Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Who do I angrily tweet at in broken Japanese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He throws out actual punches in his Designated Martial Arts Fights. Otherwise it's JIGEN HAOH RYUU all day every day.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I believe that he was actually using forward thrusters to apply brakes to the backpack which would let him separate but maintain his current momentum on his suit, which he then used to get into his opponent's blind spot while he was busy shooting the backpack

How did he end up so high in the air though?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Who gives a poo poo?

Alternatively: Particles

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pureauthor posted:

The fight would be like 33% better if they just didn't feel the need to scream 'JIGEN HAOH RYU' just before they do the move.

Yes, we get it. You studied at Jigen Haoh. We know

Do you know that you are watching anime

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Blockhouse posted:

Shimon didn't feel the need to yell out the name of whatever boxing style he used every punch! Really wish he was the team's "Ace" instead of sekai.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blockhouse posted:

Did Sei scream 'IORI MODELLING SHOP!' every time he did something?

... In retrospect, that might have been funny to see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do think that the overuse of Jigen Haoh makes it kind of boring. It doesn't feel like Sekai is using a finisher, just that he's constantly spamming them like a SRW character. Junya's not any great shakes but him moving into a Dempsy Roll or other attacks makes him feel less like he's waiting to hit 150 morale.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pureauthor posted:

Did Sei scream 'IORI MODELLING SHOP!' every time he did something?

... In retrospect, that might have been funny to see.

Sei was not a martial artist in a kid's anime

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I bet Junya learned boxing from flipping through Ippo.

I mean Liver Blow > Gazelle Punch > Dempsey Roll? Next he'll be screaming about YAMATO DAMASHII and using his secret technique: punch harder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I mean Liver Blow > Gazelle Punch > Dempsey Roll? Next he'll be screaming about YAMATO DAMASHII and using his secret technique: punch harder.

Don't be ridiculous.

Sekai's master never taught him that final secret technique.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Well... That was an episode. I mean it could've been worse, Imp's prediction from last week about Junya stealing some Build Burning parts to make his Gundam could've happened.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

TARDISman posted:

Well... That was an episode. I mean it could've been worse, Imp's prediction from last week about Junya stealing some Build Burning parts to make his Gundam could've happened.

At least then he would have an excuse to have a Sei-Iori-Level gunpla, instead he just made his own that is on the same level with all the same abilities.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That would have made things better actually because now Junya just got evil Build Burning from straight out of his rear end.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Given that Build Burning showed up a few years ago in a tournament, and that the team captain apparently pulled all the stops to get him a world-class machine, I imagine it was made by some high level builder mimicking Sei and Junya tuned it up to fit his fighting style like Try Fighters did with the Build Burning.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Even by shounen standards the balance between normal punching and actual special move is ridiculous. Even goddamn Domon, who despite having multiple over the course of his series only ended fights with them, or countered something.

Sekai ia basically the rear end in a top hat player in any fighting game who only uses quartercircle punch

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Yosuke posted:

Even by shounen standards the balance between normal punching and actual special move is ridiculous. Even goddamn Domon, who despite having multiple over the course of his series only ended fights with them, or countered something.

Sekai ia basically the rear end in a top hat player in any fighting game who only uses quartercircle punch

And then gets his poo poo beat in because he doesn't know how to use any of his normals.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

everythingWasBees posted:

And then gets his poo poo beat in because he doesn't know how to use any of his normals.
"Come on, Sekai! Do you even dash cancel?"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Imagine Sekai getting Dempsey rolled forever

I will guess in a shocking twist that Sekai will start using moves of those he fought and/or those he had the fist feelings with

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

On the plus side, next week is almost guaranteed to have a high animation budget so Sekai will actually start busting out regular punches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

On the plus side, next week is almost guaranteed to have a high animation budget so Sekai will actually start busting out regular punches.

That makes me want to see a show where the robot's power source is budget and they can only fight at maximum effectiveness when the budget level is high.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Rename Morale to Budget and that's Super Robot Wars.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

ImpAtom posted:

That makes me want to see a show where the robot's power source is budget and they can only fight at maximum effectiveness when the budget level is high.

...Daiguard? :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't that Dai-Guard?

E: hahaha.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean in a meta-context.

The protagonists are forced to stand around all day never moving just to make sure they have the budget for their next fight. The organization that runs them desperately keeps trying to appeal to different audiences in order to have enough viewers to afford to use the new finishing move since the stock footage for the old one isn't powerful enough anymore.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
How sad on my behalf is, as soon as the episode ended I correctly predicted every impatom post.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've never heard of the abulhool before, so I thought it was some builder's attempt at macross gunpla.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, at first I thought it was some matter of valkyrie till I read it here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I've never heard of the abulhool before, so I thought it was some builder's attempt at macross gunpla.

Well, it kind of is, but in this case, the builder was an official mechanical designer. :v:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Fumina's win was funny, but I'm sad we're back to 1v1s unless they just go for a 3v1 next week to finish off Junya (It would be fantastic). Sekai vs Junya is already boring.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I just wish Domon the master would show up and teach Sekai the Sekiha Tenkyouken already.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SpazmasterX posted:

I just wish Domon the master would show up and teach Sekai the Sekiha Tenkyouken already.

He'll show up in the penultimate episode to teach him the ultimate technique: a normal punch. His opponents will be so used to him announcing every single attack they'll never actually expect him to attack without saying what he's doing first. No speed lines, no dramatic musical cues, no exaggerated stylistic effects, nothing - just a run of the mill, regular ol' punch.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 18, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I kind of wish they had gone full Domon with Sekai from the start and have him get into Gunpla to find out what happened to Junya. It would have given him an actual reason to get involved in Toy Fighting and given him some actual stimulus as a character. I can just imagine him popping up in front of someone he's beating at Gunpla with a torn photograph. "Have you seen this man???"

Episode was okay, though not super great.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I do think that the overuse of Jigen Haoh makes it kind of boring. It doesn't feel like Sekai is using a finisher, just that he's constantly spamming them like a SRW character. Junya's not any great shakes but him moving into a Dempsy Roll or other attacks makes him feel less like he's waiting to hit 150 morale.
This is pretty much my complaint with Sekai. I get that he's supposed to be the Dense Shounen Protagonist, but good lord has he run his martial arts gimmick so far into the ground that molten rock is spewing out and he's staring at the Earth's core. But what hurts it more is that both of his teammates have had very good character turn arounds while he's developed very little. Yuuma is no longer dealing with fears over Gunpla Battle and is enjoying it again, while Fumina has moved from being depressed over being alone in Gunpla Battle to a competent builder and fighter. Hell, today's battle was a nice call back to her fight with Lady, where she could barely handle the raw power Winning's initial parts. Here, she used her beam cannon leg and actually didn't double-over in recoil because it was scaled for her Star Winning instead of Yuuma's Lightning. Plus, she managed to fool the guy going for the smart move of "defeat the transforming Gunpla while it is transforming" by using her transformation gimmicks in a neat way. I got to give props to that.

But what about Sekai? All he did was give his sister a moment where she (not him) could be fleshed out further, and acted pretty much the same as he has acted in the past. This is episode 19 of a 25/26 episode series. We are roughly 75% done with the show, and how has Sekai grown as a character in that time? He's learned Gunpla and picked up this (very poorly defined) plot power of Assimilation, also he's a martial artist. That's it. Unless the next several episodes are going to be an avalanche of character development for Sekai, he will continue to be the biggest issue with the show's leads.

As for Junya, please do not use Totally Not Lambda Driver Asspull BullshitTM next time, thanks.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Viewers complained about the Build Knuckle being the finish to every match, so to compensate JIGEN HAOH RYUU will be used throughout the entire match. Constantly.

Truly a monkey's paw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

How sad on my behalf is, as soon as the episode ended I correctly predicted every impatom post.

Oh no, I have consistent opinions. I am a terrible person and should be ashamed.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, at first I thought it was some matter of valkyrie till I read it here.

The name is actually the Abulhool Plus so I think it may be a combination of that and a Valkyrie ref.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I got some shades of the regional final/Battle at Solomon or whatever it was during this fight. I mean, besides two of the rivals being much less characterized. Jigen Haoh appears useless, and Sekai seems to be in more than a little trouble as a result.

The other difference is obviously that Yuuma and Fumina are still in fully operable condition. My hope for the next episode would be a somewhat similar conclusion to the regional final's, where the Try Fighters win by being a team, as was said earlier in the thread, except more so than last time. It will almost definitely involve an "I can feel your intentions through your fist!" followed by denial and anger from Junya. Also blah blah about Sekai's phoenix attack. But I think the fight is still salvageable, even if Sekai's character growth may not be.

Maybe Sekai will even ask for Yuuma and Fumina to help; I'd like that a lot.

Can I add that Fumina reacted to seeing Yuuma getting mugged fairly sensibly? She went to Sekai because she knew where he was and that he could probably manage to defend Yuuma. Even if Ramba Ral and the Kawaguchis wound up saving Sekai in turn, I thought it was pretty neat. :shobon:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I still have faith in the show, even if this episode wasn't great or that Sekai can be boring. They really should have gone full G Gundam in this fight, though, with ridiculously impossible flurries of punches and kicks for this fight, like they briefly did with Sekai vs Wilfrid.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Should have had the spin fist move and the tornado move clash imo

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
This episode did it for me. I didn't think it could happen but Sekai has managed to displace Kio as my least favourite gundam protagonist. Kio was aggressively terrible but Sekai is just a black hole that absorbs any chances of something interesting happening around him and he bores me to death. The worst thing that a show can do is make the audience not care what happens and right now they have managed to make me not care about anything that happens with the main character, I might vaguely give a poo poo about his inevitable fight with Wilfrid but that's just cause Wilfrid's a cool guy and their previous fight turning into "HOLY gently caress YOU'RE AWESOME!" "YOU TOO!" while they punched at each other is the closest I came to liking something Sekai did.

Kio infuriated me but at least that's an emotional response, whenever Sekai does stuff I just feel drained. A show with Tryon 3 using eye beams to headshot King J-Der and our Lord and meijin descending from the heavens to bring salvation to the gunpla managing to do that is pretty damning.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 19, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zwingley posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I still have faith in the show, even if this episode wasn't great or that Sekai can be boring.

I had the opposite reaction and this episode has pretty much killed my faith in the show, because they set up an interesting and dramatic situation with Yuuma at the finale of the last episode and resolved it in the most boring way possible, then followed that up with a really, really boring fight. At least, boring for what is supposed to be the main focus: Sekai. Fumina's finishing with the transformation attacks was really cool, as was the Abulhool doing a cobra. Other than that though, dull as poo poo. My faith in the show has been dwindling for a while now, despite still enjoying some aspects of it, but this episode I considered turning it off because the resolution to the previous episode was so mind-numbingly stupid from a writing perspective. Especially in conjunction with the really cliche and contrived nature of Junya's flashback. I cannot honestly conceive of how someone could look at the ending to the last episode and decide that just having everyone walk away after some harsh words with no consequence beyond revealing Junya's presence to Sekai was a fitting conclusion to that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

In Build Fighters you got the feeling (and were often shown) that the other contenders in the quarter/semi finals were serious business and great matches. But in Try we just keep getting quick glimpses of one sided chump matches like Team GN vs who cares and TRYON3 taking out another "mobile armor" in one shot.

:(

• Locked thread