Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

moms pubis posted:

You are pretty much hosed.

So if I change my email's password (the email I have linked to said Ipod) will someone be able to access my email still or will they be unable to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

SilkyP posted:

So if I change my email's password (the email I have linked to said Ipod) will someone be able to access my email still or will they be unable to?

No, the next time they try to bring up mail it'll go to download from the server and then be like "huh, I can't download from the server! Its probably the password!"

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm currently phone-less so I'm using my Touch for reading news in wifi-less places. What I thought I'd do is open some links in different safari windows while at my desk (where I have an internet connection), and basically save them for reading offline.

But most of the time (but weirdly enough, not every time) when I go to open them I get the "You need an internet connection to open this page" message and it goes to a blank page (even though when I'm scrolling through my various open windows the content is clearly there and downloaded). It's happening because when I select a particular window, Safari is trying to reload it before I read it. How do I stop Safari from doing this?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Not sure that you can stop it from doing that.
Give ReadItLater a try, I use it a fair amount. You can add stuff from safari/atomic or on firefox on your desktop. If you use Google Reader, try MobileRSS. Haven't tried that one, but my friends like it.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
Can anyone summarize what changed for the ipod touch with today's announcement price and feature wise? Do they get a faster CPU or anything?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Can anyone summarize what changed for the ipod touch with today's announcement price and feature wise? Do they get a faster CPU or anything?
The 8gb is now $199 instead of $229.
Now it comes in white. Everything else is the same. Same models as last year.

That's it.
It's disappointing.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Anyone know if the Nano will be the same formfactor?

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

The 8gb is now $199 instead of $229.
Now it comes in white. Everything else is the same. Same models as last year.

That's it.
It's disappointing.

Meh. Guess my 1st gen nano will carry on.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Are there any non-touch iPods left? We have a friend who lost her old non-touch iPod Nano, and needs a new one. Touch screen devices are not an option for her because she has long fingernails.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Chainclaw posted:

Are there any non-touch iPods left? We have a friend who lost her old non-touch iPod Nano, and needs a new one. Touch screen devices are not an option for her because she has long fingernails.
They still sell Nanos.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

They still sell Nanos.
Nanos are touch screen.

Only the shuffle's non-touch. Classics are gone now. Pick up a classic, fast, or a second-hand 5g nano.

(Even better, tell your friend to adapt or gently caress off. I've seen people with pretty long nails use smartphones.)

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
Classics aren't dead.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

... she has long fingernails.

She still has knuckles doesn't she?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

HERAK posted:

She still has knuckles doesn't she?

And a nose.
So disappointed they didn't update the Touch. Have they shown screens of what the white version looks like?

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Calaveron posted:

And a nose.
So disappointed they didn't update the Touch. Have they shown screens of what the white version looks like?
There was a slide of it during the show. It looks like an iPod touch except white.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009

moms pubis posted:

There was a slide of it during the show. It looks like an iPod touch except white.

Yeah it's up on the store now, zero changes aside from the color. Something tells me this division's profit margins will be extra high this quarter. :sigh:

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Some of these new clock faces on the Nano are luscious.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Are the Nanos any different physically? And can I buy them in a physical store yet, or do I have to order online?

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 5, 2011

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.
Man, I realllllly think Apple screwed the pooch by not updating the Touch. In my opinion, the Touch should always basically just be an iPhone without the phone part. I think one of the biggest advantages they had over Windows Mobile and and Android was that they had a phone-sized personal media player/gaming system you could use with wifi for no monthly fee.

I mean, it isn't like they cut the line or anything, but this effectively ends the Touch as a legitimate iOS gaming platform. I haven't seen the price on the iPhone 4s yet, so who knows? Maybe since it is based on the 4 they'll sell an unlocked version for nearly the same as a Touch used to go for, but somehow I doubt it.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Horseticuffs posted:

Man, I realllllly think Apple screwed the pooch by not updating the Touch. In my opinion, the Touch should always basically just be an iPhone without the phone part. I think one of the biggest advantages they had over Windows Mobile and and Android was that they had a phone-sized personal media player/gaming system you could use with wifi for no monthly fee.

I mean, it isn't like they cut the line or anything, but this effectively ends the Touch as a legitimate iOS gaming platform. I haven't seen the price on the iPhone 4s yet, so who knows? Maybe since it is based on the 4 they'll sell an unlocked version for nearly the same as a Touch used to go for, but somehow I doubt it.
What are you talking about? It doesn't do that at all. They've never updated the touch at the same time as the iPhone, and there's nothing to say they won't roll out a new touch in a few months like they always do. Even if the touch lags a little further behind the iPhone than usual due to their new release schedule, it's not like the fourth-gen touch has been rendered instantly obsolete. Support for the previous generation of devices has never been immediately dropped upon the release of a new one. The touch is still "an iPhone without the phone part," just without the extra-beefy hardware in the latest revision. It would be idiotic for a game developer to only target the absolute latest hardware.

moms pubis fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 5, 2011

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.

moms pubis posted:

What are you talking about? It doesn't do that at all. They've never updated the touch at the same time as the iPhone, and there's nothing to say they won't roll out a new touch in a few months like they always do. Even if the touch lags a little further behind the iPhone than usual due to their new release schedule, it's not like the fourth-gen touch has been rendered instantly obsolete. Support for the previous generation of devices has never been immediately dropped upon the release of a new one. The touch is still "an iPhone without the phone part," just without the extra-beefy hardware in the latest revision. It would be idiotic for a game developer to only target the absolute latest hardware.

Well, true that it isn't like every app from this point on will require a 4s, I'm sure the 4th generation Touch and iPhone will be just as well supported for just as long as the 3gs.

I'm still not certain, though, if they will have a separate conference about the iPod Touch. From what I understand they usually do, but isn't it traditionally at this time whereas the iPhone conference is generally in mid-summer? If that's the case do you suppose they are still going to have a Touch conference? I'm honestly wondering, as I'm quite new to iOS stuff.

Is it likely that between the 4s launching in a few weeks and the iPad 3 presumably launching in March or April of 2012 that they will have another conference regarding an upgraded iPod Touch, or that they might just issue a press release and just announce a release date for one?

Everything I've read online has seemed to imply that a white version and a price drop WAS the upgrade for the Touch this year.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So, does this mean that there is no 5th generation being released, or that the white IS the 5th generation? I was looking to buy an iPod Touch to replace my dying original Zune, and I don't know how to approach this. If the barely updated ones are 5th gen, should I expect to be able to snag a 4th gen at a discounted price within a few days from now?

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

BabyRyoga posted:

So, does this mean that there is no 5th generation being released, or that the white IS the 5th generation? I was looking to buy an iPod Touch to replace my dying original Zune, and I don't know how to approach this. If the barely updated ones are 5th gen, should I expect to be able to snag a 4th gen at a discounted price within a few days from now?

This doesn't constitute an update. Apple never updates the touch at the same time as the iPhone, and the hardware hasn't changed; the only difference is that now you can get a white one. They'll most likely update the touch a few months on from the iPhone update, like they always do.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I cover Apple news for a living, and I'm in with the camp thinking we might get a Touch update a few months from now, probably around the time the iPad 3 hits. I think Apple is willing to bear introducing A5 and A6 devices at the same time.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.
Well, I'll trust you gents on your opinions. As you say, hope springs eternal. Siri looks pretty awesome, and I'd sure love to check it out.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I need a new iPod regardless of whether or not a new one is coming out within the next two or three months, so that's settled.

Now my question is, how much do used iPods usually sell for? If a new one does come out, I'd like to sell the one I'm about to buy, to drum up funds for said new one.

As an aside, I probably wont do this in case I do decide to resell it, but does Apple.com still do iPhone engraving?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
iOS5 is up in case anyone isn't following other iOS threads :)

Really nice so far, picking up and moving around icons is considerably nicer. Just one little point but there's loads to mess about with.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Idioteque Dance posted:

iOS5 is up in case anyone isn't following other iOS threads :)

Really nice so far, picking up and moving around icons is considerably nicer. Just one little point but there's loads to mess about with.
Ha, I tried installing it last night before I went to bed and saw "Installing...5 hours remaining." So I went to bed and when I woke up I had errors that basically said "Install failed." My ipod's working fine, so I'll just try again in a few days when there aren't millions of people all trying at the same time.

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

jackpot posted:

Ha, I tried installing it last night before I went to bed and saw "Installing...5 hours remaining." So I went to bed and when I woke up I had errors that basically said "Install failed." My ipod's working fine, so I'll just try again in a few days when there aren't millions of people all trying at the same time.

Yea I had similar issues. It eventually figured it out itself and I did my iPod and my wife's iPod without a problem.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

skippo posted:

Yea I had similar issues. It eventually figured it out itself and I did my iPod and my wife's iPod without a problem.
I tried again last night, and even though it went faster, the warnings got scarier:

An error occurred while backing up this ipod (-50).
Would you like to continue to update this ipod?
Continuing will result in the loss of all contents of this ipod.

I'm just gonna wait a week before I try again.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
A good general rule is to manage all the things you want to sync on the device (by clicking the tick box in each category that you want saved), then just do a Sync then a Transfer Purchases then a Backup and you'll be safe. Then just do the restore and upgrade option - it ended up automatically downloading all my apps and podcasts (the only things I wanted syncing) straight back onto the device and still had my email set up, etc.

It didn't save the folders though so now I have to organise a 6-page mashup of unorganised poo poo all over my home screen!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
You guys know you can also download the ipsw (700+mb update file) manually, then hold shift (or option) while clicking upgrade or restore, and point it to the locally saved file? I just upgraded mine last night (from 4.1, even) much more easily than expected. Backup the old system, shift-restore to the new os, then the first step in setup will let you restore your settings from that backup (everything from saved wifi networks to home screen folders, for me). Other than the first sync taking a while to copy the whole music library, it couldn't have been faster.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I just started to notice that with iOS5 my ipod touch just isn't reading certain tags properly. Even if I delete them and tag them. iTunes is displaying them properly but my ipod isn't. I never had this issue before the upgrade. Anyone else noticing this?

e: Think I fixed it. For some reason the music app seems to be ignoring the ARTIST and purely organizing based on ALBUM ARTIST. Gonna keep trying more to see if it fixes them as it's only 4 or 5 albums.

2nd edit: I had to go into the actual windows explorer select the songs of the album and manually change the album artist in the file info and then load them onto the ipod. Even then it seems to be hit or miss on whether or not it actually works.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 15, 2011

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Akileese posted:

I just started to notice that with iOS5 my ipod touch just isn't reading certain tags properly. Even if I delete them and tag them. iTunes is displaying them properly but my ipod isn't. I never had this issue before the upgrade. Anyone else noticing this?

e: Think I fixed it. For some reason the music app seems to be ignoring the ARTIST and purely organizing based on ALBUM ARTIST. Gonna keep trying more to see if it fixes them as it's only 4 or 5 albums.

2nd edit: I had to go into the actual windows explorer select the songs of the album and manually change the album artist in the file info and then load them onto the ipod. Even then it seems to be hit or miss on whether or not it actually works.

There's now an option in the Music settings for whether or not to group by album artist. I love it; now I can have songs in VA compilations tagged with the individual artist without having my Artist list clogged with dozens of artists from whom I only have one song.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
So iOS 5 has some funny bugs

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
That's bizarre, never seen anything like that before. Might want to pass the word on to Apple.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Trying to update to iOS5 borked my 64GB Touch-4 big time.

Well, okay - on its own the device still works but iTunes won't even recognize it anymore. After the first failure I tried backing the thing up, and that failed. Kept at it, and now as soon as I plug it in iTunes says I have to restore it - which of course will erase everything and since it's not letting me do a backup...yeah. It's also saying I have 0 bytes available which isn't true, and even after deleting a few apps it still says that.

So now I'm scouring for third-party backup-copy programs, trying CopyTrans at the moment even though it won't do apps as well (and its copy screen says "There is a problem with your iPod library."

Can anyone recommend an outside-iTunes program/method for a full HD backup? Should I take mine in to an Apple store?

Or should I just bite the bullet and Restore-Erase the drat thing, cursing my timing of deleting my app archive last week since Apple now allows for cloud downloads and I had 50+ gigs of apps? (On top of the 30 or so GB of audio that I'm hopeful CopyTrans can save...)

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't had too many problems, only one I've had so far is the music player stuck in the menus, not reacting to any touch presses (pulling down notification tray still worked). As music isn't an app I had to hard reboot the iPod but it's been pretty smooth sailing otherwise. I imagine they'll patch it up soon.

Not sure about your problem, though I hear the Apple Store is indeed very helpful for support for these kind of issues.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nut Bunnies posted:

So iOS 5 has some funny bugs

Having the exact same issue. Is it possible to roll back to iOS4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Oh gently caress me. I forgot to transfer music from my ipod to my PC before updating to the new OS because I update all my music manually like a troglodyte.

Please nobody make the same mistake I did.

• Locked thread