Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Maybe I just have recency bias but I always took the fact that the same guy could be near-elite or better on both sides of the ball to be a diminishing factor in basically everyones' accomplishments from the early eras. Babe Ruth was generationally amazing relative to a bunch of farmboys who showed a knack for the game of baseball. Bonds was generationally amazing relative to a league full of supermen that had been conditioned since early childhood to develop their baseball skills to levels that could not have been imagined in Ruth's day. I know its reductive but I always assumed that if a modern-day Danny Valencia or Delmon Young or something went back to that era they'd also be amongst history's greatest players, let alone someone like Greinke.

The reason there's no one like the Babe left in the game has very little to do with the Babe and very lots to do with the game. I've never been able to draw a line straight from being an elite 1920s two-way player to being the best of all time, the line for me takes a much shorter path to get to "Baseball must have been a lot easier back then" considering the unlikelihood of any modern man having even the time to hone both skillsets up to the major league level.

TL;DR for me the fact that Ruth was a great pitcher diminishes his accomplishments somehow because I am dumb.

Dr. Tommy John fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Inside Outside posted:

Ruth also put up the coolest season in baseball history in 1919 when he batted .322/.456/.657 with 29 home runs over 543 plate appearances while pitching to a 2.97 ERA. He led the majors in OPB, SLG, OPS+, home runs, among other things, while pitching 133.1 innings.

Wait the coolest anecdote from this season was that he hit more home runs than any other TEAM.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ted Williams had a better career K/9 than Ruth.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tharizdun posted:

EDIT EDIT:
    Consecutive seasons, .400 on-base percentage or better

• 17 - Ted Williams, Boston Red Sox - 1939 through 1958
Ted Williams is the best player ever, right? Like we all agree he's better than Bonds, Ruth and Aaron?

Outside of the guys who were killed, was Williams the player most hosed by World War 2? I mean if you give him his six year average from 1940-42 and 46-48, the three years before and after his service (a slash line of 359/497/646 by the way), and he has way over 3000 hits and 600 dingers. Sure it's a big assumption, but the guy had just hit his prime and then got put on a shelf for three years. Or was the talent in MLB already too depleted because of the war in 41, 42 and 46 to really take those numbers with anything but a huge grain of salt?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

howe_sam posted:

Or was the talent in MLB already too depleted because of the war in 41, 42 and 46 to really take those numbers with anything but a huge grain of salt?

This is a consideration but so is the fact that Babe Ruth only played against white guys so you know, figure out where your personal boundaries lay and you'll find the answer

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hitler ruined baseball

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Harlock posted:

Here's some water cooler flame the fire talk.

Let the sideshow begin! This should be an interesting week.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

HAL9100 posted:

Maybe I just have recency bias but I always took the fact that the same guy could be near-elite or better on both sides of the ball to be a diminishing factor in basically everyones' accomplishments from the early eras. Babe Ruth was generationally amazing relative to a bunch of farmboys who showed a knack for the game of baseball. Bonds was generationally amazing relative to a league full of supermen that had been conditioned since early childhood to develop their baseball skills to levels that could not have been imagined in Ruth's day. I know its reductive but I always assumed that if a modern-day Danny Valencia or Delmon Young or something went back to that era they'd also be amongst history's greatest players, let alone someone like Greinke.

The reason there's no one like the Babe left in the game has very little to do with the Babe and very lots to do with the game. I've never been able to draw a line straight from being an elite 1920s two-way player to being the best of all time, the line for me takes a much shorter path to get to "Baseball must have been a lot easier back then" considering the unlikelihood of any modern man having even the time to hone both skillsets up to the major league level.

TL;DR for me the fact that Ruth was a great pitcher diminishes his accomplishments somehow because I am dumb.

It's going to be p sweet in like 100 years when people say Bonds wasn't very good bc he didn't have to play against cyborgs or genetically engineered super organisms

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Popete posted:

Hitler ruined baseball

The real crime against humanity.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Isaac Newton? Pfeh. Dude didn't even invent computers. Mark Zuckerberg, now there's a real thinker.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

The Born Approx. posted:

It's going to be p sweet in like 100 years when people say Bonds wasn't very good bc he didn't have to play against cyborgs or genetically engineered super organisms

Won't they kind of be right?

e: like I mean, when comparing him to the guys who are playing against cyborgs and genetically engineered super organisms. I am not trying to say that Ruth wasn't amazing, just that context is really the most important thing when comparing players.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

The Born Approx. posted:

Well there isn't currently a league full of major league quality cyborg players that was created because MLB won't let cyborgs play.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Groucho Marxist posted:

Well there isn't currently a league full of major league quality cyborg players that was created because MLB won't let cyborgs play.

That you know of...

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

Well the segregation thing is a separate issue which isn't what HAL9000 was talking about.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Groucho Marxist posted:

We still have six years!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Born Approx. posted:

That was before baseball spread into Africa, India and China....

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I would love to watch foreign leagues if they offered an MLB.TV type product, especially NPB.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Groucho Marxist posted:

That's because it's not the 24th century yet

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

seventeen posted:

That's because it's not the 24th century yet

Robots ain't cyborgs

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Born Approx. posted:

I can't wait to grumble about how Pulsing Mass Of Flesh That Fires Baseballs From Numerous Quivering Orifices is in the Hall but A-Rod isn't.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 6, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HAL9100 posted:

Won't they kind of be right?

e: like I mean, when comparing him to the guys who are playing against cyborgs and genetically engineered super organisms. I am not trying to say that Ruth wasn't amazing, just that context is really the most important thing when comparing players.

If Ruth had had the benefit of a lifetime superior competition, superior training, better technology, instruction, coaching, etc. that modern players do, he'd have been a whole lot better, as well. You can't play your alt-history game by leaving Ruth constant while everyone else gets better.

He was a product of his times, as was everyone else. Ruth today would undoubtedly give Bonds a run for his money.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tender Bender posted:

I can't wait to grumble about how Pulsing Mass Of Flesh That Fires Baseballs From Numerous Quivering Orifices is in the Hall but A-Rod isn't.

Bartolo Colon isn't even that good, dude.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Born Approx. posted:

I mean, is anyone saying Ruth is BAD? All I hear is 'yea it's kinda unfair to deem someone 'the best of all time' or whatever when there was an entire league designed to keep a certain race of people out of the league he played in.' Is there a place between 'maybe context changes the argument of who the best player ever' is' and 'Babe Ruth? What a fuckin scrub'?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Ruth today would undoubtedly give Bonds a run for his money.

This is a statement that you should know you cannot make.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HAL9100 posted:

Well, Bonds' knees are all hosed up. But then, Ruth has been dead for 65 years, so Bonds would probably still beat him.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If you want to make the argument that Ruth could have been as good as Bonds with years of training, you also have to entertain the idea that Ruth's lack of self control would prevent him from reaching his potential.

Also, Ted Williams and Babe Ruth would probably never make it to professional baseball in contemporary times because of the circumstances they grew up in.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 6, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think his lack of self control is part of what makes him the best ever.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
In other news; Justin Upton struck out looking in the 9th with RISP. He was 0-4 with 4k. It was also the 3rd time in the last two weeks Upton struck out looking in the 9th with RISP.

After the Braves lost their 7th game in a row i just wanted to remind everyone how terrible the Braves are at hitting anything but dingers. When this guy hits free agency after next season please pray your team doesn't sign him. Even his brother is more clutch. It's true, i have seen BJ have a few monster post seasons with the Rays.

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down
Babe Ruth isn't even a top 5 Yankee of all time! Why are you guys talking about him like he's one of the greatest players of all time?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FairGame posted:

Bartolo Colon isn't even that good, dude.

:golfclap:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

tadashi posted:

Also, Ted Williams and Babe Ruth would probably never make it to professional baseball in contemporary times because of the circumstances they grew up in.

Ted Williams would never make it because he had tiny baby arms.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Justin Upton is still a good Baseballer, regardless of his bottom of the 9th RISP situations, just maybe not as good/great as his ceiling once was back in the day. I'd take him over BJ Upton a million billion times over.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
Babe Ruth sure was ugly though.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

HAL9100 posted:

It's far less ridiculous than claiming that Danny fuckin Valencia would be seen as one of the greatest of all time had he played in the 20s

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Nate Silver wrote a really good article in Baseball Between the Numbers about Ruth and Bonds switching eras and had Bonds with 900-some home runs while Ruth hit only 550 or something.

howe_sam posted:

Outside of the guys who were killed, was Williams the player most hosed by World War 2? I mean if you give him his six year average from 1940-42 and 46-48, the three years before and after his service (a slash line of 359/497/646 by the way), and he has way over 3000 hits and 600 dingers. Sure it's a big assumption, but the guy had just hit his prime and then got put on a shelf for three years. Or was the talent in MLB already too depleted because of the war in 41, 42 and 46 to really take those numbers with anything but a huge grain of salt?

Yeah, that was a big discussion in SABR a few years back. Give Williams the war years back (including Korea), he has 5 years in his prime, and that means roughly 175-200 home runs. That puts him right in Ruth's wheel house. On top of that, Williams still had better slash stats than Bonds over his career in about 2000 fewer plate appearances, which he would've gotten back from the war years.

I sometimes hem and haw about Barry vs. Williams, given that Williams wasn't intentionally walked as much and Barry played much of his career in the greatest offensive period in history. Barry was definitely the best hitter I ever saw though and I'm sad I never fully appreciated him when he was here.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

The Born Approx. posted:

It's far less ridiculous than claiming that Danny fuckin Valencia would be seen as one of the greatest of all time had he played in the 20s

Danny Valencia is just my analogue for a fringe-average quad-A type with some modicum of power.

These guys, day-in-day-out, see a quality of fastballs and breaking balls that literally just didn't exist in Ruth's time. Add in reliever specialization and normalize strikeout rates and whatnot and I really have to believe that, while the "Ruth + modern training > Historical Ruth" argument is 100% valid, that sticking any player who can hit well enough to not be literally unemployed in 2014 would trample that era like Wladimir Balentien. They'd strike out at rates like three times the league average or something but 'mistake crushers' are a dime a dozen today and we have plenty of empirical evidence that shows that a mistake at 80 something is a hell of a lot easier for a big leaguer to punish than a mistake at 95+.

Ruth was really incomprehensibly good, I just think that actual time-travelling Ruth transplanted into today would probably be like.. Adam Dunn or something.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
I see the problem now. You mistakenly believe that pitchers in Ruth's era were throwing on average much slower than they really were.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

chilihead posted:

In other news; Justin Upton struck out looking in the 9th with RISP. He was 0-4 with 4k. It was also the 3rd time in the last two weeks Upton struck out looking in the 9th with RISP.

After the Braves lost their 7th game in a row i just wanted to remind everyone how terrible the Braves are at hitting anything but dingers. When this guy hits free agency after next season please pray your team doesn't sign him. Even his brother is more clutch. It's true, i have seen BJ have a few monster post seasons with the Rays.

Ken Kendrick, is that you?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

The Born Approx. posted:

I see the problem now. You mistakenly believe that pitchers in Ruth's era were throwing on average much slower than they really were.

Really? Because the best pitcher of that era, Walter Johnson, was known for his blazing sidearmed fastball that was clocked at 91.36 MPH in a lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
If it's on Wikipedia then I'm convinced.

• Locked thread