Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Either i'm incredibly stupid or Destiny 2 does not have a great new player experience.
No it megasucks. Destiny 2 has a bunch of problems, as I remember from the period I tried it out (late 2018/early 2019), and one of them is that the game starts real weak. The bizarre jumping physics don't help at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

No it megasucks. Destiny 2 has a bunch of problems, as I remember from the period I tried it out (late 2018/early 2019), and one of them is that the game starts real weak. The bizarre jumping physics don't help at all.

Apparently importing a character at all just mega fucks things too.

This power level 0 person starts with poo poo on every planet open and it didn't even tell me how to leave the city and it gave me a beginner raid mission

level 0 character

level 0 can go anywhere

750 can't

Len has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Oct 8, 2019

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I just tried a race on hard difficulty in the Crash Team Racing remake and I immediately understand why almost no one has the trophy for completing the Adventure mode on hard. The AI straight up plays a different game on hard, they don't seem to drift and boost a whole lot, they're just straight up faster than it's possible for the player to be. I managed to get in second place, but it was hard fought and the racer ahead of me had a good ten second lead so I'm not entirely sure what I could have done there, I had a particularly good race too.

Pretty great remake overall, but the difficulty is all over the place, especially a kart racer. Easy is too easy and medium is way too challenging for playing casually with friends. It feels like there's a difficulty missing in between easy and medium. It's especially weird compared to the original, which felt just right even at the higher difficulties.

Also someone else mentioned the load times in this thread and good lord they aren't kidding. It's not a huge deal, but it really sucks, especially if you're dumb as hell like me and you keep accidentally driving into the wrong track in adventure mode.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I tried the game when it was given out for free to everyone on battle.net. Finished the story campaign and wondered what the big deal was. A competent but bland and unremarkable shooter with super weird jumping physics. Certainly nothing worth spending money on.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

Either i'm incredibly stupid or Destiny 2 does not have a great new player experience.

I posted about it in the Games Chat Thread:

Samuringa posted:

Playing a little more of Destiny 2 and it feels so weird how gutted the game is right now. Not that I'm going to praise the game's story, but previously it at least had some focus: You had the Big Bad invasion, lost your powers for five minutes that felt like five hours and then went back reclaiming what was stolen. There was a main plot and when you unlocked a new subset of your class you'd go in these sequences where you'd relive the tales of the lost Guardians that held those powers during their time of glory. The main characters would be scattered in various worlds and you'd help build a resistance and safeguard the survivors.

Now you have a little tutorial sequence before being throw into a main hub with all NPCs introducing you to grindy mechanics and daily/weekly rewards in an extremely barebones way. You already have all the subclasses unlocked and I guess whatever happened previously was solved without any fanfare because they just casually mention that things are getting back to normal. Instead of levels you now climb "Season Ranks" which give you a specific reward for each one(but you can also buy the Season Pass for extras!). The long and short quests somehow feel even more superfluous than before, go to these places and kill those guys who are doing bad things. No idea who they are or what they're doing mean, but you get a cool [GREEN] or [BLUE] equipment.

It's like instead of making a korean knock off they just went and turned the game into one. It reminds me a lot of Skyforge, a very low effort MMO I played this year, but with more of a budget.

Turns out if you still want to play those previous campaigns, you have to go to Hawthorne, an NPC that's far off from all the others in the Tower and the game gives you 0 indications that this is a thing, while piling you with dailies and weeklies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

dracula vladdy AF posted:

difficulty in the Crash Team Racing remake

Yeah...I'm struggling with the difficulty. You're right, easy is basically never-have-opponents-in-your-rearview mode but bumping it up is frustrating. Not sure what to do, but at least the racing mechanics are still fun enough that I want to keep trying.

This still pisses me off. Yeah, it's not gamebreaking, but this game is still in the classic style of short and sweet closed courses, 2-2 1/2 minutes and you're done from what I've seen so far. I love that style, but it's almost inexcusable when you're at a consistent 90 seconds loading in and out of each race. The game looks good, but not good enough that I can understand how that happens.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

Turns out if you still want to play those previous campaigns, you have to go to Hawthorne, an NPC that's far off from all the others in the Tower and the game gives you 0 indications that this is a thing, while piling you with dailies and weeklies.

My friends are super excited to see how great the game is going to be now that Activision is gone

I doubt Activision was to blame for problems and that it's not going to magically get better

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah...I'm struggling with the difficulty. You're right, easy is basically never-have-opponents-in-your-rearview mode but bumping it up is frustrating. Not sure what to do, but at least the racing mechanics are still fun enough that I want to keep trying.

I want to say that I've gotten to a point where I can consistently beat races on medium but sometimes the AI is just so on point that if you make even a relatively minor mistake (like loving up very slightly on The Turn on Dragon Mines) it can be enough to cost you the race if it happens late enough. I mean that's perfectly fair for a racing game, but it's pretty unforgiving as kart racers go. I don't think I've ever played another game in genre where I have to put in 110% to have a chance to succeed, it's wild.

The item boxes are... odd as well. In eighth place you often get some really powerful stuff like just about every other kart racer, which is totally normal, but on the other hand I've been in first and gotten the mask a handful of times and I have genuinely no idea why. I have to wonder if it's a glitch of some sort.

dracula vladdy AF has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Oct 8, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I tried the game when it was given out for free to everyone on battle.net. Finished the story campaign and wondered what the big deal was. A competent but bland and unremarkable shooter with super weird jumping physics. Certainly nothing worth spending money on.
For me the biggest flaw was that it wanted to be a loot shooter but the loot sucked and wasn't fun. Borderlands 2 has a billion problems and when your game can't even match up to it in the core gameplay loop of "shoot thing, find gun, shoot bigger thing" then you have a bad game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

For me the biggest flaw was that it wanted to be a loot shooter but the loot sucked and wasn't fun. Borderlands 2 has a billion problems and when your game can't even match up to it in the core gameplay loop of "shoot thing, find gun, shoot bigger thing" then you have a bad game.

As someone who likes both, the shooting in Destiny feels way better than the shooting in borderlands, but the loot in borderlands is better. Destiny has a bunch of auto-aim and projectile tracking stuff going on behind the scenes to make it feel snappy, but borderlands has way more variety between guns. Borderlands also has enemies that tend towards being bullet sprongier.

I think The Division hits the sweet spot between the two, but all three scratch that Diablo II ARPG itch in a way that Diablo III does not for me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As someone who likes both, the shooting in Destiny feels way better than the shooting in borderlands, but the loot in borderlands is better. Destiny has a bunch of auto-aim and projectile tracking stuff going on behind the scenes to make it feel snappy, but borderlands has way more variety between guns. Borderlands also has enemies that tend towards being bullet sprongier.
Yeah, the stronger gunplay is what attracted me to Destiny 2 in the first place. I'd heard it was better than 1 and I wanted to play a loot shooter with better gameplay. Both that and Shadow Warrior 2 were a disappointment. For as much stuff as Borderlands does poorly (most of the stuff in the game) they got the loot part right, and that can go a long way if you like ARPGs.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Len posted:

They changed it when they went free to play and it's a mess now (in terms of telling you what to do.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, the stronger gunplay is what attracted me to Destiny 2 in the first place. I'd heard it was better than 1 and I wanted to play a loot shooter with better gameplay. Both that and Shadow Warrior 2 were a disappointment. For as much stuff as Borderlands does poorly (most of the stuff in the game) they got the loot part right, and that can go a long way if you like ARPGs.

Have you played The Division/Division 2? You might like it. Plus, its open world collectibles are all cool story bits that actually made me want to go and find them, and I never do that.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Destiny loving loves to introduce characters through two minutes of radio chatter where your quest giver is like "oh poo poo guardian, you're heading to the Grove of Recalcitrance. That's where Agamemnon the Incandescent resides" as if that means jack poo poo.

Then you meet the guy and he might as well be a vending machine, because he's only good for giving little tokens to in exchange for daily quests whose reward is more tokens.

That's what really soured me on Destiny. I could accept the okay shooting mechanics and garbage loot treadmill if I got to engage with memorable characters. Instead everything feels so alienating and lifeless. It's like going through a really bare-bones theme park where you can see the spaceship ride poking up from behind the Wild West Saloon.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The movement and shooting in Destiny 2 is very good for an always online game but everything else is bland and shockingly copy-pasted.

I fully expect when Bungie bring in the ancient evil they teased they somehow reuse the current enemies yet again.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Samuringa posted:

Glad that it isn't just me. I had finished the game when it first came out on PC, but hadn't looked back on it since. When I reinstalled, the entire thing was a giant mess of icons and no real indication on what I was supposed to do.
It really needed a popup going "Hey, you finished the story campaign, do you want to take a crack at the free DLC?" But nope, just icons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schubalts posted:

It's especially weird when the protagonist of FE:Fates (the previous non-remake/rerelease Fire Emblem) had fully voiced dialog and conversations in cutscenes, along with gender choice and a customizable appearance that was reflected in their dialog-box sprite. :negative:

Yeah but that game was a mess in so many ways and aparent from the beginning when you try and make a character and the height changes are 5' 7" and 5' 5 2/3" and hairstyles.

I don't get why they don't just make you a silent protagonist with a bunch of dialogue box options like Persona. So you're not voice acted but you at least do actually talk to people.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The movement and shooting in Destiny 2 is very good for an always online game but everything else is bland and shockingly copy-pasted.

I fully expect when Bungie bring in the ancient evil they teased they somehow reuse the current enemies yet again.

My favorite thing was how in Destiny 1 the overarching villain was some mysterious ancient enemy of the traveler known as The Darkness. Then for Destiny 2 they admitted they never actually had any idea what The Darkness was supposed to be and retconned it out of existence, so it turns out mankind just got attacked by a bunch of different aliens at the same time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

My favorite thing was how in Destiny 1 the overarching villain was some mysterious ancient enemy of the traveler known as The Darkness. Then for Destiny 2 they admitted they never actually had any idea what The Darkness was supposed to be and retconned it out of existence, so it turns out mankind just got attacked by a bunch of different aliens at the same time.
nah it's back to being a real thing. They had no idea what it was when they were making D1 and it seems like they at least considered dropping it completely at D2 launch but it's now slowly coming together as a bunch of angry psychic triangles

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Decided to jump in on the free PS Now trial and finally getting around to playing Arkham Asylum (having played everything from City on at some point). It feels like a pretty tightly-designed game that seems like a better fit than the later, more open-world style. But man, I'd forgotten just how annoying the "mash X to open grate" prompts get, and it somehow feels worse in a closed, almost claustrophobic level. It's just like, what else does that mechanic do other than waste my time before I can progress? "No, game, I just want Batman to stand there holding onto the thing blocking literally the only way forward, I don't want him to open it" :confused:

Is it not an area loading trick?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah that was consensus and it bothers me a lot less if so. Still I wouldn't mind just having an animation without having to hammer the button fifty million times cumulatively through the game (although it is kinda funny when I get distracted, then look back to find Batman has been fruitlessly grabbing onto the gate for the last minute with no effect)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Len posted:

level 0 can go anywhere

750 can't

This is weird. my imported 750 character (who had done the original campaign around the game release and not much else) can go everywhere except the two planets on the bottom right, which need some exp to access first.

Did your 750 character start the red war campaign and somehow get stuck in the game’s original newbie jail progression where you have to get introduced to everything one at a time?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah that was consensus and it bothers me a lot less if so. Still I wouldn't mind just having an animation without having to hammer the button fifty million times cumulatively through the game (although it is kinda funny when I get distracted, then look back to find Batman has been fruitlessly grabbing onto the gate for the last minute with no effect)

Yeah i found the grate stuff less distracting than the contamination doors.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Destiny should have been first person Mass Effect but with Bungie's actually good game design, combat encounters, and shooting feel, but instead it's huge chip bag filled with 80% air. And the chips ain't even that good.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

New Leaf posted:

If you own a Switch you're doing yourself a major disservice by not using the Pro Controller. I know it kinda defeat's the purpose of portability but I treat the Switch like any other console and the Pro Controller feels fantastic.

The shoulder buttons on the switch always "flicker" when I'm holding them down. If I'm not holding them down with the grip of a tiger, my dark souls guy will do a dance with his shield. Also the D-pad sucks, really bad. If you're like me and you keep your thumb on the center of the D-pad, you will have a bad time. If you are like someone else and you keep your thumb on the edge of the d-pad, it will work fine. Apparently the DQ11 slime controller is really good, but good luck finding it for a reasonable price.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Oct 8, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Hero: Medium is too easy and Hard is too hard. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

This is weird. my imported 750 character (who had done the original campaign around the game release and not much else) can go everywhere except the two planets on the bottom right, which need some exp to access first.

Did your 750 character start the red war campaign and somehow get stuck in the game’s original newbie jail progression where you have to get introduced to everything one at a time?

Not to my knowledge. The quest log I posted a picture of is everything I see. The 750 is a brand new character created after the switch to steam while the 0 is an imported person

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Necrothatcher posted:

I used to have that problem with Guitar Hero when I started really playing that. Adding the extra button on hard mode created a hell of a learning curve. Does DJ hero do that or is it just harder patterns?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I used to have that problem with Guitar Hero when I started really playing that. Adding the extra button on hard mode created a hell of a learning curve. Does DJ hero do that or is it just harder patterns?

It's just more complicated patterns. I'll get there. The game is a bit like rubbing your belly while patting your head in terms of coordination.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

i've been having this problem with endless chellenge on mario maker 2, normal is trivial but expert wrecks my balls

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

spit on my clit posted:

The shoulder buttons on the switch always "flicker" when I'm holding them down. If I'm not holding them down with the grip of a tiger, my dark souls guy will do a dance with his shield. Also the D-pad sucks, really bad. If you're like me and you keep your thumb on the center of the D-pad, you will have a bad time. If you are like someone else and you keep your thumb on the edge of the d-pad, it will work fine. Apparently the DQ11 slime controller is really good, but good luck finding it for a reasonable price.

I've never had that issue. I don't play Dark Souls, and rarely touch the D-pad, but it feels really good for Smash Bros and Fire Emblem. :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

I've heard the slime controller immediately attracts loads of gunk and becomes absolutely disgusting, which is deeply hilarious.

I use a cheap wired Horipad which is really good imo, works on pc too

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
In Dragon Quest 11, the final party member Hendrik has two skill trees next to each other - Greatswords and Shields. He can't use both greatswords and shields at the same time, and the axe/sword trees are on the opposite side of the two. Normally the game would expect you to dip from one tree into another as they would have some synergy, like Rab's Enlightenment and Heavy Wand trees, but in the spoiler guy's case there is no point to having two opposing skill trees sit right next to each other

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Necrothatcher posted:

DJ Hero was really fun and it bums me out that it got killed in the Great Rhythm Game Crash.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

DJ Hero was really fun and it bums me out that it got killed in the Great Rhythm Game Crash.

It’s too bad rythym games in general got taken out like that. Guitar Hero was fun but I don’t know what they expected when they churned out so many of them so close together.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm trying to get back into Control after some weeks off, and man...I want to love it so much but I think it needs a tweak to make it more enjoyable to less-skilled players like me :ssh:. The health system in combat just feels punishing even at the easiest level, between that, the rough checkpoint system/long load times, and the convoluted world design/poor map system, I feel like I'm spending most of my time in a loop between dying, loading, and wandering around trying to figure out where I'm going. Just one change, adding a baby mode with regenerating health (even if it requires a disclaimer that it's not the recommended way to play) and I feel like I could forgive everything else and just enjoy what it's going for.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm trying to get back into Control after some weeks off, and man...I want to love it so much but I think it needs a tweak to make it more enjoyable to less-skilled players like me :ssh:. The health system in combat just feels punishing even at the easiest level, between that, the rough checkpoint system/long load times, and the convoluted world design/poor map system, I feel like I'm spending most of my time in a loop between dying, loading, and wandering around trying to figure out where I'm going. Just one change, adding a baby mode with regenerating health (even if it requires a disclaimer that it's not the recommended way to play) and I feel like I could forgive everything else and just enjoy what it's going for.

Yeah, I'm in the Research sector and every time I die it boots me to the beginning of the area because I haven't found a control point yet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's so aggravating, because on the one hand I can open the wrong door and find a silhouette of Not Max Payne yammering about something supernatural and a weird series of rooms rebuilding themselves in a shifting labyrinth as I wander through them, but on the other hand I'm a little worried the implementation is gonna turn me off of seeing any more of that whole cool vibe :smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The thing about control is that it’s made for you to always be moving, shooting, and using psychic crazy poo poo. It feels like you should take cover, but that’s a terrible idea. The Hiss suck at hitting moving targets and drop health every time they get hit, not just when they die, so always be running around like a meth addled rabbit and shooting things.

The checkpointing sucks sometimes but always being mobile helps a lot with the not dying thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

nah it's back to being a real thing. They had no idea what it was when they were making D1 and it seems like they at least considered dropping it completely at D2 launch but it's now slowly coming together as a bunch of angry psychic triangles
I too enjoyed Gravity Falls