Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

But Wakanda can simply give people cancer treatments for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Arivia posted:

How do you weaponize a cure for cancer? “Stand down or we’ll bomb your country and your citizens will be healthier???”

Too much cure can also hurt someone.

Hell, there's an X-Men character, Elixir, whose power is straight up healing virtually anything.

Back in House of M, he worked as a torturer.
I can't remember exactly how, but basically he'd overheal you so much that it would put a bunch of extra strain and hurt on your body because it was trying to repair damage that wasn't there.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Like a penis that’s too big

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

More like oldpeenless.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

goons love putting way more thought into dumb plot devices than the creators of said plot devices do.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
That's just a nerd thing. Things like wakanda aren't written to be perfectly consistent and realistic, they're written to tell a specific kind of story within the general backdrop of a mostly similar world.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

oldpainless posted:

None of here would know.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Arivia posted:

How do you weaponize a cure for cancer? “Stand down or we’ll bomb your country and your citizens will be healthier???”

I think the government tried to use it to assassinate Deadpool once, since basically his whole body is cancer

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

That's just a nerd thing. Things like wakanda aren't written to be perfectly consistent and realistic, they're written to tell a specific kind of story within the general backdrop of a mostly similar world.

It becomes an issue when you're doing multiple long-running series that are supposed to make sense with each other. It's really cool for a while, but eventually you get to a point where no individual story can actually have consequences because it might mess up the other ones. Or you just raise the stakes with multiple worlds and universes until nobody but the biggest nerds can possibly understand or care anymore.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah. Although generally Wakanda and T'Challa are meant to be heroic, as is Reed even if they have leaned a fair bit at times into the realization he's a POS - much like Xavier. But the real reason at the end of the day is always the simple fact that if Wakanda or Reed - or Pym, or Stark, or lots of others - behaved in a consistent manner befitting their morals then the Earth of the Marvel Universe would bear almost no resemblance to ours.

Like, hell, Stark's had completely safe and clean energy for decades. If nothing else the Marvel Universe should be one where climate change is a solved problem.

It's just part of suspension of disbelief. You just have to ignore the fact there's at least half a dozen people who could single-handedly make the world orders of magnitude better than it is, because if they did so the entire setting would fall apart and no longer resemble our world.

EDIT:

I mean yeah, that's my point. But also why it's somewhat hard to analyze the film when it is dealing with Wakanda and the morality of some of its actions. It's a bit difficult to say where the line can or should be drawn between "this is a failure of the writer's politics" and "this is a necessary compromise because if Wakanda did the right thing then the setting would no longer remotely resemble IRL"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's just part of suspension of disbelief. You just have to ignore the fact there's at least half a dozen people who could single-handedly make the world orders of magnitude better than it is, because if they did so the entire setting would fall apart and no longer resemble our world.

I don't think anyone needs to suspend disbelief for this part of your post :smith:

Anyway, someone made a point about how having to actually deal with continuity makes a comic franchise hideously complicated to the extent that only hypernerds can follow it, which is exactly why I'm not a comic book or superhero guy. These are all soap operas that have mostly been running since before I was born, who has the time for that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

But also why it's somewhat hard to analyze the film when it is dealing with Wakanda and the morality of some of its actions. It's a bit difficult to say where the line can or should be drawn between "this is a failure of the writer's politics" and "this is a necessary compromise because if Wakanda did the right thing then the setting would no longer remotely resemble IRL"
That compromise is only necessary because of decisions made by the writers though. They created the setting and all the elements of it that must be ignored in order to pretend it makes sense. It's still bad writing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There is a big difference between bad writing and a story that isn't fully realistic. I'm not saying comics are good or bad writing, I never really got into them, but writing isn't about perfectly creating an alternate reality any more than painting is. There is both art and literature that cleave closely to reality and diverge significantly from it, and neither is good or bad because of that aspect of it.

edit: I'm using realistic wrong here, I mean coherent with the premises present in its fantastical aspects, there's a better word for it but my brain is being dumb.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The "Wakanda has been witholding the cure for cancer, heroically" story was written by Reginald Hudlin lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

There is a big difference between bad writing and a story that isn't fully realistic. I'm not saying comics are good or bad writing, I never really got into them, but writing isn't about perfectly creating an alternate reality any more than painting is. There is both art and literature that cleave closely to reality and diverge significantly from it, and neither is good or bad because of that aspect of it.

edit: I'm using realistic wrong here, I mean coherent with the premises present in its fantastical aspects, there's a better word for it but my brain is being dumb.

I agree with you in the broad strokes because it's cool when a long series has its own mythos about its characters. However I do think that some things in a story ought to be backed up with justification at the time they're pesented. For a Marvel example, Tony Stark went evil once and did a diabetes industry metaphor by turning his pharma company into a subscription service. That's something justified by his character's means when it happens: He could always have done that, but wouldn't under normal circumstances. Then he got evil chromes on his suit.

edit: evil being chromed out however is realistic.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:18 on May 13, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I agree with you in the broad strokes because it's cool when a long series has its own mythos about its characters. However I do think that some things in a story ought to be backed up with justification at the time they're pesented. For a Marvel example, Tony Stark went evil once and did a diabetes industry metaphor by turning his pharma company into a subscription service. That's something justified by his character's means when it happens: He could always have done that, but wouldn't under normal circumstances. Then he got evil chromes on his suit.

Sure, 100%, I'm just saying writing is not 'good' or 'bad' based on whether they've properly gone back and completely analyzed the changes that will happen in history because in this story Churchill was right handed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeahhh there's no need to feel obligated to elaborate on how different but real your world is, it can bog down some works for sure. Dark Tower comes to mind.

edit: Oh but for us the readers I agree, getting into the weeds about that is for Mass Effect wiki editors

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:21 on May 13, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In the Marvel movies I believe Obama lost the 2012 election because aliens destroyed New York. I don’t think the new president was named. Is that right?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I AM GRANDO posted:

In the Marvel movies I believe Obama lost the 2012 election because aliens destroyed New York. I don’t think the new president was named. Is that right?

He was named Ellis in Iron Man 3.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I AM GRANDO posted:

If Iron Man 3 is what we're going by, the president after that was President Ellis, played by William Sadler.

If we're to assume he had two terms, his second term fell during the blip, so who the gently caress knows what happened with US government/elections in 2020 (two years after the blip/snap.)

I guess even if he only had one term (personally, I'd find it hard to vote for a man who's VP was intent on mass-scale terrorism and political assassinations) whoever was elected in 2016 would have had their presidency impacted by the snap.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Part of the fundamental issue with Wakanda is that status quo - or in this case something like it - is God in most of these settings. Superhero comics are, generally speaking, set in more-or-less our real life world just with the addition of superheroes and some things. Unlike most speculative fiction, they don't really generally spend too much time or energy exploring how wildly society would change as a result of this fact - Watchmen and suchlike being obvious exceptions. It's part of the reason why Reed Richards is a dick.

Doctor Doom and Latveria don't represent a problem because, yeah, Doom is an rear end in a top hat. Of course he's not going to share his technology with the world. But Reed Richards is a man who could cure AIDS in his lunchbreak. It's arguably the Euthyphro Dilemma/Problem of Evil, kinda. That AIDS and many other diseases still exist in the Marvel universe is simply because Reed Richards has deliberately chosen to allow them to exist. Reed Richards is a dick.

And the same is true of Wakanda, although arguably on a grander scale. Wakanda hoards its technology. Wakanda refuses to exercise its considerable power and influence for large-scale good. Etc, etc. Because if Reed Richards or Wakanda were to act in a moral way consistent with their supposed values, the setting would change so wildly as to no longer resemble the world we live in. Like the moment you start to really examine the consequences of Reed Richards or Wakanda, is the moment your setting stops being 'IRL but with superheroes' and becomes full on high tech utopia.
The same is true for Harry Potter and probably "urban fantasy" in general. Actual change would not just destroy the status quo of the wizarding world but also that of 1990s Britain, destroying the conceit that there is a magical world of adventure hidden in the interstices of post-imperial Britain that one can project oneself into.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 16:14 on May 13, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's interesting that also, when you have the What-If or alternate realities or whatever where the resident supergeniuses/trillionaires of the franchise DO come together to create a post-scarcity utopia, it almost always ends in them going full fascist totalitarian 1984 state and actually people having everything they need and never needing to fear disease actually sucks and makes everyone miserable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dresden Files comes to mind as among a lot of settings where at least healing magic specifically is shown to be really, really hard, and few wizards even attempt it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
stepping down from greater world/game changing geo politics of various super hero stuff down into something slightly more on the person level, it always annoyed me that every one is a omni jack of all supa scientist, but they just happen to have a favorite field/subject/area. like I think someone posted an rear end in a top hat Reed page of him going "well i could study your field for a few days and do it myself, but im busy doing real work."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PhazonLink posted:

stepping down from greater world/game changing geo politics of various super hero stuff down into something slightly more on the person level, it always annoyed me that every one is a omni jack of all supa scientist, but they just happen to have a favorite field/subject/area. like I think someone posted an rear end in a top hat Reed page of him going "well i could study your field for a few days and do it myself, but im busy doing real work."

Ah, the famous "you're the most brilliant expert in your field, it would take me at least three weeks to get to your level" page. Pity your own field wasn't rocket science, motherfucker, you might have put proper radiation shielding on your ship and not hosed up yourself and your mates.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Ah, the famous "you're the most brilliant expert in your field, it would take me at least three weeks to get to your level" page. Pity your own field wasn't rocket science, motherfucker, you might have put proper radiation shielding on your ship and not hosed up yourself and your mates.

What does Reed care, he got a bitchin' superpower out of it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

"Aliens destroyed New York, black president's fault"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

EDIT:

I mean yeah, that's my point. But also why it's somewhat hard to analyze the film when it is dealing with Wakanda and the morality of some of its actions. It's a bit difficult to say where the line can or should be drawn between "this is a failure of the writer's politics" and "this is a necessary compromise because if Wakanda did the right thing then the setting would no longer remotely resemble IRL"
Yeah but the first Iron Man movie is a film about a techbro realising his actions have consequences. Just because you didn't pull the trigger doesn't mean you don't have blood on your hands. You have to go through a few steps to get to "Why is climate change still a thing?"

The first Black Panther film is explicitly about changing the world and the best way to do it, and the movie very clearly states what you're supposed to agree the correct answer is. Like if Iron Man ended with Tony Stark turning to the camera and announcing "And so I will bring clean energy to the world... but slowly over the course of several decades because I don't want to negatively impact the oil futures market and the US coal industry.".

Splicer has a new favorite as of 21:15 on May 13, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Didn't the first Iron Man movie at least try to handwave the arc reactor as being ridiculously expensive for how much power it could produce at a time, and also needing a fairly expensive metal as the fuel source?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Randalor posted:

Didn't the first Iron Man movie at least try to handwave the arc reactor as being ridiculously expensive for how much power it could produce at a time, and also needing a fairly expensive metal as the fuel source?

quote:

Tony Stark: I think we should take another look into arc reactor technology.

Obadiah Stane: Ah, come on. The arc reactor, that's a publicity stunt! Tony, come on. We built that thing to shut the hippies up.

Tony Stark: It works.

Obadiah Stane: Yeah, as a science project. The arc was never cost effective. We knew that before we built it. Arc reactor technology, that's a dead end, right?

Tony Stark: Maybe.

Obadiah Stane: Huh? Am I right? We haven't had a breakthrough in that in what? Thirty years.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
This is all making me realize that the best way to target Spider-Man isn't by revealing his secret identity, but just publishing the formula for web fluid online. It's a simple enough recipe that a college kid can bulk manufacture it in his bedroom. Let's democratize this poo poo. I have shelves to mount and an adhesive that only lasts an hour would be great for keeping everything in position just long enough to get the screws in.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah web fluid is one hell of a non lethal weapon until you see cops using it to choke people out at will or to shove people into water or the million other possible lethal applications it has.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

well, IRL our main cures for cancer include (A) knives, (B) poison, and (C) ionizing radiation (or, more often, some combination thereof), so it seems pretty plausible that whatever they've come up with could also be a weapon.

You’re right, a “gamma knife” does sound like something you’d use to kill the Hulk, that’s fair.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Mad Hamish posted:

Anyway, someone made a point about how having to actually deal with continuity makes a comic franchise hideously complicated to the extent that only hypernerds can follow it, which is exactly why I'm not a comic book or superhero guy. These are all soap operas that have mostly been running since before I was born, who has the time for that?
This is like the biggest misconception about comics. The past doesn't matter at all until it does. I started reading X-Men in ~2008. You think I started reading at the 1960s beginning? The relaunch with Wolverine and Storm et al? The early 90s relaunch? gently caress no, I started at the beginning of the 2005 story "House of M" in which the world's gone fuckin' wacky because of magic, and I recognized like 10% of the characters. Unless the writer for whatever you're reading is bad, you pick things up quickly, from context and on-page explanations.
I'm not trying to evangelize about comics or anything, I'm just saying I hear all the time that people are intimidated by the previous body of work when you really can just ignore it. So you miss a few references, who cares?

Also one of our own (haven't seen him post in a while but I just assume he is busy as all gently caress) is writing both Moon Knight and Avengers right now (and Doctor Strange?) and is about to start a run on X-Men, in which the status quo of the last few years has been swept away (by editorial). Good time to jump in.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Nameless Pete posted:

This is all making me realize that the best way to target Spider-Man isn't by revealing his secret identity, but just publishing the formula for web fluid online. It's a simple enough recipe that a college kid can bulk manufacture it in his bedroom. Let's democratize this poo poo. I have shelves to mount and an adhesive that only lasts an hour would be great for keeping everything in position just long enough to get the screws in.

this was a big thing in the Amazing Spider-Man movies, Oscorp had already created the adhesive and was selling it so all Peter had to do was design his webshooters. This just made me realise that, for all the hate ASM got for rehashing Uncle Ben's death (and that was the low point of the movie, they completely botched that), they never made mention of the fact that the adhesive dissolves. They just left that as a given that anyone who knows Spider-Man anything probably knows that the adhesive only has a 1 hour lifespan

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dresden Files comes to mind as among a lot of settings where at least healing magic specifically is shown to be really, really hard, and few wizards even attempt it.

I liked how they did it in the Eragon books where you could just cast Cure Wounds and that'd be fine for simple injuries, but if you actually learn anatomy and medical science then you can use the magic much more effectively and manage poo poo like reattaching limbs or repairing internal injuries.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh thats another thing i dont like about supa science hero stories, they turn up the Great (singular, individual) Man Theory up and way way pass 10/10. like the Ironman 1 has the meme line about a box of scraps in a cave. like yeah dude real life material science and metallurgy is that. or Ironman 2 and a basement sized particle accelerator, sure.

like real life super science is collaborate effort with giant machines that take so long to build that you have two or more generations of scientists over looking projects, machines cross border lines, but comics "lol ironman invented a new alloy because his heart feefees motivated him, or he invented a new element because his daddy issues sobered him up for a few hours"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tony Stark kinda balances it out by half his creations and projects going horribly wrong and turning against him. See also Hank Pym, whose shtick he stole for the MCU.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Did any other marvel science mans make a council of clones of themselves , except the clones have a flaw to highlight the superiority of the original? like clone Reeds that cant suck themseleves off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The Authority is the most honest comic book.