Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Dr Snofeld posted:

I am never going to achieve a success like this again.

A neat little thing I noticed is that you can seemingly unlock the logos for the PMCs from MGS4 as emblem parts. Not sure what the criteria are but I got the Octopus one.

Are you a wizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So how is the game without reflex? Crushing hard or just a bit slower?

At first you may feel like it's a huge pain in the rear end, but you acclimate. Especially once mother base starts gearing up and you have more resources to quickly identify where NPCs are before you really get into range.

For scores, the Alarms penalties are so significant that the reflex penalty (I haven't actually used it, so I'm assuming it is the same as GZ) will easily help you get a higher score. But like I said, as your gear starts to improve dramatically (mission 6 or so) things speed up and finding marks isn't such a big deal. It isn't a big deal, though. It just makes you play more deliberately. I like it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Can someone explain what this is, when it happens, and if it's on youtube? I keep hearing about a "secret" cutscene but nothing's showing on google.

After you have the Medical strut built and have rescued the first wandering MB soldier, there is a door on the top floor of the main building that opens (it has a blue light above it).

It's not just a cutscene, there is actually a sidequest chain tied to the wandering MB soldiers and you'll get more cassettes out of it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

goferchan posted:

Pretty sure you got it for finishing a mission with Octopus rank, as shown above. I got Doberman once and unlocked the logo for that. You can see an overview of what the different ranks require in the Motherbase Database in your iDroid but there are a few hidden ones too

I don't think I've gotten anything but Chick rank.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Uh, so... the cutscene inside the medical platform. Did they really already retcon the ending of Grpund Zeroes ?

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

I wish you could see your camouflage % ala mgs3.. unless that's an upgrade you can get. Does wearing something bulky like the big shield increase your visibility?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress mission 10. gently caress that fortress. gently caress that checkpoint.

If you blow up the APC with an RPG and remain undetected and then die you will get a checkpoint where the guards aren't on alert but the APC is gone and the soldiers will never drive the prisoner away from where he's at at the start. You can then go around and take everyone out and rescue the prisoners at your leisure, earning an S rank.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Decoys are the best.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wow, alright. I didn't really object to the Afghan terrain, but the African area is really awesome in comparison, or even compared to most open world stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kiggles posted:

At first you may feel like it's a huge pain in the rear end, but you acclimate. Especially once mother base starts gearing up and you have more resources to quickly identify where NPCs are before you really get into range.

For scores, the Alarms penalties are so significant that the reflex penalty (I haven't actually used it, so I'm assuming it is the same as GZ) will easily help you get a higher score. But like I said, as your gear starts to improve dramatically (mission 6 or so) things speed up and finding marks isn't such a big deal. It isn't a big deal, though. It just makes you play more deliberately. I like it.

Yeah, I have been thinking of switching it off (at least until I try to do S ranks for the reason you mentioned) because it kinda trivializes a lot of the stealth and marks when anyone noticing you just gets a slow motion tranq dart to the face. My biggest enemy in this game should not be a badly placed window frame.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don't think I've gotten anything but Chick rank.

I think the ranks are cumulative and you progress through the completely arbitrary animal list as you get more total score

Yay I achieved doberman rank. The gently caress does that mean?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Here's your reminder that you can switch out buddies at any time time during gameplay, it's in the same menu as the choppers so i don't know how i completely missed it, but there you go. I wish i had known this before taking DD and only DD into Mission 12 Huey's Cross Country African Triathlon Adventure, starring Diamond Dog!

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 2, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Here's your reminder that you can switch out buddies at any time time during gameplay. I wish i had known this before taking DD and only DD into Mission 12 Huey's Cross Country African Triathlon Adventure, starring Diamond Dog!

Thank you for this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What the hell am I supposed to do to get the No kills, full stealth thing? I'm guess no reflex either?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

How do you import your own music for the PC version? I wanna cap fools while Steve Winwood's Higher Love bumps in the whip as the children are wont to say.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's a folder in the game's install folder where you just drop MP3s into.

Mr E posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do to get the No kills, full stealth thing? I'm guess no reflex either?

Yeah, perfect stealth means no reflex.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
This is the best reward:

The signs around MB are so kawaii:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Here's your reminder that you can switch out buddies at any time time during gameplay. I wish i had known this before taking DD and only DD into Mission 12 Huey's Cross Country African Triathlon Adventure, starring Diamond Dog!

Yeah it was really nice to switch over to DH to go that distance and then switch back to DD, then extract him when a certain someone payed a visit.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
How do I make motherbase staff wear an outfit?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Here's your reminder that you can switch out buddies at any time time during gameplay, it's in the same menu as the choppers so i don't know how i completely missed it, but there you go. I wish i had known this before taking DD and only DD into Mission 12 Huey's Cross Country African Triathlon Adventure, starring Diamond Dog!

The first time I did this I literally lol'd to see a horse dropping in via parachute

No, that fucker would not calmly land on all four legs, he would be freaking the gently caress out, I would wager!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

The first time I did this I literally lol'd to see a horse dropping in via parachute

No, that fucker would not calmly land on all four legs, he would be freaking the gently caress out, I would wager!

D-Horse is a professional thank you very much

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of this, have they mentioned any updates on what the hell is going on with their servers and the so-called "server maintenance"?

Konami is cheap as poo poo so they probably just don't have enough servers to handle the load.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Nanomachines keep that poo poo under control.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009
I did the save data transfer, where do I get Kojima for the R&D?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
my helicopter had a cliff above it, where my D-horse was. So when the helicopter took off the blades hit Dhorse and Dhorse went into the atmosphere.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Regy Rusty posted:

D-Horse is a professional thank you very much

D-Horse is a loving diva

rabidsquid posted:

I lost two pips of loyalty with d horse. I don't know if it's all of the times I got him shot, or if it was when I got him exploded, or if it was because I am the one who caused the explosion, but I lost two pips in one mission

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of this, have they mentioned any updates on what the hell is going on with their servers and the so-called "server maintenance"?

I just started the game up and it let me sign in no problem. There's a statement saying that everything but the Xbone is fine, for some reason the 'Bone is still suffering issues. It takes forever to load up on the PS3 now though. Guessing that's the server causing problems.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh awesome. Does it charge you for it?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

This game has horse armor.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's 3k a pop but considering how much GMP you can rake in between the Outer Ops,the side missions and selling weapon emplacements it's never really an issue.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Edit: ^^^ Oh sweet, a reason to fulton emplacements!

Do you just get the one chance to customize your emblem? I did it once but now for the life of me I can't find the option again. I'm hoping not because I did something dumb initially but with more names/emblem parts unlocked I feel I could make it much dumber.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

This game has horse armor.

True

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

D-Horse is a loving diva

You deserved it

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how does the Ground Zeroes stuff you earn transfer over to Phantom Pain?

I read somewhere that there was an app for it but I'd guess that is for the consoles only and the PC version is transferable from the start menu? (i bought the game just before the preorder thingy went away)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mailer posted:

Edit: ^^^ Oh sweet, a reason to fulton emplacements!

Do you just get the one chance to customize your emblem? I did it once but now for the life of me I can't find the option again. I'm hoping not because I did something dumb initially but with more names/emblem parts unlocked I feel I could make it much dumber.

Open your Mother Base part of your iDroid. First option there is Customize. There you can Customize your Emblem, Helicopter, Mother Base and Avatar (what you made at the start of the game).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Mailer posted:

iirc you can customize it whenever but have to do so from the 'chilling in a helicopter in the middle of nowhere' screen

also has somebody figured out how to get to the screen that describes what a soldier's skill does yet

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 2, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The hidden cutscene on the medical platform. :psyduck:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

UberJew posted:

iirc you can customize it whenever but have to do so from the 'chilling in a helicopter in the middle of nowhere' screen

also can somebody figured out how to get to the screen that describes what a soldier's skill does yet

Go to the base personnel menu and there is an option to 'change view' or something, one of the views is a detailed look at the selected soldier and explains what skills a soldier has do.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, I have been thinking of switching it off (at least until I try to do S ranks for the reason you mentioned) because it kinda trivializes a lot of the stealth and marks when anyone noticing you just gets a slow motion tranq dart to the face. My biggest enemy in this game should not be a badly placed window frame.

Just do it. Especially if you have made it through maybe the first 6 main missions. Reflex is cool, but the time dilation really seems to mess with my jive and make me play stupid. Not that I am playing great right now, it's just one of those crutches that you immediately start to lean on once you turn it back on, and I am having the most fun hanging around a corner with that little anxiety that things are going to get really nasty if I'm not careful. It's fun, especially since you're not so heavily penalized for the alarms. Really, the biggest detriment is it makes getting fultons/resources difficult.

Having said that, I hope you like going loud, because it is REALLY difficult to sneak without reflex. At least for a while. You'll figure it out, but some of the bigger outposts are a nightmare to perfect stealth.
e: despite that, it is a HUGE incentive to use all of your tools. I just realized a mission I did last night probably would have been WAY easier if I just did it while it was dark, instead of high noon. :downs: Clearly the incentive isn't quite strong enough.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
How come some of the side ops I've already finished randomly become do-able again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Out of curiosity, is there anybody here playing this on Xbox One?

• Locked thread