Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So if I never played an X game and I wanted to buy one, which would be the one to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Albion Prelude

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

So if I never played an X game and I wanted to buy one, which would be the one to get?

Albion Prelude (you might need Terran Conflict to play it though.)

Avoid Rebirth.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Anyone who doesn't have it should pick up Red Faction: Guerilla.

It's $4.
Every building can be taken apart piece by piece.
You're a Space rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rookersh posted:

Hey remember LEGO the Hobbit?

Remember how WB/TT said don't worry, it'd be episodic and they'd release the last half of it as a DLC? That the cliffhanger ending wasn't the real ending, they just couldn't put in the events of the last movie until the last movie was actually out, but everyone who bought the game would get it for free?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-plans-to-release-lego-the-hobbit-s-five-armies-/1100-6425900/

Yeah that ain't happening, LEGO the Hobbit will forever just be the first 2/3rds of the Hobbit book. gently caress you if you believed them when they said they'd actually finish it off in the future.

Regardless of what people think of the source material, this is really loving lovely of them.
Respect for Traveller's Tales has dropped considerably, doesn't help either that their support of past games has never been stellar, all of the DLC for LEGO Batman 3 is loving garbage.

I'm probably done buying LEGO games now, took me long enough to learn from my mistakes I suppose.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 14, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

Albion Prelude (you might need Terran Conflict to play it though.)

Avoid Rebirth.
So where does Reunion fit in? Sorry if I'm being annoying, but I've got this Freelancer itch I'd like to scratch and somehow managed to miss the existence of these games before.

Orv
May 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

So where does Reunion fit in? Sorry if I'm being annoying, but I've got this Freelancer itch I'd like to scratch and somehow managed to miss the existence of these games before.

Reunion was the first iteration of X3 and was bad bad not good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

anilEhilated posted:

It fits in as “the first game in generation 3”. :haw:
Every game since then (well… not including Rebirth) has taken the basic engine and improved on it in more or less massive ways.

If you mean story-wise, then it's a direct continuation from X², with a new alien threat entering the system and wreaking havoc. The main problem is that story isn't really the point to any of the X series after the first one. If you want a (semi)coherent narrative like the one in Freelancer, X³ might not scratch that particular itch — it is more all the bits inbetween (and after) the FL storyline, but blown up to immense size and scope.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

You can start as a trader, and then buy another freighter and automate it. It'll go around making money for you with no or rare input from you. Then you can buy more freighters. And more. Eventually you can build your own station to produce a resource or product that that part of the galaxy is low on. Then you can hook a bunch of stations up to each other to create a megacomplex that produces so many useful and needed things that NPCs start buying from you. If you're running a vanilla game then you can purchase and equip a giant fleet to kill all your competitors. If you're running mods you can just buy out entire star systems with your space billions.

Or you can start as some schmuck in a light fighter. Find a mission to protect a station from brigands, then force them to eject from their ships. Take your new ships and go to a shipping lane, steal a large freighter and turn it into a carrier. Get more ships and steal a marine ship. Use your marines to steal capital ships. Take your fleet and go fight species who don't like you for stealing their ships. Or fight the Kha'ak or Xenon, aliens and rogue AI with super advanced ships that pose a huge threat to the galaxy.

You can also install tons of mods that do anything from help you automate your trading fleet better, to completely change the balance of the game, or the factions and dynamics of the galaxy. X3 is the ultimate "make your own goals" sandbox.

Sounds really good. I'll pick it up, thanks guys!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Man, I'm disappointed in Deep Silver. Homefront is full of jingoistic racism.

It's almost like Deep Silver was never a good publisher.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, Co-Op only, no Multiplayer. No way I'm picking it up now. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
Anyone who buys X3 head by the thread if you find yourself lost. It's one of those super complex games that goons are really cool about helping newbies with.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
That Homefront sequel isn't coming out until 2016, not sure why it already has a Steam page.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deakul posted:

Regardless of what people think of the source material, this is really loving lovely of them.
Respect for Traveller's Tales has dropped considerably, doesn't help either that their support of past games has never been stellar, all of the DLC for LEGO Batman 3 is loving garbage.

I'm probably done buying LEGO games now, took me long enough to learn from my mistakes I suppose.

Yeah, it's less "a bloo bloo, how does an age old book series end." and more "The game has 5-15 levels less then any other LEGO game, and a much smaller world then any of the other open world LEGO games ( to the point it's barely the size of the Shire > Lothlorien in LEGO LOTR! ). According to WB/TT they would release the rest as free DLC when the third movie came out. They constantly talked about how the game they were releasing was incomplete, but they'd be finishing it up by the third movie for free, so don't mind paying the same price as a full fledged LEGO game. Whoops, never mind, this is all you get, it ends halfway through the book/movies because whatever gently caress you, we got our money."

Had they released this as The Hobbit Films 1/2, and never talked about Film 3 being added for free, it would be odd but not egregious. As is it's super lovely of them.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

PowerBeard posted:

Wait, Co-Op only, no Multiplayer. No way I'm picking it up now. :(

What's more it's made by ex-Star Citizen devs. Avoid.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Rirse posted:

I been able to play it on the couch just fine, but for some reason it has a launcher that even through it has a option to hide when you next play...it will appear each time regardless. And you have to use the mouse to get pass it.

Thanks for the answer, I can deal with that!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

What's more it's made by ex-Star Citizen devs. Avoid.

Wait, how do you become ex-devs to a game that hasn't released?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

PowerBeard posted:

Wait, how do you become ex-devs to a game that hasn't released?

It won't be released they will just keep taking money from suckers for as long as possible and never deliver.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Liquid Penguins posted:

It won't be released they will just keep taking money from suckers for as long as possible and never deliver.

Aren't people playing it right now? Or is that the other game that's exactly like it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's criminal that of all IPs Homefront keeps getting saved by publishers instead of something like Timesplitters.

Hell I'd be fine with Future Perfect just getting a PC port, but I think that project to do so fell through.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
lol @ goons getting mad over a red dawn game.

I played the original Homefront. It was a terrible game with a horrendous story, but not because it was racist or (haha) 'jingoist'.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Hold X to hide in Mass Grave.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mr. nobody posted:

Thanks for the answer, I can deal with that!

Oh the only other issue it has is the boneheaded lack of a exit game in-game, you have to alt tab and close it out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Liquid Penguins posted:

Hold X to hide in Mass Grave.

Honestly though, that's no worse than literally any other thing in videogame warshooters.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I will always love that Glorious Goonleader Kim Jong Un peacefully convinced South Korea to relinquish their independence to him due to his shining charisma.

Homefront is hilariously bad.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Drifter posted:

Honestly though, that's no worse than literally any other thing in videogame warshooters.

No, it's the worst.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

I will always love that Glorious Goonleader Kim Jong Un peacefully convinced South Korea to relinquish their independence to him due to his shining charisma.

South Korea nothing, he apparently managed to convince China.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Darkhold posted:

I asked about S7 earlier and two posters came forward to say it was boring trash regardless of the DRM.

That's a bummer, I was hoping it would be good. I can't seem to find a non early access broken "village building" game that isn't overtly complicated or confusing. I like building things and keeping people happy. Banished is shaping up, but a lot of the mechanics are kind of like "I don't know if this is broken or I'm just not using it right".

Orv
May 4, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

That's a bummer, I was hoping it would be good. I can't seem to find a non early access broken "village building" game that isn't overtly complicated or confusing. I like building things and keeping people happy. Banished is shaping up, but a lot of the mechanics are kind of like "I don't know if this is broken or I'm just not using it right".

Cities Skylines man. You set up your utilities, zone your RCI and then just tweak until you have to do that again.

Alternatively just hit up Impressions games again.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 14, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Iron Rose posted:

lol @ goons getting mad over a red dawn game.

I played the original Homefront. It was a terrible game with a horrendous story, but not because it was racist or (haha) 'jingoist'.
Lol @ u cause everyone is saying the same thing retard!!!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

Anno? That's basically how I played it, just set it to easy, turned off a bunch of annoying mechanics, built production chains and what eventually became a huge city.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Accordion Man posted:

Seriously, watch this story trailer, it's beyond even Tom Clancy levels of insanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeQWWKKvq4

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Press F to pay respects. :smuggo:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Slate Action posted:

Seriously, watch this story trailer, it's beyond even Tom Clancy levels of insanity:

The explanation for this is apparently the game was going to have China conquer the US (slightly more plausible), but the publisher decided they didn't want to offend a superpower, so they had them awkwardly rewrite it to be North Korea at the 11th hour.

Talking about Tom Clancy, the Infinity all-in-one basics packs the surprisingly good Ghost Recon: Phantoms are half off right now. Basically you get 8x XP gain, and levelling automatically gives you all the basic weapons, armor and modules for every class rather than requiring you to buy anything. It's roughly comparable to the 'unlock all basic characters' thing for Strife. You still need to use in-game money to buy mods and upgrades for your gear, but you'll also have more of that all round because you won't be spending anything on actually buying weapons and armor.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Homefront's multiplayer was pretty fun atleast.
Basically a sequel to Frontlines: Fuel of War.(which owned at the time)

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

AxeManiac posted:

That is the best way I've ever heard someone explain Banished. It may be early access but something about it just seems off. I do think it'll be worked out down the line, but right now there is something about the mechanics that just doesn't seem to work correctly. Great game other than that though.

I've been playing Skylines a bit and it really does feel like a great game too, though it seems just a bit more complicated than Sim City, and it sometimes throws me off a bit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Homefront's multiplayer was pretty fun atleast.
Basically a sequel to Frontlines: Fuel of War.(which owned at the time)

Frontlines was incredibly awful you crazy person.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

Frontlines was incredibly awful you crazy person.

Man, what.
I remembered having a ton of fun with a couple of buddies calling air strikes and artillery on dudes and using those little robots and wrecking poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Man, what.
I remembered having a ton of fun with a couple of buddies calling air strikes and artillery on dudes and using those little robots and wrecking poo poo.

The battle call-ins were awesome, nothing else about it was. Kind of exactly like Homefront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

AxeManiac posted:

I don't recall anything being broken in Banished though the death/birth cycles can be pretty close.* What are you having issues with?

*if you don't constantly build houses kids won't move out and have kids of their own so when the old folks finally start dying your next generation will be too old to have kids of their own. Also when you get to an entire generation starting to die of old age you can lose a huge part of your workforce in only a couple of years before the next generation gets old enough to work. It's a terrible mechanic but easy to work around once you understand what is going on.

Also as others have said Cities Skylines is a pretty solid Simcity type game if anyone is wanting a proper city builder. I got mine pretty cheap from Nuuvem though I had to use Hola or it wouldn't sell it to me in the UK. Code worked fine though in steam.

• Locked thread