Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I probably asked this before, but is the only difference between TR and Takara Legends the Targetmaster and some different coloring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Tighclops posted:

The fact that the dual cockpits aren't for titan masters is kind of a let down, especially when that other dude has nipple emplacements for them

Clearly they're for humans, and Titan Masters are larger than humans.

No Prize, plz

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

pubic works project posted:

I probably asked this before, but is the only difference between TR and Takara Legends the Targetmaster and some different coloring?

TheDK posted:

The titan master has more paint, the bot might have more or different paint as well. and the targetmaster.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

He's only a deluxe? Are you comparing the play pattern's implementation between deluxe and leader?

I just feel like there are two cockpits right there man, maybe it was something they looked at doing but couldn't implement in this size class. Don't get me wrong it's not a dealbreaker or anything. Like the rest of the line my complaints are basically minor quibbles or quality control issues at worst.

Keldroc posted:

Clearly they're for humans, and Titan Masters are larger than humans.

No Prize, plz

Well this is too delightfully simple to ignore, thank you

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Okay great. I'm torn between getting Takara Legends Misfire and Slugslinger, but I already got Triggerhappy in TR so I might just stick with that.

Plus I'm sure someone will sell the Targetmasters online separate. There's always weird poo poo like that on eBay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Okay great. I'm torn between getting Takara Legends Misfire and Slugslinger, but I already got Triggerhappy in TR so I might just stick with that.

Plus I'm sure someone will sell the Targetmasters online separate. There's always weird poo poo like that on eBay.
I just sold a shitload of GIJOE stuff to a dude and he apparently buys lots like that and then disassembles every single thing into the component pieces, like, unscrewing parts and stuff and selling the individual sections for repairs. Lot of effort but I imagine there's a decent market for it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Takara's Octane comes with a Ghost Starscream Titan Master.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh my god, it's a KO FT-10 Phoenix. This is hilarious.

Can someone explain the whole shitshow that lead to this?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

I went with Takara Misfire. I flipped back and forth but ultimately settled on Takara for <reasons>.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
Now that the nausea has subsided, I have some questions/thoughts about TF5. Mild spoilers, I guess.

Where did the lil' Dinobots come from?

Why was that girl introduced, when she doesn't do anything in the movie?

Where did Barricade go?

And if he was trying to hide out in the quarantined city, why was he driving around with his lights and sirens on all of the time?

When Marky Mark and the chick got into the submarine, the army guy says "They're in a Transformer", but there's no indication that it is a transformer.

Why is Galvatron now Megatron again?

Why did they waste time doing the Suicide Squad introductions of the Decepticons, just to kill them all off in the next scene?

If I took a drink every time Optimus says "I am Optimus Prime" or some variation of it, I'd be dead before the movie ended.

Holy poo poo, they called the Native American guy "Chief."

Bumblebee rips out his Siri voicebox after he gets it, then speaks like a radio throughout the movie. Until Optimus is about to kill him, he suddenly has his voice back. Then it goes away again. And then it comes back again.

Why was Optimus floating in space? Did he launch him self up into the sky at the end of the last one forgetting that he needs a ship to travel through space?

Why was the aspect ratio bouncing around from shot to shot?

Goddamn my head hurts again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the guy from Semisonic posted:

Where did Barricade go?

At this point, Barricade inexplicably vanishing only to reappear later is what I expect from the character.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Why was that girl introduced, when she doesn't do anything in the movie?

Force Awakens. Michael Bay saw Rey and BB-88 and wanted his own version of a young girl scavenging with her pet robot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
KOOS CW Breakdown is out! Just paid for it at Sirtoys!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So, if you're like me and missed out on the next boxset at BBTS, or if you're just impatient and have a lot of money to throw away on shipping, the Siege of Cybertron set is in stock at RoboToyBase. It's a legit site, it's from the people who used to run Chimungmung, if you've heard of them.

http://robotoybase.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3806

Now, time to recoup some of my shipping costs, since I really only wanted Optimus and Pounce, and maybe Tidal Wave, but now that I have him in hand I'm just not that big of a fan. Who wants:

Tidal Wave - $35
Metalhawk - $25
The Head Of Thunderwing - $5?

That's more that I'd normally charge for those size classes but I had to pay $50 for shipping from China, so I'm factoring that in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yiks, $50 for shipping? That's nuts. Also funny that they got them before BBTS.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Medullah posted:

Force Awakens. Michael Bay saw Rey and BB-88 and wanted his own version of a young girl scavenging with her pet robot.

Michael Bay saw how much the cartoons took from Star Wars (including reusing sound effects) so he pays tribute to what he sees as an essential part of the franchise.

I'm just amused it was 5 movies before he successfully made most people realize why they never heard of the 1986 movie.

I think Izabella was more part of Hasbro's push to appeal more to female audience, after two fan polls had fans choosing new female characters over male ones.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

So, if you're like me and missed out on the next boxset at BBTS, or if you're just impatient and have a lot of money to throw away on shipping, the Siege of Cybertron set is in stock at RoboToyBase. It's a legit site, it's from the people who used to run Chimungmung, if you've heard of them.

Now, time to recoup some of my shipping costs, since I really only wanted Optimus and Pounce, and maybe Tidal Wave, but now that I have him in hand I'm just not that big of a fan. Who wants:

Tidal Wave - $35
Metalhawk - $25

That's more that I'd normally charge for those size classes but I had to pay $50 for shipping from China, so I'm factoring that in.

I would pay $5 for the Head of Thunderwing.

Gonna get me a Nitro Zeus anyway...

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The ghost Starscream head makes me giggle way more than it probably should.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Knormal posted:

Tidal Wave - $35
Metalhawk - $25

Is Tidal Wave a Voyager-class? I'm going to sleep on it, but if no one snags him from you by Friday, I will.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would like for one of these deluxes to be a two-seater, although it only really gets me annoyed when it really seems there's enough space for two seats and the titanmaster just sits awkwardly in the middle like with the cars.

I think Hardhead's the closest you can get to a dude riding shotgun with the room for a seat in his gun. Also the Blurr sidecar.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Knormal posted:

Tidal Wave - $35
Metalhawk - $25

I'll take Metalhawk because of course I need two, shut up everyone else don't judge me!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Is Tidal Wave a Voyager-class? I'm going to sleep on it, but if no one snags him from you by Friday, I will.
Yep, he's a Broadside repaint.

Rainbowbeard and Cookie, PM me your address and I'll get back to you with a shipping quote.

Edit: I should add, the instructions for the five figures are split between two big sheets, so unless you really want the instructions the figures won't come with them.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 12, 2017

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Michael Bay saw how much the cartoons took from Star Wars (including reusing sound effects) so he pays tribute to what he sees as an essential part of the franchise.

I'm just amused it was 5 movies before he successfully made most people realize why they never heard of the 1986 movie.

I think Izabella was more part of Hasbro's push to appeal more to female audience, after two fan polls had fans choosing new female characters over male ones.

Nah. Hasbro may be pushing for a female audience but the character and Sqweeks are absolutely taken from Rey and BB-8. Michael Bay draws ideas from things that make a billion dollars, not the source material of his projects.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why was Optimus floating in space? Did he launch him self up into the sky at the end of the last one forgetting that he needs a ship to travel through space?

Hilariously the answer is yes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

Michael Bay draws ideas from things that make a billion dollars, not the source material of his projects.
I'm not sure how people can say this when all of the Transformers movies are littered with references to Transformers "lore" from start to finish, with many major plot points being cribbed straight from the cartoons and elsewhere.

Like yeah the movies diverge from the source material, but I'm very confident they were conscious choices, not because Michael Bay was ignorant of the source material.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Blackheart posted:

Hilariously the answer is yes.

I laughed for like 5 minutes straight when I saw that scene in the trailer.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Uh, cripes. Would that result in the largest Superion yet? Was never quite sure of the scale of the other 3p efforts.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not sure how people can say this when all of the Transformers movies are littered with references to Transformers "lore" from start to finish, with many major plot points being cribbed straight from the cartoons and elsewhere.

Like yeah the movies diverge from the source material, but I'm very confident they were conscious choices, not because Michael Bay was ignorant of the source material.

Bay's not the one putting those in there, I guarantee he doesn't care or know what they are. But I can absolutely believe him telling the writers to put a girl and a robot in a junkyard in there like in that Star Wars movie that made two billion dollars. Maybe the girl's age is a Hasbro request but they're there because of Rey and BB-8, no doubt.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm still not sure why including a character in the tradition of Rey and BB-8 is a bad thing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm still not sure why including a character in the tradition of Rey and BB-8 is a bad thing.

Adding any character "just because" is a recipe for a bad thing, seems pretty straightforward.

From what it sounds like, there's no reason for them to be in there other than "Star Wars had a girl and her robot so we want one too" except in Star Wars the girl at the very least was the whole point of the film so you couldn't NOT have her character in there, otherwise there's no movie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

She was also more enjoyable than the woman they introduced to play off Cade, so if anything, the movie needed more of her. Hell, make her Merlin's descendant and drop giving Mark Wahlberg a love interest completely. Vivian's introduction partly results in the plot grinding to a plot anyway, but no one ever suggests writing her out and consolidating with other characters.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I think we're forgetting that adding human characters to Transformers films is always bad and (controversial opinion) Rey is a huge Mary Sue.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

SpazmasterX posted:

I think we're forgetting that adding human characters to Transformers films is always bad and (controversial opinion) Rey is a huge Mary Sue.

Max Landis' account spotted

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Well gosh, it's a while since I turned a page in a comic and actually gasped but hey ho, well done Optimus Prime #9. And nice to see Zama's nods to G2 'swipe aka the best 'swipe.

The backup/preview Rom strip might have a surprisingly interesting premise as well, I'm inclined to check it out now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

Bay's not the one putting those in there, I guarantee he doesn't care or know what they are.
That's the thing, I'm not sure I believe that, not when he's dedicated more than a decade of his finite time on this planet to this franchise.

poo poo, wasn't Bay basically the one writing Revenge of the Fallen (uncredited), courtesy of the Writer's Guild strike?

TFRazorsaw posted:

She was also more enjoyable than the woman they introduced to play off Cade, so if anything, the movie needed more of her. Hell, make her Merlin's descendant and drop giving Mark Wahlberg a love interest completely. Vivian's introduction partly results in the plot grinding to a plot anyway, but no one ever suggests writing her out and consolidating with other characters.

While I did like Vivian and thought she played well off of Cade as the movie went on, your idea is pretty great and definitely the way they should have done it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hasbro do have a great deal of creative control on the cartoons and comics. If they can make Buzzsaw shoot down Omega Supreme, they can tell the movie writers to add a teenage action girl and her BB8 robot. Especially when you remember Hasbro also made Rey and BB8 toys.

Of course Izabela is kinda similar to Mikaela, Michael Bay's avatar in the first two movies.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Xenomrph posted:

That's the thing, I'm not sure I believe that, not when he's dedicated more than a decade of his finite time on this planet to this franchise.

He dedicated his time because he gets paid a lot of money. That's all there is to it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

I laughed for like 5 minutes straight when I saw that scene in the trailer.

He literally died on they way to his home planet.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I got my HA Soundwave out to play with and drat I still love it so much. Kinda makes me wanna get the Movie the Best version, it looks so freakin' sweet all in silver.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

EthanSteele posted:

He dedicated his time because he gets paid a lot of money. That's all there is to it.

Yeah but that doesn't mean he doesn't give a poo poo, or he just does things "just cuz". None of the Transformers movies have felt in any way "phoned in" from a directorial standpoint, to me. You look at any of the behind the scenes materials or interviews about Bay on the set, and he's right there with the actors giving them instructions, framing shots, etc. it's not like he's just sitting in the director's chair all day and letting the second unit director do all the work while he just reviews the dailies and lets it all get fixed in post.

People like to poo poo on Michael Bay a lot, and I get a lot of why, but I've found that my enjoyment of the Transformers movies (and Bay's work in general) has risen immensely when I step back and look at the movies framed around Bay's strengths, and just don't let the weaknesses get to me.
Yeah the continuity from movie to movie (or even scene to scene) is shaky, but so was the G1 cartoon. And when taking the movies on a scene by scene basis, and taking the movies as more of an emotional and visual spectacle rather than a logical narrative, they're freaking great.

And in the grand scheme of cinema, there's really nothing like them - and a lot of that draws from the source material. The movies consistently treat the Transformers as aliens first, and robots second. The series is about humanity reacting to an alien invasion, and as the series goes on it's got an interesting and largely pragmatic reaction to what's happening, and I dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oh my god I just got around to reading Salvation. Trypticon at the end is the best. :3: