Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Annath posted:

Fermented pepper sauce recipe go!

My previous, first, completely winging-it attempt went... weird.
Chop peppers, add enough brine to cover (5% is the safety first number, lower depending on your preferences/fermentation conditions) in a fermentation vessel (e.g. a mason jar with a airlock lid), wait a couple weeks, hit the mash with a stick blender until smooth, put it through a strainer, the liquid that makes it through is your hot sauce. I usually add about half as much rice vinegar as I have strained liquid, less if the peppers fermented longer, more if they didn't ferment as much.

You can vary this in any number of ways---adding different poo poo to the mash (garlic, onions, whatever in addition to the peppers), adding different poo poo to the brine, varying the fermentation time, varying the processing afterward, and so on and so on. But at heart the method is just peppers+brine+time, then purée and strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh, I totally forgot to tell you guys that the boiled stone crab from the other day turned out absolutely delicious.

What did you end up boiling it in? I love that Japanese guy's videos, but he is specially licensed by the government to prepare some stuff so to discourage folks trying to prepare fugu and killing themselves he doesn't really share recipes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

SubG posted:

Chop peppers, add enough brine to cover (5% is the safety first number, lower depending on your preferences/fermentation conditions) in a fermentation vessel (e.g. a mason jar with a airlock lid), wait a couple weeks, hit the mash with a stick blender until smooth, put it through a strainer, the liquid that makes it through is your hot sauce. I usually add about half as much rice vinegar as I have strained liquid, less if the peppers fermented longer, more if they didn't ferment as much.

You can vary this in any number of ways---adding different poo poo to the mash (garlic, onions, whatever in addition to the peppers), adding different poo poo to the brine, varying the fermentation time, varying the processing afterward, and so on and so on. But at heart the method is just peppers+brine+time, then purée and strain.

I have two big 1 gallon fermentation jars with air locks. About how many pounds of peppers would you recommend per gallon jar? Obviously a gallon of peppers isn't going to be a gallon of sauce, but that's the size of jars I have.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Annath posted:

What did you end up boiling it in? I love that Japanese guy's videos, but he is specially licensed by the government to prepare some stuff so to discourage folks trying to prepare fugu and killing themselves he doesn't really share recipes.

5 cups of water, half a cup of ACV, quarter of a cup of dark Soy Sauce, tablespoon of sugar, a big old splash of Mirin. Boiled 1 stone crab for 12 minutes covered. Also had 4 cleaned blue crabs, just coated those with some lemon pepper and curry powder, pressure steamed for 3 minutes in the IP, quick release. Cooked perfectly.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 30, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
What small improvements or purchases for your kitchen have made your life way better than you expected?

So far, a magnetic knife strip and rubber spatulas are my two "holy poo poo, how has my kitchen been without this all my life" things

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Edit: phone double post

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

captkirk posted:

What small improvements or purchases for your kitchen have made your life way better than you expected?

So far, a magnetic knife strip and rubber spatulas are my two "holy poo poo, how has my kitchen been without this all my life" things

Kerry Gold butter and Maldon's sea salt. Can't remember life before them.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

captkirk posted:

A mandolin. Knife skills are great, and everyone should practice them - but the speed with which I can julienne with the mandolin makes it indispensable. I get perfect match-sticked carrots every time, and it can cut zucchini into perfect spaghetti-like strands in seconds. Toss it in the dishwasher and it’s clean. Best 30 bux I ever spent.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

captkirk posted:

Bench scrapers are gods gift to cleaning up after anything involving working directly on the countertop

And also I guess you can cut some dough with them sometimes???

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Second salt pig for MSG

Multiple small mixing bowls

Google Home to do portioning and unit conversion on the fly

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Dozens of prep bowls that I've picked up from thrift stores every time I go

and I'll second a bench scraper

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I used regular plain mixing bowls for a long time. Now I have silicone-bottomed mixing bowls with measurement markings and snap-on lids, and I'm never going back

mushroom slicer -- unitasker and I dgaf, I love it

my rice cooker was like $15 about 10 years ago, still flawless

Joseph Joseph has a bunch of clever poo poo. In order of frequency of use: the big scoop, the garlic mincer, herb scissors, rolling pin with thickness guides, and slanted cutting board with a huge gutter

kitchen scale. Also like $15 at Target in 2007. I've changed the batteries once

microplane obv

mini measuring cup

huge stack of disposable 8x8"s to bring food to parties/events

silicone ball whisk!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I made a splatter shield so I could throw things at the trash can from across the kitchen. Life improved immeasurably.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Huge fuckin cutting board - 24" x 18"

Huge fuckin cake lifter for when the normal bench scraper isn't cutting it

Huge fuckin levered citrus press - if I'm juicing any more than one lemon, I use it

Polder probe thermometer / timer - we've since gotten a thermoworks too, but the Polder lets you repeat a finished timer with one button press

Carbon steel pan

Vitamix

Actual cast iron tortilla press to replace the supermarket aluminum crap

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Second on the metal prep bowls in various sizes, plus a whole range of little ramekins etc to hold prepped ingredients.
Also a heat diffuser to use on my hob for when I’m simmering something in a pot for a long time, it really helps to spread the heat and makes such a difference.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Same on a lot of these, but for me personally, one of the biggest is silicone baking mats. Good lord do I hate fighting parchment paper that's trying to roll back up, or it's too big for standard sheets so I have to cut to fit every time, etc...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Drywall scraper for wet dough. Pegboard for organizing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Annath posted:

I have two big 1 gallon fermentation jars with air locks. About how many pounds of peppers would you recommend per gallon jar? Obviously a gallon of peppers isn't going to be a gallon of sauce, but that's the size of jars I have.
Just fill the fermentation vessel, leaving enough headspace that you can cover everything with like an inch of brine. If it's a carboy or something shaped like that I'd leave enough room that you can do peppers + inch of brine without filling the shoulders and neck.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

SubG posted:

Just fill the fermentation vessel, leaving enough headspace that you can cover everything with like an inch of brine. If it's a carboy or something shaped like that I'd leave enough room that you can do peppers + inch of brine without filling the shoulders and neck.

Cool. And just to make sure, I let the peppers ferment BEFORE mashing/pureeing?

E: and, when I do the puree, I leave the brine in, or drain it off first?

Annath fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 1, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Annath posted:

Cool. And just to make sure, I let the peppers ferment BEFORE mashing/pureeing?

E: and, when I do the puree, I leave the brine in, or drain it off first?
Chop, brine, ferment, purée. Or that's the way I usually do it. You can ferment whole peppers if you want, but unless you want to save some to use whole it just makes 'em harder to purée, and you'll need to use a weight to keep them underwater. And some people purée first (this helps yield a smoother final mash if you're using tougher peppers). You can approach it in a lot of ways, and it'll pretty much all work.

I usually purée with the brine before filtering everything. You could also drain and reserve the brine, purée the peppers, and then slowly add brine back in to get a specific consistency. I'm usually going for something that'll work with woozy dripper inserts, but if you want something with the consistency of sriracha you'll not want to use all the brine so you get a thicker sauce.

Anyway, it's pretty hard to gently caress up. When I was first getting into it, I just used mason jars so I could try out several different approaches simultaneously. I'll still do that when I'm trying something out---mixing different kinds of peppers, adding other poo poo in addition to the peppers, or whatever.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ended up grabbing around 5lbs of habaneros, 4 mangoes, and a bag of garlic.

I think I'll puree them before the fermentation, because that'll help keep everything below the waterline.

First time using mangoes, so that'll be interesting.

Last time I tried this, I used Jalepenos, and the fermentation killed like ALL of the heat, so I figure Habaneros will hold up better, and the fermentation will moderate the extreme heat rather than eliminating it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Annath posted:

I think I'll puree them before the fermentation, because that'll help keep everything below the waterline.

I don't think this is true though, since the puree will float and will find its way around any weight you put on. I use the "ziplock baggies filled with water" method to keep out oxygen.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BrianBoitano posted:

I don't think this is true though, since the puree will float and will find its way around any weight you put on. I use the "ziplock baggies filled with water" method to keep out oxygen.

Hmm, well I'll think on it haha.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My friend who is a caterer brought me an amazing look untouched steak that was leftovers. It’s cooked rare just the way I liked it, and my question revolves around that fact. How do I best warm it up without overcooking/ruining it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any decent shrimp boil recipes that don't use sausage? Shrimp, fish and chicken are fine but pork and beef are out. I've got a big container of generic Old Bay and a hankering.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can just do shrimp + corn + potatoes + old bay and whatever level of spice you like.

Hot take: it's way better with each ingredient cooked separately until just done. When I do "shrimp boil," I boil the shrimp and steam the corn. Potatoes can be boiled separately or, and this is an even hotter take, boiled/smashed/baked.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Megasabin posted:

My friend who is a caterer brought me an amazing look untouched steak that was leftovers. It’s cooked rare just the way I liked it, and my question revolves around that fact. How do I best warm it up without overcooking/ruining it?

Sous vide, whether with an immersion circulator or just in a cooler with hot water. Toss it in a zip-top bag, squeeze as much air out as you can, throw it in the hot water until it's reached your desired temp. Eat.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there any decent shrimp boil recipes that don't use sausage? Shrimp, fish and chicken are fine but pork and beef are out. I've got a big container of generic Old Bay and a hankering.
My gulf coast grandmother always boils shrimp head and shells on with a few peppercorns, some salt, a lemon cut in half, half an onion, and a stalk of celery. Peel at the table and dip in melted butter/squirt with lemon. Super simple and lets good, fresh shrimp taste like shrimp instead of old bay or w/e. If you call ahead your fishmonger might save you some shrimp shells/heads for cheap you could throw in whatever else you did for some shrimpyflavor.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Admiral Joeslop posted:

FWIW, chicken sausage has become increasingly popular and is now widely available at quality levels which were hard to find in the past.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cool, thanks everyone. I'll wing something with all that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SubG posted:

I usually purée with the brine before filtering everything. You could also drain and reserve the brine, purée the peppers, and then slowly add brine back in to get a specific consistency.

This is what I do, except I tend to add vinegar back in rather than brine. It depends on what peppers I'm using and the heat level I want.

For habanero, I drain the brine, puree peppers, run that through a strainer, then add vinegar and a little brine (like 5:1 or something). This ends up with something along the lines of a habanero Tabasco sauce.

For jalapeño, I drain the brine, puree the peppers, add just enough vinegar to have the peppers puree cleanly, then add xanthan gum (1/8 tsp per 1 cup of liquid; any more and you'll make very spicy mucilage glue) to keep a consistent texture. This ends up with something along the lines of a sriracha.

You're going to have to experiment with what you want, but it's really not tough and only takes about a week per batch.

You don't need to use your carboys or whatever either - I use one of these guys. Burp it daily, but if you miss no real problem, it'll pop the top to relieve pressure if it needs to. About 2-4 cups of peppers per batch.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 1, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Midniter posted:

Sous vide, whether with an immersion circulator or just in a cooler with hot water. Toss it in a zip-top bag, squeeze as much air out as you can, throw it in the hot water until it's reached your desired temp. Eat.

I'd also recommend a paper towel dry after SV, followed by 30 seconds per side on a screaming hot skillet. If you have a heat gun, that does the drying and crisping at the same time!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ended up not having quite enough peppers for 2 full gallons, but that's fine.

I ended up roughly quartering all the peppers, and added some diced mangoes and lots of garlic.

It's roughly a 3% brine by weight, a little over. Just pickling salt and water. Didn't see anything saying to add vinegar until after the fermentation, so good thing I didn't do that :v:

The jar on the left is skewed with more garlic and less mango, which will be interesting. I'll stick them in a cabinet for a few weeks and then see what I want to do as far as consistency. Right now I'm thinking make some thicker, like Sriracha, and some thinner like McIllhenny/Tabasco.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I wonder if I could kickstart the fermentation by adding the lactobacillus culture from one of those healthy digestion capsules or some live yogurt?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'm not a fermentation expert but I just read The Art of Fermentation (by Katz) and based on that book the fact that you have a somewhat low salinity (and presumably not a freezing cold house) it should ferment pretty quickly without help using only the lactobacilli that were already hanging out on your peps.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Agreed. I'd start tasting after 3 days. You may end up wanting to scoop some into a jar as chopped fermented peppers for hotdogs / eggs etc around that time. When I did sriracha, it only took a week to be where I wanted it, and I had more salt.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Does anyone have a good prep/recipe video for Golombki/cabbage rolls?

I keep trying to make them like my grandma did but they just fall apart and I end up with a stew. Which is good! But not what I'm going for. Mostly looking for the rolling technique.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Tom Gorman posted:

Does anyone have a good prep/recipe video for Golombki/cabbage rolls?

I keep trying to make them like my grandma did but they just fall apart and I end up with a stew. Which is good! But not what I'm going for. Mostly looking for the rolling technique.

I find that the rolls really only work with the bigger outer leaves, so buy several heads of cabbage to work with (I turn the middle bits into coleslaw or sauerkraut, depending on the season). Very quickly blanch the leaves in boiling salted water and scoop them out just as they’ve softened. Use much less filling than you think- a scant half cup at most- and place it on the left “third” of the leaf. Fold the top and bottom in first and then roll tightly. It’s not cheating to use a toothpick to secure the roll while you finish the rest. Finally, the filling should be cold as hell to help it hold its shape through the rolling process.

If you have more filling than leaves, roll it up into meatballs. They bake or poach nicely but are a little fragile for pan frying. You can also line a loaf pan with lots of overlapping leaves and fold them all in to the middle around a log of filling, paint it with sauce, and bake- my husband calls this the “ur-lombki” and he loves it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Got some good bubble action forming! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Really dumb question - I have some pieces of frozen salmon vacuum sealed in plastic. All I need to do is put the pieces of frozen salmon in the fridge to thaw for 24 hours? Just put the piece of salmon still in the plastic in a bowl or something?