Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Guess I am the first one to notice:

Fig posted:

We've lowered the minimum investment amount to $100. Fig Game Shares for The Good Life will be $100 per share!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mr Underhill posted:

Good to see this game do so well. Sad thing is, if this came from an unknown dev it would probably not even fund.

It's a game based entirely on writing. Is it really sad that people will give more money to a writer they know can write? It's not like this is some kind of never before seen super smart mechanics driven thing. It's just a book where you move cards into slots to unlock more pages.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DatonKallandor posted:

It's a game based entirely on writing. Is it really sad that people will give more money to a writer they know can write? It's not like this is some kind of never before seen super smart mechanics driven thing. It's just a book where you move cards into slots to unlock more pages.

No, it's more sad that an unknown writer with a cool pitch like this would not have anywhere near the marketing reach to do as well. Alexis is getting so much dosh precisely because he's so high-profile, and Failbetter Games also sent out an email letting people know about him.

Compare/contrast Alcyone, a work of interactive fiction that looks cool and has a demo and it still basically barely scraped by only thanks to RPS giving them an article. (Not to say that Alcyone is on the same level of writing quality or graphical quality, but you know that it's not about the skill here but the marketing reach instead.)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I am happy that years of creating, programming, and releasing games (often for free) have led to the reputation and connections which are helping Alexis's kickstarter.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hey I was in no way trying to say anything negative about the dude, all I'm saying is that unfortunately years and years of shovelware being mindlessly thrown onto Kickstarter led to people (justifiably) being more inclined to back well-known names. That, and the press really only reporting about Kickstarter mostly when a well-known author is involved (yeah, I know, exceptions are happening - especially on RPS ).

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

quote:

Kilobite has sent you a message about Confederate Express

Confederate Express Windows PC build is finally here!

This preview version 0.7.3 is limited to:
- 2 enemies (Zombie + Stalker)
- 3 replayable levels
- 4 powerful abilities

Thank you for your patience! We are eagerly awaiting for your feedback.

Your personalized download link is at the bottom of this email.
Enjoy!

So who wants to try this first?

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

sgbyou posted:

Recommended specs: Air-gapped virtual machine on a disposable PC

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

ninjewtsu posted:

the new unsung story devs put out an update. turns out they took the game because they were tired of making barbie games, and thought the game sounded like a rad idea.

apparently: matsuno's work is incomplete and they're having trouble contacting him. sakamoto apparently didn't make any music either, there some was trouble between him and playdek over the contract or something.

i wonder if matsuno's lack of completed work is him bailing once he saw that playdek was obviously a sinking ship

Matsuno is currently working for SE, helping them develop a raid for FF14 based on Ivalice, and given their development schedule he's probably too busy to respond.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Holy poo poo Sorn looks good. Wasn't this already out alread, or crowd-funded, or is it something different?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1777595379/scorn-part-1-of-2-dasein?ref=category_newest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gug_0mNhg4k

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
You're thinking of Inner Chains which looks identical in both artwork and gameplay and was terrible. Here's hoping Scorn is at least a little bit fun but I'm wary now.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
the artwork of Inner Chains is nowhere near being as good as Scorn's

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Might also be thinking of Agony, all three made an initial splash around the same time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo yeah I completely forgot Scorn and Agony were different things.

I'm just wary of a project with a "gameplay trailer" that consists of 95% slow pans through environments and not much else. That's exactly what Inner Chains did and looking at the Agony trailers it's the same there. It's like all three games are trying to hit the same notes with creepy art but then don't know how to actually make a game out of it. Inner Chains was a walking sim with no story that billed itself as a Painkiller-esque first person shooter and boy did it miss the mark.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll say this much; the actual feedback on the gun in that Scorn video look pretty good, which definitely sets it apart from Inner Chains.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 5, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Agreed, I just want to see more I guess.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Scorn at least doesn't make the mistake of calling itself a shooter.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I think I was thinking of Scorn, Agony AND Inner Chains at the same time.

Anyway, somewhat unrelated but I have to plug a friends' game here, I just have to. It's also a 1st person horror adventure but with a distinct Romanian / Orthodox theme. I've played it at Games com and I was blown away. Gameplay is no-shooty, just collecty, but holy poo poo all the graphics were made by one dude and they just blew me away while playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LHlTZW13Ik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na8XgNJ7IBg

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Underhill posted:

Holy poo poo Sorn looks good. Wasn't this already out alread, or crowd-funded, or is it something different?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1777595379/scorn-part-1-of-2-dasein?ref=category_newest

There's some great Geiger here and I like the Cronenberg gun but I'm worried the combat is gonna be poo poo like most atmospheric horror shooters.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sgbyou posted:

I like that the preview version is 0.7.3, indicating it's FAIRLY close to 1.0 (almost 3/4 of the way there) and they have 2 loving enemies and 4 loving abilities in there.

I mean it's all a scam anyway so the whole point is moot but I liked it anyway.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

I'm 90% sure some of that art is from a supposedly cancelled PS4 (I think) game. I remember seeing it on Neogaf ages ago and I don't think the game had a name back then.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Boom, outta nowhere, Cyanide & Happiness Adventure Game!

Yup, good games appearing on Kickstarter, summer's officially over.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr Underhill posted:

Hmmmm.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

wow i hate to be a negative nancy right out the gate but it's like everything i don't like about c&h and its brand of humor condensed into a single image

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

historical rts/base builder

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1238022363/neolithic-first-city-states-a-deep-historical-stra

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Looks interesting, I like AoE and Caesar so I tossed the guy :10bux:. For a one-man operation it's probably for the better that he didn't hit the stretch goals yet (and most likely won't hit more than one) but fishing would've been cool.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 5, 2017

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Well I've only ever seen the occasional webcomic post, so I can't really comment on the type of humor; it does look well put together, and the type of pretty high-visibility project that can indirectly benefit adventure games in general. E: holy smokes, trending toward $2,902,251 according to Kicktraq. Probably gonna be around $1.5 mil but still, dayum! Brb starting my webcomic

Oh yeah speaking of web comic based kickstarted adventure games, part I of the homestuck game is releasing in a few days, what, 5 years later?

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 6, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Looking at the trend when the project hasn't been live for 24 hours yet is, as you should well know, isn't exactly productive. Anyway, they're definitely reaching their goal in a day or two but I doubt they're gonna go much further than seven hundred-ish, like their earlier animated show collectathon. Also, their stretch goals are loving hilarious. "Hey, we got three mil for our boardgame, let's put the first stretch goal, some subtitles in three languages, at 500k, we'll crush that within 24 hours anyway!"

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I was basing my 1.5 mil estimate on the fact that if you go to their website you get auto-prompted to back their Kickstarter, and since they have a shitload of readers that might prove to be a very different trending graph than most Kickstarters (in fact, it's very idiotically and annoyingly implemented - every single time you move to another comic page it prompts you again, it's nuts). Who knows, really, but the IP is huuuge.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Basically Oatmeal fans have more money than taste, as the kittens game demonstrated. So, good for whoever gets to make the game they want, I guess! Probably won't be for me though.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
It looks like a Newgrounds adventure game and it's gonna make bank because lolrandom.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mr Underhill posted:

Boom, outta nowhere, Cyanide & Happiness Adventure Game!

no boobs physics 0/10

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

I was basing my 1.5 mil estimate on the fact that if you go to their website you get auto-prompted to back their Kickstarter, and since they have a shitload of readers that might prove to be a very different trending graph than most Kickstarters (in fact, it's very idiotically and annoyingly implemented - every single time you move to another comic page it prompts you again, it's nuts). Who knows, really, but the IP is huuuge.

Yeah, but they had other Kickstarters as well, a 700k animation.one and a 3,5m boardgame one and I bet they promoted the poo poo out of those as well. Boardgames get crazy money on Kickstarter still, videogames struggle and their current pace is okay but, judging by the stretch goals, not what they hoped for, so I bet it'll be closer to their ~700k result.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think C&H has funny writers, and less funny ones. So it would depend on who they got on board for this.

West of Loathing apparently turned out good, so who knows.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
What do you folks think of Fossil Hunters? From what I'm seeing it seems to be kinda like taking a Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley-ish game and concentrating on the mining aspect.

I like what I see, so I put a tenner on it. But can anyone spot any red flags possibly? Only one I noticed is no demo, though apparently they have been showing the game off in recent gaming events.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That and I assume Ubisoft vetted them at least somewhat.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Consentacle: A Card Game of Human-Alien Intimacy is the most adorable tentacle hentai boardgame you'll ever play. And the reviews are, somehow, good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The most, actually only upsetting thing about that is the Extremely Dan Clowes Face on the tentacle monster.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Don't Clowesshame.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

what the gently caress am I looking at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Paul Zuvella posted:

what the gently caress am I looking at

the future