Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Today I decided never to have sex again.

Don't worry, if you pay them $5 more, they'll ignore your cartoon artwork.

But I'm wondering why you shag art critiques anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
No, the right order is air, metal, flash, quick, wood, bubble, heat, crash.

:colbert:

Air and Metal blades are the most useful robot powers in the game. Get them asap and cheese the gently caress out of the game with metal blades. Also, Rush Jet through Wood Man and Heat Man stage. :colbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Himuro posted:

Also, Rush Jet through Wood Man and Heat Man stage. :colbert:

It's Item 2, not Rush Jet you scrub. :colbert:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

TaurusOxford posted:

It's Item 2, not Rush Jet you scrub. :colbert:

I stand corrected.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Also, he wasn't talking about the order you fight them. It's the order they lay on the menu.

You have to use reading to solve those problems. :colbert:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I stand by my boss order. :colbert:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Awesome collection!

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 4, 2012

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
e: that is awesome

Himuro posted:

No, the right order is air, metal, flash, quick, wood, bubble, heat, crash.

I was doing the order as they appear on the boss screen. The correct order if you're a MAN about it is heat, quick, wood, flash, bubble, crash, air, metal: pea shooter only.

e: sorry, I lied, the really manly way to play it is just to play rockman no constancy or deus ex machina.

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 25, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I always did Bubble Man first, but then again, I know fuckall about Mega Man 2.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Metal Man or Flash Man first worked for me.

I replayed the series a few years back, and (to me at least) Mega Man 2 was way easier than Mega Man 3. I was able to figure out patterns in 2, whereas 3 seemed to have too much randomness and it made things more difficult. Of course, as a grade schooler I got through them all. Shameful.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I remember getting through Heat Man's stage with item 2. Felt good.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I usually tackle Metal Man or Wood Man first.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I normally go metal man -> finish the game

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

blackguy32 posted:

I always did Bubble Man first, but then again, I know fuckall about Mega Man 2.

Bubble Man's such a joke it doesn't matter when you take him out.

Generally I always did Metal Man first, but eventually warmed up to the idea of Air Man to start.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Metal Blade is such an awesome weapon there really isn't any reason to not do Metal Man first.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
RE: Zero 4 and how the whole plot was understated, I think that a lot of the handheld, later-era Megaman games (Zero, BN) could really, and I mean reaaaaaaaaaaaaally, benefit from proper localization.

Obviously you wouldn't need to touch too much in games like Z4, where you'd only need to change a few lines to really knock home the right emphasis, but then you have the Battle Network games, 4 and 5 in particular.

Seriously. "Me and my Dad come together." - Megaman Battle Network 5 :v: And that's a complete sentence; there's plenty of other lines that just flat out make 0 sense.

Kind of a separate point, but specifically talking more about Battle Network 5 Double Team, I really have a love/hate relationship with that game. On one hand, you have a few gorgeous details, such as multiple sprites for emotions during cutscenes. I also really found Liberation Missions to be an entertaining gimmick, with SP chips as rewards to be a nice touch. Also the voice acting was a pretty great surprise; it's not FANTASTIC, and it's a itsy bit repetitive, but it's better than ZXAdvent's voice acting, and if it's better than that, it's drat well good enough for me. :colbert:

On the other hand, the entire game seems just kind dumb in almost every other way? The plot was super linear, every single net area is a loving slog to go through, and you can't even get type 2+ standards until you break the Nebula Area seal unless you get lucky and pull one out of the Spec. Chip Trader. I suppose that's better than playing the game 3 times through just to get to the final areas but still gently caress that.

e; oh yeah, and don't forget that every single special area preceeding a Navi fight? Man and I thought the regular areas were bad. The Navicomps on the ship, the drill thing, the GargComp. It all took WAY too loving long and I felt like the entire game was just one entire puzzle. I enjoyed BN3 way more because although there were high thought puzzle sequences (and also the guy who designed Yoka 1 should be fired now that I think about it), there were also a lot of leisurely, relaxing scenes, where I just kind of did something, or went on the net and bought something, or did a Scilab quest, or hosed around with the NaviCust. BN5 just felt like I was going straight from one plot hook to the next, with no incentive to explore the net (because there was nowhere TO explore since it was so drat linear).

Also as kind of a neutral point about the game, I feel it takes a gigantic step into a different direction from literally every other Megaman BN game. (Disclaimer: I played them in the order of 3 > 4 > 6 > 3 When I wasn't a retarded kid > 5)Viruses only drop chips in 1 code, with their EX dropping a different type? Every single net area basically assembled in a gigantic line? Dark Chips go in your inventory now? The plot starts out with kidnapping and revolves around manly liberations of enemy controlled areas? (Actually I find I can relate a lot of Star Force 3's plot to this game, and obviously in SF3 they learned a lot from BN5's mistakes) Seriously I was baffled at just how WIERD it all looked, especially since they for the most part just kind of merged everything together from 3 and 4 into 6.

Tying this massive tl;dr together, I'd like to make the following comment combining both my thoughts concerning the handheld's poor localization choices and BN5's flaws:

I cannot believe that they decided that SerchMan was a better handle than SearchMn. I will seriously never forgive them for that.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 25, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Still better than poor Tmhkmn.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Momomo posted:

Still better than poor Tmhkmn.

How does that even work out? I thought the GBA games all had 8 slots for letters?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

NTT posted:

How does that even work out? I thought the GBA games all had 8 slots for letters?
Need more space for the upgraded names.

I like BN5 DTDS a lot, I've played through both versions 100%. I can't really put my finger on it, but in general I'd say the game just feels really, really polished in comparison to all that came before. Everything, especially in the vast postgame, is just really streamlined. Bosses for the most part don't have completely retarded gimmicks, in fact there's no boss I really hate for being a complete pain in the rear end. Getting their chips is pretty trivial that way, what with SneakRun, SuperArmor, the LocEnemy chips etc.
You also have all the tools necessary to get the standard chips relatively simply because it all is so consistent. Normal version: one code; EX version: second code; collect program: third code. It's wonderful. Made assembling the PAs really not tedious at all.
You have tons of ways to get around the internet, shortcuts, access points, teleporters. Only the Nebula areas themselves are a slog. The easy way into Under 3 is especially well done, leading you right to the entrance into Under 4, or Under 2, or Under 2 ---> Nebula 1.

All of that just makes the game flow nicely, and it gets ever better the more of it you unlock. It's such a huge step up from BN4 being retarded in every single way. From the arcane and brutally stupid ways BN3 often hid its rarest chips. BN2 and 1 obviously had even more problems just because there was no NaviCust.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
And then there's EXE 4.5. Did that translation project ever get finished?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I feel like the only person that legitimately likes MMBN: Battle Chip Challenge. But then again, i'm also a Magic: The Gathering player and deckbuilding gets me all hot and bothered.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

As an ex-Magic player, I also love deckbuilding.

So I do my deckbuilding in a game that's actually good, though. Like any mainline BN sans 4?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I can't believe how wrong you are about the best robot master

He has skids for feet.

I saw a video of a ROM hack where the hacker removed the concealed ceiling in Gyro Man's stage. Without it, he just flies the gently caress out, leaving Mega Man stranded.

Best Robot Master.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Okay, after ragequitting both X6 and X7, I got to X8. This one is a huge improvement, and has some actual half decent gameplay, but I can't help but think that it's really lame that two of the 8 Maverick stages are wasted on terrible Ride Chaser levels and the Sigma levels are wicked short, and pretty much only consist of an elevator ride, a boss rush, then 1 actual level.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Simply Simon posted:

Need more space for the upgraded names.

I like BN5 DTDS a lot, I've played through both versions 100%. I can't really put my finger on it, but in general I'd say the game just feels really, really polished in comparison to all that came before. Everything, especially in the vast postgame, is just really streamlined. Bosses for the most part don't have completely retarded gimmicks, in fact there's no boss I really hate for being a complete pain in the rear end. Getting their chips is pretty trivial that way, what with SneakRun, SuperArmor, the LocEnemy chips etc.
You also have all the tools necessary to get the standard chips relatively simply because it all is so consistent. Normal version: one code; EX version: second code; collect program: third code. It's wonderful. Made assembling the PAs really not tedious at all.
You have tons of ways to get around the internet, shortcuts, access points, teleporters. Only the Nebula areas themselves are a slog. The easy way into Under 3 is especially well done, leading you right to the entrance into Under 4, or Under 2, or Under 2 ---> Nebula 1.

All of that just makes the game flow nicely, and it gets ever better the more of it you unlock. It's such a huge step up from BN4 being retarded in every single way. From the arcane and brutally stupid ways BN3 often hid its rarest chips. BN2 and 1 obviously had even more problems just because there was no NaviCust.

See, I just got to the post game like yesterday, so I'll just have to see if I like it any more than I did the main campaign :v:

Also I am a fan of Battle Chip Challenge. It's kind of a dumb game, but the deck building was pretty neat, and it was actually kind of fuckin hard and a -challenge-.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Simply Simon posted:

Wait what? Almost all of BN5's areas are a slog. ACDC Area is the only internet area you can actually easily navigate because for some god forsaken reason the game decided to waste three desktop shortcuts to go there.

Oran Area's the second closest thing the game has to something workable, and it has no direct shortcut to it. You either have to warp to ACDC 2 and walk to Oran 1 or straight up go to Oran Island and jack in. And then you have to walk through Oran 3 to get to End, which is an area that by all means should be super short but nope got to walk all the way around the map. SciLab actually has a shortcut leading to its Square, but the area is a complete mess and annoying as hell to walk through if you don't have a map. End Area somehow manages to be even worse, with the shortcut not being accessible until after you're forced to slog through it twice IIRC. And even then the shortcut just plops you in the middle. And the Undernet is even worse (which is expected for the Undernet of course, but BN5 loses points for not having an easy path to memorize that skips most of the dead ends. You just gotta walk... and walk... and walk), with the "shortcut" only being accessible in postgame and not actually doing anything to make the Undernet less of a ridiculous maze. And of course Nebula Area is absolutely loving terrible, but you already said that.

BN5's net design was quite frankly horrible in general. It's only better than BN1's by the fact that everything doesn't look the exact same and there aren't ridiculous puzzles you have to solve to get through half the maps.

EDIT: Of course, the greatest issue with BN5's maps was loving Oran Mine. I can forgive arcane maps filled with dead ends, one way panels, and turns if I at least have some battle to break up the monotony with. If there's anything that needed a shortcut, it was that.

EDIT 2: Oh wow I did not even notice I didn't finish one of my sentences. :downs:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 28, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, after ragequitting both X6 and X7, I got to X8. This one is a huge improvement, and has some actual half decent gameplay, but I can't help but think that it's really lame that two of the 8 Maverick stages are wasted on terrible Ride Chaser levels and the Sigma levels are wicked short, and pretty much only consist of an elevator ride, a boss rush, then 1 actual level.

On the other hand you can swap between 3 guys that get entirely new movesets based on the bosses you beat so they probably spent all their time on that.

I liked X8, it was clearly better than X6 and X7 but I guess the damage was done at that point.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

NTT posted:

Also I am a fan of Battle Chip Challenge. It's kind of a dumb game, but the deck building was pretty neat, and it was actually kind of fuckin hard and a -challenge-.
Battle Chip Challenge was, at the very least, an interesting gameplay idea. It's just that most of the time you're just watching the game resolve things with very little input. It definitely felt like the game was merely a demonstration of this idea.

As for difficulty, there's a Flashman whose deck is nothing but Remobit 3s and he is a cheating bastard because he's not supposed to be able to build that!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

On the other hand you can swap between 3 guys that get entirely new movesets based on the bosses you beat so they probably spent all their time on that.

I liked X8, it was clearly better than X6 and X7 but I guess the damage was done at that point.

Hey, I like X8 too, but it's nowhere close to being as good as the first four games. The game is definitely better than X5.

X5 is where it started jumping the shark. Can't shoot through walls, Alia won't shut the gently caress up, crappy rear end armors that you can't even use until you get all the parts, dumb gimmicks like having 16 hours to shoot a laser or random stage elements... I'm blaming this mess on Alia.

But yeah, you are totally right - X8 isn't bad... but the damage was definitely done. X5 has a lot of fundamental gameplay problems, and X6 and X7 took those and loving ran with them so much they make X5 seem awesome in comparison.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

X8 is a stupendous waste of potential. The basic system is finally good again, you've got motivation to make more of the game than "8 stages, 4 fortress levels, done" via grinding for metals and finding rare ones and poo poo, and then the level design is just fantastically awful for most of the stages. There's like one of them I'd call good (protect the Ride Armor but it's okay if you don't), and then you have two ride chaser levels which are always poo poo, a vertical autoscroller, that stealth gimmick (okay that one is passable but just because it rewards you for using the perfect controls), minigame central, run-away-from-that-robot-then-chase-it and the asinine dodge-the-crystals-room afterwards, the Flip Room poo poo and uh one more.

I mean, okay, I get it, you're out of level ideas. Now just reshape a few old ones, do, you know, some clever enemy placement instead of boring poo poo and we could be friends again. Or just let Inti do it, they know what they are doing!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hey, I like X8 too, but it's nowhere close to being as good as the first four games. The game is definitely better than X5.

X5 is where it started jumping the shark. Can't shoot through walls, Alia won't shut the gently caress up, crappy rear end armors that you can't even use until you get all the parts, dumb gimmicks like having 16 hours to shoot a laser or random stage elements... I'm blaming this mess on Alia.

But yeah, you are totally right - X8 isn't bad... but the damage was definitely done. X5 has a lot of fundamental gameplay problems, and X6 and X7 took those and loving ran with them so much they make X5 seem awesome in comparison.

I guess I need to play X8? I enjoyed X5 before 6 and 7 came out. Play as Zero, ignore the armors and the countdown, it's still fast paced and fun. All the message spam from Alia does suck, the game is easy, and I hate the warning screen before every boss. Anyone who has ever played Mega Man already knows a boss is coming, anyone who hasn't will be quite aware when a loving boss and life bar appear.

It was the start of a downhill trend, I'll heartily agree to that. But... Dynamo! Alright, I've got nothing.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I guess I need to play X8? I enjoyed X5 before 6 and 7 came out. Play as Zero, ignore the armors and the countdown, it's still fast paced and fun. All the message spam from Alia does suck, the game is easy, and I hate the warning screen before every boss. Anyone who has ever played Mega Man already knows a boss is coming, anyone who hasn't will be quite aware when a loving boss and life bar appear.

It was the start of a downhill trend, I'll heartily agree to that. But... Dynamo! Alright, I've got nothing.

I dunno, I wouldn't call X5 "fast paced." Alia's messages slow the game to a crawl, as does the level design and the fact that you can't shoot through walls. Duff McWhalen's stage is loving PAINFUL to play. It's not hard, it's just SLOOOOWWWW. It autoscrolls at a turtle's pace, and that stupid ship takes forever to kill. There is no need for that. That's not fun. It's also not fun revisiting the level 3 times to get everything.

Also, like, the bosses are so loving weird and unnatural in that game. I still can't get past how Grizzly Slash FLOATS through the air instead of jumping. And his "jump" has like, 1 frame of animation. Also, bosses like Dark Necrobat et. all are in their "stunned" state after you hit them with their weakness for like, 5 seconds. Not to mention his weakness is a slow rear end guided firefly that's only useful for that one fight and 1 capsule.

X6 and X7 are even MORE slow and tedious than X5. Oh hey, having to fight 5 donut minibosses in a row with an enormous health bar sounds fun and not tedious at all, right?

Also, for whatever reason, the play control in X5, X6 and X7 just in general feels sluggish and less responsive. Like, Zero can't move until his animation finishes and his hair stops moving in X6. It's like I'm moving through molasses, and I have a couple fingers cut off.

In the Classic NES games, X1-X4, and the Zero games, Megaman \ X \ Zero all feel like a 5th limb, and they do exactly what I tell them to, and if I get killed it's all my fault, not the game's. In X5-X7, I kind of feel like I'm wrestling with the controls a bit. It wasn't until X8 where it started feeling natural again.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I hate the warning screen before every boss.

That's a loading screen. It was also a loading screen in X4.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
OH MY GOD I'M AN ADDICT

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 27, 2012

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I hope you have a magnet hidden behind the ElecMan portrait.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Of course, the greatest issue with BN5's maps was loving Oran Mine. I can forgive arcane maps filled with dead ends, one way panels, and turns if I only ha If there's anything that needed a shortcut, it was that.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has tried, unconsciously, to "jack out" Lan from the Oran Mine several times :downsgun:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Glenn_Beckett posted:

OH MY GOD I'M AN ADDICT

Where are you getting these, and please tell me they've got the Mega Man 3 robot masters available as well.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

Panic Restaurant posted:

Where are you getting these, and please tell me they've got the Mega Man 3 robot masters available as well.

Not yet, and from thedailyrobot on etsy.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Simply Simon posted:

X8 is a stupendous waste of potential. The basic system is finally good again, you've got motivation to make more of the game than "8 stages, 4 fortress levels, done" via grinding for metals and finding rare ones and poo poo, and then the level design is just fantastically awful for most of the stages. There's like one of them I'd call good (protect the Ride Armor but it's okay if you don't), and then you have two ride chaser levels which are always poo poo, a vertical autoscroller, that stealth gimmick (okay that one is passable but just because it rewards you for using the perfect controls), minigame central, run-away-from-that-robot-then-chase-it and the asinine dodge-the-crystals-room afterwards, the Flip Room poo poo and uh one more.

I mean, okay, I get it, you're out of level ideas. Now just reshape a few old ones, do, you know, some clever enemy placement instead of boring poo poo and we could be friends again. Or just let Inti do it, they know what they are doing!

I agree with you fully and I think I would've hated X8 if it came after X4. But now that it came after X6 and X7 it's such an improvement that I can almost forgive it for it's shortcomings. At least you got to shred Cutman with the Sigma "Blade"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hey everyone Xover came out in Japan. And a review and 20 minutes of gameplay with it.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/11/29/rockman-xover-first-impressions-yeah-it-sucks/