Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I kinda liked how IVs made individual pokemon feel unique and I think going into PVP and just flattening it kinda ruins that.
But also hyper training is pretty easy nowadays right? Getting a 31 IV isn't the multiday slog it used to be involving multiple breedings. They just need a way to also make an IV 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Nanigans posted:

But please, continue to tell me my personal opinion is wrong.

lmao

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Filthy Haiku posted:

I love the way garchomp is peeking out from behind her as if to say "You want I should mess 'em up boss?" :3:

She's the only one capable of holding that garchomp back

Not that she makes a habit of it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every other post in this thread for the last two pages has been you rushing to go ',Nuh Uh!' To anyone even mildly going 'Yeah this wasn't good.

The only person taking this brand slandering personally is you. Please stop.

You really don't have to try to start the argument back up again.

Nanigans posted:

I love product! It must suck to be a hater of product!

And you really don't have to continue it. Both of you can just let it go.

Drop this stupid slapfight so everyone else can go back to talking about Pokemon games.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
This is even worse than my derail from a few days ago.

Anyway, if you want to get drat near anything you want from GTS, show up with a White Flower Florges. I've gotten quite a few legendaries and shinies over the last few days. Unfortunately I'm running out of usable shiny stones. Might start actually playing SM/USUM again to build up a stock, but will wait and see whether the DP remakes and/or Legends make Florges more accessible.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Why would you care about balls for competitive? They’re all soulless husks anyway, no better than a rental. Even if they’re not an outright clones they’re an abomination of generations of incest at a factory farm who exists solely to cheese the game. Way I see it if you’re not going to use the team you actually had an adventure with and grew attached to what’s even the point? Honestly I don’t see why if they can set levels to 50 for postgame facilities they can’t set IV’s too.

The main reason is that I see the main game and competitive as two separate games. The main game is my chill out adventure where I catch and use whatever I feel like without caring much at all about IVs and such, while with competitive it's more like a strategy game like chess. And I like having cool looking balls for my mons for the same reason someone would use a fancy chess set over a basic plastic black and white set. Literally just because it looks nicer to me aesthetically. But 90% of the mons I use for competitive I breed or catch myself, it's just version specific legendaries and similar that I gen for competitive.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

HootTheOwl posted:

I kinda liked how IVs made individual pokemon feel unique and I think going into PVP and just flattening it kinda ruins that.
But also hyper training is pretty easy nowadays right? Getting a 31 IV isn't the multiday slog it used to be involving multiple breedings. They just need a way to also make an IV 0.

Bottle Caps aren’t totally inconsequential to get, but getting something to level 100 to be able to Hyper Train is trivial, yeah.

Raising a newly caught mon to be battle ready takes minutes instead of hours/days like before, assuming you caught one with the right Ability (even though that’s not too hard to change) and Nature (also not too bad.)

You get so many Exp candies that getting to Level 100 takes like five seconds. Then it’s just a matter of buying Vitamins, even cheaper if you upgrade the dojo, to EV train. Get the TMs/TRs you probably already have for moves.

The only fly in the ointment would be if you need Egg moves, but even then, the Egg charm helps a bit there. They’ve made it probably as easy as possible short of just giving you an Editor option. Except for Hidden Abilities. gently caress you and your 200 Dynite Ore Ability Patches, Game Freak! :argh:

I’ve taken my in-game team and made them all indistinguishable from what I would use in Pokémon Showdown because of all of the QoL stuff they’ve added.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Raylax posted:

Today is a good day

I'm not usually one for anime/gaming figs but I love gen 4 and Cynthia fuckin rules

My girlfriend’s birthday was over the weekend, so I got her a Bandai Model Kit Quick!! of Mew, and it looks really nice. Pokemon look good just sitting around the house.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HootTheOwl posted:

IVs have three major problems that sabotage the whole system. First is that there is no single total a Pokémon can have. Meaning that there can be a wild range of power between individuals and, outside a very few specific situations, there is no motivation not to want everything maxed.

Second is that Pokémon are still bound by their species stats and moves. Even if your Alakazam got the best Attack IVs possible, there would still be no reason to ever give it a physical attack because it will never be good with it. Pokémon just aren’t that customizable individually. You always want to go with their species’ strengths whenever possible.

Third, you have no in-game way to tell your IVs specifically. You have to rely on either vague statements from an in-game character or use out of game calculations. Even if you do find out, you usually can’t do anything about them. If your Pokémon has bad IVs for what its species needs, sucks for it. Toss it out and try again. Your Pokémon may be attached to you, but it doesn’t matter because it just happened to born destined to be a loser.

This is why I don’t like the system. The idea of making the Pokémon unique individuals sounds fine, but just ends up making born winners to raise and losers not to bother with, which flies in the face of what the series claims to stand for.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
I wonder if expanding the characteristicsand marks into a secondary stat boost would be a fine trade for reducing IVs to just 0 and 31.
You get your pokemon instance-individuality, your flexibility in choosing whether Lucario is physical or Special, and a more likely time of having good mons (should you not roll the Oops! All Zeros) instead of an iv spread of 10s and 20s

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 5, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The flaw with “But it’s so easy to fix your Pokémon now” is that only applies to SwSh. That doesn’t help me with the Battle Frontier or the PWT.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Geostomp posted:

IVs have three major problems that sabotage the whole system. First is that there is no single total a Pokémon can have. Meaning that there can be a wild range of power between individuals and, outside a very few specific situations, there is no motivation not to want everything maxed.

Second is that Pokémon are still bound by their species stats and moves. Even if your Alakazam got the best Attack IVs possible, there would still be no reason to ever give it a physical attack because it will never be good with it. Pokémon just aren’t that customizable individually. You always want to go with their species’ strengths whenever possible.

Third, you have no in-game way to tell your IVs specifically. You have to rely on either vague statements from an in-game character or use out of game calculations. Even if you do find out, you usually can’t do anything about them. If your Pokémon has bad IVs for what its species needs, sucks for it. Toss it out and try again. Your Pokémon may be attached to you, but it doesn’t matter because it just happened to born destined to be a loser.

This is why I don’t like the system. The idea of making the Pokémon unique individuals sounds fine, but just ends up making born winners to raise and losers not to bother with, which flies in the face of what the series claims to stand for.
If youre losing the ingame stuff bc of ivs its you thats bad, sorry

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I wish they’d implement the Hard Mode from B2W2 again, but make it available from the start and better than the half-assed option they made there.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Any of you goons owns LG Pikachu? I need three of the version exclusives from there in my LG Eevee game (Grimer, Mankey, Oddish). I'll help you with whatever else ails you in return.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

1) I would argue that since, as you yourself said, the most important IV value is max there is a defined stat total (or more narrow stat range than you think) for each Pokemon.

2) Yes, good. That's the point of building a Pokemon team. You consider each Pokemon as a team member, not as an individual. If each Pokemon could surpass their base stats that would simplify team building even more.

3) Max IVs only truly matter for high end optional gameplay. You do not need to fuss with it if all you want to do is complete the story and collect them all. Max IVs only have that value when at lvl 100, so at much lower levels (like, say, the main campaign) the stat variance is much smaller.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Geostomp posted:

1) Isn't that self defeating? If everyone is going to be maxed out that is then a single total a pokemon will have?
2) If there's no difference then who cares?
3) There is now, after you beat the game (or earlier, I don't remember) you get the ability to judge pokemon and it lets you see their IV and EV spreads. Also hyper training means you can just turn a 0/0/0/0/0/0 pokemon into a 6IV highest potential.
This point just isn't true anymore in the current generation.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have actively resisted learning anything about IVs and I'll be goddamned if I stop now

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nanigans posted:

I wish they’d implement the Hard Mode from B2W2 again, but make it available from the start and better than the half-assed option they made there.
Hard Mode kicks rear end and it's the main reason I got both B2 and W2

the only downside is that ghetsis is no longer a massive cheater with an underleveled hydreigon, but it's a small price to pay

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
God I loved hard mode in BW2. Yeah, do that again. Don't lock it behind the world's stupidest unlock system either

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaziken386 posted:

Hard Mode kicks rear end and it's the main reason I got both B2 and W2

the only downside is that ghetsis is no longer a massive cheater with an underleveled hydreigon, but it's a small price to pay

My old man brain is on a roll. I remembered Challenge Mode just having higher levels, but looks like they also added better AI, more Pokémon on the Gym Leaders’ teams and even hold items. That’s basically perfect.

I feel like the people who grew up playing Pokémon are making the games now. Maybe Masuda will allow them to implement this now that the average Pokémon player age is at least late teens/early 20s. We can handle Challenge Mode.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HootTheOwl posted:

1) Isn't that self defeating? If everyone is going to be maxed out that is then a single total a pokemon will have?
well, if you compare to EVs, with EVs you can only have so many period. you can't have max EVs in every stat-you can at most max 2 stats, so you have to pick what stats to raise and what stats to leave behind, you can't have it all. you actually have to choose between them and make a 'build', so to speak.

IVs are not like that because they can all be maxed, so there's(normally) no opportunity cost, which is a lot less interesting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I do find it hilarious that the speedrun for Hard Mode is faster, easier and safer than the speedrun of normal B2/W2. And that the easy mode one is the longest and most difficult.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Any of you goons owns LG Pikachu? I need three of the version exclusives from there in my LG Eevee game (Grimer, Mankey, Oddish). I'll help you with whatever else ails you in return.

I have it, and -I think- I have those. I haven't played for a few years. But I can help if you still need them.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Okay, what the hell?

How do I get Pokémon Bank to recognize the Furfrou haircuts from Ultra Sun? They keep reverting to the normal cut every time. For the record, my Pokédex in Bank does have the different forms registered, so it's doubly bizarre.

I want to transfer them from Bank to Home.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

Okay, what the hell?

How do I get Pokémon Bank to recognize the Furfrou haircuts from Ultra Sun? They keep reverting to the normal cut every time. For the record, my Pokédex in Bank does have the different forms registered, so it's doubly bizarre.

From what I understand, you can only get the haircuts into Home from Go.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nanigans posted:

Okay, what the hell?

Home was updated to recognize the Furfrou haircuts.

Bank never was.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hrist posted:

I have it, and -I think- I have those. I haven't played for a few years. But I can help if you still need them.

Thanks. I posted the above after I had already tried unsuccessfully on our Discord and even reddit's pokemon trading one. But a couple of hours ago, shenks from our Discord replied to the message there and helped out, so I'm all done (finally).

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

MorningMoon posted:

Home was updated to recognize the Furfrou haircuts.

Bank never was.

This sucks. Yeah, I have all the forms registered in Home, but they're not actually there. Which is useless for trading purposes.

Anyone mind trading me a Spectrier/Glastrier, Zarude and Regidrago/Regileki and back? I just need them for the 'dex entries.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Nanigans posted:

The only fly in the ointment would be if you need Egg moves, but even then, the Egg charm helps a bit there. They’ve made it probably as easy as possible short of just giving you an Editor option. Except for Hidden Abilities. gently caress you and your 200 Dynite Ore Ability Patches, Game Freak! :argh:

I guess getting egg moves onto a species in the first place can still be tricky, but with horizontal transfer you can now get any combination of egg moves with little more trouble than any individual one

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nanigans posted:

I expect more cute monsters and cool battle mechanics and cool clothes and fun characters. I got that with SwSh. Doesn’t make me a blind follower. What bothers y’all is inconsequential to me. I don’t care about draw distance or online play.

Basically:

Then you wouldn't need to respond to other people's valid and legitimate complaints.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I really wish they'd take a bit of liberties with the remakes to refresh and improve things, its what made HGSS such a treat. Like, they straight up added new areas and features like the new version of the Safari Zone you get access to halfway through Johto that lets you get access to a bunch of pokes much earlier then in G/S, IIRC.

SD/BP feel like they're playing it fairly safe I think? Like beyond the HM thing.

And even for some of the things they wanted to keep similar, like the music, where they added the option in postgame to allow people to swap between certain tracks. They really hit the best of both worlds.

Other than fixing the level curve I suppose, but that's hard to gently caress with given the nature of the routes. All Johto routes are really short in length, so you can only fit so many trainers on it, and only get so much exp as a result. I think the longest routes between towns are probably Violet -> Azalea, Mahogany -> Blackthorn, and I suppose the water route between Olivine -> Cianwood just because of the lighthouse + water route. And none of those routes ever feel like Pewter to Ceruealn, or going through Rock Tunnel or idk.

A lot of that is my issue with the X/Y and later games, the length between locations is short and there's nothing to any of the cities. I mean, Pokemon is one of the few RPGs where all the cities and towns are really shallow to begin with. (I remember as a kid wondering what the gently caress would ever happen with the Machop in Vermillion, and then that doesn't even get resolved in GS, LGFR, or HGSS.) But goddamn, after BW it feels like it gets more shallow and optional areas get more restricted and whatever. Whatever. None of this matters.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
They updated the Pokemon Home mobile app, to fix a bug... pity they haven't fixed it hanging all the time.

Those newsletters with the Zarude and Celebi are supposed to go out today. Haven't got mine yet.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hammerite posted:

They updated the Pokemon Home mobile app, to fix a bug...

Which one? There's like 85 of the lil guys :mmmhmm:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hammerite posted:

Those newsletters with the Zarude and Celebi are supposed to go out today. Haven't got mine yet.

None of them have been sent out yet. It'll probably be the afternoon in Eastern time zone before they go out. Interns need their morning do nothing time before they click the auto generate buttons.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Next episode of Pokemon Evolutions is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4TNqOlTY0M

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I liked the Generations one covering him better, but goddamn that lineart is spectacular. Big lol at the battle.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

I liked the Generations one covering him better, but goddamn that lineart is spectacular. Big lol at the battle.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve watched the Generations shorts. Are they good?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve watched the Generations shorts. Are they good?

I'm one of the grumpiest people online you'll see about them, but like a little under half of them are great. The one about Lysandre is about him seething on the inside as he keeps up the charismatic CEO persona. They're short enough that you should just give 'em a go.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're comfy and easy to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

I'm one of the grumpiest people online you'll see about them, but like a little under half of them are great. The one about Lysandre is about him seething on the inside as he keeps up the charismatic CEO persona. They're short enough that you should just give 'em a go.

So they’re roughly the same length as the average Twilight Wings and Evolutions episode then?