Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqeN6hj4dZU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i want to play more mgsv

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Improbable Lobster posted:

i want to play more mgsv

the metal gear online data does not appear to actually be online yet lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can people who haven't played metal gear solid stop thinking mother base coins are funny.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can people who haven't played metal gear solid stop thinking mother base coins are funny.

it's p funny imo that mgo is getting a f2p currency that actually affects gameplay the day after people were bitching about destiny's cosmetic dlc, sorry op

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't stop thinking that letting you pay to ignore a feature of the game is funny, no

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

I can't stop thinking that letting you pay to ignore a feature of the game is funny, no

What feature? Waiting for time to tick down while you upgrade your base? It's almost cosmetic in its insignificance wrt to gameplay.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What feature? Waiting for time to tick down while you upgrade your base? It's almost cosmetic in its insignificance wrt to gameplay.

isn't that literally how clash of clans/game of war/etc work?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

I couldnt stop thinking about this so welp.

every time somebody shoots d-dog i say exactly this as i murder them

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Notorious QIG posted:

isn't that literally how clash of clans/game of war/etc work?

I've never played them, but I guarantee that you aren't prevented from playing the game because you're researching/building. You have to do that in the main game and it never prevents you from doing anything and there's no way to skip it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdQkJWfFDdM

games

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

sorry guys but knucs right. mb coins are meaningless

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I've never played them, but I guarantee that you aren't prevented from playing the game because you're researching/building. You have to do that in the main game and it never prevents you from doing anything and there's no way to skip it.

from what ive heard you set up buildings to build and they take X number of irl hours but you can buy currency to expedite that. while you wait you can still play the game proper which involves raiding other people's bases

this sounds identical to what konami is talking about lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the closest thing would be the fob insurance stuff, but i can't laugh at that after stat citizen raised millions of dollars on fake spaceship insurance

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ayn rand hand job posted:

the closest thing would be the fob insurance stuff, but i can't laugh at that after stat citizen raised millions of dollars on fake spaceship insurance

yeah that's what I meant. as I understand it insurance makes ignoring an invasion almost entirely free of consequence

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Notorious QIG posted:

from what ive heard you set up buildings to build and they take X number of irl hours but you can buy currency to expedite that. while you wait you can still play the game proper which involves raiding other people's bases

this sounds identical to what konami is talking about lol

You don't even know what building bases does.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You don't even know what building bases does.

presumably it gives you various bonuses in the field and produces income and weapons and stuff like that

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Notorious QIG posted:

presumably it gives you various bonuses in the field and produces income and weapons and stuff like that

it doesn't

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

what does it do then?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you should've embedded the original video instead of some rip off reupload

the poor guy needs his ad revenue, he's homeless now

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

pseudorandom name posted:

you should've embedded the original video instead of some rip off reupload

the poor guy needs his ad revenue, he's homeless now

this is the first version i found :shrug:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

yeah that's what I meant. as I understand it insurance makes ignoring an invasion almost entirely free of consequence

you are probably going to be ignoring invasions anyway tbh

unless an opponent stealths it, you can beef your security up to the point where its nigh impossible for a dude to infiltrate successfully

and starting with the latest patch, if an enemy does a perfect stealth infiltration, you won't know about it until after he does it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never got to the point where I get my free fob. can an invader steal enough stuff to seriously hurt you?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

no.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i haven't done poo poo with fobs and it hasn't hurt me whatsoever

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Notorious QIG posted:

what does it do then?
it does, in a roundabout way, kinda

upgrading a base lets you recruit more guys and gals for a division. more guys generally means a higher level, which does unlock new research items and better chances at deployment missions

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

I never got to the point where I get my free fob. can an invader steal enough stuff to seriously hurt you?

not really. any asset that was transferred to mother base or processed is pretty safe. you can lose some unprocessed stuff

invasions are pretty rare anyway, most people like to pick on really small bases (which never come up as options)

Notorious QIG posted:

what does it do then?

building fobs does a few things

every fob lets you deploy two additional outer ops teams, but this is a bonus that starts after the fob is established and isn't dependent on additional platforms

fobs let you hold more soldiers in a given field, but you will have enough space with motherbase & fob #1 for any reasonable purpose (fob #1 is given to you in story for free).

admittedly they will enable spergs to get their lvl 99 teams easier, but in general, there is very little difference between a level 60 team (which is really easy with mother base & fob #1) and a level 99 team

all in all the bonuses are already seriously marginal from your developed capabilities. unless you're a bleeding edge autist, you're not really going to notice anything or care.

r&d is only gated by level, and there's nothing past like lvl 70, and that was just with content added today.

combat lets you respawn slightly faster during an invasion, security closes the invasion angle down just a bit faster

base development gives you maybe 200 resources/day + a 17% reduction in build time (lvl 60 is -40% build time, lvl 99 is -50%)

support will marginally reduce their lead times in the field

intel will mark more roads

medical slightly increaes fulton survival chances, which are going to be drat high due to support & other bonuses you can acquire. like we're talking about adding an extra 10% survival rate on a >100% chance of survival

the major thing that building more platforms does with you is that it seriously increases the defensive capabilities of your base during an invasion.

in order for an opponent to successfully invade, they need to make their way to the first deck of the area and enter a door when not on alert

having 4 decks makes this a much harder task, because there are 4 security details & traps to circumvent

Space-Pope posted:

it does, in a roundabout way, kinda

upgrading a base lets you recruit more guys and gals for a division. more guys generally means a higher level, which does unlock new research items and better chances at deployment missions

in general grade is more important than quantity, a ton of e-rank dudes can be effectively replaced by an s-rank guy

grade is more dependent on your heroism/outer ops exploits than fobs

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ya, building bases is essentially meaningless. You can play the game and have fun without worrying about shaving down your build time.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 342 days!

i'm starting to feel like hideo kojima is really weird about women

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

are outer ops and combat deployments two different things? if so, i haven't even done an outer op yet and i'm nearing 100 hours

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

so what you're saying is that you can build buildings in order to generate resources in order to gain bonuses in the field

like i said

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Notorious QIG posted:

so what you're saying is that you can build buildings in order to generate resources in order to gain bonuses in the field

like i said

It's not even a good way of generating resources. No one in their right mind would pay money to have the advantage sooner.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

As a Millennial I posted:

are outer ops and combat deployments two different things? if so, i haven't even done an outer op yet and i'm nearing 100 hours

they were called outer ops in peace walker, hard for me to stop calling them that, but yeah they're combat deployments

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

in the single player game though. that's why i'm not seeing this "pay to win" thing

especially since the kind of stuff you get won't actually help you get good ranks on missions. total stealth no trace runs don't require any items or support, just crawling and punches

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

As a Millennial I posted:

in the single player game though. that's why i'm not seeing this "pay to win" thing

especially since the kind of stuff you get won't actually help you get good ranks on missions. total stealth no trace runs don't require any items or support, just crawling and punches

or a smoke grenade and a jeep

technically thats not no traces though

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ya, building bases is essentially meaningless. You can play the game and have fun without worrying about shaving down your build time.

Knuc was right

im actually going to be playing the game and i feel p chill about it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
getting good ranks on missions is hilarious because in most cases, your best bet is to completely ignore any step leading to the mission objective and just do the mission objective

like in total stealth c2w, you can use the gunship to blow up the radar dishes and exfiltrate with an s rank

or total stealth war economy, where one well aimed rocket will end it in like 30 seconds

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TRON JEREMY posted:

i'm starting to feel like hideo kojima is really weird about women

he is a japanese man, so

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's not even a good way of generating resources. No one in their right mind would pay money to have the advantage sooner.

no one in their right mind would play video games at all tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Notorious QIG posted:

no one in their right mind would play video games at all tbqh

I'm not a sad brain so I quite enjoy doing my favourite hobby.

• Locked thread