Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Rubies posted:

I'd say they were just throwing it to everyone in my field and seeing if anyone qualified answers, but they should know what I'm all about from my portfolio.

I've had almost exactly this same experience (I do web design/front end dev and get contacted about backend positions semi-frequently), and that's pretty much what always boils down to. Finding qualified people for programming positions is tough so recruiters tend to cast a very wide net without doing a ton of initial research.

No reason not to reply. If it's legitimate at the very worst you'll make a contact with someone at that firm. If it's not legit, you'll have lost nothing except a few moments of your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to move my Wii U out of the living room and in to the computer room, so I actually get some use out of the drat thing (being a hopeless computer/internet junkie/goon, I don't leave the office much). Is there such a thing as an A/V receiver or switcher or whatever they call them now, meant for e.g. computer monitors and their attendant, usually tiny, 3.5mm-jack speakers, as opposed to the usual receivers (big as a house, hot as a desert, meant for home theater 5.1 or whatever systems)?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 17, 2015

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-inc...a+to+3.5+female

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Rubies posted:

I'm over thinking something that happened on LinkedIn today, and wondering if it's common. I got a message from someone saying that they were very impressed by my resume and they want to schedule a call asap so I can interview for a software engineering job. Thats great but I don't have a software engineer resume, I have a Web designer portfolio.

Normally I would assume it was some scam or mlm thing. But it's pretty big company that I've heard of before (not huge but def established), tech related, and the person who contacted me is verified as working there on LinkedIn. I got 3 hits in Google analytics from a location that is 99% certain to be from them, including one today which is after they first contacted me. So it's not like they hit send message to the wrong guy, they've been checking me out specifically.

Now my stuff is good but not revolutionary or anything, and everything I'm reading on glassdoor LI etc is all about the great salaries and perks and poo poo and not to sound negative but I don't think I'm quite there yet :P

I'm gonna reply cause why not but what's the deal? Is this some kind of recruiter trickery or bait and switch? I have a good head for scams and this is again a legit company with an actual product known to many, with no unconventional business model or hiring process.

So between the incorrect info in the interview request email, and the fact that it's a bit beyond the opportunities I usually get, should I be aware of anything? Ignore it? I've been isolated in my little freelancer bubble for a few years so sorry if this is job-seeking 101 :P

Placing someone in a Software Engineering position can earn a recruiter dumb amounts of cash. Like, some places will pay $30K+ for senior positions. $10K isn't unreasonable for a more junior position. Some recruiters take a shotgun approach, and just throw bodies at interviews, hoping that someone will get through. Both Software Engineering and Web Design are programming jobs, right?

Like, as long as you don't give the recruiter personal information like your SSN, the most it can cost you is the time you spend interacting with this dude.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Thanks dudes. I'm just gonna give it a try and see what happens. If they give me a runaround or have me chasing a carrot I'll just say whatever but I guess it can't hurt.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If I were to write a book about a famous athlete (clearly fictional, like a sci-fi thing) would that fall under likeness disputes?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What's a good video recording system to get for five or six IP security cameras (these, to be precise)?

I'm a techie and I've set up IP cameras before, but only for live streaming, and I don't know very much at all about NVRs. Does anyone have a good place to start learning about these systems? (Does there happen to be a thread on the forums for IP video systems?)

e: Would something like a NVR4208 work?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You know how dashboard cameras run all the time, and just overwrite old footage in specific time intervals unless you push a button to save that specific clip?

Is there an app like that for phones? Something I can install that will let me turn on and run my video camera for long stretches of time, overwriting the footage unless I push a button and tell it to save that specific clip?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Powered Descent posted:

What's a good video recording system to get for five or six IP security cameras (these, to be precise)?

I'm a techie and I've set up IP cameras before, but only for live streaming, and I don't know very much at all about NVRs. Does anyone have a good place to start learning about these systems? (Does there happen to be a thread on the forums for IP video systems?)

e: Would something like a NVR4208 work?

I'm looking into something like this for work just now. Someone recommended CaptureSync to me, which has the advantage for my purposes of not requiring a standalone device and therefore a LOT cheaper. But it might not be secure enough for an actual security system.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

computer parts posted:

If I were to write a book about a famous athlete (clearly fictional, like a sci-fi thing) would that fall under likeness disputes?

Try the legal questions thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

They'll probably tell you
A) get a lawyer
B) anyone can sue you for anything and it still costs a bundle to defend yourself even if they have no chance in hell of winning - how chill is this athlete matters a good deal.

I am not a lawyer but I see people do stuff like that all the time on story forums. I imagine publishing and trying to make money off the book exposes you a lot more.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

computer parts posted:

Write, no. Publish, maybe. Why not just write about a fictional character? If the answer is "More people will buy my book about LeBron James being an alien than about some fictional character being an alien" you've got your answer---you're trying to make money off of LeBron James's public image, and he may not like that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Space Jam is already a thing. Sorry. :(

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you can if it's a parody though? So if you write Lebron James is an alien for the purpose of comedy, that's ok.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Turtlicious posted:

I think you can if it's a parody though? So if you write Lebron James is an alien for the purpose of comedy, that's ok.

Doesn't mean they can't sue you

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Let's ask Gronk.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Memento posted:

When it comes to Microsoft Access I don't know poo poo about dick, but I've inherited a database from a former colleague and now it's my responsibility. I've been able to google around and figure out most of the stuff I need to do, but I'm a little stuck on one thing. If I have a text entry box (for example, to search a particular field) is there a way to have some text in that box that disappears when you click into it? What property do I edit for that?

It's been a little while, but you would want to do two functions in Access. You can right click the form/field in edit mode and go to the properties. Then check the Event tab

code:
On FormOpen FieldName.value = "Name"
for the form to load the value "Name" into the text field when the form is first opened - before it loads any other data.

code:
On Click FieldName.value = null
to clear the value "Name" from the text field when you click on it

This is not the exact coding because it's been a while since I've coded in Access, but those should be simple enough to get you started.

EDIT: Just realized that you might have to put a flag on this one, otherwise every time you clicked in the text field, it would clear the box to a null value. Not the end of the world, but kind of annoying. It would be more like:

code:

On FieldName CLICK
IF BoolFlag = False THEN
FieldName.value = Null
BoolFlag = True
END IF
But you have to make sure that you have set your BoolFlag variable to False at FormOpen. There's no reason you can't add that to the FormOpen command above. It's nothing too crazy.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 17, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

How come in a lot of Japanese media the top rank is S? For example I am playing Peacewalker and your mission grade goes S > A > B > C etc.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How many people using the same login can stream stuff on HBO GO at the same time? So for example if I share my info with my parents can we both watch something? Can my mom and dad both watch different stuff at the same time I'm watching something?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

How come in a lot of Japanese media the top rank is S? For example I am playing Peacewalker and your mission grade goes S > A > B > C etc.

It's just to indicate better than A. Some claim it's meant to stand for Super.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's just to indicate better than A. Some claim it's meant to stand for Super.

What are you saiyan here?

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I have seen the lovely kickstarter projects thread, is there an equivalent *good* kickstarter projects list?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

errol _flynn posted:

I have seen the lovely kickstarter projects thread, is there an equivalent *good* kickstarter projects list?

I think in PYF

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Spanish Manlove posted:

How many people using the same login can stream stuff on HBO GO at the same time? So for example if I share my info with my parents can we both watch something? Can my mom and dad both watch different stuff at the same time I'm watching something?

HBO says that "All members of a household can watch HBO GO at the same time," and seem kinda cagey about giving out a number. This probably means that there's a manual override, and they can set the number per-account, and don't want you to know about it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i can't find anything definitive, and this is going to sound maybe a bit crazy, but do listerine cool mint strips contain caffeine? obviously i found the list of ingredients, but i'm not sure if any of those contain caffeine or not.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Xandu posted:

I think in PYF

OK, thanks I'll look there, then!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Abel Wingnut posted:

i can't find anything definitive, and this is going to sound maybe a bit crazy, but do listerine cool mint strips contain caffeine? obviously i found the list of ingredients, but i'm not sure if any of those contain caffeine or not.

Can't see anything in the ingredients listed on ingredientpal.com that contains caffeine. I assume green 3 is a colour and the list I saw mentions aroma/flavour but that's not much help.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Abel Wingnut posted:

Are you thinking of a different product?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a green tea about the same price/quality point as Tazo, but without the lemongrass?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a green tea about the same price/quality point as Tazo, but without the lemongrass?

Probably definitely yes. Hit up the tea thread in gws/something offal http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437984

Though it'd help to get specific. Do you want to brew it yourself or but it pre bottled? Argo tea has some nice flavors though I'm not sure if they fixed their improper bottling that results in moldy tea. Adagio.com is agood place to stay for inexpensive loose leaf stuff. Lastly, stay away from teavana as they overprice everything and sometimes sell tea with more twos than leaves.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On the most recent Astronomy Cast, while talking about the products of fission, Pamela kept saying something that sounded like "nucleotides" in reference to the child isotopes created during the fission process. The only nucleotides I know of are in DNA. What is the word she was using (or meant to use)?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

On the most recent Astronomy Cast, while talking about the products of fission, Pamela kept saying something that sounded like "nucleotides" in reference to the child isotopes created during the fission process. The only nucleotides I know of are in DNA. What is the word she was using (or meant to use)?

Nuclides

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclide

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have my thermostat set to 86 F while I'm at work, and at 77 when I'm home. When it ticks over, about an hour before I get home ('round about 5 PM) it's about 100-105 outside. It takes about three more hours for it to actually reach 77F; until then it's running full tilt. After that it's running about 50% of the time. On days when I get home early, this means I'm sweating like a hog indoors for a few hours. It doesn't really cool down outside until around 7 PM, and even then never below 80 degrees or so.

At these kinds of conditions, is it really even saving me any money to let the temperature rise during the day? It seems like the AC running at absolute full tilt for several hours ruins any savings I'd get from it running at half-tilt during the day. (I know at more reasonable temperatures / quality of home cooling, it's always a savings to let it off during the day, but I wonder if the math breaks down in my conditions.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 19, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ciaphas posted:

I have my thermostat set to 86 F while I'm at work, and at 77 when I'm home. When it ticks over, about an hour before I get home ('round about 5 PM) it's about 100-105 outside. It takes about three more hours for it to actually reach 77F; until then it's running full tilt. After that it's running about 50% of the time. On days when I get home early, this means I'm sweating like a hog indoors for a few hours. It doesn't really cool down outside until around 7 PM, and even then never below 80 degrees or so.

At these kinds of conditions, is it really even saving me any money to let the temperature rise during the day? It seems like the AC running at absolute full tilt for several hours ruins any savings I'd get from it running at half-tilt during the day. (I know at more reasonable temperatures / quality of home cooling, it's always a savings to let it off during the day, but I feel like the math breaks down in my conditions.)

You can probably save more money by lowering the temperature you'll let it be during the day, so that it'll be closer to what you want when you get home. It should only run in a few more bursts during the day, and the rampdown to night time temp should be much shorter.

You're already letting your coolest temp be 77, so you're already saving a good deal of power to start with.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
1. When flying in the U.S., can I pack alcoholic beverages in my checked luggage?

2. Is there any risk that bottles and cans of alcohol may explode in my checked luggage due to temperature or air pressure voodoo?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Raimundus posted:

1. When flying in the U.S., can I pack alcoholic beverages in my checked luggage?

2. Is there any risk that bottles and cans of alcohol may explode in my checked luggage due to temperature or air pressure voodoo?

1) Yes but read here for restrictions: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/alcoholic-beverages

2) No but they could break if they are in glass and not packed well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raimundus posted:

For 1, "According to the FAA, there are no limits on how much alcohol you can pack in your checked luggage if the alcohol by volume is less than 24 percent (generally beer and wine). Between 24 and 70 percent, however, the FAA limits passengers to 5 liters."

For 2, that's not likely to happen unless something is going horribly wrong with the flight in general.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Haha, of course fishmech knows the answer to this random thing.

Raimundus posted:

I didn't have a problem flying with a bottle or two of wine. I padded them well and put them in the middle of my checked luggage.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can probably save more money by lowering the temperature you'll let it be during the day, so that it'll be closer to what you want when you get home. It should only run in a few more bursts during the day, and the rampdown to night time temp should be much shorter.

You're already letting your coolest temp be 77, so you're already saving a good deal of power to start with.

I'll try that, thanks. It'd be nice if I could get one of those fancy new thermostats that give you usage information and stuff, but being in an apartment kinda precludes that :(

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
So I can safely bring a 6-pack or a couple of pints of rare beer across the country. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
As you have probably heard by now, Donald Trump raised a stink by using Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" to launch his presidential campaign. Trump says he paid ASCAP the licensing fee to use the song, but Young disagrees.

What is the law concerning this? Did Trump need to get Young's permission?