Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Milkman posted:

I lost my airpods case today, picked up the new Wireless Charging one from the store. Came with an empty battery. Then it wouldn't charge on my Anker pad. I thought it was broken until I noticed it would charge if I held it slightly above the pad. So I've got the warranty pamphlet recycled as padding. Anybody else had trouble with these? In any case I'm even less surprised AirPower failed.

The metal hinge on the case interferes with charging if it’s directly against the pad. Not sure how that one made it to production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

“only 40 GB”

I have 64 and routinely hit near the limit. :shrug:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

if you're coming from 8gb and your prior workflow was constrained by that it's still probably going to take a little bit for your habits to catch up to quintupling it

if you're just futureproofing against a workflow you might eventually have but haven't actually performed yet you'll probably be fine for a long time with 40gb

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

I'm thinking this will be my main general use PC for web browsing, accessing work stuff over a VDI, video editing, a bit of coding, and gaming to the degree that I can get away with it on this hardware. I'm thinking I'll use Boot Camp and dual boot with Windows 10 for gaming, and possibly I'll do my VDI stuff via Windows 10 as from what I've heard it's more reliable for connecting to our particular Citrix server setup. I'm not very serious yet about Final Cut Pro, Logic, etc and am still learning the ropes, but one of the main reasons I'd like to get this system is to take advantage of the $200 Pro Apps Education bundle. I do expect that a good amount of my usage of this machine will be within one of these apps.

I'm trying to decide between 2 versus 3 displays (meaning in addition to the built in 5K 27" display I'll get either one or two monitors, sizes and type TBD). I normally use two 24" displays for PC usage, and have wanted to step up to 3. Any thoughts on whether it makes sense? This would mainly be for the sake of having more windows and tabs open at once, and perhaps having one or more screens connected to my work-based VDI, while the other would be my own desktop perhaps.

Anyone want to advise me on RAM? Trying to decide whether to get a 2x16 upgrade kit versus 2x32. Either way I'll leave the 8 GB populating the other two slots, so I'll have a total of either 40 GB or 72 GB. Based on 3 monitors, with multiple windows and tabs open, often using these Pro apps, am I going to be hurting performance with only 40 GB, or will it not make a difference either way and 72 would just be a waste?
Is VDI remote desktop type stuff, all the compute resources on the remote machine(s)? If it works better in Windows you could potentially just run that stuff in a virtual machine rather than needing to dual boot when you need to use that. Sounds like games and potentially whatever pro apps will be the main things then?

32GB is probably fine...if you’re not sure about it in the first place you probably don’t need more than that to begin with.

For multi monitor, go for it if you want, if you have the budget and desk space. Can’t comment much on pushing all those pixels, but for regular desktop stuff I’m guessing it should be fine (assuming the machine supports whatever number of display/resolution/refresh setups).

The Milkman posted:

I lost my airpods case today, picked up the new Wireless Charging one from the store. Came with an empty battery. Then it wouldn't charge on my Anker pad. I thought it was broken until I noticed it would charge if I held it slightly above the pad. So I've got the warranty pamphlet recycled as padding. Anybody else had trouble with these? In any case I'm even less surprised AirPower failed.
Looking at reviews that doesn’t seem that uncommon.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

if you're coming from 8gb and your prior workflow was constrained by that it's still probably going to take a little bit for your habits to catch up to quintupling it

if you're just futureproofing against a workflow you might eventually have but haven't actually performed yet you'll probably be fine for a long time with 40gb

It's definitely that second one. I'm not coming from a machine with 8 GB, but I'm just using that as the starting point since you get 2x4 GB modules with the base model 27" iMac configuration.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

japtor posted:

Is VDI remote desktop type stuff, all the compute resources on the remote machine(s)? If it works better in Windows you could potentially just run that stuff in a virtual machine rather than needing to dual boot when you need to use that.
Yep. On the client side I'm running the Citrix Receiver app which is essentially just a souped up terminal program for accessing a bunch of different remote servers and resources. Thanks for the tip about running a virtual machine to run Citrix Receiver in Windows 10 rather than dual booting. Would that be something like VMWare or Parallels? I'm very new to VM's, but have always wanted to start learning about and using them, so this might be the perfect time.

japtor posted:

Sounds like games and potentially whatever pro apps will be the main things then?
This, and in addition I'll probably do a lot of movie watching and other media consumption on that nice big 5K display. I'm telling myself this machine will finally be the kick start I need to get more serious about development and coding as well. I do a ton of web browsing, YouTube watching, and all manner of other stuff I could also do on a lesser machine. However, for the way I expect to use this machine, the math is all coming together in terms of it meeting my needs... unless there's some better option I'm missing.

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 25, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

VMWare Fusion is the way.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yep. On the client side I'm running the Citrix Receiver app which is essentially just a souped up terminal program for accessing a bunch of different remote servers and resources. Thanks for the tip about running a virtual machine to run Citrix Receiver in Windows 10 rather than dual booting. Would that be something like VMWare or Parallels? I'm very new to VM's, but have always wanted to start learning about and using them, so this might be the perfect time.
VMware

quote:

This, and in addition I'll probably do a lot of movie watching and other media consumption on that nice big 5K display. I'm telling myself this machine will finally be the kick start I need to get more serious about development and coding as well. I do a ton of web browsing, YouTube watching, and all manner of other stuff I could also do on a lesser machine. However, for the way I expect to use this machine, the math is all coming together in terms of it meeting my needs... unless there's some better option I'm missing.
Yeah should be fine for most everything...with gaming being the big question mark. As I said before worst case you do a dedicated gaming PC build, and since it looks like you’re probably going multi monitor you can just hook it up to the other display(s) with various ways to deal with keyboard/mouse switching.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
2019 is such a weird time to be wondering about gaming and whatnot. Like, it’s simultaneously probably the best time to build a gaming PC but also probably the best time to consider any number of alternatives if you’d still rather do most of your computing in MacOS.

Every time I find myself considering leaving MacOS for Windows or building a gaming machine of some sort I remember how good the current crop of consoles is and how good the next gen that’s a year away is shaping up to be and how there will be at least 3 major new game streaming services up by the end of 2020.

Like in 3 years 25% of this thread will be streaming games in 4K straight from Microsoft to their 12” ARM MacBooks or whatever and loving it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PCs last a long time nowadays. Even a 1060 will provide 1080p 60fps for years to come.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Streaming has latency issues that cannot be fixed, speed of light in an optic fiber being what it is. Streaming will always depend on quality of the last mile as well and ISPs are content to oversubscribe customers on outdated and poorly maintained substandard infra and this has not changed with the explosion of bandwidth demand.

Streaming will be a decent alternative for some people but it will not replace dedicated hardware for enthusiasts, not for a long time.

eames
May 9, 2009

I do wonder if the latency issue could be compensated by some form of hybrid engine that lets a part of the game engine run locally while rendering the game remotely.
Kind of like netcode with movement anticipation algorithms and what not, but between client and rendering server. In my mind that would open up a lot of possibilities compared to just running a “dumb” remote VM and transmitting input/video to the client.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

Streaming has latency issues that cannot be fixed, speed of light in an optic fiber being what it is. Streaming will always depend on quality of the last mile as well and ISPs are content to oversubscribe customers on outdated and poorly maintained substandard infra and this has not changed with the explosion of bandwidth demand.

Streaming will be a decent alternative for some people but it will not replace dedicated hardware for enthusiasts, not for a long time.

Wouldn’t advances in compression deal with this?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tuyop posted:

Wouldn’t advances in compression deal with this?

No, compressions helps with bandwidth, but latency is quite separate.

You can have a network connection that will transfer files at 10Gbps, but if it takes 10 seconds to start sending data after you press go it’ll be worthless for streaming games.

We’re talking about the latency of sending your button presses and stick movements up to the server - very little data really, but the delay in it getting there is vitally important, and noticeable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

No, compressions helps with bandwidth, but latency is quite separate.

You can have a network connection that will transfer files at 10Gbps, but if it takes 10 seconds to start sending data after you press go it’ll be worthless for streaming games.

We’re talking about the latency of sending your button presses and stick movements up to the server - very little data really, but the delay in it getting there is vitally important, and noticeable.

Oh right, I understand I just didn’t notice the distinction. :(

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

eames posted:

I do wonder if the latency issue could be compensated by some form of hybrid engine that lets a part of the game engine run locally while rendering the game remotely.
Kind of like netcode with movement anticipation algorithms and what not, but between client and rendering server. In my mind that would open up a lot of possibilities compared to just running a “dumb” remote VM and transmitting input/video to the client.

The latency is in visual feedback. The actual game state changes in half that time already. It doesn’t matter that the engine registered an input if it’s not reflected on-screen.

But rendering background elements remotely might be interesting.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’m jazzed about Stadia et al. I tested the AssCreed Odyssey streaming beta and was super impressed; even on my 25Mbps home WiFi it looked and played just fine. I’m certainly not buying the “founders’ pack” or spending a dollar on the service until I see reviews of how the final product works, but I’m very optimistic.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

2019 is such a weird time to be wondering about gaming and whatnot. Like, it’s simultaneously probably the best time to build a gaming PC but also probably the best time to consider any number of alternatives if you’d still rather do most of your computing in MacOS.

Every time I find myself considering leaving MacOS for Windows or building a gaming machine of some sort I remember how good the current crop of consoles is and how good the next gen that’s a year away is shaping up to be and how there will be at least 3 major new game streaming services up by the end of 2020.

Like in 3 years 25% of this thread will be streaming games in 4K straight from Microsoft to their 12” ARM MacBooks or whatever and loving it.

I have a switch and PS4 Pro. I only want a pc (or Xbox) for gears and halo. Funny enough, I just bought stuff for my Mac on steam, and am stoked for my first pc games in about 10 years. Nothing new, but classics that should run great on my new (eBay buy) MacBook Pro 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

However, for the way I expect to use this machine, the math is all coming together in terms of it meeting my needs... unless there's some better option I'm missing.
Quoting you again cause there’s another gaming option I forgot about :
Out of context here, but this reminded me that Steam Link is also a thing. So if you go the PC game box build route you could still play on the fancy iMac screen that way and not have to deal with switching input devices and what not between the two machines.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

japtor posted:

Quoting you again cause there’s another gaming option I forgot about :

Out of context here, but this reminded me that Steam Link is also a thing. So if you go the PC game box build route you could still play on the fancy iMac screen that way and not have to deal with switching input devices and what not between the two machines.

Yep, and you can also do it with PS4 and Xbone (I think the latter might be Windows only, but no reason a local stream can’t live in a VM, IMO).

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
Speaking of Steam and the summer sale they've got going- Which OS are you guys running for Steam? I haven't looked into this recently, but years ago there were a lot of Steam games that would run natively in Mac OS. Or are you rebooting in Windows 10? I would expect that the games supporting Mac OS would probably run better there than Win 10 on the same machine. Is it mostly the less graphically intensive strategy games and stuff ported to Mac OS?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Speaking of Steam and the summer sale they've got going- Which OS are you guys running for Steam? I haven't looked into this recently, but years ago there were a lot of Steam games that would run natively in Mac OS. Or are you rebooting in Windows 10? I would expect that the games supporting Mac OS would probably run better there than Win 10 on the same machine. Is it mostly the less graphically intensive strategy games and stuff ported to Mac OS?

Newer games that use Metal run well in macOS. Older games that use OpenGL run much better under Bootcamped Win10. Those older games will mostly stop working in Catalina since they’re 32-but executables and have a snowball’s chance in hell of receiving continued support.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Update. Having played around with my 2015 MacBook Pro for a day I’m astounded at just how great this machine is. Like the new pros are thinner but this thing is amazing. Screens great. Keyboard is great. It has ports! And it cost me less than $700 all told. For a 4 year old laptop, it sure as hell doesn’t feel like one. Very happy I went eBay and can now easily not think about computers for a few years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Update. Having played around with my 2015 MacBook Pro for a day I’m astounded at just how great this machine is. Like the new pros are thinner but this thing is amazing. Screens great. Keyboard is great. It has ports! And it cost me less than $700 all told. For a 4 year old laptop, it sure as hell doesn’t feel like one. Very happy I went eBay and can now easily not think about computers for a few years.

Have you gotten the topcase/battery/keyboard replaced? It may be due- check the battery health. There’s also an active recall on the batteries for, I believe, 2015 models so check to see if Apple will do it for free/potentially save you from an exploding laptop. It’s worth the $175 regardless.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If his mid-2015 rMBP has one of the serials that require replacement, then he gets a new top case (keyboard, trackpad+batteries) for free, it's all one piece, you can't get JUST the batteries replaced unless you take it to someone willing to spend the time to unglue the batteries.

LionArcher, glad you got a good deal. At that price, it's probably the integrated GPU only? But if you paid $700 for one with a dGPU then it's a drat steal. :)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I do some light gaming in MacOS for Civ, KSP, WoW, etc and have a Win7 partition for Skyrim. :v:

I find the instant response of "just build a gaming PC" to people asking about gaming on their Macs to be odd. There's a difference in what people mean by gaming, and my Mac has suited me fine for the games I play. Anything more demanding goes to my PS4, which is way less hassle than a gaming PC.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Have you gotten the topcase/battery/keyboard replaced? It may be due- check the battery health. There’s also an active recall on the batteries for, I believe, 2015 models so check to see if Apple will do it for free/potentially save you from an exploding laptop. It’s worth the $175 regardless.

It’s a 13 inch and the cycle count is 127? So i don’t think it counts. (The recall only effected the 2015 15 inch right?). This was pulled from a business I’m guessing, keyboard feels brand new. Only a few minor scratches on the bottom and top (and will be covered by a dbrand shortly )

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

If his mid-2015 rMBP has one of the serials that require replacement, then he gets a new top case (keyboard, trackpad+batteries) for free, it's all one piece, you can't get JUST the batteries replaced unless you take it to someone willing to spend the time to unglue the batteries.

LionArcher, glad you got a good deal. At that price, it's probably the integrated GPU only? But if you paid $700 for one with a dGPU then it's a drat steal. :)

I think integrated? It’s the faster i5 of that year. 16 gigs of ram though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Did I somehow forget something????

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Pivo posted:

Thats true but the big difference with stadia is that google has more servers and points of presence than any other company, if google did a hard cut off of 20ms they would still probably have 100's of millions of possible customers.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ah, still an excellent machine; compact, has all the ports including SD card and HDMI, great when I have to test finicky monitors.

All 13-inch rMBPs ever made by Apple have only ever had integrated GPUs.

It's like Apple has decided that they can't ever loving put a dedicated GPU in a 13-inch because it'd cannibalize 15-inch sales, or they don't want to bother trying to engineer a cooling solution for smaller form factors.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Did I somehow forget something????

No, my reading comprehension is hampered by vast amounts of medication and lack of AC working in a satellite office

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

- Steam has a very large library of games that run natively on MacOS. But the vast, vast majority are 32-bit executables, which absolutely will not run at all on MacOS 10.15 when it releases. Don't know what they're gonna do about that.

- It cannot be assumed that just because it runs natively, a MacOS version will outperform Windows 10. A completely different set of APIs and a different OS mean it can go either way, but I would expect 9 times out of 10, Windows 10 will perform equivalent/better.

- A lot of stuff gets ported. Thinking of graphically intensive stuff... Arkham City, Hitman, Civ 6, RotTR, ARK, etc. You really get a broad cross section.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

- Steam has a very large library of games that run natively on MacOS. But the vast, vast majority are 32-bit executables, which absolutely will not run at all on MacOS 10.15 when it releases. Don't know what they're gonna do about that.

- It cannot be assumed that just because it runs natively, a MacOS version will outperform Windows 10. A completely different set of APIs and a different OS mean it can go either way, but I would expect 9 times out of 10, Windows 10 will perform equivalent/better.

- A lot of stuff gets ported. Thinking of graphically intensive stuff... Arkham City, Hitman, Civ 6, RotTR, ARK, etc. You really get a broad cross section.

Yeah, I’m curious about portals and half life. Are they 32 bit?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Luceo posted:

I do some light gaming in MacOS for Civ, KSP, WoW, etc and have a Win7 partition for Skyrim. :v:

I find the instant response of "just build a gaming PC" to people asking about gaming on their Macs to be odd. There's a difference in what people mean by gaming, and my Mac has suited me fine for the games I play. Anything more demanding goes to my PS4, which is way less hassle than a gaming PC.
Well I said it cause the guy that was asking was wanting like "at least 1070" performance or something, it was a suggestion specific to that guy.

Personally I just have a Switch :v:. I have a usable but incomplete PC build waiting for a GPU, but for the price of a GPU I’d rather just get a PS4.

While we're on the topic, anyone bother with trying to game in VMs or Wine/Crossover lately?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ive out: https://www.ft.com/content/947e557a-98a8-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Holy poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He wasn't in the Mac Pro video at WWDC so they must be pushing him out.

eames
May 9, 2009

Eh i wish I knew which recent products were the work of Ive and what was designed by “the team”.

If Ive was responsible for the battery & port anorexia and butterfly keyboards and “the team” designed the new Mac Pro without him then I’m not too sad to see him go. If it’s the other way around then :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

eames posted:

Eh i wish I knew which recent products were the work of Ive and what was designed by “the team”.

If Ive was responsible for the battery & port anorexia and butterfly keyboards and “the team” designed the new Mac Pro without him then I’m not too sad to see him go. If it’s the other way around then :derp:

I can tell you in full confidence that Ive did not design the keyboard mechanism for the MacBook Pro with touchbar. I will not say if he had a hand in the chassis though.