Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Kins posted:

Ed didn't seem like he wanted to do it himself, just utterly confused how such a popular, pioneering series just vanished overnight.

What's there to be confused about? It's a Sega property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

:hmmyes:

Regarding crossover chat, I agree that a single character crossing over generates a TON of hype for anyone... outside of Capcom. They've been too tied to company-wide crossovers than they can't come back from it; if they, as an example, had Terry in SFV, your first thought wouldn't be, holy poo poo, Terry's in SFV, it would be holy poo poo, CvS3 is incoming and Terry being in SFV is just a plug for it.

Capcom's bar is too high; it has to be another Marvel/SNK/Tekken/Tatsunoko to matter.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Didn't VF5 also not sell too hot even by fighting game standards

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

Regarding crossover chat, I agree that a single character crossing over generates a TON of hype for anyone... outside of Capcom. They've been too tied to company-wide crossovers than they can't come back from it; if they, as an example, had Terry in SFV, your first thought wouldn't be, holy poo poo, Terry's in SFV, it would be holy poo poo, CvS3 is incoming and Terry being in SFV is just a plug for it.

Capcom's bar is too high; it has to be another Marvel/SNK/Tekken/Tatsunoko to matter.

They put all the crossovers in monster hunter because it's 100x more successful than SFV

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Refusing to implement online play probably screwed it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Blockhouse posted:

The PS3 version did okay, the X360 followup didn't do great (they thought adding online would be enough to get Japanese players to jump ship to Xbox, it didn't work), the XBLA version allegedly reached their lifetime sales target in the first week but who knows what that means.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Virtua Fighter has always seemed to struggle in America in comparison to juggernauts like Tekken and Soul Calibur or even Dead or Alive.

The series taking a less combo heavy and flashy approach but a realistic and grounded one instead, makes it difficult to pull in a casual audience. It being tied to failed consoles until 2002 didn't do it any favors either.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Gbvs is out March 3rd internationally right?

I'm sorely tempted to buy it early, but getting a code and making another PSN account is such a pain

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you can't wait and don't want to import you can make do by downloading a bunch of horny costume modes for SF4 and slamming your head in a drawer a few times

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shinji2015 posted:

Maybe they learned not to put fun cool characters in bad games after SvT. Terry in SFV sounds like a punishment, especially with how good Smash made him feel

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Gbvs is out March 3rd internationally right?

I'm sorely tempted to buy it early, but getting a code and making another PSN account is such a pain

That's just the NA version. I don't think EU has gotten official word yet but last I heard it was thought to be March 27th. Also I just found out that video games in EU have to release on fridays. That's bizarre.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm probably really stupid and this will be a stupid question.

I played a little VF5 in the Japanese arcades and mechanics-wise it reminded me a lot of DOA 6 (the only DOA I played for more than 5 minutes). They felt really similar in the way moves impact and how you can perform combos. How accurate is that impression?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Archer666 posted:

I played a little VF5 in the Japanese arcades and mechanics-wise it reminded me a lot of DOA 6 (the only DOA I played for more than 5 minutes). They felt really similar in the way moves impact and how you can perform combos. How accurate is that impression?

I’m no expert in either game, but that’s how I feel about it as well.

I’m pretty sure the series basically got its start from Itagaki just wanting to do his own spin on VF.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Archer666 posted:

I've heard people refer to DOA before as "Virtua Fighter Lite".

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I feel like a "ten years too early" joke is in order but it's been way longer than that.

https://twitter.com/FM_Synth/status/1096157722066579456?s=19

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've heard people refer to DOA before as "Virtua Fighter Lite".

DoA is the closest relative of Virtua Fighter in the 3D fighter space by design. It's basically flashier VF with a lot of the core ideas simplified and homogenized among the cast instead of spread out over different moves and places.

Virtua Fighter vanished the same way 90% of Sega Franchises vanished in the late aughts tho- they weren't one of their big cash cows so they got basically deleted from Sega's roster until their very recent start to attempt to tap into that once again. It fell into the same void just about every Sega franchise that wasn't Total War, Sonic, Yakuza, Phantasy Star, or Football Manager did. If Sega's current efforts to breathe some life back into old franchises isn't just a flash in the pan we might get a VF6 someday, but I'm not gonna hold my breath until stuff like the Sakura Wars reboot and the Panzer Dragoon remakes show some signs of life beyond being toes in the water.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dbfz getting 3 assists per character :toot:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DOA is like VF methadone. It started on the VF engine back in the day and has the same core concepts

DOA5 had 4 vf characters in it as a nod to that, and Sega sent dudes to Tecmo and watched every character of code done for them, and they turned out fantastic. Seriously well modeled and fit perfectly into the game.

They can do a VF6. They're terrified to gently caress it up though because in their eyes theres never been a bad one and no one at Sega wants to be responsible

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Brother Entropy posted:

this was the #1 issue I had with it, that most characters assists were pretty whatever and then a few characters had obviously amazing ones so you only picked them like an even more extreme version of mvc2. already we're seeing way more people have beam assists so the # of gokus per game will be reduced somewhat even with the overal increase of gokus in the roster over time

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Here's the tweet announcement for the new assist system

https://twitter.com/BNEesports/status/1226249575796596736

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Brother Entropy posted:

Imagining a world where Krillin has a decent assist and it frightens me

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

Should have gone the road skull girls did but more assist options is good regardless.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd love another Virtua Fighter. It's the one fighting game I really, really enjoyed but is total rubbish at despite my best efforts. Just something about it that just clicks with me. Had really fun character customization too, much like how Tekken does it. It was the only fighting game where I actively sought out to watch high-end play too because them players are sorcerers(esses).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Watching the footage again it looks like they removed fuzzies too. Bardock tries to fuzzy Broly and just ends up kicking over his head.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Imagining a world where Krillin has a decent assist and it frightens me

Assist A - Rock
Assist B - Stone
Assist C - Very Small Boulder

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tae posted:

Add push block or something to stop these 45 second long blockstrings and everything is fine

Oh and BN hit gt Goku with some major nerfs

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Finally, now with the new assist system. All of my hours forcing Ginyu in my squads will bare more fruit.
The galaxy brain plays are here! :holy:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Nrs virtua fighter 6 is the most monkeys paw poo poo ive heard in my life

In terms of NRS versions of Sega fighters, I'd be totally down for an Eternal Champions reboot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

AND I'm still pissed that I bought dbfz and played it for 100 hours

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gavok posted:

In terms of NRS versions of Sega fighters, I'd be totally down for an Eternal Champions reboot.

War Gods remake when

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

DOA is like VF methadone. It started on the VF engine back in the day and has the same core concepts

DOA5 had 4 vf characters in it as a nod to that, and Sega sent dudes to Tecmo and watched every character of code done for them, and they turned out fantastic. Seriously well modeled and fit perfectly into the game.

They can do a VF6. They're terrified to gently caress it up though because in their eyes theres never been a bad one and no one at Sega wants to be responsible

I like that in DOA5 the VF people had 22khz voices or whatever, it owned

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The time is right for a new Weaponlord, brought to you by Kickstarter.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Neal Stephenson's Power Stone.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Reiley posted:

Soul Calibur 6 isn't even a year and a half old!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What's the heaviest material anyone has ever seen for a fight stick?

Has anyone ever made a stick body in cast concrete? Or 2" of high grade still with holes milled out for the controls?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Reiley posted:

James Goddard has seriously been pushing this on Twitter for the last month or so.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

James Goddard has seriously been pushing this on Twitter for the last month or so.

I for one would be in for a Weapon Lord Versus Heavy Metal Magazine crossover fighter. RIP Julie Strain.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tae posted:

For the most part, Season 3 sounds great, but I am concerned about the talk about making it easier for players to stage comebacks. I think Sparking is fine as is; it can definitely give you the opportunity, but it's not so powerful that you shred a whole team in ten seconds like a Lv. 3 X-Factor character could in UMvC3.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

What's the heaviest material anyone has ever seen for a fight stick?

Has anyone ever made a stick body in cast concrete? Or 2" of high grade still with holes milled out for the controls?

my friend made a k-stick out of steel, poo poo is heavy as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Share of Dhamster's post from the GGIV thread, since this thread seems to get more discussion:

And here's the stream the wall run combo was pulled from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftxm5C04mjk