Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Augus posted:

Alright I give, how the gently caress am I supposed to do this on heroic?

Id did it on heroic with a 47 cloud 46 kain 26 snow 30 lenna and 46 Terra (with only 2 uses of quake)

(It came down to cloud surviving alone, entirely by having retaliate up and finishing with like 15hp.)

Grinding Hard is way less stressful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Or you could just grind Hard instead. With the timeframe they gave us for this event, there's no reason you can't get Thundaja just doing the Hard levels; it's just going to take you a little more than twice as long - 15-20 hard runs (at 56 Stamina each) versus 4-5 heroic runs (at 96 stamina each)

e:f;b

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So is 6 uses of Thundara preferable to 2 uses of Thundaga? Or on the other hand should I give Terra both Thundaga and -ara and do without Comet?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The -ara spells have a 1.9 damage multiplier (doubled vs vulnerable). The -aga spells have a 3.26 damage multiplier (doubled vs vulnerable). Comet has a 3.35 damage multiplier.

For the record, I get all of my damage multiplier info from this spreadsheet.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

For this event? I'd go without Comet. Thundara should serve you just fine on Hard against the Warmech and smaller mooks, while you pull out -aga for the Behemoth and Anima. It gets a bit dicier when you decide to use Vanille as your only mage, but I'd still choose 6 -ara over 2 -aga. Once your mages run dry, they're not gonna do much.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'm hoping a setup like this can get me through:
Cloud (50)
Zantetsuken (6*+)/Genji Shield/Hyper Wrist
Thunder Strike (6) Retaliate (6)

Sephiroth (49)
Swordbreaker(4*)/Diamond Armor (4*) Hero Ring
Double Cut (4) Power Break (4)

Snow (44)
Maneater (5*+)/Regal Gown/Hyper Wrist
Double Cut (8) Armor Break (4)

Terra (50)
Light Rod/Diamond Helm (4*)/Angel Wings
Watera (8) Boost (10)

Vanille (30)
Gravity Rod/Gaia Robe/Protect Ring
Quake (4) Curaga (10)

I can hone either Retaliate or Thunder Strike to 8 uses, but not both (I could've done both if I could get any loving Lesser Power Orbs to drop in today's daily). I can probably get Watera to 10 casts also. Sadly I can't get Thundara beyond 6 casts or Thundaga beyond 4 casts to take advantage of Light Rod boosting due to lack of Lightning Orbs. Hoping I can just have Vanille Quake the non-bosses to death, and pray that my other abilities are enough to outlast the bosses.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

You'll be more than fine. I was able to do it with a single mythril rez with way worse-honed abilities than you. I'd swap out the Boost for a Kirin or Cura, though. Cloud with a 6* weapon, Armor Break, and two Double Cutters will do more than enough damage and you might find you need the healing. I did it with a 5* weapon and no Armor Break, for reference.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I'm personally just trying to figure out how to budget my time for the two events. I want to get the orbs to hone Quake, but that's 35000 magicite away, and grinding the flameship is obnoxiously slow. If I just grind it the entire time it's open, I may not be able to get Thundaja in time.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

If you can do the Hard version of the Vanille event, it takes about 58 hours of stamina to get the 125k. That should be doable in the time between Lenna's event ending and Vanille's event ending.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zurai posted:

If you can do the Hard version of the Vanille event, it takes about 58 hours of stamina to get the 125k. That should be doable in the time between Lenna's event ending and Vanille's event ending.

It just means I'll have to zombie those last few days. :v: But then again, who needs sleep?

Cripes, going from the Vanille event back to Lenna's event is like night and day; I can autobattle through all but Liquid Flame on Lenna Hard with a B-team, but I had to actually pay attention and be careful even with my Lv50 A-team. (It still wasn't impossible, but the difference between :effort: autobattling and actually inputting commands and paying attention to targeting is surreal when you're back-and-forthing it)

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

Augus posted:

Alright I give, how the gently caress am I supposed to do this on heroic?

If it helps any, Anima's AI reportedly won't cast his dumb AoE magic spell until all of your party has had their ATB filled. If you prevent a character from having their ATB filled (casting Stopga or Sleep or something on them), then the AoE won't cast and all you have to deal with is Anima's physical counter damage, which you can take care of with Protega or Power Break.

I haven't bothered to try this as I already farmed Thundaja and have 0 desire to go back in there, but others have said it worked for them.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I almost beat Heroic without a mythril refresh and then they throw double Anime at me. It's not fair. So I got mastery but it required that refresh. I don't want to have to do that every time. I'm thinking of just having only Wakka and Tyro attack the trash to charge up their SBs (Sentinel's Grimoire and Official Ball) and just vit0 my way through every boss with the shield up.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dipwood posted:

I almost beat Heroic without a mythril refresh and then they throw double Anime at me. It's not fair. So I got mastery but it required that refresh. I don't want to have to do that every time. I'm thinking of just having only Wakka and Tyro attack the trash to charge up their SBs (Sentinel's Grimoire and Official Ball) and just vit0 my way through every boss with the shield up.

Problem being that you barely have any trash at all on Heroic; the one run I attempted went Warmech -> Warmech -> Marauder -> Behemoth -> Anima before I noped right the gently caress out.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KataraniSword posted:

Problem being that you barely have any trash at all on Heroic; the one run I attempted went Warmech -> Warmech -> Marauder -> Behemoth -> Anima before I noped right the gently caress out.

Every heroic run has 4 bosses and 4 "trash" levels (if you consider everything below Behemoth/Warmech/Anima to be "trash"). Some just have a bunch of front-loaded bosses.

And yeah, the drop rates on the Hard daily today are totally hosed. After doing nothing but running it all day and getting almost no lesser power orbs, I wrote down my last four runs, trying to see if there was a "best" stage to repeatedly run:

Stage 1:
L.White x3, L.Black x1
L. Power x1, L.White x2, Black x1
L.White x2, L.Black x1
L.White x1, White x2, L.Black x3

Stage 2:
L.White x1, White x1, L.Black x3
Power x1, L.Black x3
L.Black x3
L.Black x4, Black x1

Stage 3:
Power x1, L.White x1, L.Black x1, Black x2
L.Power x1, Power x1, L.White x2
L.Power x2, L.Black x2
Power x1, L.White x1

Totals:
L.White: 13
White: 3
L.Black: 21
Black: 4
L.Power: 4
Power: 4

I got over three times as many lesser whites as lesser powers, and over five times as many lesser blacks. And this was the case all day, so I really doubt this was just some huge day-long anomaly. These are some seriously borked orb drop distributions, especially for power orbs which are fundamental to nearly half the abilities you can craft. Honing a single ability might take 40 or more lesser power orbs; I got 23 after farming the entire day. Sweet.

Should've just kept farming Lenna's event for Greater Earth Orbs.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 28, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I want to complete Heroic just for the completion rewards once but almost every time I get a back-to-back warmech fight where they just spam the wave blast which not only makes it nearly impossible to get a good grade due to to the fact that it tanks your damage rank, but back to back fights like that are straight up ridiculously hard to survive.

Mog
Nov 23, 2006

Pillbug

KataraniSword posted:

It just means I'll have to zombie those last few days. :v: But then again, who needs sleep?

58 hours of stamina isn't going to require any loss of sleep. Even if your stamina is only around 50, that'll fill up in 2.5 hours. Check your phone 6 times throughout the day, you can finish the event in 4 days. I'm just finishing off the last few elites and auto battling through Lenna's event when I need to burn off extra stamina. Once Lenna is done I'll knock off Vanille's event and then go back to honing abilities.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I went back to Lenna to get the dark orbs to hone Quake. I will probably save up to buy ten regular power orbs and maybe a few greater non-elemental before I go back to Vanille full time.

I could really use greater wind orbs en masse but trying to get in a position to hone Bladeblitz takes a backseat to getting some r3 break skills.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dipwood posted:

Doing Hard its still feasible to clear the event, AND you can do it while leveling Snow and Vanille. Clearing hard with my B team is netting me a ton of xp.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
My B Team runs are in the magicite mines. For Vanille my goal is to clear Heroic without camping nor retaliate. Currently my next plan is, as I said, to charge up Tyro/Wakka on the trash. First I'm going to get Protectga from the Lenna event, and while I'm there Snow/Vanille will get a few more levels, so I'm fairly confident.

The only thing that puts a wrench in all of this is Warmech. Too many Wave Guns and I'm way too weak to start an Anima fight, and there doesn't seem to be any way to mitigate it since it's based on HP? Maybe Tyro's shield can mitigate it.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Vanille Hard is still kicking my butt. I can autobattle through everything but Anima, but I can throw everything I have at Anima and still not consistently win because of that dumb AOE spam.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Grinding Vanille's event is so annoying even on hard because you actually run into fights where if you autobattle and look down in a minute your whole party is dead because Anima has a million health

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Even on Hard, I had a tough time beating Anima because my guys all ran out of abilities and were just doing normal attacks at that point

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

wall monitor posted:

Vanille Hard is still kicking my butt. I can autobattle through everything but Anima, but I can throw everything I have at Anima and still not consistently win because of that dumb AOE spam.

Kill one arm before beating on Anima. Cutting the damage you take in half is sort of a big deal.

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

KataraniSword posted:

Kill one arm before beating on Anima. Cutting the damage you take in half is sort of a big deal.

And you can magic break the other arm when it starts doing the magical attack.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

When someone can sum up exactly how to fight Anima and put it all in one place, I'll maybe feel like I'm ready to go for it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Alxprit posted:

When someone can sum up exactly how to fight Anima and put it all in one place, I'll maybe feel like I'm ready to go for it.

Kill one arm. Hit the main body once. Retaliate it to death. The End.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Zurai posted:

Kill one arm. Hit the main body once. Retaliate it to death. The End.

It's honestly this simple. Anything else is just routine buffing or debuffing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

If you have strong enough characters (say, L40s/50s with non-poo poo weapons) you don't even need to rely on Retaliate, it just makes the job go faster and cuts down on the damage you take in counterattacks.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What do you mean "Retaliate"? Wouldn't that assume that Anima's counters hit the person with Retaliate?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Counterattacks generally don't activate counters. Therefore, by having your entire party wail on someone with Retaliate instead of hitting the boss directly, and having the Retaliate user be the one to do all the hits with counterattacks, you avoid counters.

Also, attacks on Retaliate users don't actually do damage, meaning the counterattacks are entirely free.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Alec Eiffel posted:

What do you mean "Retaliate"? Wouldn't that assume that Anima's counters hit the person with Retaliate?

Any physical attack directed at a character with Retaliate active will miss and the character will make a 100% damage attack at the enemy with the lowest % health. Any physical attack, including ones from party members. And if the attack is a multi-hit attack, such as Double Cut, each attack will be countered.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Here is a barebones guide to getting Anima down on heroic. You will need to hone a bunch of poo poo, no cutting corners. Get it done in the next few days by power farming Lenna's event.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Augus posted:

So is 6 uses of Thundara preferable to 2 uses of Thundaga? Or on the other hand should I give Terra both Thundaga and -ara and do without Comet?

Yes. My Thundara does about 7-7.5k to the guys weak to it while Thundaga caps out at 9999 when running hard so it's no contest.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Beasteh posted:

Here is a barebones guide to getting Anima down on heroic. You will need to hone a bunch of poo poo, no cutting corners. Get it done in the next few days by power farming Lenna's event.

I like the Cloud is a role unto himself

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

On Anima I haven't been using Retaliate but I guess it's just because I haven't used that strat too much yet. I've got a team of 50s which probably makes all the difference - I run Cloud (with a 4 star cat claw/5 star upgraded Knight Mail) with Thunder Strike and Fire Strike, Terra (with a 4 star Gaia Rod, 5 star Regal Gown) with Curaga and Fira, Sephiroth (4 star Swordbreaker, 4 star Diamond Mail) with Power Break and Double Cut, Rydia (the Light rod and a 5 star Black Robe+) with Comet and Thundara and Celes (5 star Falchion++ and Crystal Helm or some other 4 star helmet, can't remember which) with Thunder Strike and Blizzard Strike. My strategy on Anima is just save all of Sephiroth's power breaks until that fight, then have everybody focus down one arm. Sephiroth then power breaks the main body and everybody goes to town on it. Terra heals if we get badly hurt, but generally it's not a problem once the main body is power broken, and Sephiroth can do Power Break 4 times for me, so the fight's done before we are. I can't beat two Animas in one run, though, and something tells me this strat wouldn't work too well on Heroic. Gets me through Hard easily enough.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
I'm plinking away at the event via normal, since most of my guys are under 25, I try hard and get 2 shot by the first few waves, am I missing something?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Installed this today, game seems cool, and it all makes more sense to me than when I tried the various puzzles and dragons clones.

Should I be gunning to unlock Lenna and the ff13 girl before their event ends?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Coolspaz posted:

I'm plinking away at the event via normal, since most of my guys are under 25, I try hard and get 2 shot by the first few waves, am I missing something?

I am a fairly new player like yourself, but my experience is that normal is meant for level 20-25ish and hard is for 35-40ish, depending on gear/abilities. I feel like it is best to grab some of the low hanging rewards from the events and then go back to the story mode and wait until closer to 40 before really trying to grind any of the big rewards.

Minrad posted:

Installed this today, game seems cool, and it all makes more sense to me than when I tried the various puzzles and dragons clones.

I would really recommend unlocking them before there events go away, they can be unlocked from just the first few mastery rewards in each event, or grinding out 5-10 runs on easy if you are only level 15 or so.

Fenris13 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 28, 2015

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Minrad posted:

Yeah. It doesn't take too much effort even for a new player. The Lenna event ends in two days, you might have to do some light grinding but you should have plenty of time.

Get enough tokens from the event to get Lenna, the mythril, and if you have time/tokens left grab the weapons and armor. Combine the weapons/armor for some easy 3^/4* gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

This event really needs a step between Normal and Hard. I can breeze through Normal pretty much on autobattle, but I keep having to retreat a couple fights before the end of Hard because I run out of abilities.

It's dumb that I'm not going to get enough points to get some of the later orbs I need to hone because... I haven't already gotten the orbs I need to hone.

Minrad posted:

You should always try to unlock as many characters as you can, though I don't know if you'll have time to get Lenna with a practically new party. It's worth trying, though.

• Locked thread