Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Charging a mbp with your pixel charger works surprisingly well in a pinch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wish Google would steal Samsung's dual messenger feature and put on the Pixel. It's really nice for use edge cases like mine, I have personal and work WhatsApp accounts and Pushbullet can't bridge the two, so I'm stuck with it being local to each phone.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Hey if you're default language isn't ENG(US) and you can't figure out why you can't use assistant while offline, it's because you need to download another voice model pack, like ENG(CA).

As far as I can tell, you won't get a message suggesting this anywhere.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I recently got a MacBook Pro at work. Would it be bad to charge my Pixel 1 with that charger?

I only use MacBook Pro chargers with my Pixel.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is it possible in some distant future, that Messaging/Allo/Duo may merge into a single app?

I like the features they all have, but trying to get anyone I know to actually switch to one or the other is like pulling teeth. Hell Allo has some great features for some people who I do a lot of planning with, but getting them to switch to yet Another messaging app is asking too much.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
@ Pixel 2 owners, do you use Gboard or a third party keyboard? It keeps occasionally crashing or closing the keyboard when typing things in Facebook/FB Messenger just frequently enough to be annoying and usually happens mid-sentence so I inevitably end up sending random stickers or emojis into my work group chat because my thumbs are already going to town. It seems to be localized to FB so I'm inclined to think it's a FB text box rendering issue, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever had this problem

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

Is it possible in some distant future, that Messaging/Allo/Duo may merge into a single app?

I like the features they all have, but trying to get anyone I know to actually switch to one or the other is like pulling teeth. Hell Allo has some great features for some people who I do a lot of planning with, but getting them to switch to yet Another messaging app is asking too much.

If anything it's possible Google splits them up into even more apps.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Turdsdown Tom posted:

@ Pixel 2 owners, do you use Gboard or a third party keyboard? It keeps occasionally crashing or closing the keyboard when typing things in Facebook/FB Messenger just frequently enough to be annoying and usually happens mid-sentence so I inevitably end up sending random stickers or emojis into my work group chat because my thumbs are already going to town. It seems to be localized to FB so I'm inclined to think it's a FB text box rendering issue, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever had this problem

I don't use a third party keyboard but I had noticed some weirdness a while back where sometimes I wouldn't be able to type anything. Keyboard would be up, I'd get all the visual and haptic feedback of typing (i.e. autosuggestion would work as though I was typing what I was) but no text would end up in the field. Seemed to be limited to Hangouts and Allo, and it hasn't recurred in a while.

On the other hand, maybe it's trying to sync a library or something lol

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I only use MacBook Pro chargers with my Pixel.

The Pixelbook charger works as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

No, the Google trajectory is MORE messaging apps, not fewer.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

If anything it's possible Google splits them up into even more apps.

Our newest innovation: an app that only lets you message one person per device (text only, to send pictures is a separate app)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Pixel 2 XL with SwiftKey, and my main group chat with my friends is in fb messenger. Haven't had this issue.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
There's no reason for combining them. The way their are is actually the best way to avoid the mess you end up with you do it the iMessage way.

I'm on Android, but I have a Mac so I technically have a messenger account, my email, so no phone number and several people have added me to large group chats with my apple ID email, so I don't see the messages. The chat it already iMessage so they can't add my cell and switch it to MISS, they'd have to start a whole new chat.

With Allo/messenger/duo being separated because they are 100% unrelated makes it was easier. They tried it with Hangouts and everyone complained anyways.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's no reason for combining them. The way their are is actually the best way to avoid the mess you end up with you do it the iMessage way.

I'm on Android, but I have a Mac so I technically have a messenger account, my email, so no phone number and several people have added me to large group chats with my apple ID email, so I don't see the messages. The chat it already iMessage so they can't add my cell and switch it to MISS, they'd have to start a whole new chat.

With Allo/messenger/duo being separated because they are 100% unrelated makes it was easier. They tried it with Hangouts and everyone complained anyways.

Did I have a stroke or is this complete gibberish?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

drat so true. In another year we will probably have another 2 or three apps that don't talk to each other in any way.

As for Pixel 2 Keyboard, I use Fleksy. It's going through some transition, but its still my favorite due to the swipe for punctuation and deletion.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
christ almighty the pixel moving pictures are like 8MB each

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

strap on revenge posted:

And? Is this somehow an issue?

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Did the recent Chrome update break the color matching of the home button bar?

It is staying white even on sites with a black theme

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

strap on revenge posted:

pixel owners get unlimited photo storage so what is your dang point

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So my google home just started playing the circle of life at full volume

forgot about that alarm lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Hahaha.

I mentioned that because I onetime drunkenly set that to my alarm ringtone and had a very hilarious rude awakening one morning

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Hahaha. Would have been freaky if there was a Home Mini next to it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Epiphyte posted:

Did the recent Chrome update break the color matching of the home button bar?

It is staying white even on sites with a black theme

I'm pretty sure it isn't broken but in fact removed but I can't find where I read this.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

nimper posted:

pixel owners get unlimited photo storage so what is your dang point

FunOne posted:

And? Is this somehow an issue?

my home internet upload speed peaks at 100KB/s so yes if i want to do anything while it's being uploaded to google photos or i want to send a picture to someone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

strap on revenge posted:

my home internet upload speed peaks at 100KB/s so yes if i want to do anything while it's being uploaded to google photos or i want to send a picture to someone

Dude we can't help that it works poorly in 1995 but here in 2018 8MB is literally instantaneous both at home and on mobile.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

:stare: goondolences

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

:australia:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Is there any clean way to stop notifications from playing over bluetooth but instead just from my phone speakers? I never use bluetooth headsets, and really don't like my podcasts being interrupted by 50 hangout messages while I drive. Pixel 2 XL.....

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

strap on revenge posted:

:eyepop::eyepop:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

strap on revenge posted:

R I P

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

The temperature in my Google Weather notification keeps showing up in Fahrenheit, my homescreen has the temperature in Celsius and the setting in the app is Celsius.
On a Google Pixel XL.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ROJO posted:

Is there any clean way to stop notifications from playing over bluetooth but instead just from my phone speakers? I never use bluetooth headsets, and really don't like my podcasts being interrupted by 50 hangout messages while I drive. Pixel 2 XL.....

I haven't tried it but supposedly you can do it on Galaxy devices, so I expect a native solution soon-ish.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ROJO posted:

There are some Bluetooth options in developer options like in-band ringing that look like they might help.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

strap on revenge posted:

I suggest upgrading your modem to one of those new ones that can do 56k.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ROJO posted:

It's a lovely workaround but I just put on DND mode.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

ROJO posted:

I have this problem but on my android auto headunit. It's especially annoying when it's an app that isn't supported by android auto so I just get pauses or volume lowering of my music/podcast but no visual notification.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Developer options, Disable in band ringing?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is there an updated version of the list of Phones That Matter from the OP? It's about time to upgrade my Galaxy S6 Active, but I'm a bit tired of Samsung and would like to know what other viable options I have if I'm willing to go unlocked. (I'd like something with a headphone jack or I'd just default to the Pixel 2 obv)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

loquacius posted:

Is there an updated version of the list of Phones That Matter from the OP? It's about time to upgrade my Galaxy S6 Active, but I'm a bit tired of Samsung and would like to know what other viable options I have if I'm willing to go unlocked. (I'd like something with a headphone jack or I'd just default to the Pixel 2 obv)

Pixel XL 1
LG v30

Would probably be the two I'd recommend in the "Not a Samsung but still has a headphone jack category"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

dongles are the future