with going through screens and overworlds and such in Mario games each time you die is infuriating.

Learn from Rayman Origins/Legends, Nintendo. You have died- ZOOM back at level start. Hotline Miami also respawns you in a blink. I want that. Not 3D World's big red screen and TOK...TOK....TOK...TOK...Let's Go!

This seems really minor but Champion's Road :argh: and lives just add another extended loss screen so loving get rid of those since they don't do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bobnumerotres posted:

All the fuckery with going through screens and overworlds and such in Mario games each time you die is infuriating.

Learn from Rayman Origins/Legends, Nintendo. You have died- ZOOM back at level start. Hotline Miami also respawns you in a blink. I want that. Not 3D World's big red screen and TOK...TOK....TOK...TOK...Let's Go!

This seems really minor but Champion's Road :argh:

Uh clearly the appropriate comparison is Super Meat Boy. Splish! Your blood and guts still remain where you died, but other than that it's like a one-second downtime before you're back to the start.

• Locked thread