Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uugengiven
Aug 21, 2007
Shows on the bear where you touched him
I had mentioned in the Shadowrun thread that I was working on a complete redo of the system. I really like the world of Shadowrun, cyberpunk in general and how absurdly deadly the Shadowrun system can be but I hated the fact that it was impossible for me as the GM to make encounters that would actually be balanced around the party. Along with fact that different systems are written by different people who don't agree on anything, dealing with the actual rules of Shadowrun became less worth it to my group.

I've written somewhere in the range of 15000 words on the rule book, I'm getting nearly done on that. We've had weekly play/test sessions for months now and we're pretty happy with the rules and are now starting to expand. The fiction of the world is now different from Shadowrun but the feel is very similar. As soon as I have a full draft of the rules that someone could read and understand without someone from my gaming group talking them through it, I'll post it.

But for now, I wanted to share one of the early bits of art that we've done. In the fiction of the world, there is serious tension between Russia and the corporations that make up the old USA. Part of the war between them is propaganda. This is one of the posters that rebels put up around corporate enclaves. The text below it will say "Resist" or "Fight" in Russian, I'm waiting on getting the proper word from a native speaker.

http://1drv.ms/1n6JtTf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Hey guys, remember that other project I was talking about three months ago?

Well, that too is finished! Nice Things for Fighters takes a bold step in 3rd Party Pathfinder by not only acknowledging how bad Fighters and martials have it, but seeks to bridge the gap by giving them an assortment of awesome new feats, archetypes, and traits!

Affect insubstantial ghosts with your physical attacks by taking the Undead Slayer feat!

Become a Grappling Cord Acrobat and zip around the battlefield like that Rodriguez dude from Just Cause 2!

Get fast with the Mobile Onslaught feat, which allows you to move up to your base speed and full attack/flurry of blows in the same round!

Christmas comes early for Pathfinder Fighters this year, so why not treat your campaign's warriors to this nice little sourcebook?

Big thanks to the minmaxboards.com community for spotting mechanical errors and discrepancies.

Paizo link.

Drive-Thru RPG link (should be available in a few days).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh boy, feats.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh boy, feats.

Not just any feats, but feats which allow Barbarians, Fighters, and Monks to do cool poo poo. Like gaining a temporary Fly speed by jumping really high with Dancing on the Wind, or replicating the Telekinesis spell with Herculean Strength by throwing huge objects, the ability to knock away ranged touch spells with Deflect Rays in a manner similar to Deflect Arrows, and other things which are largely in the realm of spellcasters in Pathfinder material.

Don't worry, I don't just give static bonuses to things and call it a day. I'm very aware of 3rd Edition's shortcomings, and my martial fixes are built with those things in mind.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 21, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, cool, now how many feats do those three classes get?

And how many do they have to give up to do one cool thing, and at the cost of what basic combat functionality from the feats they didn't put into the endless treadmill of feats-i-need-for-my-build?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Okay, cool, now how many feats do those three classes get?

And how many do they have to give up to do one cool thing, and at the cost of what basic combat functionality from the feats they didn't put into the endless treadmill of feats-i-need-for-my-build?

A lot of their prerequisites don't require a lot of feats to take. No expansive feat trees here. A lot of them are level-based prerequisites, restricting some of the more powerful ones to martial classes because a lot of spellcasters wouldn't want to give up 7 caster levels to take Dancing on the Wind, for example.

For example, Elemental Energy Slice (which converts all physical damage to energy damage with a magic weapon) requires no feats, but BAB +3, proficiency with all martial weapons, and 3 ranks in Spellcraft. In exchange, you can harness the power in your magic flaming sword and deal pure fire damage instead of 2d6+Strength physical damage and 1d6 fire.

Herculean Strength requires Strength 15 and 8 levels in Fighter or Barbarian.

All but 3 of them require more than 2 feats as a prerequisite, and those are Hydra's Rush (3 feats), Mobile Onslaught (3 feats), and Scourge of the Battlefield (5 feats).

31 of the feats only require 0 or 1 other feats before they can be taken. And there are 43 feats total in Nice Things for Fighters.

So most of the cool things don't require feat-intensive builds. If anything, the steepest prerequisites are stuff like Fighter level 7+ to encourage niche protection.

In regards to archetypes, I swapped out some of the bleh standard Fighter class features in exchange for cool stuff. For example, the Grappling Cord Acrobat can disarm and trip opponents 60 feet away with his grappling wristband in exchange for losing medium and heavy armor proficiency, pull himself towards larger objects (and pull smaller objects towards himself) in exchange for the normal benefits of weapon training at 5th level, and tie his melee weapon to his grappling cord to turn his melee attacks into a 60 foot ranged attack in exchange for weapon training at 9th level.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 21, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Work on my homebrew supplement for Pokemon Tabletop United has been coming slowly. I've gotten a little feedback from the Pokemon Tabletop forum, but I would like to get more.

Here are the base rules I am working off of: Download

This is the work that I feel is complete enough to get feedback
Overview of setting
Bushou rules
A list of weapons
Checklist of what needs to be in each province

Also, I'm interested in learning more about the Sengoku-Jidai period of Japan. My main reference point on this time period is playing Samurai Warriors 2, which admittedly isn't a bad source for a Pokemon RPG (especially one based on a spin-off that's a cross-over with that series) but I want to have a more academic resource.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 9, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I may as well crosspost to this thread as well, all things considered.

I have been working on a Fate hack which is a li'l bit Core, a li'l bit FAE, a li'l bit stealing-mechanics-from-other-systems-and-adapting-them, and a li'l bit not very finished and in need of excessive playtesting regardless.

Some of the language is clumsy, some is a bit overwrought, some is missing entirely - but I thought I'd show it and get a little feedback (if any) from you guys. Feel free to ask questions or whatever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I took a break from working on an AW hack for school reasons. I'm just getting back to it and I'm having a few problems.

I'm wondering, for example how important it is to keep it a class system. I'm thinking of breaking it apart into a more free form, pick your moves situation. I feel the class structure would lead to players feeling restricted.

I'm also wondering if having all "class moves" alter what a player can do with the basic moves is a good idea. So, having a certain move might allow you to pick a special option if you desired.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I've been working on and off on a couple of projects for awhile now, i'm pretty close to having a prototype ready for a game inspired by B/X style play. It's not a retroclone at all though, no D20s or whatever. I just wanted to make a simplified system that could be used for West Marches/Megadungeon type play that has really quick character generation. I'm setting myself a deadline of July 1st to have some play testable.

I forgot to post about it, but setting a deadline really helped me stay focused. I have a super rough draft of the game rules that i've been editing and play testing since the first. Set deadlines for yourself, it totally works!

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Covok posted:

I'm wondering, for example how important it is to keep it a class system. I'm thinking of breaking it apart into a more free form, pick your moves situation. I feel the class structure would lead to players feeling restricted.

Restrictions often breed creativity (and *World games are highly unrestricted aside from having classes), and there are good reasons to have classes (e.g., easier to balance, helps avoid option overload for players). Unless you have a more concrete reason to abandon classes, it seems like a big design risk to me.

quote:

I'm also wondering if having all "class moves" alter what a player can do with the basic moves is a good idea. So, having a certain move might allow you to pick a special option if you desired.

All? No, I don't see why that would be good in particular. The interesting moves are usually the ones that stand on their own as a new thing you can do. If anything, I think you'd end up with a stronger game if no moves modified other moves.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Covok posted:

I took a break from working on an AW hack for school reasons. I'm just getting back to it and I'm having a few problems.

As eth0.n pointed out there are good reasons, both mechanical and fictional for having a specific niche carved out for every player to inhabit.

But a class doesn't have to be a class in the strictest sense of the word.

Months ago someone was talking about making an Elder Scrolls Hack of Dungeon World, but had the same kind of roadblock about 'classes in a classless setting' and I suggested using the In-game 'signs' that characters can be born under as the playbooks. Each one being a very small playbook, and then going from there into free-form. A fighty sneak mage born under the sign of the ritual would still stand distinct from a fighty sneak mage born under the sign of the lady, or the lovers, or the ritual, etc.

*apologies if you're not overly familiar with the elder scrolls games.

My point being this, you should choose a character element that is unique in your world and build your niches out of that, whether it's 'the method in which I punch people' or 'personal philosophy' or 'the religion I follow'.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I should mention that I read both your posts pretty much when they were posted and, have since, taken your advice. I would have mentioned it earlier, but forgot to.

Edit: On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to make those fancy curly line decorations in scribus? You know, like a box with a bunch of lines curly off it?

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 23, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Covok posted:

I should mention that I read both your posts pretty much when they were posted and, have since, taken your advice. I would have mentioned it earlier, but forgot to.

Edit: On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to make those fancy curly line decorations in scribus? You know, like a box with a bunch of lines curly off it?

Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Working a project called Wizard Battle, I ran a tentative version of it during a game I ran a while back, Cheat Game, as the ultimate game winning title. The game will be a very complicated one due to the time travel mechanics; rule explanations relating to manipulate time span a total of two pages in this relatively short 30 page game doc (no images except title page). I feel the overtly complicated nature of the game will put off many players who would otherwise buy it. What sort of options are available to me to reduce this effect, beyond 'lie in marketing and watch as the wrong demographic gives me bad reviews'?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Also maybe I should release Murder Aboard Spaceship Nu rules (New Nu edition)? The hardest part with this game is simplifying the rules down to something that can be run by a sane human being. Games where the position of pieces on the board is hidden to the players are almost impossible to run offline/without a computer program.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, this game finally ate my brain. It's Thunderbirds by way of BLACK SEVEN. Very rough playtest draft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipgb9dpi8renakr/rescue_squad.pdf

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I've drafted up a short game designed for one-shots called ¡Viva San Judas! It's a political satire in the vein of Tropico, in which a government lurches from crisis to crisis as its officials try to get credit for their ineffective schemes to fix the crises. Please let me know what you think of it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2l7NUpcj-4GNUREVHl4TU5PS2s/edit?usp=sharing

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Anyone got any experience writing adventure modules? I'm working on a 13th Age one and have finished what I feel is a content-complete draft. Click the image to get at it.

I don't actually use pre-written adventures ever, so I'm not sure what the optimum amount of fluff is and at present the format is pretty inconsistent regarding what is or isn't in italics.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'm actually trying to start a thread for adventure writing.

I'm not too familiar with 13th Age, but as a GM, one thing I like in the first few pages is an overview of how you expect the adventure will unfold (even in a sandbox format, you probably expect some plot events to lead into other plot events, right?) along with any hooks you've prepared to get characters involved in the plot.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Gotten back into working on my martial arts game, Battle Royale (I really wish I could think of a better title. I suck at titles). Put together a third draft or so of the rules in a short playtest packet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dkSHCjlC_3YWZKV2hLcHhjaTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Covok
May 27, 2013

I've been running into a problem over and over again and I'm wondering if anyone might know a good fix for it. I can make a framework for a game, but I flounder when I tried to fill it in with player options especially if they are things like lists of powers. My brain just hits a wall and I got no idea what to do. Anyone know a good fix for this?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

I've been running into a problem over and over again and I'm wondering if anyone might know a good fix for it. I can make a framework for a game, but I flounder when I tried to fill it in with player options especially if they are things like lists of powers. My brain just hits a wall and I got no idea what to do. Anyone know a good fix for this?

Create a template. Once you have one, fill in the pieces for every option.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Jon Joe posted:

Create a template. Once you have one, fill in the pieces for every option.

And if the issue is creative, you can always get some nerds to brainstorm with you.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I've recently hit a bit of a brick wall myself with a recent project. I know I should probably should just hammer through it, and get it done. But I suppose I wouldn't mind having some other sets of eyes on it to make sure that I'm not doing a dumb thing. It's a PbtA game which I've been using Simple World as a guide for the initial stages, as well as further assistance/ideas from the official Apocalypse World forums. I'm open to most forms of feedback, and would greatly appreciate it if anyone was willing/interested.

Core Rules Play Books

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Meinberg posted:

I've recently hit a bit of a brick wall myself with a recent project. I know I should probably should just hammer through it, and get it done. But I suppose I wouldn't mind having some other sets of eyes on it to make sure that I'm not doing a dumb thing. It's a PbtA game which I've been using Simple World as a guide for the initial stages, as well as further assistance/ideas from the official Apocalypse World forums. I'm open to most forms of feedback, and would greatly appreciate it if anyone was willing/interested.

Core Rules Play Books

I will definitely check these out and get back to you asap.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I promised in this thread that my project would be finished last xmas or something and that was sort of way too optimistic because it kept organically growing and growing. However, now I started to file off setting material into a folder named "Done" which feels so good.

Right now, what with mostly minor stuff and the bestiary unfinished, the word counts stand at 50k words of setting and 25k worth of rules. Pretty hefty.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So yeah, awhile back in the Dungeon World thread, I posted up a rough draft of a mage-like class I've been working on. Since then, I've been working on a whole mess of things that could charitably be called a hack, so I figured I might drop this preview on y'all.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Hi all. Great thread: I hope this is the right place to post this.

I've been assembling a campaign. I've got pantsloads of research, and a large amount written, but I'm having problems tying it together into something with a coherent and appealing elevator pitch. I'm probably overthinking things: now that I'm organizing my material, I feel like I need a reality check, to make sure that I'm doing something which could possibly interest somebody somewhere.

For now, here's how I would explain my project to the world as an elevator pitch, if they were trapped with me on an uncomfortably long elevator ride:

Slovenia, 1943. My unimaginative working title: SLOVENIJA 1943.

The PCs comprise Slovene Partisans and British SOE operatives. These are not traditional soldiers: they are ruthless guerillas and foreign spies. Despite their sometimes-conflicting goals, they will have to work together in order to battle the Axis, and stranger enemies besides.

The story begins with the PCs committing sabotage and sneak attacks. As the campaign progresses, a new threat looms: a mysterious "Green Corps", which fights all sides, which pledges to end all war forever. It appears to be led by a rogue Jagdkommando, a great hunter of men. But the real leader rises from the caves...

My personal goals with this project are to take WWII out of an "Axis & Allies" context, while also taking weird fiction somewhat out of an H. P. Lovecraft context. (Not that I have anything against those things.) Underfunded Partisan guerillas, a fierce all-gender force with Tommy guns and homemade grenades. British spies with good equipment, but who are always playing catch-up, and who could never blend in, not in a million years. Townspeople who have every reason not to trust anybody, especially troublemakers. Post-surrender Italian soldiers, stuck on the wrong side of the border. The Third Reich, as she begins to waver and crumble. Cosmic horror drawn from South Slavic mythology, with a telos a little different from "whatever it is which motivates ancient incomprehensible gibbering aliens".

So...that's that. I would be grateful for any feedback. Would anybody be interested in such a project? If so, what would you want most out of such a hypothetical book? Please let me know if you would like me to post a link to something more substantial.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
What's the going rate for an editor these days? I've nearly finished a DW thing I'm writing and I'm going to want to get someone to give it a once over - both for language and for rules not-sucking-ness - so I want to know how much of my budget to set aside for that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just tell them it'll be good expos- :commissar:

does that joke even work for an editor? probably not

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

potatocubed posted:

What's the going rate for an editor these days? I've nearly finished a DW thing I'm writing and I'm going to want to get someone to give it a once over - both for language and for rules not-sucking-ness - so I want to know how much of my budget to set aside for that.

See here!

For language I'm assuming you're meaning a combination of grammar, spelling, and sentence structure (a combination of proofreading and copy editing), while rules not-sucking-ness would fall under developmental editing (but only for the rules pages). If you PM me a link, I can take a quick glance at your product and give you a more accurate estimation of a fair price. If you want, I can then do the work for that price, as I used to work as an editor.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
GETTING THINGS DONE!

I am teaching myself InDesign and did layout stuff for my game. Check it out! See the thread for the other preview stuff.

potatocubed posted:

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. But before hiring professionals, if you'd like to do a trade, you could show me yours and I could show you mine. (Bear in mind that mine is probably bigger than yours). I'm not a professional, but I can rite gud and we'd both benefit.

Edit: Hey, beaten by a professional! Sweet! Well, the offer still stands.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Thanks for the offers, both of you. I'm not quite in a position to show off what I've got yet - there's another 5000-10000 words to go, which in theory I can finish off in a few days and in practice will take me well into October.

But when I'm done, I'll be back here to maybe take you up on it.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

This is more a scatter-brained stream of consciousness thing I'm posting, but here goes.

Back when I was writing The Abstract Thief I had several ideas bouncing around in my head. I put several of them down to paper and Google Docs, and 4 of them turned into full-fledged products of their own.

I have 2 of my larger projects, and one of them is one I'm feeling really passionate about. I find it easiest to write poo poo up for it, but it's not like the small mini-sourcebooks I've done in the past. If anything, it will probably take several months of writing just to produce a final draft.

Arcana High is a D&D-style campaign/game where the PCs are all students attending a magic school. It derives inspiration from Harry Potter and Persona 3/4, where the PCs spend time being exposed to cool wondrous things, resolving social conflicts with trusted friends and hated rivals, and covertly fighting bad guys who plot to do bad poo poo to the school/world/whatever. Everyone important is some kind of spellcaster, and it's not unusual for the more "monstrous" races to be fellow students and dorm-mates as their Tolkien-ish humanoid counterparts. Also, the school's foundations are ancient and built above a series of underground complexes which hold buried secrets better left forgotten.

This thing first began as a Pathfinder sourcebook, and I already wrote up plenty of material for that. However, there are times where I feel it would serve best as a retroclone of its own. For example, a ruleset for social combat and calling upon personal themes and friendships (which would be important to the campaign) isn't really well-supported in Pathfinder as-is without making it up myself. Not to mention that I want additional freedom if a player wants to be a student who's composed of elemental ice or something suitably exotic. After seeing the elegance of Spears of the Dawn and how the author cut off the sacred cow chaffs to make an awesome game, I can't help but feel that this might be a superior option than shoehorning things into Pathfinder.

I know that Pathfinder around here isn't a popular system, but I worry that if I try slashing myself too much due to system I'm just going to prolong things. I've heard good things about FATE and Dungeon World and considered exploring those as potential options, but I have no practical experience with either game and am much more at home with D20-esque systems.

Advice?

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 19, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Libertad! posted:

I know that Pathfinder around here isn't a popular system, but I worry that if I try slashing myself too much due to system I'm just going to prolong things. I've heard good things about FATE and Dungeon World and considered exploring those as potential options, but I have no practical experience with either game and am much more at home with D20-esque systems.

Advice?

On a pragmatic level, I'd encourage you to figure out how to differentiate your game from Ettin's Breakfast Cult.

Monsterhearts has shown that *World can work for supernatural high school stuff. I'm also a fan of Smallville's Values-as-Stats, but I've never seen the game in play so I don't know how well the rest of the system works.

I guess I would encourage you to think about what kinds of activities are going to be most important and see if there are any systems that mechanically reinforce that. If you want to emphasize teaming up to defeat Lord not!Voldemort, that's very different from teaming up to defeat not!Ravenclaw at the school sportball.

Burning Wheel style games (including Mouse Guard and Torchbearer) tend to have systems for social "combat" that are just as complicated as the systems for actual combat; Fate assumes that the same simple mechanics will work for both kinds of conflicts, and D&D 3.5 and 4 (the editions I'm familiar with) have complicated combat systems and a throwaway "oh, use Bluff or Diplomacy or whatever" for social conflicts. (Of course, a skilled GM can run any game in any system, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.)

The One Ring has an interesting model where you alternate Adventuring and Fellowship phases; in the Adventuring phase, the GM drives the story as the PCs explore the wilds, while in the Fellowship phase, the PCs build relationships, hone skills, and foster allies. Mouse Guard and Torchbearer have similar mechanics. You could have a Delving phase and a House Common Room phase, say.

(I've always wanted to do a sort of post-war Harry Potter game about rebuilding their society, with some sort of flashback mechanic to let your PC's experiences during the war provide bonuses to your efforts during reconstruction.)

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

inklesspen posted:

On a pragmatic level, I'd encourage you to figure out how to differentiate your game from Ettin's Breakfast Cult.

I'm currently running a Pathfinder Game where the PCs are students at a magic school in a D&D-esque world. But they were granted some relics which allow them to transform into masked, superhero-like identities. The relics were first wielded centuries ago by a team of freedom fighters known as the Secret Swords (because nobody could find out their identity). And they use it to go out and fight monsters in the school's dungeon and fantasy-style supervillains.

I considered adding in such a thing as a campaign option to the main sourcebook, but perhaps adding in the appeal of "wizard high school students who are secretly superheroes" can combine two otherwise-unrelated ideas into a unique and appealing whole.

As Persona 3 and 4 are some major inspirations, I was thinking of having it be half "social link/drama conflict resolution," half "use your fighting skills and spells to kick the rear end of evildoers." And the former social stuff can have an impact on the latter; like if your PC successfully resolved his desire to make his parents proud vs. rebelling and setting off on their own path, this can provide experience/bonus dice/re-rolls which can be applied to other stuff.

What do you folks think?

Edit: Oh, and if I'm going to do this as a *World hack, I'm going to need to actually play the game before I start building off its rules. If it comes to that I'll recruit or find people for a Roll20 game down the lane.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 19, 2014

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

inklesspen posted:

(I've always wanted to do a sort of post-war Harry Potter game about rebuilding their society, with some sort of flashback mechanic to let your PC's experiences during the war provide bonuses to your efforts during reconstruction.)

Please stop your life immediately and make this game.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Libertad! posted:

And the former social stuff can have an impact on the latter; like if your PC successfully resolved his desire to make his parents proud vs. rebelling and setting off on their own path, this can provide experience/bonus dice/re-rolls which can be applied to other stuff.

This particularly reminds me of how Robin Laws' Dramasystem is designed to have dramatic resolution (social links) and procedural resolution (everything else, such as combat, crafting, stealth, etc) play off each other. Basically you use your dramatic "currency" to persuade other PCs to support you in your procedural endeavours.

Sorry for banging on about other peoples' systems, but I feel like the more different kinds of mechanics you know about, the better you'll do at finding the mechanics to work best for your game.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

inklesspen posted:

This particularly reminds me of how Robin Laws' Dramasystem is designed to have dramatic resolution (social links) and procedural resolution (everything else, such as combat, crafting, stealth, etc) play off each other. Basically you use your dramatic "currency" to persuade other PCs to support you in your procedural endeavours.

Sorry for banging on about other peoples' systems, but I feel like the more different kinds of mechanics you know about, the better you'll do at finding the mechanics to work best for your game.

Fortunately I own copies of FATE, Dungeon World, and The One Ring. I haven't gotten around to reading the former two in-depth, but I think I'll check out DW because I got Monsterhearts recommended to me as Doing It Right.

How complicated are Burning Wheel's rules systems overall? I personally would like to go for a simple, intuitive rules system that can be grokked by new players immediately. I want this game to be easy to pick up and learn for people who haven't played a table-top game before. That might be a little weird considering I'll most likely be showing it off in trad games circles, but I want my RPG to be open to people who might consume fantasy novels and video game RPGs as well. I recently saw an article talking about how WotC does a poor job at reaching the fantasy and video game geeks who might be interested in their work. It might be a little too ambitious for a person new to self-publishing, but I'd like my RPG to be appealing to fans of things like Harry Potter, Persona, and other similar stuff who will look at the book and go "oh cool, I gotta check this out!"