Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/TunedAsTheDefaultPowerProfileManagementDaemon

please do not link to phoronix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:ohdear:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i thought phoronix had gotten better lately, it's the forum which is a cesspit still

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, phoronix is fine.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for some stuff it is just linkfarmy though, guy can't know everything about everything, but better to post the source in those cases.

the forums are a funny kind of old slashdot nerd rage too. read at own risk, but you're sure to get some vintage dumb takes.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The dude's not Problematic or anything as far as I am aware, but back when I actually looked at the posts on his site it consisted of ignorant shitflinging clickbait that often lead to exasperated blog posts with rightfully pissed-off clarifications from the people who actually do the work in whatever area Phoronix is "reporting" on. It's like the exact opposite of LWN, although LWN doesn't really report on what's going on in the open-source graphics driver world, which is what Phoronix focuses on.

But I haven't been back there since before COVID. I wouldn't be surprised if the community in that place is still being not-cultivated like poo poo.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

phoronix is fine if you just treat it as a daily project/mailing list activity summary

i've had things i've worked on end up on there and made the mistake of reading the forum comments though. i thought my brain was going to start leaking out of my ears from the sheer stupidity

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
yeah, the forums are REALLY bad.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nice

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I updated to nobara 40 (Fedora 40) a couple days ago, which promptly broke screen sleep and system suspend. the next day someone pushed a fix for the screen sleep issue, and yesterday someone pushed a fix for the suspend issue.

v happy about that :toot:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Phoronix is an okay digest of interesting stuff happening on mailing lists that are too high-volume for me to keep track of.

Do not enter the forums unless you really want to hate people.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Phoronix is an okay digest of interesting stuff happening on mailing lists that are too high-volume for me to keep track of.

Do not enter the forums unless you really want to hate people.

Excuse me but have you heard about INSecureBoot? I simply disable it because dealing with it is annoying, making it insecure. :smug:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

kde 6.1 introduced some horrible regression in the x11 version that makes fullscreen games flicker and let the desktop show through, had to revert kwin to 6.0.5 for the time being because I can't get a decent 4:3 resolution under wayland (which I need to play Descent in 320x200 with gamescope)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im missing something. wouldnt you make gamescope give you a 4:3 resolution and then you fullscreen that and you get the pillarboxes and stuff? why's your display's resolution factor in?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mycophobia posted:

im missing something. wouldnt you make gamescope give you a 4:3 resolution and then you fullscreen that and you get the pillarboxes and stuff? why's your display's resolution factor in?

The trick is that 320x200 is a 16:10 resolution that is stretched to 4:3, because crts could do that, so I have to run gamescope with -S stretch in a 4:3 resolution to make it authentic to dos

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i'm guessing you can't stretch it to an arbitrary resolution, it has to fill the screen?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mycophobia posted:

i'm guessing you can't stretch it to an arbitrary resolution, it has to fill the screen?

yeah, as far as I can tell. I have tried setting an output resolution but that doesn't seem to do anything

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i seem to remember that you could set up custom modes for wayland you just have to do it in like the grub boot options of all things

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mycophobia posted:

i seem to remember that you could set up custom modes for wayland you just have to do it in like the grub boot options of all things

so in other words you can't change it back to native when you're done playing your old man games

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
no i think it'll just add that mode to the ones that are already available? i could be wrong it's been a minute since i looked at all that

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mycophobia posted:

fullscreen wayland surfaces that don't cover the entire output area are supposed to be centered with the border area masked by the compositor. kde still doesn't do that for some reason

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

kde 6.1 introduced some horrible regression in the x11 version that makes fullscreen games flicker and let the desktop show through, had to revert kwin to 6.0.5 for the time being because I can't get a decent 4:3 resolution under wayland (which I need to play Descent in 320x200 with gamescope)

That is… a very specific scenario. have you filed a bug report?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it’s all over reddit since it came out, apparently most distros weren’t expecting it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I did hear that wayland is fantastic on it, I meant to update tonight since I know GE was working on it and Fedora had it merged in before arch

also gnome got a bunch of updates today, gnome 47 seems promising

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I did hear that wayland is fantastic on it, I meant to update tonight since I know GE was working on it and Fedora had it merged in before arch

also gnome got a bunch of updates today, gnome 47 seems promising

Gnome is garbage mainly because the developers are extremely toxic neckbeards

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I really like gnome

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You’re not allowed. :colbert:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Gnome is garbage mainly because the developers are extremely toxic neckbeards

they could be the most wonderful people in the world but it would still be a lovely tinkertoys interface

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
is gnome still doing the thing where everything has to be gigantic and chunky unless you want to resize a window, in which case you must click on the 1px border with perfect accuracy?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Soricidus posted:

is gnome still doing the thing where everything has to be gigantic and chunky unless you want to resize a window, in which case you must click on the 1px border with perfect accuracy?

what?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kde plasma 5.27.5 :clint:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

i believe this person would like to know if all UI elements in gnome are still huge, excepting the window border that is used for resizing, which is too small.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ah, thank you.

No

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

yeah I’ve not seen that at all lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i do remember the titlebars being huge to accommodate the new incredibly stupid trend of making the titlebar the toolbar

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, he's right, this is the peak era of for-touch design in gnome, where every element grew a bunch, but as managing windows is a legacy interaction it did not get a similar treatment.

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

You can only think of me.

Woolie Wool posted:

Is it just Descent? I played the Elden Ring DLC today and didn't notice any weirdness on kde 6.1 on Xorg. I got scared off wayland when I first installed linux cuz the screen flickered like crazy.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

repugnant posted:

Is it just Descent? I played the Elden Ring DLC today and didn't notice any weirdness on kde 6.1 on Xorg. I got scared off wayland when I first installed linux cuz the screen flickered like crazy.

Also had issues with Hexen II under Wine.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

my lovely visual novel port that released yesterday works great via steam proton. :dukedoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Branch Nvidian posted:

my lovely visual novel port that released yesterday works great via steam proton. :dukedoge:

is it a sensitive first-person duke nukem dating sim where he sincerely tries to find love now that those alien bastards have been dealt with