Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Phantasium posted:

My favorite way is where if you try to grind in the Tales of Destiny remake an unbeatable version of the games superboss eventually spawns in the fight and beats your rear end.

It's only if you try to grind with the controller on auto, because he sits there (and lets you run) for 10-15 seconds (after announcing his presence and telling you to run) before wiping your party, though if you try to attack him he'll counter and kill whoever hit him. But if you've set the control stick to run in a circle with all characters on auto...

Prism fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why not make encounters have lower rewards instead of flipping the finger at people?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i think my favorite way of handling random encounter rates is skies of arcadia deciding "ok, the player's running in a straight line, they probably want to get somewhere so lower the encounter rate" or "ok, the player is running in circles, they probably want to grind"

wait what

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Why not make encounters have lower rewards instead of flipping the finger at people?

It has difficulty levels, if you don't want to grind just lower the difficulty, it's mostly just a neat easter egg.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It's an easter egg. He goes 'Why are you wasting so much time? Make up your mind: run or die here!'

Note that to trigger this you have to run in a circle on the world map for literally 20 minutes, have all characters set to automatic battle, and then not run away from him, which probably means you automated the grinding by putting a weight on the controller to run or something. If you're fighting things to level up yourself, and have any character NOT set to automatic battle, he's not going to kill you.

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 11, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

wait what

i don't really have a source, i was just talking about how few random encounters i run into playing skies of arcadia with someone and they mentioned that people toyed around with how movement affects the system and found that even just slightly wiggling the joystick made encounters happen more often than just running in a straight line did

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

because it's funny

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can someone help me with some English VA identification, cause it sounds so utterly familiar but it's been escaping me all night. The voice clip can be found at https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/08/10/dev-diary-8-lantry/

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Rascyc posted:

Can someone help me with some English VA identification, cause it sounds so utterly familiar but it's been escaping me all night. The voice clip can be found at https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/08/10/dev-diary-8-lantry/

Seems to be D.C. Douglas.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm glad to hear him all over more RPGs lately.

It's not really grinding related but Live A Live had two tough optional bosses related to running in the last area: one if you ran from battles 100 times (with a countdown for the last 10), and another if you entered the final boss room but then changed your mind and left. They're not really punishment given the rewards they drop but I found both on accident the first time and they're pretty rough.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

The Colonel posted:

i don't really have a source, i was just talking about how few random encounters i run into playing skies of arcadia with someone and they mentioned that people toyed around with how movement affects the system and found that even just slightly wiggling the joystick made encounters happen more often than just running in a straight line did

I feel like this is the case in a lot of RPGs, and while it may just be nonsense superstition, I always assumed it had something to do with moving through multiple coordinates at once. Like, if you're moving in a straight line, you're only moving along one axis and your location is changing very linearly, while if you're moving in different directions, especially with analog control, you're cycling though a wildly different set of coordinates very quickly, and if encounters are based on a number of coordinates traversed you'd get in battles more often.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

That'd be really cool. Either way, what a good game

HGH posted:

I'm glad to hear him all over more RPGs lately.

It's not really grinding related but Live A Live had two tough optional bosses related to running in the last area: one if you ran from battles 100 times (with a countdown for the last 10), and another if you entered the final boss room but then changed your mind and left. They're not really punishment given the rewards they drop but I found both on accident the first time and they're pretty rough.

It's kind of a janky game but I love all the experimental stuff Live A Live tried

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The quality-of-life improvements in Cold Steel II are just fantastic. Money isn't quite as scarce, and sidequests will now just give you a dialogue option to teleport back to whoever gave it ("We're done here. Head back now?"). They've even cleaned up some of the dodgier combat line reads instead of just reusing them all ("Turn to flhms!") and rebalanced the sound levels on others that got completely drowned out like Elliot's Seventh Symphony.

Though I miss Laura's original S-Craft line, because the one for upgraded version isn't as badass as "Behold; MY MOST POWERFUL STRIKE!" :black101:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Though I miss Laura's original S-Craft line, because the one for upgraded version isn't as badass as "Behold; MY MOST POWERFUL STRIKE!" :black101:

Give this some time.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get back to us after you Witness; The fruits of her training.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kanfy posted:

Seems to be D.C. Douglas.
Thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given the text bubbles in CS2 generally matching the spoken dialogue, I'm all but certain Blueblanc's VA is just throwing extra HaHA's in wherever he can for the hell of it.

And I love each and every one of them :allears:.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah that voice actor nailed it. As did most of the cast.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I've been playing a lot more Exist Archive, and it has gotten a lot better. The issue was that in Valkyrie Profile you basically start with every ability but in Archive it takes about ten hours to unlock all that stuff. Now that I have the equivalents of double jump, crystal freeze, crystal jump, and purify weird soul it's more interesting. The characters are pretty likable and the crystal stories are pretty much the einherjiar stories.

I found out the attack pauses happen when you either try and cycle someone attacks completely without someone else's in between, or you've paused when trying to attack a dead enemy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
New Bravely Default game is announced.

It's a mobile game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

New Bravely Default game is announced.

It's a mobile game

I hate this loving year so much.

This isn't the first BD mobile game though.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

We already have that, it's called Granblue Fantasy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Source on that?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://twitter.com/BDFE_OFFICIAL/status/796976966813368320

http://gematsu.com/2016/11/bravely-default-fairys-effect-announced-smartphones

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
if you wanted a new bravely default game after bravely second, you probably have the kind brain damage that limits you to mobile games anyway

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I'm upset I knew what that spoiler was without clicking it.

hubris.height posted:

if you wanted a new bravely default game after bravely second, you probably have the kind brain damage that limits you to mobile games anyway

How come? I thought Second was an improvement on Default. I am a sucker for job systems though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Airy's Ffect? What the hell is a Ffect?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

How come? I thought Second was an improvement on Default. I am a sucker for job systems though.

He's doing that "I didn't like the game ergo I'm going to pretend it was widely hated and everyone despised it despite there being no evidence to back this up" thing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hackan Slash posted:

I thought BD2's plot meandered like hell, trying to juggle between the Baals and their history and the evil empire faction without really integrating both of them well. The combat also got super boring since it was way incredibly easy to break. It didn't even have the benefit of the 4x job fights seen in BD1's Ch. 7 (I think it was 7?).

I thought Yew was also an annoying as hell protagonist. Should have made Ringabel the main character.

Edit: I haven't heard any words on Tyranny yet. Did this go unnoticed?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 11, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit: I haven't heard any words on Tyranny yet. Did this go unnoticed?

The words are mostly in the Tyranny thread. It's here.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 11, 2016

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ImpAtom posted:

He's doing that "I didn't like the game ergo I'm going to pretend it was widely hated and everyone despised it despite there being no evidence to back this up" thing.

my posts are my own opinions and not those of any others. when it came out i was very excited to get more jobs and see what they could do with a world now that they were being given money. what I got was a lot of jobs -- a plus -- and an insane amount of reused assets, dungeons, and content and a lovely twist. these two negatives could have been forgiven if there were endearing character moments, but there are none and the money had apparently been used to pay everyone's utility bills instead of work on the game

corn in the Bible will vouch for me, I tried to defend the game itt but the longer I think about it, the more retroactively disappointed I am

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

hubris.height posted:

see what they could do with a world now that they were being given money.

That's a laugh

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I really enjoyed Bravely Second :shobon: Even if that one sidequest was disturbing as gently caress re: starkly showing the difference between Japanese and western work culture.

Also yeah if you thought Bravely Second had a budget you were sorely mistaken.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also BS didn't sell nearly as well as the first game did. It was kind of a surprise hit.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Terper posted:

That's a laugh

considering what they did with less in the first game, i just assumed they'd do more. disregard that part of my argument, if you feel it's unfair

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

considering what they did with less in the first game, i just assumed they'd do more. disregard that part of my argument, if you feel it's unfair

It is unfair. The game you played wasn't the version that was originally released. A lot of the content in Bravely Default's English release is actually stuff they did while working on the sequel. The Japanese version of the release we got is actually called "For The Sequel" in fact. The first game was a bit of a mess in the original Japanese release and a lot of what works about it (including, for example, the ability to manipulate random encounter rates) is exclusive to the updated port which itself was recycling ideas they were already putting into the sequel, such as the Bravely Second mechanic.

It's also worth remembering we didn't get Bravely Default until Bravely Second was well into development, so assuming it got a hugely increased budget isn't entirely justified. Maybe they looked back at it after the sales numbers over doubled thanks to For The Sequel getting an overseas release but more likely than not they were given a relatively small budget to work. When Bravely Second was greenlit nobody in the US had ever played Bravely Default and in fact For The Sequel was specifically released to build hype and address the negative response to the first game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 11, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Chapters 5 through 8 were far worse in the original release. No way to manipulate encounters at all, and the boss fights in chapters 7 and 8 were exactly the same as the chapter 5 and 6 boss fights.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it was released as a full game, separate from the original, meant to stand on its own. if the publisher dicks over the developer by cutting a game in half, that's another argument.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

it was released as a full game, separate from the original, meant to stand on its own. if the publisher dicks over the developer by cutting a game in half, that's another argument.

By any reasonable measure Bravely Second is a full game. It contains recycled content but almost exclusively that recycled content is in the game's side quests, not its main quest which is pretty much entirely new dungeons and new areas. (It does reuse old towns) Even if you just decided to not touch any of the sidequests ever for some reason you have a game that is about as long and contains about as much content as Bravely Default did.

Like yeah, I ain't gonna pretend Bravely Second doesn't recycle a lot of poo poo but pretending it's not a 'full game' is kind of silly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also Yew is cool and good