Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I probably should see Born on... though as I understand, that's more about coming back from war than the war itself (which isn't a bad thing).

You could say that war is not truly confined to the battlefield, nor actually ends when countries decide to stop sending men to get killed.

Either way it's time for you to Get Carter.

As for Madadayo it's a more than decent sentimental and humanistic film, but at some points it's quite clear that Kurosawa's best days are quite past him, especially visually. Though he still knocks it out of the park a couple of times, like the seasons montage with the professor and his wife and the final scene.
One thing did make an impression on me and it was the wife character. Kurosawa was never all that good with writing women, but in this one he doesn't even try. Despite having a big chunk of screen time, even if half of it is filling cups with booze, she doesn't get a name! In the credits she's "The Professor's Wife". To add insult to injury, all her pets die horribly in a fire, except one in which she begs her husband to safe, but then when his cat gets lost he goes all :qq: and doesn't even bother to take a bath. Poor woman. I honestly was expecting a dark turn at the end, where she poisons the old fool in his birthday party, and rages on all the guys who think the man was solid gold. It's not that much of a big deal, but it did stick out for some odd reason.

Now I've watched all of Akira Kurosawa's films, all 30 of them, keeping up with the thread's spirit, that's the most films of a single director that I actually saw! The second closest is Alfred Hithcock with 19. Have some rankings:

SHAME:

The Dead The last film John Huston made.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America Road trip!

The Man Who Knew Too Much Alfred Hitchcock remakes Alfred Hitchcock.

The Seven Year Itch The one with Marilyn Monroe and a subway grate.

Minority Report Never finished watching this one for some odd reason.

Smiles of a Summer Night A comedy by Ingmar Bergman?

Far From Heaven Todd Haynes and Julianne Moore team up to homage 1950's melodrama.

The Road goes ever on and on

Have watched so far 83 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes, The Wages of Fear, Rushmore, Short Cuts, Hannah and Her Sisters, Bringing out the Dead, All That Heaven Allows, The Hudsucker Proxy, Day for Night, Match Point, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Madadayo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

I probably should see Born on... though as I understand, that's more about coming back from war than the war itself (which isn't a bad thing). We Were Soldiers, though, seems too recent to be considered essential and doesn't really have universal acclaim that I'm aware of. I could be wrong about that, but I've never heard people rave about it that much. I don't think I've ever heard of the others.

Yea, Oliver Stone has said that it's more about the war back home after the war in Vietnam.

Hearts and Minds is documentary that has proven to be divisive (especially when first released). http://www.criterion.com/films/711-hearts-and-minds

We Were Soldiers brought up a few interesting domestic issues but I wouldn't call it essential at this point.

Hamburger Hill is mostly battle sequences: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_sei05KBp8 (scene is in czech language but it gives an idea of friendly fire and the tone).

Chili posted:

Voldemort not having a normal nose is in fact canon, he basically becomes more snakelike in his new carnation.

That makes sense. I do see a snake somewhat.

I wish Harry Potter had done a powerful Expecto Patronum on the fetus version of Voldemort.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I watched The Seventh Seal and boy, was it fantastic. All I knew going in was that there was a knight who was going to play chess with a scary dude on a beach, and since that was the first scene, everything from then on out was a revelation. The humor is what strikes me the most: it was extremely well done and added a lot of nuance to a movie that's already packed with ideas and themes. For that reason, you should check out Smiles of a Summer Night, Electronico6, and tell me whether the only reason I was laughing was because everything else in the movie was so relentlessly grim.

I also managed to watch 99 River Street which was a very good film. I'm not really the kind of person who loves plot twists just for the thrill of it, but this movie kept me guessing in a good way. Plus it had some good performances. And it did the whole "I coulda been a contender" thing about as well as other classics like On the Waterfront.

I picked a couple newer movies to add to the list rather than continuing the quasi-chronological theme:

M (1931) - Metropolis was pretty amazing and apparently this one is too.

City Lights (1931) - I watched The Gold Rush a few weeks ago and I couldn't stop laughing, so I imagine hitting Chaplin's classics is a good idea.

In a Lonely Place (1950) - It has Humphrey Bogart, right? So I should probably check it out.

Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

Seven Samurai (1954) - One of the many Kurosawa films I haven't seen, and one of the ones that everyone talks about.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - How can anyone know too much?! That's ridiculous.

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) - A classic. All I know about it is that it has a Mickey Rooney doing a racist portrayal of an Asian person.

The Exterminating Angel (1962) - Bunuel! All I've seen of his is The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeouise, and that was a lot of fun.

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - I understand that it's between this and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly when it comes to "best Spaghetti western." I enjoyed For a Few Dollars More the most out of the Man With No Name trilogy, so it would be nice to see if it can hold onto the title.

Goodfellas (1990) - I've seen the Godfather films but as far as gangster movies go that's about it. From what I hear, this is one of the greats.

Deshamed: The Seventh Seal (97), 99 River Street (87)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Zogo posted:

Yea, Oliver Stone has said that it's more about the war back home after the war in Vietnam.

Oh, that's by Stone, also? Maybe I should have put it in place of Platoon, and thought of it as a sequel.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

Oh, that's by Stone, also? Maybe I should have put it in place of Platoon, and thought of it as a sequel.

A few actors are in both as well. Tom Berenger plays a recruiting sergeant and Willem Dafoe is a bitter vet.

edit: there's also a third film film in his "trilogy" called Heaven & Earth (1993) but I haven't seen it yet.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 2, 2012

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

In a Lonely Place (1950) - It has Humphrey Bogart, right? So I should probably check it out.
Yes, you should.

La Dolce Vita is really an anthology film about the reporter Marcello's life. As the film goes on, Marcello, so loaded with ennui, sinks deeper and deeper until his head's around, oh, sea level by the very end. Each of the vignettes vary wildly in tone, from broad satire to wistfulness to sincere bleakness; thus, some segments just ultimately work better than others (Marcello hangin' out with his dad: cool, while the party of aristocrats is... not), though the film overall is borderline great and provides a compelling snapshot of Rome's celebrity culture in the early 60s.

All That Heaven Allows - I love what I've seen of Fassbinder, and he loved Sirk, so I wanna see what that's all about.

An Autumn Afternoon - I've burned through nearly all of the single Ozu releases, as well as the Silent and Late Ozu boxsets. Let's finish up what I have (until I inevitably buy that combo-pack of The Only Son/There Was a Father).

Cutter's Way - A critic I enjoy reading said this was his favorite film of the 80s. I probably won't agree with him, but it's obscurity intrigues me and hey, Jeff Bridges.

The Element of Crime - Early Trier, go go go.

The Leopard - Have never seen any Visconti.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Welles is always worth a watch, even if compromised.

The Thin Red Line - I'll have technically seen all of Malick's features once I see this.

Throne of Blood - Well, I really enjoy Ran, so on with the Shakespeare + Kurosawa.

Wild Strawberries - Let's see some more famous Bergman.

Wooden Crosses - I blind-bought the Bernard Eclipse set on the basis that this obscure French film about WWI was some kind of hidden gem. Now, I'll be motivated to see if this was true or not.

Shameless: Days of Heaven, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Sansho the Bailiff, Ikiru, L'Avventura, 3 Women, Ace in the Hole, Rashomon, My Dinner with André

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

a radii hike posted:

The Thin Red Line - I'll have technically seen all of Malick's features once I see this.

Might as well! It's breathtaking.

On the Waterfront is a solid tale of redemption and doing what's right in spite of what may be smart (in terms of survival). The acting is stellar all around but the iconic "contender" speech seems tacked on like it's reaching for extra prestige. It's the least subtle part of the movie...except for the score. Now I didn't find the score as distracting as some but it doesn't do the movie many favours. Malden's speech in the docks about right and wrong was one of the highlights.

LIST O SHAME

1) The Last Detail - Hated Being There, but I should give Ashby another shot.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Anatomy of a Murder - The poster, the cast, and yet I've only just heard of it.

4) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - Haven't seen this or the one from the 50s. Want to start with this one because I've seen the clip of Sutherland pointing and screaming too many times without seeing the source.

5) The Sweet Hereafter - Third time the charm with Egoyan? I didn't like Speaking Parts at all and I only mildly liked Felicia's Journey.

6) Carlos - Will likely watch this in segments...don't have five hours to kill too often.

7) Mystery Train - Only Jarmusch I haven't seen.

8) Grave of the Fireflies - Highest on IMDB top 250 I haven't seen.

9) Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages - Silent doc about witchcraft. Been meaning to see this for years.

10) Drunken Angel - More Kurosawa

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront(TOTAL: 76)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In a Lonely Place was amazing. It's going down as one of my favorite movies of all time. It flows effortlessly from non-stop witticisms to tense emotionally charged drama. Bogart's great, as is Gloria Grahame as the other lead. There's a fine line between depicting characters that are bad people and depicting characters that the audience hates so much that they end up alienated from what they're watching, and this film pulls it off perfectly. I'm not sure there's anyone in the film with more than a few lines that I like, but I cared about everything that happened. It's grim without being depressing and biting without being empty or glib. It's hard to believe All About Eve and Sunset Boulevard both came out along with this in 1950: if I had been in Hollywood that year, I would've just given up and found another job, because I'm not sure how anyone could imagine topping that trifecta.

Ratedargh: I'm surprised you found the "coulda been a contender" speech tacked on or stuck in there for "prestige." I was a little surprised when I watched On the Waterfront that the speech wasn't played up or put on a pedestal or anything, because of course it's so iconic. As it stands, though, it's just an effective bit of pathos that serves as the explanation (emotionally and just plain factually) for why he doesn't go along with his brother. Do you really think the speech was tacked on, and that the movie could've done without it? Because my impression was that, while it rightly became famous, it wasn't particularly jarring or unneeded or even notable. It was far from the most melodramatic part of the movie, and compared to any time the priest opens his mouth, I felt it was even a little understated or at least appropriately pitched.

The score was ridiculous though.

So in summation you should watch Grave of the Fireflies because then you'll feel sad.

1) M (1931) - Metropolis was pretty amazing and apparently this one is too.

2) City Lights (1931) - I watched The Gold Rush a few weeks ago and I couldn't stop laughing, so I imagine hitting Chaplin's classics is a good idea.

3) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

4) Seven Samurai (1954) - One of the many Kurosawa films I haven't seen, and one of the ones that everyone talks about.

5) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - How can anyone know too much?! That's ridiculous.

6) Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) - A classic. All I know about it is that it has a Mickey Rooney doing a racist portrayal of an Asian person.

7) The Exterminating Angel (1962) - Bunuel! All I've seen of his is The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeouise, and that was a lot of fun.

8) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - I understand that it's between this and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly when it comes to "best Spaghetti western." I enjoyed For a Few Dollars More the most out of the Man With No Name trilogy, so it would be nice to see if it can hold onto the title.

9) Goodfellas (1990) - I've seen the Godfather films but as far as gangster movies go that's about it. From what I hear, this is one of the greats.

10) Schindler's List (1993) - I'm always super suspicious about "moving" Holocaust movies: it seems like any time you're dealing with a topic that's so emotionally charged, there's no way your narrative is ever going to make me feel something I haven't already felt about the topic at hand. Plus, this is Spielberg, and although I like his stuff, I don't think I've really gotten into any of his movies, emotionally, since, uh, Jaws maybe? But then again I haven't seen Schindler's List so...

Deshamed: The Seventh Seal (97), 99 River Street (87), In a Lonely Place (98)

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Tycho, of course watching Chaplin is a good idea. Enjoy his best, City Lights.

The Wind That Shakes the Barley had several wonderful moments, and a few problems that holds it back from greatness. The great parts are the debates, as the decisions made during these will have a huge impact on the future of Ireland. Unfortunately, the characters aren't fleshed out well enough, and the emotional attachment is too one-sided. 4/5

Still Life
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. Don't know anything about it.
The Freshman
Only seen Safety Last! from Lloyd.
Cookie's Fortune
Another hidden Altman gem?
Raise The Red Lantern
I haven't seen too much Chinese cinema.
Killer of Sheep
Don't know anything about it.
All that Heaven Allows
Need to see this now after Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.
Greed
Next on TSPDT.
Sophie's Choice
Why is this on the AFI list?
Husbands
Haven't had a Cassavetes on here in a while. This will be my belated Gazzara memorial movie.
The Son's Room
Next Palme d'Or winner.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5, The Apostle 3.5/5, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives 3.5/5, Shane 3.5/5, The World of Apu 4.5/5, 3 Women 5/5, Do The Right Thing 5/5, A Short Film About Killing 3/5, Au Hasard Balthazar 4.5/5, Withnail & I 3.5/5, Le Trou 4.5/5, The Conformist 3.5/5, West Side Story 2.5/5, Titanic 3/5, Taste of Cherry 4/5, Underground 5/5, Life of Brian 2/5, La Haine 4.5/5, L'age d'Or 2.5/5, Kes 4.5/5, Cabaret 3/5, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul 4.5/5, The Mirror 4/5, Swing Time 2.5/5, A Man Escaped 4.5/5, Gandhi 3/5, The Wind That Shakes the Barley 4/5

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Modern Times - This was a pure joy to watch. I've never seen a Chaplin movie before. He was a very good physical comedian. Loved the song he sang at the end.

My List:
A Christmas Carol(1951) - This is the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge. I've heard it is as good as the George C. Scott version, which I liked.

Adaptation - Heard alot about this movie.

City Lights - Continuing the Chaplin movies.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Monty Python's The Life of Brian - Last Monty Python movie that I haven't seen..

Cars - This and Cars2 are the only Pixar movies that I haven't seen.

Red Beard - My next Kurosawa film.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

The Phantom of the Opera - Next in my monster movie queue.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times

TenSpadesBeTrump, haven't seen any on your list so it's time for random number generator. See The Freshman

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Ratedargh: I'm surprised you found the "coulda been a contender" speech tacked on or stuck in there for "prestige." I was a little surprised when I watched On the Waterfront that the speech wasn't played up or put on a pedestal or anything, because of course it's so iconic. As it stands, though, it's just an effective bit of pathos that serves as the explanation (emotionally and just plain factually) for why he doesn't go along with his brother. Do you really think the speech was tacked on, and that the movie could've done without it? Because my impression was that, while it rightly became famous, it wasn't particularly jarring or unneeded or even notable. It was far from the most melodramatic part of the movie, and compared to any time the priest opens his mouth, I felt it was even a little understated or at least appropriately pitched.

The score was ridiculous though.

I think the biggest problem is simply being too familiar with that one speech as opposed to knowing nothing about the rest of the movie (including the story itself...I always thought it was about a guy trying to regain his lost fighting glory while working the docks). You might be right about it being more subtle than I give it credit for and having slept on it (I wrote my review immediately after finishing) it doesn't strike me as out of place. It's a scene and a speech that would likely have reached its intended impact had I never seen it out of the context of the movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
City Lights was extremely funny when it was funny, and the romance was very well done. The final scene could not have been done better. I still prefer The Gold Rush, I think, because no amount of romance will ever make up for fewer jokes, but Chaplin is a master and when he tries to be funny, he succeeds in spades.

And even though it would be nice to have another opinion on City Lights, Dmitri Russkie, I'll go ahead and recommend Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid just like I recommended it a few days ago for Jurgan.

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Seven Samurai (1954) - One of the many Kurosawa films I haven't seen, and one of the ones that everyone talks about.

4) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - How can anyone know too much?! That's ridiculous.

5) Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) - A classic. All I know about it is that it has a Mickey Rooney doing a racist portrayal of an Asian person.

6) The Exterminating Angel (1962) - Bunuel! All I've seen of his is The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeouise, and that was a lot of fun.

7) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - I understand that it's between this and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly when it comes to "best Spaghetti western." I enjoyed For a Few Dollars More the most out of the Man With No Name trilogy, so it would be nice to see if it can hold onto the title.

8) Goodfellas (1990) - I've seen the Godfather films but as far as gangster movies go that's about it. From what I hear, this is one of the greats.

9) Slacker (1991) - I think someone posted somewhere here that Slacker is much better than American Graffiti. I'm having trouble imagining how a movie could be better than American Graffiti but Linklater's no dope, which makes Slacker one of those movies I've always wanted to get aroudn to watching.

10) Schindler's List (1993) - I'm always super suspicious about "moving" Holocaust movies: it seems like any time you're dealing with a topic that's so emotionally charged, there's no way your narrative is ever going to make me feel something I haven't already felt about the topic at hand. Plus, this is Spielberg, and although I like his stuff, I don't think I've really gotten into any of his movies, emotionally, since, uh, Jaws maybe? But then again I haven't seen Schindler's List so...

Deshamed: The Seventh Seal (97), 99 River Street (87), In a Lonely Place (98), City Lights (82)

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 4, 2012

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TychoCelchuuu posted:

8) Goodfellas (1990) - I've seen the Godfather films but as far as gangster movies go that's about it. From what I hear, this is one of the greats.
Oof, you've got a sexy list, and it pains me to only have to pick one, but this is one of many brilliant movies you can look forward to seeing. And by the way:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think someone posted somewhere here that Slacker is much better than American Graffiti.
I'm pretty sure it's Dazed and Confused someone would be talking about in that regard, but Slacker is still a good movie to see.

Harakiri (1962): Now that was a samurai movie, truly in the purest fashion. The plot, the suspense, and the thrills are so intertwined with the very concept of Bushido that it wouldn't work without it. This story only makes sense in Japan. It helps that it's also very smart about its subject, having its protagonist meticulously deconstruct the absurdity of their way of life, all the while still trapped in the system he reviles. The cinematography is of a rare quality, especially towards the end when the slow, contemplative duration of the film gives way to incredible sequences of action. Harakiri has definitely earned its reputation. 90/100

Also caught another one a while back:

The Man from Laramie (1955): Unconventional is the first word that comes to mind. First, I think this succeeds far better than the other Mann/Stewart Westerns I've seen because Lockhart is still a vengeful protagonist, but he also has a calm vulnerability that appears far more frequently than before and makes him a lot more interesting. The early Cinemascope panoramas of New Mexico are gorgeously vast. Another way it blazes trails is with its "villain," who even by the film's conclusion doesn't feel like the bad guy, even though he probably came to his proper end. It's a breath of fresh air to see a guy whose fate as the antagonist is out of his hands, as opposed to "I wear a black hat therefore we are enemies!" If I had any criticisms, the one that stands out would be that Donald Crisp sucked as the wealthy rancher. All in all, I think this is necessary viewing within the Western canon. 85/100

1. Three Colors: Blue: I've lollygagged around with these long enough.

2. The Color of Pomegranites: Not much of an idea of what to expect here, but a trusted friend of mine recommends it with the highest esteem.

3. Mulholland Dr.: Looks like I need some Lynch sprucin'.

4. Notorious: I may have seen this as a kid, but I remember nothing.

5. The Americanization of Emily: I want to get my Paddy on.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. L'Atalante: Bona-fide French classic.

8. La Dolce Vita: Sweet Christ, this is long.

9. Ordet: I loved Joan of Arc; more, please.

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain, Cries and Whispers, Grand Illusion, Gaslight, Aliens, Wild Strawberries, Scenes from a Marriage, M, Tokyo Story, Blue Velvet, Nashville, The Great Dictator, Forbidden Planet, Satantango, The Apartment, Shane, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, Harakiri

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Kull the Conqueror posted:

3. Mulholland Dr.: Looks like I need some Lynch sprucin'.

I'm glad I can tell someone to watch this awesome film.

Cries and Whispers is pretty much Anguish: The Movie. The way it shows how each character ended up so tormented is brilliant. And the use of color in the cinematography is phenomenal. The dominance of red, white and black over the entire screen effectively drowns you in the colors of life, pain and death. This just might be the Bergman film that I will remember most clearly years and years from now.

1920s: The Last Laugh - Murnau won me over with Sunrise, I look forward to seeing more of his movies.

1930s: King Kong - I've seen the very flawed Peter Jackson version, but not the original. Time to change that.

1940s: The Best Years of Our Lives - This sounds pretty interesting, I suppose.

1950s: Ugetsu - Sansho the Baliff was equally amazing and depressing, I hope I like this one just as much.

1960s: Viridiana - I loved The Exterminating Angel, so I'm looking forward to this.

1970s: Cries and Whispers McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Altman has been hit and miss to me so far (loved The Long Goodbye, thought that Gosford Park was decent, disliked MASH), so I want to give him another go.

1980s: Hannah and Her Sisters - Let's go with another Woody Allen movie.

1990s: Raise the Red Lantern - Sometimes I'll put a movie on here that I know nothing about. This is one of them.

2000s: The Pianist - Next on the IMDb top 250.

L'Atalante - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7, Children of Paradise 10, La Dolce Vita 4, The Deer Hunter 8, Ben-Hur 5, Magnolia 9, Rushmore 10, MASH 4, Spirited Away 8, The Cranes Are Flying 9, Monty Python and the Holy Grail 7, Sunrise 9, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 6, The Lives of Others 8, Casino 8, Naked 1, Glengarry Glen Ross 9, Rififi 8, It Happened One Night 6, Time of the Gypsies 9, Being John Malkovich 9, Army of Shadows 8, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? 10, Midnight Cowboy 8, Das Boot 10, Cries and Whispers 9 (Total: 125)

muuuzo
Apr 4, 2012
one title: PI.

Awesome movie about real hacker (not some dumb kid from chan who cant even program or build simple circuit), religion and making money. Who knows, maybe there is pattern, right in front of us...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

muuuzo posted:

one title: PI.

Awesome movie about real hacker (not some dumb kid from chan who cant even program or build simple circuit), religion and making money. Who knows, maybe there is pattern, right in front of us...
Hold on. You have to slow down. You're losing it. You have to take a breath. Listen to yourself. You're connecting a computer bug I had with a computer bug you might have had and some religious hogwash. You want to find the number 216 in the world, you will be able to find it everywhere. 216 steps from a mere street corner to your front door. 216 seconds you spend riding on the elevator. When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, you will filter everything else out and find that thing everywhere.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
oh gee well you know I've never seen rosemary's baby so I guess that's pretty shamefull

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Atheistdeals.com posted:

1940s: The Best Years of Our Lives - This sounds pretty interesting, I suppose.

Do this one.

High and Low - I think it ran a little long. It really felt like two movies to me (after they figured out who the kidnapper was). While I was watching it I was reminded of Dirty Harry for some reason. Some of the scenes hunting the kidnapper probably.

-The pink smoke coming through on an otherwise all B&W film was unexpected.
-I do wonder why they titled it "High and Low" and not "Heaven and Hell."

IMDb list:

#147 Warrior - MMA Drama doesn't look too appealing or enticing. I did follow the UFC casually when it was first created back in the 90s but then they started adding gloves and other rules and I lost interest quickly. 2/23/12

#245 Come and See - Something about WWII. 3/22/12

Three Colors: White - First film was a little depressing but the character of Julie really stood out. 3/29/12

new #267 Arsenic and Old Lace - Kind of a catchy title. 4/4/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1980 Ordinary People - Heard of it but haven't seen it. 2/1/12

1968 Oliver! - I'm a little familiar with the story. 2/7/12

1966 A Man for All Seasons - Know nothing about this one. 2/14/12

Procrastination list:

The Prowler - Heard this was an overlooked classic slasher film. Zito directed Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (which is my favorite of the series). The poster is :waycool: too. 2/15/12

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - Spielberg collaborates with Kubrick? 3/8/12

Alien³ - I've seen parts of this but not the whole thing. Alien is a masterpiece and Aliens will probably stand the test of time as well. 3/15/12

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Zogo posted:

new #267 Arsenic and Old Lace - Kind of a catchy title. 4/4/12

Delightful film. Enjoy!

Finished Rabbit Proof Fence earlier today and wow, that was a good movie. It's so sad that it's based on a true story. I'm American, so I have no idea about the race relations between Australians and Aborigines, but I'm shocked it was so awful. The things said in the movie and the policies shown were flabbergasting. I suppose it's not more awful than how we treated black people, I just didn't know it was bad at all. Anyhow, the movie was very good, if a bit slow. The timeline was a bit off (somehow they'd gone 800 miles without it really feeling like it. The last 400 miles of their journey seemed to last longer than the first 800).

My updated list:

1. Philadelphia Story - Another movie I have no idea about, but it keeps getting recommended in this thread.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. Tokyo Story. Another I know nothing about but it's been recommended and loved over and over in this thread.

5. Platoon. I get the feeling this is a wannabee Apocalypse Now. I hope it stands on it's own.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. The Bicycle Thief. Another movie I've never heard of until this thread. I hope it's as good as some have reported.

8. Duck Soup My dad actually showed me almost all of the Marx Bros films when I was about 7. I don't remember them too well, just that they were funny. I figure I need to revisit them, especially now that I can appreciate the razor wit.

9. Princess Mononoke. Anime lovers seem to really like this one. Not sure if it's a "greatest" movie, but it's on a lot of people's lists.

10. The Lives of Others. This looked interesting when I saw the previews when it first came out, but I've never gotten around to seeing it. I hope it really is as good as others make it out to be.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde; The Seventh Seal; Singing in the Rain; Barton Fink; Sunset Boulevard; The Gold Rush; The Deer Hunter; My Neighbor Totoro; The Crying Game; Unforgiven; La Dolce Vita; The Apartment; Rabbit Proof Fence

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Bodnoirbabe, enjoy Duck Soup.

The Conformist is nothing short of a visual masterpiece. Every single shot has something to marvel over: vibrant colors, expansive palette, graceful camera movement, perfect framing -- even the elegant sets and costumes. It manages to feel very French, mirroring the physical and philosophical passage between fascist Italy and France in the narrative. The story itself is complicated and layered, broken up and rearranged into an intelligent, unique whole that, when combined with the visuals, is an engaging, active watch.

Also saw La Notte, which I loved (though not as much as L'avventura), and Ninotchka, which was funny and sweet but more shallow than I expected.

List:

1. The Mirror - I enjoy Solaris and absolutely adore Stalker -- this is just as good, yes?

2. Andrei Rublev - The last of the TSPDT Top 50, double Tarkovsky! (I'm more excited for the Mirror...)

3. The Big Parade - Might as well keep putting up silents

4. Broken Blossoms - Time for more Griffith I think

5. Spirit of the Beehive - I've had a few false starts on this one, but it seems enjoyable

6. The Scarlet Empress - Let's see if Sternberg can retain my interest

7. A Matter of Life and Death - Powell and Pressburger shame

8. Crimes and Misdemeanors - Always in the mood for Woody Allen

9. Letter From an Unknown Woman - Enjoyed the other Ophüls I've seen, looking forward to more

10. Johnny Guitar - Guess I'll keep the westerns coming

Films I've Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4.5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 3.5/5; Almost Famous - 4.5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3.5/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 4.5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5; Léon: The Professional - 2.5/5; Sideways - 2.5/5; MASH - 4.5/5; The Philadelphia Story - 3.5/5; Three Colors: Blue - 5/5; Night and Fog - 3/5; Das Boot - 4/5; Three Colors: White - 4.5/5; Red River - 4.5/5; Le Samourai - 4/5; Fitzcarraldo - 4/5; Greed - 4/5; Sweet Smell of Success - 5/5; Stranger Than Paradise - 3/5; Top Hat - 3.5/5; McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 3/5; Dogville - 4.5/5; Badlands - 4/5; Rififi - 4.5/5; The Conformist - 4.5/5

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

PDMChubby posted:

8. Crimes and Misdemeanors - Always in the mood for Woody Allen

Woody Allen is good anytime.

Finished Duck Soup. It only has just over an hour run time, so that wasn't hard. Pretty funny! Definitely absurdist humor, but I found it charming. I especially loved during the war how Groucho's uniform kept changing from scene to scene. The Marx Brothers are even better once you understand the jokes.

My updated list:

1. Philadelphia Story - Another movie I have no idea about, but it keeps getting recommended in this thread.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. Tokyo Story. Another I know nothing about but it's been recommended and loved over and over in this thread.

5. Platoon. I get the feeling this is a wannabee Apocalypse Now. I hope it stands on it's own.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. The Bicycle Thief. Another movie I've never heard of until this thread. I hope it's as good as some have reported.

8. Cape Fear. What I know about this movie I learned from The Simpsons.

9. Princess Mononoke. Anime lovers seem to really like this one. Not sure if it's a "greatest" movie, but it's on a lot of people's lists.

10. The Lives of Others. This looked interesting when I saw the previews when it first came out, but I've never gotten around to seeing it. I hope it really is as good as others make it out to be.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It Happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde; The Seventh Seal; Singing in the Rain; Barton Fink; Sunset Boulevard; The Gold Rush; The Deer Hunter; My Neighbor Totoro; The Crying Game; Unforgiven; La Dolce Vita; The Apartment; Rabbit Proof Fence; Duck Soup

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 5, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Goodfellas was very good. I didn't really feel like it was a masterpiece or anything: I guess right now it's sitting between The Godfather and Scarface. All the period songs were nice, but I felt like it could've used some sort of score, and although the narration made a bit more sense at the end, I feel like maybe the movie could've done with a lot less of it. Still, those were some great performances, and some unforgettable lines.

Bodnoirbabe, go ahead and check out Mad Max. That's the first movie in what is vaguely a trilogy, and it's quite good. The sequel, The Road Warrior, is even better (one of the best action movies ever made), and the third movie's pretty good too, but definitely start with Mad Max and keep going if you at all enjoy it.

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Seven Samurai (1954) - One of the many Kurosawa films I haven't seen, and one of the ones that everyone talks about.

4) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - How can anyone know too much?! That's ridiculous.

5) Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) - A classic. All I know about it is that it has a Mickey Rooney doing a racist portrayal of an Asian person.

6) The Exterminating Angel (1962) - Bunuel! All I've seen of his is The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeouise, and that was a lot of fun.

7) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - I understand that it's between this and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly when it comes to "best Spaghetti western." I enjoyed For a Few Dollars More the most out of the Man With No Name trilogy, so it would be nice to see if it can hold onto the title.

8) Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Until I finally watched Apocalypse Now, I don't think I had seen any of the iconic 'Nam films. This one's next on the list.

9) Slacker (1991) - I think someone posted somewhere here that Slacker is much better than American Graffiti. I'm having trouble imagining how a movie could be better than American Graffiti but Linklater's no dope, which makes Slacker one of those movies I've always wanted to get aroudn to watching.

Deshamed: The Seventh Seal (97), 99 River Street (87), In a Lonely Place (98), City Lights (82), Goodfellas (87)

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Your list is full of greatness...this was no easy choice, but I'm hoping you love this.

I think the most accurate immediate description of Grave of the Fireflies is that it is an honest, emotionally devastating sledgehammer to the stomach. I've been affected by animated films and shows but it's usually paired with either a sense of humour or adventure to lighten the mood. Not so, here. People said it was sad...understatement. It's not fair. Seita was not equipped to look after Setsuko or himself. It's easy to say he should have started working or something but the constant derision directed at him from family made him more despondent and frustrated. Sadly, his pride and desire to look after Setsuko by himself was largely responsible for her passing. Great film.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Hated Being There, but I should give Ashby another shot.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Anatomy of a Murder - The poster, the cast, and yet I've only just heard of it.

4) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - Haven't seen this or the one from the 50s. Want to start with this one because I've seen the clip of Sutherland pointing and screaming too many times without seeing the source.

5) The Sweet Hereafter - Third time the charm with Egoyan? I didn't like Speaking Parts at all and I only mildly liked Felicia's Journey.

6) Carlos - Will likely watch this in segments...don't have five hours to kill too often.

7) Mystery Train - Only Jarmusch I haven't seen.

8) Rebecca - Highest on IMDB top 250 I haven't seen.

9) Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages - Silent doc about witchcraft. Been meaning to see this for years.

10) Drunken Angel - More Kurosawa

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies(TOTAL: 77)

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Ratedargh posted:

8) Rebecca - Highest on IMDB top 250 I haven't seen.

Haven't seen it myself, but go ahead and finish off that list.

Finished Mad Max and was that an entertaining watch. It was so campy but so good! I felt like that movie was exactly what all those B movies from the 1950's and 60's were trying to accomplish but never did. I could completely see this movie getting the MST3K treatment and I say that with much admiration.

And the score to the film was something else. So over the top and full of brass. It really punctuated the scenes.

I thought the movie was set in some post-apocalyptic world with no law and order. Was surprised to find that wasn't the case. Maybe that's more the sequels? Anyhow, liked the movie and surprised at how good it was.

My updated list:

2. North by Northwest. Time for another Hitchcock. Hope I enjoy this as much as I did Vertigo, if not more.

8. Cape Fear. What I know about this movie I learned from The Simpsons.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It Happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde; The Seventh Seal; Singing in the Rain; Barton Fink; Sunset Boulevard; The Gold Rush; The Deer Hunter; My Neighbor Totoro; The Crying Game; Unforgiven; La Dolce Vita; The Apartment; Rabbit Proof Fence; Duck Soup; Mad Max

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I thought the movie was set in some post-apocalyptic world with no law and order. Was surprised to find that wasn't the case. Maybe that's more the sequels? Anyhow, liked the movie and surprised at how good it was.

Yeah, that's in The Road Warrior, which is just as great. I had the same confusion the first time I saw it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Princess Mononoke is one of my favorite movies ever. Let the Captain Planets of the world know that this is how you do an environmental movie right.

Get Carter was a nasty little piece of work. We’re with Jack for the entire movie, and he’s impressively badass, yet never really sympathetic. There aren’t many people for us to sympathize with in this story, except for some of the women, mainly because they’re victims of exploitation. I could see a lot of feminist themes arising from an analysis of this movie. All the men are repulsive to varying degrees, and they’re all victims of their own making. Despite that, I found Jack interesting and complex- Caine’s performance was no doubt a big reason, but also the genuine love he showed for his family kept him from being completely one-dimensional. I also liked how a lot of the movie played without dialogue- it made it harder to keep up sometimes, but it was good to let the action do the talking. This is a rather straightforward movie about how crime doesn’t pay, but strong performances and good direction give it class and keep it interesting. Oh, and there's a surprising amount of sex and nudity.

P.S. One question about the ending: Who killed Jack? We didn’t see his face, but we saw a ring he was wearing. I’m guessing that was a callback to something earlier in the movie, but I must have missed it.

Rating: 3.5/4

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

28. Sophie's Choice- I really have no idea what this is, but I've seen it referenced a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I figure there must be a reason.

36. My Dinner with Andre- This stars Wallace Shawn. I liked the movie where he kidnapped princesses with Andre, but he died in that one... I assume this is a prequel?

42. The Pink Panther- Based on Dr. Strangelove alone I feel safe saying Peter Sellers is a genius. Yet somehow I've never gotten around to watching any of these.

43. 3 Women- My first Altman was pretty good, let's see some more.

44. Lethal Weapon- More 80's action. I imagine this is sort of like Die Hard, or maybe Die Hard 3 since it's a buddy cop movie. I don't really know anything about it, though.

45. Midnight Cowboy- When I take a movie off my list, I like to replace it with a similar one. So let's have another weird late sixties counterculture movie. Hope I'm not disappointed by this one.

46. Full Metal Jacket- I'm trying to figure out if I'm a fan of Kubrick. Dr. Strangelove is one of my favorite movies, but it was the first of his I saw, and none of the others have been as impressive. Still, this one is pretty significant culturally, and I can see R. Lee Ermey's tedious shtick back when it was still fresh.

47. Ikiru- Been too long without a Kurosawa. Let's fix that.

48. On the Waterfront- Someone earlier said either this or Streetcar Named Desire is essential to understanding Brando. Since I know at least some of Streetcar's plot, I'll choose the one I can go into blind- all I know about this movie is seeing DeNiro quote Brando's "coulda been a contender" speech in Raging Bull.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Watch Full Metal Jacket. Worth it alone for the excellent bootcamp scenes.

My list:
Up - I just hope this one's not as overrated as Wall-E.
Primer - I've heard tons of good stuff about it, but apparently you need to watch it multiple times to understand everything?
Toystory 3 - Didn't think TS1&2 were *that* good, but all the positive buzz about this one
still makes me want to check it out.
Citizen Kane - Not sure if the movie holds up nowadays or is just considered great for all its innovative, for that time, camera work.
(I know nothing about any of these except that they're considered great:)
Burn After Reading
Tokyo Story
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Paths of Glory

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Going into this blind is going to be a lot of fun.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Citizen Kane - Not sure if the movie holds up nowadays or is just considered great for all its innovative, for that time, camera work.

It holds up perfectly fine, just give it a chance to suck you in.

The Best Years of Our Lives - I really liked this for the most part. The story shows how hard veterans have it once they return home, and the movie presents it in a refreshingly frank manner. On the other hand, I didn't really find the romance between Fred and Peggy very interesting. And it takes up so much of the running time, too. But besides that one aspect, I think it's a great film.

And on another note, I noticed a couple of deep-focus shots that reminded me a lot of Citizen Kane. Then I looked at the credits and found out that Gregg Toland was cinematographer for both films. That's something I never would've noticed two years ago. It's nice that my dumb idiot brain is starting to pick up on these kind of details. Even if it's stuff that other people probably have no problem seeing easily.

I also knocked Hannah and Her Sisters off my list. It's the best Woody Allen film that I've seen so far. Every character is interesting, the dialogue is top-notch, and the way the plot weaves in and out of everyone's lives is very well done. I loved it!

1920s: The Last Laugh - Murnau won me over with Sunrise, I look forward to seeing more of his movies.

1930s: King Kong - I've seen the very flawed Peter Jackson version, but not the original. Time to change that.

1940s: The Best Years of Our Lives Fantasia - I watched all of the classic Disney movies when I was little, but I don't really remember this one at all.

1950s: Ugetsu - Sansho the Baliff was equally amazing and depressing, I hope I like this one just as much.

1960s: Viridiana - I loved The Exterminating Angel, so I'm looking forward to this.

1970s: McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Altman has been hit and miss to me so far (loved The Long Goodbye, thought that Gosford Park was decent, disliked MASH), so I want to give him another go.

1980s: Hannah and Her Sisters Cinema Paradiso - Highly regarded, but it doesn't look particularly interesting to me. I could be wrong about it though.

1990s: Raise the Red Lantern - Sometimes I'll put a movie on here that I know nothing about. This is one of them.

L'Atalante - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7, Children of Paradise 10, La Dolce Vita 4, The Deer Hunter 8, Ben-Hur 5, Magnolia 9, Rushmore 10, MASH 4, Spirited Away 8, The Cranes Are Flying 9, Monty Python and the Holy Grail 7, Sunrise 9, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 6, The Lives of Others 8, Casino 8, Naked 1, Glengarry Glen Ross 9, Rififi 8, It Happened One Night 6, Time of the Gypsies 9, Being John Malkovich 9, Army of Shadows 8, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? 10, Midnight Cowboy 8, Das Boot 10, Cries and Whispers 9, Hannah and Her Sisters 10, The Best Years of Our Lives 7 (Total: 127)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Another WWII film for you.

Arsenic and Old Lace - The whole movie is basically a farce based on a bunch of people all with different mental illnesses and problems. It reminded me of a cross between The Munsters and a Three Stooges short. My favorite scenes involved the guy who thinks he's Teddy Roosevelt for the entire film:

Jonathan Brewster: Teddy, I think it's time for you to go to bed.
Teddy Brewster: I beg your pardon. Who are you?
Jonathan Brewster: I'm Woodrow Wilson. Go to bed!

The more films I see Cary Grant in the less I like his general exasperated, SCREAMING, shrieking temperament. "His Girl Friday" is my least favorite film I've seen from this thread and his character in this film was similar to that one. I've read that Cary Grant had a troubled childhood and was an LSD user (very safe, but illegal drug). It seems to fit with his general derangement on-screen.

also watched:

Alien³ - I watched the assembly cut of this (30 minutes longer than theatrical cut and changed some of the plot). I'd call it satisfactory as it was easy to watch for its length but it was basically a retread of the first film with less memorable characters for the most part. Almost all the characters were crabby criminals that weren't very likeable. And their religion was even odder.

The alien itself looked silly in a few scenes (and that's never a good thing). Also, the Newt dissection scene was peculiar. I can't recall a character being rescued in a previous film only to be declared DOA in the next film and cut open like that. Why not cut Hicks open too?

There's a lot of plot points I could nitpick over that didn't make much sense but I don't feel like typing a whole page picking the film apart. All things considered it was adequate for being the third in the series but I don't feel like I'd need to see it again.

151 films seen now. 15 full lists :hfive:

IMDb list:

#147 Warrior - MMA Drama doesn't look too appealing or enticing. I did follow the UFC casually when it was first created back in the 90s but then they started adding gloves and other rules and I lost interest quickly. 2/23/12

#245 Come and See - Something about WWII. 3/22/12

Three Colors: White - First film was a little depressing but the character of Julie really stood out. 3/29/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1980 Ordinary People - Heard of it but haven't seen it. 2/1/12

1968 Oliver! - I'm a little familiar with the story. 2/7/12

1966 A Man for All Seasons - Know nothing about this one. 2/14/12

Procrastination list:

The Prowler - Heard this was an overlooked classic slasher film. Zito directed Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (which is my favorite of the series). The poster is :waycool: too. 2/15/12

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - Spielberg collaborates with Kubrick? 3/8/12

new Evil Dead II - I've seen the first and the third but missed this one. Some say this is the best of the trilogy. 4/9/12

new Monkey Shines - I remember walking into a video store and seeing the VHS cover for this film and being very intrigued. Of course I was too young to rent it and forgot about it until running across the trailer on youtube recently. 4/9/12

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Zogo, go see Evil Dead 2.

Full Metal Jacket struck me as a good movie, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. It was almost two different movies- the Parris Island section and the Vietnam section. Ermey’s performance is rightly celebrated. While I’ve gotten tired of him parodying that role in countless comedies, it worked here brilliantly. The insults out of his mouth were endlessly creative, and I really started to hate him while still finding him funny. Meanwhile, Leonard/Pyle was pathetic, and it seemed obvious he was not going to make it. His breakdown was eerily reminiscent of Eddie from Silent Hill 2. While I guessed what was going to happen, it was still shocking to see it. The whole thing was a great piece on the dehumanizing nature of the military, and the movie could have ended with the murder-suicide by Leonard and been submitted as a short film.

Then we cut to Vietnam itself and the movie changes gear dramatically. It’s a much more traditional film from here on in, and at first I was inclined to say it was a disappointment after the unusual character-oriented opening. The key, though, is Joker’s character arc. There’s a moment where he talks about the duality of man, caught between longing for peace and the desire to kill. Really, the whole movie plays out as this battle within his head. He starts off making fun of the drill sergeant, but is quickly beat into submission. He is the only friend Leonard has for a while, but eventually joins in Leonard’s abuse, and ultimately has to watch him commit suicide. When he gets to Vietnam, he starts off as a war journalist and wants to tell the truth, but is encouraged to present things optimistically or just make poo poo up for the sake of winning the war/ morale building. The longer it goes on, the more violence he gets involved in. In the end, he tries to help the sniper, but ends up being the one to kill her. Granted, it’s a mercy-kill, but it shows he’s embraced his killing side. The movie ends with them joyfully singing the Mickey Mouse club song and Joker’s voiceover (all of these Vietnam movies seem to have voiceovers) talking about how happy he was, ironically during the most bloody offensive of the war, the one which ultimately led to the U.S. withdrawal. Why the strange cheerful tone after all of that? And then, a couple hours later, I got it: Kubrick is using one of his favorite techniques, the unreliable narrator (see also: A Clockwork Orange). We’re supposed to see Joker as having given in to his dark side. The duality of man is over, and the killer won (notice that the Joker is a card that can go either way- it’s value isn’t decided until it’s declared). He treats it as a good thing, but we should see it as a failure of character. The marines and the war have sucked out his humanity and turned him into a killing machine, and he’s too far gone to care. The war is going to end bad starting now, but he doesn’t care about that either. He’s given up on peace, and has embraced killing. I expected a decent war movie, and I got a brilliant character study. His character holds the otherwise disjointed movie together, making every part absolutely essential. This may be Kubrick’s best.

Rating: 4/4

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

28. Sophie's Choice- I really have no idea what this is, but I've seen it referenced a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I figure there must be a reason.

36. My Dinner with Andre- This stars Wallace Shawn. I liked the movie where he kidnapped princesses with Andre, but he died in that one... I assume this is a prequel?

42. The Pink Panther- Based on Dr. Strangelove alone I feel safe saying Peter Sellers is a genius. Yet somehow I've never gotten around to watching any of these.

43. 3 Women- My first Altman was pretty good, let's see some more.

44. Lethal Weapon- More 80's action. I imagine this is sort of like Die Hard, or maybe Die Hard 3 since it's a buddy cop movie. I don't really know anything about it, though.

45. Midnight Cowboy- When I take a movie off my list, I like to replace it with a similar one. So let's have another weird late sixties counterculture movie. Hope I'm not disappointed by this one.

47. Ikiru- Been too long without a Kurosawa. Let's fix that.

48. On the Waterfront- Someone earlier said either this or Streetcar Named Desire is essential to understanding Brando. Since I know at least some of Streetcar's plot, I'll choose the one I can go into blind- all I know about this movie is seeing DeNiro quote Brando's "coulda been a contender" speech in Raging Bull.

49. Born on the Fourth of July- More for the "Vietnam slot." Like Vanilla Sky (which I liked), Cruise can't rely on his good looks here and has to act. I think he can pull it off.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 10, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Lost In Translation

A couple months ago I saw Somewhere and was bored-to-pleased. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it, probably because I'm not really a fan of most things that are Antonioniesque. "Translation" seemed at first to promise much of the same but quickly established a glorious emotional base on which it built layer after layer of meaning and concept and it's all going to sound very silly when I describe it but the film works it out in an ethereal, pensive way, like Antonioni by way of Ozu or something. Murray and Johansson give glorious performances, so naturalistic that it's hard to imagine the script they're working from (Murray's speech on the difficulties of life is a great example - in a more incompetent film it would be absurd and trite). There are also nuggets of comedy that come seemingly out of nowhere but don't seem out of place - they add to the light, spontaneous tone. And I don't care to know what he whispers at the end, because it doesn't matter.

10/10

shame shame shame shame has a has a has a kind of mystery

1) Faces - I'm afraid, John.

2) The Piano - An Angel At My Table and Sweetie are two wonderful movies but for some reason I've never ventured any further into Jane Campion's work.

3) L'Atalante - I honestly don't know anything about this but man, number 14 on TSPDT must mean something.

4) I Know Where I'm Going! - gently caress me, I've rented this like four times and for some reason I never watch it, which is retarded because I love Powell and Pressburger.

5) Safety Last! - That's probably not a great idea, I hope Harold Lloyd has insurance.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Andrei Rublev - I'm Russian, I like long stories.

8) Les Enfants du paradis - It's long and old and French and I hated Port of Shadows but gently caress it, bring on the poetic realism.

9) L'Avventura - I've only seen one Antonioni film and I didn't care for it, but here it is on the TSPDT list.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10, Seven Samurai 10/10, Rashomon 9/10, The Godfather: Part II 10/10, La Dolce Vita 10/10, The Princess Bride 9/10, Bringing Up Baby 7/10, City Lights 9/10, Baraka 7/10, Au revior les enfants 8/10, Bonnie And Clyde 6.5, Hiroshima mon amour 8/10, Lost In Translation 10/10 (total: 55)

Jurgan, after you watch My Dinner With Andre you should get the action figures, they're awesome.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

7) Andrei Rublev - I'm Russian, I like long stories.

Well good luck with that one.

I quite liked Smiles of a Summer Night, very fun and delightful sex comedy, with a wonderful set of characters and actors who just fit their roles perfectly. It's really light compared to the other Bergman stuff I've watched so far, but it still has a dark edge to it, so it's not just fluff. Don't have much more to say other than it was great!

SHAME:

Far From Heaven Todd Haynes and Julianne Moore team up to homage 1950's melodrama.

Nosferatu the Vampyre Concluding the Herzog-Kinski cycle.

Vivre Sa Vie Haven't been impressed for the very little I seen from Godard.

Close-Up This looks interesting.

Have watched so far 84 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes, The Wages of Fear, Rushmore, Short Cuts, Hannah and Her Sisters, Bringing out the Dead, All That Heaven Allows, The Hudsucker Proxy, Day for Night, Match Point, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Madadayo, Smiles of Summer Night.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Electronico, go with Herzog's Nosferatu, because that's going on my list soon.

The Freshman had a few laugh out loud moments, but most of the comic setpieces lasted too long and became tedious and obvious. The beginning worked better, when it didn't stay on one scene too long, but by the time it got to the party scene I was ready for it to be over. 3/5

Still Life
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. Don't know anything about it.
Cookie's Fortune
Another hidden Altman gem?
Raise The Red Lantern
I haven't seen too much Chinese cinema.
Killer of Sheep
Don't know anything about it.
All that Heaven Allows
Greed
Next on TSPDT.
Sophie's Choice
Why is this on the AFI list?
Husbands
Haven't had a Cassavetes on here in a while. This will be my belated Gazzara memorial movie.
The Son's Room
Next Palme d'Or winner.
A nos amours
The back of this DVD described Pialat as the French Cassavetes, which is okay with me.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5, The Apostle 3.5/5, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives 3.5/5, Shane 3.5/5, The World of Apu 4.5/5, 3 Women 5/5, Do The Right Thing 5/5, A Short Film About Killing 3/5, Au Hasard Balthazar 4.5/5, Withnail & I 3.5/5, Le Trou 4.5/5, The Conformist 3.5/5, West Side Story 2.5/5, Titanic 3/5, Taste of Cherry 4/5, Underground 5/5, Life of Brian 2/5, La Haine 4.5/5, L'age d'Or 2.5/5, Kes 4.5/5, Cabaret 3/5, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul 4.5/5, The Mirror 4/5, Swing Time 2.5/5, A Man Escaped 4.5/5, Gandhi 3/5, The Wind That Shakes the Barley 4/5, The Freshman 3/5

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

All that Heaven Allows

Pretty good stuff.

Werner Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre is better than Murnau's Nosferatu, better than the Dracula adaptations I've seen so far, and better than the actual novel it's based on! The first scene with all the mummified corpses pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the film, a prevailing creepy and morbid atmosphere, you never really feel safe even in the early scenes with just Jonathan and Lucy. Kinski delivers a terrific Dracula, creepy and scary, yet at the same time, you end up feeling a hint of sadness for his loneliness. His transitions from plain unsettling to horrific violent are also brilliant, it's all in the blink of an eye. Enjoyed the expanded role that NinaLucy gets here, she actually has an active role in the story and even takes a turn at vampire hunting, a proto-Buffy vibe going on in here. But even in the midst of all the grimness of the film, Herzog finds space to add some absurdity, especially the ending, which has a lot of dark humour. "He killed the Count!" "Yes, but I had a good reason!" There are a couple of dull scenes, but they didn't bother me all that much, in the end it's an excellent horror film.

SHAME:

Vivre Sa Vie Haven't been impressed for the very little I seen from Godard.

Close-Up This looks interesting.

Fallen Angels A spiritual sequel to Chungking Express, or so I'm told.

Have watched so far 85 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes, The Wages of Fear, Rushmore, Short Cuts, Hannah and Her Sisters, Bringing out the Dead, All That Heaven Allows, The Hudsucker Proxy, Day for Night, Match Point, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Madadayo, Smiles of Summer Night, Nosferatu the Vampyre

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Electronico6 go see The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Jurgan posted:

Full Metal Jacket[...]

Rating: 4/4

Nice.
Don't forget the song when the credits roll, Paint It Black.

Finally saw This Is Spinal Tap (last May :v:) and it was great. Laughs the whole way through, it's not on 11 the whole time but when it hits, it hurts.

1.Vertigo - Looking through this thread and thinking about it, I had seen Hitchcock movies on tv years ago on some classic movie channel. Loved them all but it seems I'd missed this one.
3.The Third Man - Parts of this have been spoiled too. Hope it's still good when I get around to watching it.
4.Solaris - Saw the remake, always wanted to but never got around to looking up the original.
5.Aguirre, Wrath of God - My dad actually recommended this one to me a long time ago. I should get around to
seeing it sometime before he dies or whatever.
6.Seven Samurai - Everyone in CineD says this is really good.
7.Eyes Wide Shut - Love Kubrick, think this is the only movie of his I haven't seen.
8.Anatomy of a Murder - Ratedargh* mentioned the cast and poster to this and I am intrigued as well.
9.Invasion of The Body Snatchers - Sutherland is pointing at me, why?
10.A Fistful of Dollars/For A Few Dollars More - Always loved 'The Good the Bad and the Ugly, never knew it was part of a trilogy till a year or two ago.

Watched: Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Taxi Driver.

edit: titles fixed

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 12, 2012

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Your titles are all kinds of hosed up. It's A Fistful of Dollars, Seven Samurai and Casablanca. Also Aguirre, Wrath of God. And For A Few Dollars More.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Fun movie, very quotable. Favorite line - Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch. Great scenery and the chemistry between Newman and Redford is great. Lots of fun.

My List:
A Christmas Carol(1951) - This is the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge. I've heard it is as good as the George C. Scott version, which I liked.

Adaptation - Heard alot about this movie.

City Lights - Continuing the Chaplin movies.

Cool Hand Luke - Lets see another Newman film.

Monty Python's The Life of Brian - Last Monty Python movie that I haven't seen..

Cars - This and Cars2 are the only Pixar movies that I haven't seen.

Red Beard - My next Kurosawa film.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

The Phantom of the Opera - Next in my monster movie queue.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

MariusLecter, the first movie I was recommended on this thread was Seven Samurai and it is still one of my favorites that I've seen in this thread. Watch it.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Dmitri: You get "Red Beard", it's one of my favorite Kurosawa films.

I watched "Some Like It Hot", and really liked it a lot. It was funny and entertaining, and just fun to watch. I went in knowing nothing, am came away surprised.

My new list:

1. Dial M for Murder: I'm a big Hitchcock fan, but never saw this one.

2. The Lives of Others:
I have never heard of it before, but it appears to have a high rating on IMDB.

3. Unforgiven:
I enjoy a good western, but never seen this one

4. City Lights:
More Chaplin

5. It Happened One Night:
More Frank Capra

6. Gandhi:
Never got around to it

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

8. The Deer Hunter:
Just never saw it

9. Ben Hur:
Another long epic I'm afraid of

10. The Wages of Fear:
I liked Diabolique, but know nothing about this.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke, 400 Blows, Lawrence of Arabia, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Network, The Great Dictator, The Elephant Man, To Kill a Mockingbird, Amadeus, The Big Sleep, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Killing, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, 8 1/2, Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist, All About Eve, The Apartment, Barry Lyndon, Spartacus, Hustler, Some Like It Hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

zandert33, watch Dial M for Murder, it's right up there in my top tier of Hitchcock movies.

From about an hour and a half in to two and a half hours in, I was getting the feeling that Inland Empire was my least favorite feature-length thing that David Lynch had done. It's pretty stiff competition, and there were a lot of things that had made it worth watching: the acting was top-notch, especially Laura Dern's Susan; without a great Susan it would have been a disaster, there's a great sense of claustrophobia established with pretty much all of the dialogue, and Lynch always connects when he attempts to establish primal terror. That being said, the return to the frame/surface/fantasy aspect in the last half hour was really powerful on some basic level for me, and it did wonders in bringing me back in. There were a lot of extended sequences that just kind of droned on and actually lessened the tension running through the middle, and that's something I'm really not used to with Lynch's stuff. If I had to rank it, I'd give it something around ~8.5/10 and feel like I simultaneously went too high and too low.

I knocked off a few other things from my list since I forgot about this thread for like half a year, but I want to add a review of Celine and Julie Go Boating. It was beautiful and insane and whimsical and I loved the movie for it, the sudden tonal shifts between segments leading up to the main plot kept me thoroughly off guard in where each scene was going to go, and in the second half the sudden blossoming into a mystery with a really powerful underlying sense of contingency ruled. Really glad that I saw this!

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I'm aware of the basic plot outline and feel like I already know R.P. McMurphy and Nurse Ratched despite never seeing a minute of the actual film. I guess because of that passing familiarity I never was motivated to actually watch it.

2. Raging Bull - Until I saw Taxi Driver, for some reason I got the two movies mixed up whenever one was referenced, like I thought Jake LaMotta would be saying "You talking to me?" into the mirror.

3. The Graduate - Pretty much the same story as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, the frequency that it's been referenced worked against any desire to actually watch it.

4. Gone with the Wind - I pretty much have to see this at some point, right? What I've heard about its length and racism have kind of turned me off from seeking it out, but I can't really be a movie guy and not have seen Gone with the Wind.

5. Bringing Up Baby - After Charade (plus Arsenic and Old Lace before my first list) I want to remedy the fact that I really haven't seen that many non-Hitchcock Cary Grant movies.

6. Three Colors: Red - I can't believe I forgot this for my first list, I absolutely loved Blue and thoroughly enjoyed White. I've heard that this is generally regarded as the best in the trilogy, and it has a lot to live up to with Blue.

7. Repulsion - I haven't seen very much Polanski, and I really enjoyed a bunch of things that I've heard have drawn heavily from this, like Sisters and Black Swan.

8. Nashville - My lists haven't had any musicals yet, and I think this is the most glaring omission from the musical catalogue I've got. I'm a sucker for big ensemble casts too.

9. Bottle Rocket - I was listening to Paul F. Tompkins' podcast a few weeks ago, and when Wes Anderson came up, PFT mentioned that he was worried about seeing Fantastic Mr. Fox because he had enjoyed all five of the Wes Anderson's other movies, but he ended up loving it. That made me realize that I had seen 5/6, and I've enjoyed everything he's done. With Moonrise Kingdom coming out, I might as well complete the catalogue.

10. The Magnificent Ambersons - My Ambersons are thoroughly lacking in magnificence. All About Eve left me wanting to see what else Anne Baxter could do, I was pretty blown away in how she overshadowed Bette Davis (at least to me). Something well known and directed by Orson Welles seems like a pretty sure shot.