Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, since feature unlocks like mounts, zone flying, and the battle chocobo companion are per character unlocks and not per job, leveling other classes/jobs becomes a lot easier since you have those QoL features available from the start; they're not disabled when you go under the original unlock points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Here's a very good point that's worth mentioning for new folks that haven't been around for an expansion launch:
https://twitter.com/Mcstronghuge/status/1455834846220242946?t=HJzpKbQLFQvMDEC6CDmOjw&s=19

Edit: A good follow-up:
https://twitter.com/Mcstronghuge/status/1455841957486501889?t=-kOlzsC6nKPKMsGKkvPO1g&s=19

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 3, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

edit better suited for the other thread

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hold up.

We can hunt trains?

What level do I need to get to for that. I need to punch some locomotives to death.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well there is a Stormblood raid boss that's a train.

Hunt train refers to just grouping up with a ton of others and running around zone to zone, server to server, killing the A and S rank hunts that spawn.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Stormblood’s 8-man raid series has one as a boss. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tempest_56 posted:

Hold up.

We can hunt trains?

What level do I need to get to for that. I need to punch some locomotives to death.

A Hunt Train is when everyone groups up to go kill rare mobs that give credit to everyone who helps hit them so may as well do it as a group. Fun if you like that sort of "do 2 minutes of repetition for an hour without pausing because nobody's going to wait for you to catch up at the next waypoint" thing (I've heard of trains that allow for load times and have a few minutes break in the middle if it's a long one, but they're unicorns from what I've experienced). If you've seen talk of A-rank and S-rank hunts, that's what people are talking about. Similar to the Hunt Marks from various folks in each expansion, give rewards along those lines, but don't require specific Hunt Bills to get credit.

If you're a newbie worried about stepping on toes for unwritten rules, people only really care about Shadowbringers and some Stormblood (I've soloed SB A-ranks and gotten grumbles at worst but some people are targeting those for one reason or another) ones train-wise, and at-level they're not something you're going to accidentally kill without knowing what they were. Since they all have spawn timers and a train will wait until a lot of them are up before forming people can get salty about that being interrupted. I've seen toxic slapfights over Heavensward S-ranks but that's just petty and if anyone gives abuse that "sorry I didn't know" doesn't solve, you are totally validated in reporting them. At 80 ARR and HW rares are so easily beaten that they're gonna be killed by somebody, and "there's a big-rear end dragon, I'm gonna hit it, anybody want in" is considered etiquette that's above and beyond.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I just remembered: what’s the level 80 Ishgard restoration stuff for, aside from skybuilder scrip?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Regalingualius posted:

I just remembered: what’s the level 80 Ishgard restoration stuff for, aside from skybuilder scrip?

Scrip and kupo of fortune scratchers. There's also titles related to "grind out X points worth of crafts", and I think only the level 80 crafts qualify.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Kupo of Fortune tickets, also the ranking events that were going on from 5.1 to 5.4 to get limited-time titles. Also, each crafter and gatherer job has a restoration score that is still attainable today, hitting 500k gives you an achievement and title. If you get all 11 you get the Pterodon mount but lol

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Now it's just scrip, but for a little bit there was a leaderboard that would reward titles if you got high enough.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There's a reason that Savage doesn't come out until a month after an expansion launch, they want people to be able to take their time.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
One of my biggest complaints about the expansions so far is the world feels void of other players right now when away from AAR zones or major cities. It’s understandable, most of this content is many years old but one of my favorite things about MMOs is running past other adventurers also doing content and I wish they’d do more to incentivize visiting these areas again. It’s one of my largest complaints about WoW as well (although I feel like it’s worse in that game due to how more restrictive travel is).

I was going to try and get caught up with the MSQ before the expansion drops so I can run with everyone else out the gate but I have another month left of road to 70 so I really should be benefiting from it as much as possible.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The ShB relic has you going all over HW and SB zones for FATEs and I still see tons of players still grinding away everywhere. You may not see them though since everyone just beelines from spot to spot with a flying mount.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I'm going to activate my first real sub today, does anyone have a recruitment code I could use?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

QW6DFV5T plz!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah if you're around fates or the wilderness quest hubs or any map with a beast tribe, you should see players. There's also gatherers out and about. And if you see any odd bodies of water on the map there's a good chance someone is filling out their fishing log there.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Regalingualius posted:

There's some cool transmogs like sleeveless t-shirt and workers suit.
Also an easy way to level your gatherers and crafters.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cyks posted:

One of my biggest complaints about the expansions so far is the world feels void of other players right now when away from AAR zones or major cities. It’s understandable, most of this content is many years old but one of my favorite things about MMOs is running past other adventurers also doing content and I wish they’d do more to incentivize visiting these areas again. It’s one of my largest complaints about WoW as well (although I feel like it’s worse in that game due to how more restrictive travel is).

I was going to try and get caught up with the MSQ before the expansion drops so I can run with everyone else out the gate but I have another month left of road to 70 so I really should be benefiting from it as much as possible.

Even with the influx of new players, there's a lot of old players that are waiting for Endwalker before they start playing again. Once that's out and people start coming back and finishing off the MSQ, these areas will see more action. They'll never be close to busy, but it'll be more common to come across someone than now.

Then EW's relic will become a thing after a while, and you'll see way more people in the relevant previous zones if they continue the trend of using old FATEs as an option.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

adhuin posted:

There's some cool transmogs like sleeveless t-shirt and workers suit.
Also an easy way to level your gatherers and crafters.

Oh, I know about the easy leveling.

It’s just that I’m 80 as every profession right now :v:

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a way to change crafting classes after crafting an item without closing the crafting window. It isn't a huge deal but it is a bit annoying to have to reset the window each time I need to change the class.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Is putting the gearset on your actionbar sufficient?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Spaseman posted:

Is there a way to change crafting classes after crafting an item without closing the crafting window. It isn't a huge deal but it is a bit annoying to have to reset the window each time I need to change the class.

Nope, sadly.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You can drag a recipe to your hotbar ahead of time if that makes it any more convenient. Pressing it will open to that recipe in one click.

Don't know if that helps but I don't think it's common knowledge.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Sunday Morning posted:

You can drag a recipe to your hotbar ahead of time if that makes it any more convenient. Pressing it will open to that recipe in one click.

Don't know if that helps but I don't think it's common knowledge.

That sounds cool but I can't think of many use cases for it...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's great if you're spamming exactly one recipe for the next eternity. Like, say, coffee biscuits.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

So I have two different HUD presets. One that I use for combat and general play, and one that has hotbars full of all my jobs. I created two macros, one to switch to each preset. So you can just click the macro then click the job you want, then macro back to the other preset.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

sweet geek swag posted:

So I have two different HUD presets. One that I use for combat and general play, and one that has hotbars full of all my jobs. I created two macros, one to switch to each preset. So you can just click the macro then click the job you want, then macro back to the other preset.

I do this too to switch between different HUD layouts for different combat jobs.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

It's great if you're spamming exactly one recipe for the next eternity. Like, say, coffee biscuits.

👀

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Speaking of leves, would I probably be safe to go into Endwalker with only 50ish? I’m assuming I’ll follow my usual pattern of clearing the x.0 MSQ over the course of a week or so before even touching anything with professions

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Unless you have a specific use for them like power grinding all your crafters to max level day 1, you'll be fine. If you did nothing but MSQ for a whole week, you'll regen 42 leves anyways.

We don't know what the Crystarium deliveries analogue will be like exp wise, or what Ishgard restoration exp will be for >80, so leves might not be that necessary for speedy levelling.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Unless you want to spend a lot of cash on materials or are going to take the time to gather them yourself it's not like having a bunch of leves stockpiled inherently gets you anywhere. I wouldn't sweat it.

I'll basically hit nodes as I explore the new zones so I can have my retainers get stuff for some initial crafts or easy leves/GC turnins but I'm not going for broke or anything.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there any way to just drag icons to/around a cross hotbar with your mouse? The controller-based editing sucks and I'm not sure I understand it at all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wdarkk posted:

Is there any way to just drag icons to/around a cross hotbar with your mouse? The controller-based editing sucks and I'm not sure I understand it at all.

Yes, but extended cross hotbars function kind of weirdly in that they're technically one of the other cross hotbar sets, so you have to switch to that set first to edit the extended cross hotbar.

If you don't want to bother plugging in a mouse though, I always just use the virtual mouse whenever I need to edit my cross hotbars in the rare instance I play on console.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

You should be able to drag into the cross hotbar with the mouse. The only thing to note is you have to swap specifically to that bar before you do so - if you want a skill on cross hotbar 2, swap to that bar then drag the skill.

Alternatively, swap to the bar, pull up the action menu, hit square/X (depending on controller type) to open the sub menu, then select Assign to Hotbar and then press the combo you want it to go to.

Once skills are on your bar you can swap their placement as you see fit. There's a shortcut to edit the bar that lets you either swap two hotbar slots, or delete skills/macros/items that are on there. Once you've done it a few times it tends to click.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arist posted:

Yes, but extended cross hotbars function kind of weirdly in that they're technically one of the other cross hotbar sets, so you have to switch to that set first to edit the extended cross hotbar.

Oh, that's what the problem was.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Is there a reason why people regularly get to the end of trials/dungeons and nobody LBs? I'm a healer main so I have almost never been in a situation where I've needed to LB but I'm regularly having to remind people to use it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pobrecito posted:

Is there a reason why people regularly get to the end of trials/dungeons and nobody LBs? I'm a healer main so I have almost never been in a situation where I've needed to LB but I'm regularly having to remind people to use it.

Either they get caught up in their rotation and forget about it, or they're worried about the social pressure of using it "incorrectly."

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Pobrecito posted:

ranged/casters lb-ing big pulls is so rare it's a guaranteed comm from me if i ever get one of those unicorns in my party

sadly what usually happens is i pop a heal/tank lb when the final boss hits 5%

but yeah, as dps it can be very easy to get tunnel vision and just forget about it. especially if you were waiting for the last bit of a bar to fill and then whoops looks like the boss is dead everyone gg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pobrecito posted:

DPS brain.

Just doing your rotation and not paying attention to the boss' HP or the LB bar.

This is why I have no shame about just using it as a ranged or magic DPS. gently caress it, I know that samurai isn't going to remember to hit the button. Also the dancer LB3 looks really cool.