Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Literally The Worst posted:

It's been a hot minute since I played Gen II, what's the consensus on the best starter?
I'm pretty sure almost everyone agrees that the crocodile is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm pretty sure almost everyone agrees that the crocodile is the best.

Good. Good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

It's been a hot minute since I played Gen II, what's the consensus on the best starter?

Totodile with Dragon Dance is pretty cool, as is Cyndaquil if you can get Eruption on him (ideally with a Choice Scarf). Meganium is pretty abysmal.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Probably Totodile, but none of the Johto crew are really stellar.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Feraligatr and you can't tell me otherwise. :colbert:

Can you SR for a Shiny Beldum with the one Steven leaves you in his house? I feel like that's a dumb question but I'm not sure.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Geostomp posted:

Probably Totodile, but none of the Johto crew are really stellar.

Interesting. You seem to have developed a rare brain disorder that makes you ignore part of a sentence that you just wrote.

You see Totodile contradicts the statement none of the johto crew are really stellar, as Totodile is the best goddamn starter of any generation.

HTH your weird brain thingy.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

oddium posted:

[gestures to TED Talk crowd] "Whom amongst us would not pay a paltry 1.99 a month for new Advance Wars maps ??"
You laugh, but I eventually ended up shelling out for most of the Fire Emblem DLC map packs (it was totally worth it: Dread Fighter is godly, Bride's pretty good, and the Gold map is hilarious and profitable)

Also I would also totally by a new Advance Wars game if they made one.

Countblanc posted:

Totodile with Dragon Dance is pretty cool, as is Cyndaquil if you can get Eruption on him (ideally with a Choice Scarf). Meganium is pretty abysmal.
Yeah, it's either Totodile or Cyndaquil, with Totodile probably coming out a little ahead. Meganium is a defensive Grass type, which is done better by other mons, and also you generally want your starter to be a fighter, not a wall.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Were there any of the guys who pay better prices for specific salables around, or should I just dump those on any vendor?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Did they ever get Feraligatr the letter it was missing? I don't remember HGSS very well.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

the Chikorita line is the cutest. :colbert:

(As others have said, none of them are amazing. But in Gen II I'd give the nod to Typhlosion, with Feraligatr coming in second. Plus, fire types are much rarer than water types.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Carlosologist posted:

Can you SR for a Shiny Beldum with the one Steven leaves you in his house? I feel like that's a dumb question but I'm not sure.
You know there's a wi-fi shiny beldum distribution going on right now, right?

Unless you're wanting to SR the in-game beldum so you can nickname it, in which case just ignore me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
As I live with other people, I am reluctant to gently caress around with my Wifi settings. So, I have to ask: is this method somewhat safe? Will I have to set everything back to normal later, or does it create an entirely different thing? I don't want to potentially even temporarily gently caress up the wifi when I have 20+ people over at my place for Thanksgiving.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

As I live with other people, I am reluctant to gently caress around with my Wifi settings. So, I have to ask: is this method somewhat safe? Will I have to set everything back to normal later, or does it create an entirely different thing? I don't want to potentially even temporarily gently caress up the wifi when I have 20+ people over at my place for Thanksgiving.

Just show them your new Pokemon and it'll all be good! :downs:

E: Also Jesus the new newbie avatar is... strange

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Haifisch posted:

You know there's a wi-fi shiny beldum distribution going on right now, right?

Unless you're wanting to SR the in-game beldum so you can nickname it, in which case just ignore me.

I wanted to SR the in-game Beldum for my OT, really not a big deal since I already bungled the SRing by saving. Guess it's back to hatching eggs :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Did they ever get Feraligatr the letter it was missing? I don't remember HGSS very well.

Nope.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

MrFlibble posted:

Interesting. You seem to have developed a rare brain disorder that makes you ignore part of a sentence that you just wrote.

You see Totodile contradicts the statement none of the johto crew are really stellar, as Totodile is the best goddamn starter of any generation.

HTH your weird brain thingy.

Giving Feraligatr Sheer Force is just under giving Serperior Contrary on my gamefreak wish list. It would basically turn him into a cooler Gyarados but with Aqua Jet to deal with Talonflame.

Good

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Do you find the Regis the same way that you did in the originals? I have a 6th slot open on my team (I'm at mossdeep) and I was thinking of using Regice instead of Glalie

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yes, the Regis are found the same as in the original.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Blaziken386 posted:

It will create a new wifi hotspot off your PC. It's easily reversible. It's safe if you do it right.

It's iffy whether it will work with your wireless card, though. Neither of the ones I tried would take the mac cycling, so I could get one streetpass then quit.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Manatee Cannon posted:

You mean like how they fixed Mudskip, Gourdgeist, Electrabuzz, Oshawotter, Dewotter, Samurotter, Sarcophagregious, Whimsicotton, Frostlass, and so on?

Btw it's spelled "alligator" so it's missing two letters, not one.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Wow, Skarmory in Aime is some serious H. R. Giger poo poo :gonk:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Best wondertrades of the day; a farfetch'd named TURDUCKEN and a vivillion with a pattern I didn't have named Swag :allears:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Wow, Skarmory in Aime is some serious H. R. Giger poo poo :gonk:

I hate Ferroseed in Amie the most

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Is every Pokemon hidden ability available via Dexnav? I'm up to search rating 37 on sabeleye and all I get are Keen Eyes and Stalls... and wide lens.

I miss friend safari.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 27, 2014

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Blaziken386 posted:

It looks about as safe as self surgery. Why not just wait until the holidays are over (or at least until you're alone) before you try this out? Is it really that important to get the other bird? Happy birdday

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Anyone who has me on their Friend List, I need help right now. I have a shiny Skarmory right in front of me and a single Great Ball. Please send me the highest level capture power you have, if possible level 3.

I should appear as 420 Blaze, with a Breeder portrait.

This is the first time in my life I've found a shiny on the wild, I don't want to lose it. Please, help me!

EDIT: Forget it. I threw the last ball with Capture Power level 2 and it broke out. I don't care anymore.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 27, 2014

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Anyone who has me on their Friend List, I need help right now. I have a shiny Skarmory right in front of me and a single Great Ball. Please send me the highest level capture power you have, if possible level 3.

I should appear as 420 Blaze, with a Breeder portrait.

This is the first time in my life I've found a shiny on the wild, I don't want to lose it. Please, help me!

EDIT: Forget it. I threw the last ball with Capture Power level 2 and it broke out. I don't care anymore.

Well, it probably had poo poo IVs anyway. I found a shiny Arbok while EV training my Breloom yesterday in pokemon X. It'll sit in the box forever doing nothing. hey; if you want I'll give it to you, It's a neutral nature so its not THAT horrible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It doesn't matter if it's good or not, the point is that it's shiny.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I can hunt out Feebas with Dexnav. Best feature? I think it's the best feature.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Night Blade posted:

Is every Pokemon hidden ability available via Dexnav? I'm up to search rating 37 on sabeleye and all I get are Keen Eyes and Stalls... and wide lens.

I miss friend safari.

Sometimes you get unlucky when it comes to HAs. The general rule of thumb is you want to have a high chain while doing DexNaving, and you'll start seeing HA mons.

I've been breeding HA Skrelps the moment I found one just because I realize I don't want anyone to go through the same tedium as chaining as I did. :v:

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
I loving did it. Prankster/Recover Sableye egg just hatched. Dicking around chasing dust clouds in that cave on Dewford is one of the most irritating video game things I remember doing in recent times but so worth it (probably). I am going to breed a lot of these for Wonder Trade so others don't need to do this poo poo.

Whoever designed that area knowing what Sableye can get through dex nav deserves a special place in hell. If it wasn't a dustcloud rising above a cliff or getting the "It couldn't be found! Try somewhere new" in those tiny areas, it was a dust cloud triggering in the adjacent caves that you can't reach without leaving your current cave :gonk: Pretty fitting for a trickster greedy cave goblin though!

Night Blade posted:

I miss friend safari.

I was at ~43 when the Prankster one finally popped up, ~25 for the one with Recover. I'd get your friend code and send you one but I'm gonna be pretty busy for the next 4 days, sorry!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

LightningKimba posted:

Sometimes you get unlucky when it comes to HAs. The general rule of thumb is you want to have a high chain while doing DexNaving, and you'll start seeing HA mons.

I've been breeding HA Skrelps the moment I found one just because I realize I don't want anyone to go through the same tedium as chaining as I did. :v:

Happen to have a spare adaptability Skrelp? Quiet if you have it, not a big deal if not though.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

The command prompt spits out "resource is not in the correct state" at step 4, and the network status is "not available". I've tried the sleep mode thing already, and my connection does not seem to have a sharing tab.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

ChaosArgate posted:

I can hunt out Feebas with Dexnav. Best feature? I think it's the best feature.

I don't even care about the rest of the game, Dexnav is the best thing.

Watch it never show up again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any reason to do this Delta Emerald crap? It reads like terrible pokemon fanfic and isn't fun in the slightest. I just want to go to the battle resort but the game hasn't told me how to get there yet so I assume I have to slog through this.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any reason to do this Delta Emerald crap? It reads like terrible pokemon fanfic and isn't fun in the slightest. I just want to go to the battle resort but the game hasn't told me how to get there yet so I assume I have to slog through this.

You have to in order to get to the battle maison, it's rather short but really fedex-ey. I was hoping they were going to do more with it with how psychotic Zinnia is in her intro animation; but yeah...

quote:

I was at ~43 when the Prankster one finally popped up, ~25 for the one with Recover. I'd get your friend code and send you one but I'm gonna be pretty busy for the next 4 days, sorry!

Almost 100 now and while Ive gotten a few pranksters, no pranksters + recover. Never again.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 28, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Fedex-ey?

Also Delta is good, cause I like Zinnia's theme.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rayquaza and Deoxys are also gated by Delta Episode.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

You just get sent back and forth across the map delivering items and picking them up. Occasionally you beat up some random grunts with pokemon woefully under your level so its like sweeping up trash.

quote:

Also Delta is good, cause I like Zinnia's theme.

Zinnia is probably the worst character this series has ever had. I just want her to go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Night Blade posted:

You have to in order to get to the battle maison, it's rather short but really fedex-ey. I was hoping they were going to do more with it with how psychotic Zinnia is in her intro animation; but yeah...

Almost 100 now and while Ive gotten a few pranksters, no pranksters + recover. Never again.

:psyduck: poo poo dude. I only ever found 1 with Recover myself, had Keen Eye so hence it had to be sent to day care to make babies with a Prankster capture.

Sableye being such a bitch to capture as well meant I had to set up 3 monsters I had on hand to actually capture one. Marshstomp to use Foresight, Metang for Hold Back and Vigoroth to use Yawn because the little bastards still wouldn't get reliably captured at 1 health in an Ultra/Great Ball. Like hell I was going to risk a critical hit with anything else after how long I was spending trying to get one.

• Locked thread