Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Don't think so? But that's like the worst it ever gets I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Minor thing from the current PLL system updates worth mentioning here (even if this isn't a spoiler, the first hour-ish of the PLL is definitely full of spoilers):

When 6.0 comes out, any Class or Job that has XP in between levels, so 3/4ths of the way from 64 to 65, will be set to 0 XP of their current level due to changing XP scaling. So, if you've got a class somewhere in there and don't want to waste it, you might want to push to the next level.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xik posted:

Any way I can stop these pointless messages or at least make them not take up half the screen?

Not in game, there might be a thirdparty plugin that can do it but it never gets that bad other than gathering quests. You're not normally getting a ton of quest items all at once.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I'm glad of the delay, I am just in post Stormblood MSQ so now can definitely get done before EW!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

https://discord.com/channels/141199412423557120/612018792809103381/896173060158271488

:siren::siren::siren: ATTENTION PROSPECTIVE HOME ROOM OWNERS :siren::siren::siren:

FFXIV has a comprehensive housing system with its greatest strength, houses being persistent locations anyone can visit, also being it's greatest weakness since available housing plots are far below player demand.

Each server however also has an equal number of apartment rooms which are less desired, resulting in spots open to anyone interested in entering and experimenting with the housing system.

As part of the CGB discord Housing Decorating contest 5 apartments are being given away this year to entrants on the Primal datacenter who do not have any existing housing already:

quote:

With many new players joining our ranks and exploring the game, we would like to encourage people to try out the player housing system by holding a FREE (yes you heard right) raffle for one of FIVE apartments! If you are one of the lucky winners, we will subsidize the cost of a player apartment (500,000g value) to help you on your way! This raffle is intended for players who DO NOT have any existing housing already.

Click here to enter the apartment raffle!
https://forms.gle/M88xHHPBdtS4RrWA9

Entries are open till NOVEMBER 12th, 2021 at 5:00PM EST.

The housing system is only available to subscribed players and not trial accounts, but if you fit these criteria it's just basically putting your (in game) info into the above google form for a chance at free gil.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

While new players are unlikely to have their own house/room to submit for the rest of the contest there is usually a group tour and then the judging itself, so feel free to attend to see some goon houses/rooms with the owners:

quote:

The wind chills, the leaves turn, and nights grow longer in Eorzea. Adventurers seek shelter from the coming winter warming by the hearth in their homes. With the turn of seasons comes vistors to their personal spaces, and in some cases - cash and prizes!

It's that time again, for the 4th Annual CGB Housing Decorating contest! The past year has seen many changes, including many newcomers to Eorzea! It is once again time to show off your homes and living spaces to everyone!

This year's contest is for ALL RESIDENTS OF THE PRIMAL DATACENTER (sorry, Crystal) and is a bit of something old, and a bit of something new, and hopefully something for everyone.

First things first!

With many new players joining our ranks and exploring the game, we would like to encourage people to try out the player housing system by holding a FREE (yes you heard right) raffle for one of FIVE apartments! If you are one of the lucky winners, we will subsidize the cost of a player apartment (500,000g value) to help you on your way! This raffle is intended for players who DO NOT have any existing housing already.

Click here to enter the apartment raffle!
https://forms.gle/M88xHHPBdtS4RrWA9

RULES:

- Entrants have until NOVEMBER 12th, 2021 at 5:00PM EST to submit their entry/entries in the following form: https://forms.gle/hjDbdab2X7Ptsbaa9.
- All entries must have a guestbook either inside or outside of the residence.
- Players may submit entries to as many categories as they desire.
- Winners will be announced on SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 14th, 2021 at 2:00PM EST at the <<Please Be Careful>> FC House. Winners need not be present to claim prizes.

The contest this year consists of three traditional categories, which are listed here for your convenience:

FC ROOM/APARTMENT CATEGORY
1st Prize - 3,000,000 Gil
2nd Prize - 1,000,000 Gil

SMALL HOUSE CATEGORY

MEDIUM/LARGE HOUSE CATEGORY

SPECIAL CATEGORIES

HOLIDAY THEME - featuring @Rienne [TPT] as Guest Judge
Grand Prize - Any one (1) Mogstation item

What holiday? It's up to you! It can be a specific holiday, or just a general vacation theme like summer break! Strut your best stuff! This category is open to all datacenters!

Good luck to everyone entering, and I look forward to seeing everyone's entry!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Who i really feel bad for with the Endwalker delay are the people holding out for Endwalker release to unlock Stormblood and save $50.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Should I spend time leveling up a crafting class along with my combat class or should I just focus on charging through the MSQs and feature quests?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

CJ posted:

Who i really feel bad for with the Endwalker delay are the people holding out for Endwalker release to unlock Stormblood and save $50.

Its me :smith: although I still have most of Heavensward to work through, and plenty of other classes to work up while I wait.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Goon Boots posted:

Should I spend time leveling up a crafting class along with my combat class or should I just focus on charging through the MSQs and feature quests?

Crafting's best as either a fun side hobby or endgame project. I'd idly keep at least crafter and gatherer going. That way you can access that side of the game and do all the cool side content tied to it, and see if you like it, since there's some great stuff there. Trying to keeping pace so you craft pants when you level up isn't really worth it. If you find the crafting fun feel free to commit though.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Goon Boots posted:

If you want! But there are certain pieces of content unlocked in later plot progression that do give you some extra and very efficient options for leveling crafters/gatherers, so it doesn't hurt to wait either.

Ultimately you can take any crafter from 1-20 or so through vendor materials available at the guilds themselves and on merchants in housing wards, so it does absolutely zero harm to unlock a crafter/gatherer or two and poke at them if you want. If nothing else sometimes it's fun to just go hit some gathering nodes when in a roulette queue or whatever.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Thanks. The reason I ask is that I noticed some things like materia melding were locked behind a crafter level so I was wondering if there might be some more content locked up that way.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Goon Boots posted:

Thanks. The reason I ask is that I noticed some things like materia melding were locked behind a crafter level so I was wondering if there might be some more content locked up that way.

Melding is probably the only thing in that sense, and I think you can just use NPCs for that anyway. Having crafters/gatherer levels have other incidental benefits (like self gear repair, or access to some of the beast tribes in HW and beyond) but you're not blocking yourself from significant feature unlocks if you just sideline that side of your character development.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Every expansion also has a Beast Tribe that can only be interacted with if you’re a crafter or gatherer (Shadowbringers finally makes separate tribes for both), and they’re real handy for leveling professions on the cheap.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Goon Boots posted:

You can meld without having any crafter levels, but you have to do so at a materia melder NPC and pay a small fee (or ask a crafter friend to do it for you, if not on the trial). The benefit that crafters of the right type have is being able to meld for free.

Crafting is very interconnected, with one crafter typically needing materials from all the others. Usually you either do all of the crafters, or none of the crafters. Doing low level crafting can be fun and profitable, if you have time to spare and are into numbers and watching them go up. I have an alt that I'm using to play through the story very slowly with friends in short weekly sessions, and I leveled all the crafters and gatherers to 50 so I could twink the hell out of everyone. I've earned around 1M profit after material costs from selling all the crafted HQ gear I made for crafting log completion that we didn't need.

However, I had the benefit of a main character that could give me some starter materials for the 20-30 stretch, I knew how the systems worked, it was still quite slow, and the money/time is OK but not great by 80 standards. I did it because I wanted the log completion and to meld myself a bunch of fun twink gear, mainly. For the goal of just leveling crafting you ideally wait until later, when you've quested a bit further and unlocked the various faster XP methods: Grand Company turn-ins, Beast Tribe quests, Ishgard Restoration, custom deliveries, etc. Those won't earn you gil or get you gear you can use, but they will get you various misc currencies and are much faster.

I'd suggest taking one crafter from 1-20 or so, ideally one that gets you gear you can use for starting another job or something universally useful like Culinarian. 1-20 is done purely through vendor-bought materials at the crafting guild and takes maybe 30-40 minutes. If doing that makes you think "hey, this looks like it'll be fun and interesting to dive deeper into" then you can pick up gathering and the other crafters and try to figure out how it all fits together, which'll take a good while. If it makes you think "hey, this was boring, I want to go murder poachers and collect goblin cheese" then go back to the MSQ and leave crafter/gather stuff for later.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Also before 15 you can't really judge as you won't have appropriate abilities or gear to make HQ items.

Ideally get access to a materials vendor at a FC house, sit down and spam recipes until 15-ish using vendor mats, then make yourself gear and tools, aiming for HQ but you might make a NQ set first then use that to make HQ. Put materia in your gear and keep it updated every 5-10 levels or so and you're off to the races!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Goon Boots posted:

You can level up all the crafting and gathering classes without actually playing them by fulfilling the daily requests for your Grand Company and the Ixal Beast Tribe. Just buy the stuff they ask for from merchants or the market board; each daily turn-in for a GC nets about a level's worth of XP, or twice that if you turn in the HQ version of the request.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ixal do not care about gatherers, there's some quests that require they be used to get stuff but otherwise you can't get meaningful EXP for them from doing Ixal stuff.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What’s generally considered the fastest way to grind tomestones of allegory? Trying to clear the last bump from 485 to 490 without spending a ton on exarchic gear if I can help it.

E: aside from roulette bonuses, to clarify

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 7, 2021

derra
Dec 29, 2012
My guess is spamming Eden and hoping for 1st time bonus?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Regalingualius posted:

What’s generally considered the fastest way to grind tomestones of allegory? Trying to clear the last bump from 485 to 490 without spending a ton on exarchic gear if I can help it.

E: aside from roulette bonuses, to clarify
Hot tip: buy the cheapest exarchic piece that's of the same 'type' as what you want or divides evenly, e.g. if you want two right-side pieces buy a chest, then turn the chest in for grandeurs and buy both of the right-side pieces as augmented. Here's a screenshot of a spreadsheet I made for prices on my server to show you what I mean. The reason I list a particular item is that was the cheapest of that slot but there was as much as a 500% variation in price for the same slots.

That aside, get on the Centurio Hunts discord and get tagged in your data center's train relay (and maybe S ranks too). A Shadowbringer's hunt train will take about 20 minutes and give you 480 nuts, 360 poetics, 240 allegory, and 120 revelations.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tortolia posted:

Melding is probably the only thing in that sense, and I think you can just use NPCs for that anyway. Having crafters/gatherer levels have other incidental benefits (like self gear repair, or access to some of the beast tribes in HW and beyond) but you're not blocking yourself from significant feature unlocks if you just sideline that side of your character development.

There's one other thing I'd recommend getting a crafter to 15 for, and that's cheap Emperor's New __________ for glamour on a new character. In Vesper Bay there's a merchant that unlocks with a level 15 quest that teaches you glamour prism recipes, and they have all of the invisible glamour items for like 60 Gil each (except the weapon, which is more expensive) whereas they're like 1200 Gil each off the marketboard on my server.

On even a level 50 character that's pennies, but if you want to get an early glam up and running ASAP around level 20, it's out of your range.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I want to start into an MMO again, but I'm conflicted between FF14 with all the hype its getting and the new expansion , or go back to Everquest. I've played both games, and I enjoy both games. I've played EQ for half my life, and FFmmo for a few months a couple years back and thought it was really pretty but too ANIME for my tastes.

I can get over the anime style of the game. But the deciding factor for me on which to play is going to be the state of grouping for levelling for PvE.

What I really enjoy most about EQ is the variety of ways to level. Open-world camps, open-world dungeons, closed dungeons. Being in a zone and having to /shout for group members in the zone to come join you at a camp. Searching for the right classes to run a camp/dungeon with through /global chat or group finding app in the game. Those classes being Unique and defined in their roles. Not just a bunch of hybrid classes that blend together. And most importantly, having enough people online in my level range to group with.

I think a big reason I also quit FF14 last time was because I was playing it on PS4. It wasn't very fun without a keyboard to chat with. I thouroughly enjoy grouping with Goons, friends, and other party members as I level in PvE.
So what I'm looking for in an mmo..
- Open world camps
- open world dungeons
- group focused PvE for levelling
- Classes to be Unique, Defined, and have important roles in encounters. Not just an mmo where you can run groups with 5 rangers and do fine.

I just can't remember how FF14 operated those sorts of things. I never made it to 30 so I never got a chance to explore dungeons in FF14 with groups. So my question to the thread is - does FF14 do all those things I'm looking for well, like EQ does?
If so, I'll definitely try FF14 again before reinstalling EQ for the millionth time.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

100% play EQ, FF14 is basically a jRPG with co-op dungeons and boss fights until you do endgame stuff or open world zones like Eureka or Bozja.

Literally I'd recommend you try FF11 before 14 haha

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, in all honesty, FF14 does not concern itself with open world content at all. It's a pretty railroaded narrative experience, for better or worse.

There's no such thing as a hybrid class because every class is functionally DPS, tanks and healers just have additional functionality to prevent the rest of the party from keeling over when it comes time to start pushing buttons. It's pretty far removed from EQ's sensibilities, from what I've heard of it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hunts and FATEs are about the only open world stuff of note, yeah.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oof, yeah, it basically has none of those things.

Dungeons are all instanced, it adheres strictly to the MMO archetypes (any DPS is as good as any other, same for healers and tanks), there are no builds, and so on.

There are like some corners of the game that might appeal to you, specifically Eureka, Bozja, and the roguelike dungeons (Palace of the Dead and Heaven on High). The former two are like purposefully designed to be more like old MMOs where you're just running around a big area and grouping with strangers. The latter is a place where party composition is more flexible, and matters a lot more when you're going deep, and has a lot more danger involved.

But in general, no, it's just not that kind of game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I would say, genuinely, look into FF11 instead.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, FF11 goons are still reasonably active and answer questions well in their Discord.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Cool thanks for the explanations. I'll check out FF11 because I still like the genre and FF games in general.

But if I'm going to devote some serious time to an mmo, I wanted it to have those things so it looks like its back to EQ for the time being.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

With the current treasure trove event, are the riding maps worth going for? Moving a bit faster is obviously good, but that's another 170 mogstones, only ARR zones where I can already fly and I'm not sure how many more Praetorium runs I can do before losing my mind.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tempest_56 posted:

With the current treasure trove event, are the riding maps worth going for? Moving a bit faster is obviously good, but that's another 170 mogstones, only ARR zones where I can already fly and I'm not sure how many more Praetorium runs I can do before losing my mind.

Not really.

Riding maps only make you move faster on the ground, flying speed is fixed everywhere. So they're, like, a neat thing to have, but not something to lose your mind trying to get.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The riding maps are also easy to get through Allied Seals if you want them. You get a ton of seals from doing Masked Carnivale things on Blue Mage, and from merking any hunt target you come across. No need to spend precious mogtomes on them, or do a ton of Praetorium (eww).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I did the trials to get to Coil of Bahamut, and I'm doing that to collect Moogle Tombstones. My goal is to get the Inferno Jacket, but I don't know there's anything else on that list that's exclusive to the event.

I wanted to ask about retainers: so far, I've only had my retainer store and sell items. Someone mentioned sending them out on ventures, but right now, I only have Thamauturge as a class for them, so I don't know if you can change their class later on (I think I'm also short on Venture coins, since I think you need 40 for something specific). Additionally, is there any reason to deposit money onto your retainer? I get that the money for items they sell is added to their inventory, but there doesn't seem to be any reason you'd give them cash (other than maybe if you hit the limit you can hold). I though maybe you lost money when you died, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The other thing I wanted to ask about was the Chocobo companion. I haven't summoned them much, but part of that is because the game tells you your Chocobo leveling is permanent. Since I'm still a Black Mage currently, the Defender path sounds like the best route, but what do you do if you change classes and want to pick a different specialization?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

So I did the trials to get to Coil of Bahamut, and I'm doing that to collect Moogle Tombstones. My goal is to get the Inferno Jacket, but I don't know there's anything else on that list that's exclusive to the event.

It's the only thing exclusive, but there's a few other things (like some of the mounts) that are annoying to get/only available much later that are neat to have.

quote:

I wanted to ask about retainers: so far, I've only had my retainer store and sell items. Someone mentioned sending them out on ventures, but right now, I only have Thamauturge as a class for them, so I don't know if you can change their class later on (I think I'm also short on Venture coins, since I think you need 40 for something specific). Additionally, is there any reason to deposit money onto your retainer? I get that the money for items they sell is added to their inventory, but there doesn't seem to be any reason you'd give them cash (other than maybe if you hit the limit you can hold). I though maybe you lost money when you died, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You can change their class - general advice is to make them the same as your main job and give them your hand-me-downs. And as best I can tell, no reason for them to retain your gil.

quote:

The other thing I wanted to ask about was the Chocobo companion. I haven't summoned them much, but part of that is because the game tells you your Chocobo leveling is permanent. Since I'm still a Black Mage currently, the Defender path sounds like the best route, but what do you do if you change classes and want to pick a different specialization?

It's sort of permanent (there's an item you can buy to reset them), but that's not really a big deal. Eventually (VERY eventually) they'll max out everything. 165 skill points to max all three trees, and you get 165 skill points by the time it hits rank 20. Summon them all the time if you're in open world stuff, they're literally nothing but a bonus. (I also suggest leveling healer to at least get Choco Cure. It's not much but a 100% free way for any job to heal in a fight is a huge deal.)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Unless things have changed drastically, Tank chocobo is a trap and it can't hold aggro at all so there's no reason not to just use dps or healer.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Someone mentioned sending them out on ventures, but right now, I only have Thamauturge as a class for them, so I don't know if you can change their class later on (I think I'm also short on Venture coins, since I think you need 40 for something specific).

When you summon your retainer, you can use the "Assign Venture" option to send them out on a venture. Retainers have three main types of ventures:
  • Gathering/Hunting Ventures: You send your retainer out to collect a specific item, either from a gathering node (if they're a Disciple of the Land), or something that a monster would normally drop in the field (if they're a Disciple of War/Magic). These take 1 hour.
  • Exploration Ventures: You send your retainer out to obtain a random item appropriate for their level, which can occasionally be something very valuable and unique to Exploration Ventures. These take 18 hours.
  • Quick Venture: Unlocked at level 10. You send your retainer out to obtain a completely random item, varying in value from "total garbage" (low-level crafted materials, fish) to "extremely valuable" (rare Pure White/Jet Black dyes, Primal weapons). These take 1 hour.
When a retainer completes a venture, they gain an amount of EXP that varies with the kind of venture they were sent out on, and can level up just like players do. Early on, you'll mostly want to level with either Exploration Ventures or Gathering/Hunting Ventures, as they consume the fewest Venture marks. Once you have a substantial amount of Ventures, you can burn them on Quick Ventures, which, with good luck, will level up a retainer the fastest. Quick Ventures are also ideal if you're lazy, as you don't need your retainer to meet minimum ilvl requirements like you do to complete Exploration or Gathering/Hunting Ventures, so you can keep them in relatively poor gear and still get them to a high level.

You can change their class/job, but this completely resets their EXP, so it's not recommended unless you really need a specific gathering job on a retainer.

quote:

Additionally, is there any reason to deposit money onto your retainer? I get that the money for items they sell is added to their inventory, but there doesn't seem to be any reason you'd give them cash (other than maybe if you hit the limit you can hold). I though maybe you lost money when you died, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Not really. It's solely there to obtain the gil you get from market sales.

quote:

You can buy a Reagan Pepper from your Grand Company for either 48,000 GC Seals, or 20 Allied seals, which will completely reset the chocobo's SP and allow you to pick new skills. Once your chocobo gets to level 10, however, you can also start to purchase Thavnairian Onions from the Market Board, which will let your chocobo gain an additional level, so it's possible to max out all of their skill trees. I'd personally recommend going with the Healer skill tree to start with, as many jobs lack strong self-healing, so having your chocobo companion out will let you do a lot of FATEs or other battle content in the open world you might otherwise struggle with.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I was thinking of jumping back into FFXIV and really giving it a go this time by snagging a job boost. How does this work with regards to something like Dragoon that has Lancer as a prereq? Will I still have to level Lancer to get the full toolkit? Or what about an xpac class like Samurai or Red Mage- if I get a job boost for one of them do I skip whatever their prereqs are?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I was thinking of jumping back into FFXIV and really giving it a go this time by snagging a job boost. How does this work with regards to something like Dragoon that has Lancer as a prereq? Will I still have to level Lancer to get the full toolkit? Or what about an xpac class like Samurai or Red Mage- if I get a job boost for one of them do I skip whatever their prereqs are?

Yep, paying real money means you get to skip all the work. No need to level lancer or run around doing job quests, you just get dropped in at level 70 with all the proper skills unlocked, and get a coffer with gear in it.

Expansion classes are the same, and don't have extra requirements beyond owning the expansion anyway. The HW classes require you to get to the expansion zone (Ishgard), but the rest are in ARR starter cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

However keep in mind that you still have to do the story and will be leveled down for the dungeons and quests and stuff. So if you are buying a boost just to skip stuff, you'll have to buy story skips as well.