Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reminds me a lot of the Soft Owls. All life is pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I feel like this is great SCP fodder. Too lazy to do it myself though.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I feel like this is great SCP fodder. Too lazy to do it myself though.

I've been reading too much Gunnerkrigg Court. I immediately recognized that as bismuth.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Parahexavoctal posted:

I've been reading too much Gunnerkrigg Court. I immediately recognized that as bismuth.

Any Gunnerkrigg Court is too much.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

paranoid randroid posted:

I clicked on this one at random and was pleasantly surprised. Cthulhu just wants you people to leave him alone.

I feel like that keter re-designation makes it actively worse. It's only interesting because it's honestly not a threat and just wants to be left alone. Something that is actually (maybe) going to destroy everything is...just another SCP.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Boxman posted:

I feel like that keter re-designation makes it actively worse. It's only interesting because it's honestly not a threat and just wants to be left alone. Something that is actually (maybe) going to destroy everything is...just another SCP.

Except if I remember correctly, the object classes have nothing to do with how dangerous an SCP object is. Just how easily/well they can be contained. Safe is basically "Ya, you can just stick that thing in a locker/on my desk/in the cafeteria, 'cuz it ain't going anywhere." Euclid objects can be contained with rigorous protocols and considerable effort. Keter objects are borderline/completely uncontainable and the most the Foundation can hope to do is keep its existence a secret from the general public.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Euclids don't neccesarily require complicated containment measures and effort, they just require more than "don't let anyone touch it or push the button". A device where all you have to do to avoid a negative effect is have some guy press the red button within 24 hours of the last press is Euclid. Keter ones can be fully containable, but still qualify as keter if they'd be realllly dangerous if anyone fucks up that containment.

For example your Euclid object might gently caress up a few buildings if the dude on duty screws up the containment protocol. Your Keter object might destroy several cities if not a continent.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

This is one of the first SCP articles I've ever read, but it's one of the most interesting I've found so far.

It's about an evolved species of human living in isolation and developing its own social structure.

FireWorksWell has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Dec 1, 2014

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

This is one of the first SCP articles I've ever read, but it's one of the most interesting I've found so far.

It's about an evolved species of human living in isolation and developing its own social structure.

That's one of the better SCP's I've read. A really good exploration of the difference between normal human morality and something logically derived. It kind of shits the bed at the end trying to be edgy, but not enough to trash the whole article.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Euclids don't neccesarily require complicated containment measures and effort, they just require more than "don't let anyone touch it or push the button". A device where all you have to do to avoid a negative effect is have some guy press the red button within 24 hours of the last press is Euclid. Keter ones can be fully containable, but still qualify as keter if they'd be realllly dangerous if anyone fucks up that containment.

For example your Euclid object might gently caress up a few buildings if the dude on duty screws up the containment protocol. Your Keter object might destroy several cities if not a continent.

Realistically there'd be two different classifications: danger and containment.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Realistically there'd be two different classifications: danger and containment.

Yeah, we've discussed that a lot (and it's the basis of this -J, "Class-Action Lawfruit"). Basically, a real organization would have a classification system more finely-grained than Safe/Euclid/Keter, but we're just a scattered bunch of loons writing bureaucratic creepypasta as a hobby. If you want to introduce something new to the system that the community uses, fine -- if people like it, they'll use it; if not, they won't. If you want to change something that the community uses, you'll have to convince everyone else that what was previously used is flawed. And a simpler system is more narratively acceptable.

Here, this one is Keter because Nibbles might have seen the sun at some point, and because total containment would require controlling what a hamster thinks and remembers.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Bug Squash posted:

That's one of the better SCP's I've read. A really good exploration of the difference between normal human morality and something logically derived. It kind of shits the bed at the end trying to be edgy, but not enough to trash the whole article.

It's like a mixture of humans and ants. To be honest, I was kind of pissed at the way they used redaction regarding the nurseries. It would have made everything in the article have much more of an impact.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

Why the poo poo would an evolved species live in O'Hare airport. :confused:

:haw:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Boxman posted:

Just because the poor guy isn't ready to settle down with a cult yet doesn't mean he won't be at some point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LostCosmonaut posted:

Why the poo poo would an evolved species live in O'Hare airport. :confused:

:haw:

Have you been to Bubbles Wine Bar? They have a piano in the airport!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

paranoid randroid posted:

Just because the poor guy isn't ready to settle down with a cult yet doesn't mean he won't be at some point.

Aside from that he seems to inadvertently inspire random people to seek out and break into SCP containment facilities at all costs. Who knows what other awful poo poo they'll learn on the way or let out while they're there. By merely existing he causes bad poo poo to happen. That's pretty dangerous. Maybe not quite world-endingly dangerous but who knows what other crazy poo poo weird Cthulhu cults are going to get up to if their tactics improve every time they break in.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Aren't Keter objects also immediately destroyed if possible? Meaning any Keter objects remaining would have to be indestructible or the consequences of destroying them unknown or dangerous.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RatHat posted:

Aren't Keter objects also immediately destroyed if possible? Meaning any Keter objects remaining would have to be indestructible or the consequences of destroying them unknown or dangerous.

No. Many are kept in order to study them for a while in case you end up with another similar object. After all, if you can figure where a bunch of similar incredibly dangerous objects are coming from, you might be able to stop them at the source.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RatHat posted:

Aren't Keter objects also immediately destroyed if possible?
Nah, that's GOC poo poo right there.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

RatHat posted:

Destroying a Keter's vessel or physical form might just make it worse. http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-296

e: maybe you're thinking of 682's article saying it must be destroyed ASAP. 1) it was written very early on before the Mary Sue purge and 2) there is no canon.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Nah, that's GOC poo poo right there.

See The Remains of a Chair.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DeusExMachinima posted:

Destroying a Keter's vessel or physical form might just make it worse. http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-296

e: maybe you're thinking of 682's article saying it must be destroyed ASAP. 1) it was written very early on before the Mary Sue purge and 2) there is no canon.

Well 682 definitely is something that needs to be destroyed ASAP. There really has been enough research done on it and it just keeps causing problems.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I like this a lot because I'm a sucker for Dionaea/house of leaves.

I’m sitting on a chair made of thousands of tiny dragon statues, writing on a table made of super-dense paper, and I am fine.

It's from here.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

Like was said there was no canon but I remember reading somewhere that it was pointed out that the organization is called Secure Contain Protect and not Destroy Destroy Destroy. When writing SCPs they suggested getting away from "THIS IS AN UNFATHOMABLY DANGEROUS OBJECT DESTROY AT ALL COST OH gently caress WHY DOES THIS INDESTRUCTIBLE THING EXIST" because they were going more for creepy than world-shattering. The Thing That will End the World and We Can't Stop It is also cliched as gently caress and once again to be avoided. Something doesn't need to be able to erase the planet to be terrifying. The challenge for writing good horror is to avoid making something overtly dangerous.

Keter objects are often also things that are obscenely dangerous or have potentially catastrophic effects but are easy to contain. Aside from the fact that some of them are one-of-a-kind things that are potentially useful and study is desired some of them are really only Keter because they can't be destroyed for some reason or another. Of course part of the thing that makes the SCP Foundation creepy writing in and of itself is because the organization is portrayed as a group that will write off certain amounts of death and destruction by a potentially useful object as "acceptable losses." Aside from that you have other things like the discs that reacted to mirrors and turned them into portals. If you read the logs it's probably really, really important to study those.

edit: A good example of a Keter object that's actually terrifying when you think about it just because of the potential.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-738

It's a desk and a couple of chairs. Sit in a chair and...something...will make you offers. It's relatively easy to contain in that it's some furniture.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Dec 2, 2014

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-738

It's a desk and a couple of chairs. Sit in a chair and...something...will make you offers. It's relatively easy to contain in that it's some furniture.

the Termination Test Log for SCP-682 posted:

Item: SCP-738

Tissue Test Record:
N/A

Termination Test Record:

Researcher sits in SCP-738-2, and asks "What would you want in exchange for permanently destroying the entity which we refer to as SCP-682 while leaving this planet, its biosphere, its human population, its human civilization, the SCP Foundation, and the rest of the universe intact?"

Entity takes form of the same entity as Test 203, states "Your Foundation couldn't afford it, and you personally definitely couldn't afford it," and does not respond further.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I bet they regret blowing up the barf-larch:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-887-log

If something can be contained, keep it contained.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a good example and then it bludgeons you across the face with the note at the end.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well 682 definitely is something that needs to be destroyed ASAP. There really has been enough research done on it and it just keeps causing problems.

682 should just end up being the one thing that 1370 is actually capable of destroying.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was browsing the site and ran into SCP-573 which is innocent enough. It's just the Pied Piper's flute. Then I clicked the diary link at the bottom and... :stonk:

Don't they get rid of this crap or something?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Carbon dioxide posted:

I was browsing the site and ran into SCP-573 which is innocent enough. It's just the Pied Piper's flute. Then I clicked the diary link at the bottom and... :stonk:

Don't they get rid of this crap or something?

But dancing in the entrails of children that were raped and killed is so fuckin' edgy, man. :v:

They really should have a firm policy about this sort of poo poo. "No child rape. Why don't you write a story about a spooky flower pot instead"

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

But dancing in the entrails of children that were raped and killed is so fuckin' edgy, man. :v:

They really should have a firm policy about this sort of poo poo. "No child rape. Why don't you write a story about a spooky flower pot instead"

Well the guy who wrote that is one of the senior admins of the site, so I imagine if he wants child rape, he gets child rape.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

It seems really hamfisted. Yeah somehow we know it only affects men using it on a group of underage kids. You'd think they'd go to whole hog like testing it with women users only on animals and go from here. And ooooh it's made of HUMAN bone which is totally easy to get a hold of instead of generic animal bone. I find it kind of odd that the author missed out on more grimdarkness by not showing that Darald king raped a bunch of kiddies. Just as precedent.

That scp is rather disappointing if its based on the pied piper. There's a fair amount of potential in that tale considering the Piper tale abruptly showed up in 1284 to randomly lure children out of their homes. From the wiki: "One hundred and thirty children followed him out of town, where they were lured into a cave and never seen again." You could've had them find a cave where only (d class?) children could enter through a gate into a freaky alt universe/hosed up world where there's only children. A la Peter Pan, I suppose. And somehow these perpetually juvenile children live in harmony with no wars and such unlike the world the foundation is in.

Or you could have the flute spawn giants rats which specifially devour adults who have children unless they present gold to the flute user. If you want to get grim dark grossness.

Or have the flute cause children to abruptly become village of the damned-esque super mature children and decide on their own to leave a town and vanish via a complex machine they built in the woods. Because the flute only affects children within a REDACTED distance in areas that have specific population like in small towns in the middle of no where.

Or have the flute be a tool that Red Death uses to cause plague and the foundation needs to contain it from the Red Death least He causes out deals of plagues. If you want to be callous you can allude to the recent Ebola outbreaks.

I wrote too many words and all these ideas are probably dumb. But my point is you don't have to immediately go the Child Rape Route. It just shows you have very little imagination.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

He's written an awful lot of vaguely rapey SCPs/articles, it seems to be his go-to when he wants to make a story scarier.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Wow, I'm shocked. It wasn't a Kain Pathos Crow article. Uh, kudos to you for finding one that actually made me cringe at it, I guess?

To contribute, something a lot lighter and a pretty loving good entry: The Reluctant Dimension Hopper. Just a normal guy, like you or me, with the slight affliction of randomly and involuntarily being transported into the same place you were, but in a different reality.

Imagine: you are doing your daily life, and once every so often, out of loving no where, without any control of what or where you end up, you get teleported to an alternate dimension. Even at the most inconsiderate of times, like mid-shower, driving, arguing about which of these articles is less of a terrible sto--*blip*

Naturally, this is a bit of a pain to keep track of, but the guy is happy enough that he's not dead and is pretty darn cooperative. He may request some stuff here and there after a particularly interesting hop that had problems he as a regular human like you or I without super powers or Mary Sue effects could handle.

The best example of this is Shift 000-000-000, where he dimension hopped into Nowhere, quite literally, and asked for a nightlight, and a wristwatch which makes an audible “tick” as the second hand moves. So that there is at least some proof that he is, in fact, not dead or in sensory deprivation, and that even if he is in no dimension at all he is still actually there. Just waiting to shift back into reality.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Faust IX posted:

Naturally, this is a bit of a pain to keep track of, but the guy is happy enough that he's not dead and is pretty darn cooperative. He may request some stuff here and there after a particularly interesting hop that had problems he as a regular human like you or I without super powers or Mary Sue effects could handle.

The best part of that was "Request: A hug. Approved." It's easily the most :3: thing I've seen on that whole site.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Dec 3, 2014

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Faust IX posted:

Wow, I'm shocked. It wasn't a Kain Pathos Crow article. Uh, kudos to you for finding one that actually made me cringe at it, I guess?

To contribute, something a lot lighter and a pretty loving good entry: The Reluctant Dimension Hopper. Just a normal guy, like you or me, with the slight affliction of randomly and involuntarily being transported into the same place you were, but in a different reality.

Imagine: you are doing your daily life, and once every so often, out of loving no where, without any control of what or where you end up, you get teleported to an alternate dimension. Even at the most inconsiderate of times, like mid-shower, driving, arguing about which of these articles is less of a terrible sto--*blip*

The best example of this is Shift 000-000-000, where he dimension hopped into Nowhere, quite literally, and asked for a nightlight, and a wristwatch which makes an audible “tick” as the second hand moves. So that there is at least some proof that he is, in fact, not dead or in sensory deprivation, and that even if he is in no dimension at all he is still actually there. Just waiting to shift back into reality.

I really enjoyed how he kept shifting to the dimension with the Smiling Man. The concept behind the SCP can lead to a lot of interesting content.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Red Bones posted:

He's written an awful lot of vaguely rapey SCPs/articles, it seems to be his go-to when he wants to make a story scarier.

The higher-ups are pretty bad about it in general. Dr Bright wrote 231 and 1590 (the infinite uncle molestation dimension). IIRC Bright did some hi-larious madposting in old gibbis defending himself/the site.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

So he did.

DoctorBright posted:

I admit, I'm a pretty horrible writer.

Look, sanity in the discuss page!

quote:

I wanted to like this but, I don't know… it lacks a really good hook. I am also not fond of the flute magically making the user know how to play it. I think it would have been a lot more interesting for it to just work even if you're terrible at playing it, or maybe have it work but with different effects depending on the user's skills. On top of that, the diary feels like a desperate attempt to be edgy and is what made me settle on downvoting it.

I do appreciate the fact that the agents avoided killing the children though, as so many other people would have used this setup as an excuse to have them massacre the kids and make the SCP Foundation evil for evil's sake, which they're not supposed to be.

That would be cool. if you suck at playing it then it only affects worms and such. Professional flutists could probably sway humans but not in a consistent manner, and it follows the Piper myth well enough that you'd have to be preternaturally good at a flute in order to control 130 humans, albeit young children.

This dude is just skeevy:

quote:

I just realized how much creepier this one is when you realize that the crazy researcher was female (I think Julia's a female name). It implies more strongly that the SCP is the craziness's root. I mean, I could easily imagine a male going crazy when he realizes that he basically has infinite power over a bunch of children. But females don't go crazy over sex obsession so easily.

They wrote an ok scp abut murdercoins though: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-588

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

"tasteful implication of paedophilia"

Someone honestly thought that was a good thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Remember "The Adults?"

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1788

Basic jist is, 4-armed morbidly obese pedophile (or, pedophile-esque but explicitly said to not actually engage in sexual acts with minors, and find the idea as repulsive as a normal person would) space marines are actually the next step in human evolution.