Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

It lists NHL and AHL salaries for a lot of them. I was shocked to find out Conor Sheary was only making 70k in the AHL...and he's on Crosby's wing now. :stare:

Two-way contracts are a requirement of ELCs. Players make an NHL salary and a much lower minor league salary (generally about 10% of their NHL one). Every player in the NHL that spent time in the minors was paid that little at one point.

A player getting called up to the NHL for two weeks can make a half season's pay in the AHL. The Canucks have actually seemingly initiated a policy of calling guys up from the minors for a bit to train with the big club and collect a serious payday even though they don't expect to play them. It's generous, but also very weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
18 year old (as of last week) patrik laine won the finnish playoff mvp trophy

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Ugh, Saint John is just getting outplayed these last couple games. Definite skill differential. Oh well.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Mitch Marner has another 3 points (so far) tonight, and now has 34 points in 13 playoff games. London up 4-1 late.

e: yep, there's another one. 4 tonight and 35 in 11.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 27, 2016

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Seattle Thunderbirds are up 3-0 in their whl western conference final series . They're 23-1-1 in their last 25 games with just 1 playoff loss in 3 rounds.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

toledo upset in game 7 by reading which is dumb and bad :(

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Tank44 posted:

Seattle Thunderbirds are up 3-0 in their whl western conference final series . They're 23-1-1 in their last 25 games with just 1 playoff loss in 3 rounds.

Shows what I know! Man, Seattle got hot at the right time. I thought their first and second round opponents were a little softer but they're definitely looking like the real deal

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Niagara and London both finish off their series in four, and will meet in the OHL finals.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

St. Dogbert posted:

Niagara and London both finish off their series in four, and will meet in the OHL finals.

The worst possible result. :(

gently caress London, go Team Ho Sang.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
terrible gif but hoooooooly sheeeiiiiiiiiit

https://twitter.com/TheWHL/status/725544035079712768

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Current game SOG status: redonk

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Holy poo poo it's a sweep in 2OT :hawksin:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

St. Dogbert posted:

London outscored Erie 23-7. I was not expecting that.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Hand Knit posted:

London outscored Erie 23-7. I was not expecting that.

If you had told me London was gonna struggle against Owen Sound and then collectively clown Kitchener and Erie I would have laughed you out of here.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bjay9 posted:

If you had told me London was gonna struggle against Owen Sound and then collectively clown Kitchener and Erie I would have laughed you out of here.

Niagara has only lost 1 playoff game so far and they came in as the 4th place team and were expected to struggle to live up to expectations after a very mediocre regular season.

On one hand I want to see the team that clowned my 2 favorite OHL teams lose, but on the other hand I like seeing Dale Hunter miserable and crying about ref bias and cheating to the media when his team gets outplayed and inevitably loses.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Albany-Toronto in Round 2. Hope the Baby Devs can make it interesting.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
hersery-portland just entered its 3rd ot

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

fits posted:

hersery-portland just entered its 3rd ot

Portland won, gently caress the Bears.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Poonerman posted:

Albany-Toronto in Round 2. Hope the Baby Devs can make it interesting.

Last night, it felt like Bridgeport spent the first two thirds of the game on the powerplay and were up 4-1.

Then Connor Carrick rattled off a five point game and Toronto won 6-4. This team is so god drat good.

e: The hat trick goal, starring a pretty crazy pass by Willie Nylander: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ZvmBraO4E

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 29, 2016

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Just a quick reminder that the only "not from Ontario" player who was granted Exceptional Player status is, in fact, playing in the QMJHL playoffs. Joe Veleno.

I don't know how good he is, but his numbers suggest... uhh... maybe... uhh... leave the exceptional player stuff to... uhh... Ontario.

(Sean Day is also an "exceptional player", and stacking him up against Aaron Ekblad is kinda one-sided)

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Schlesische posted:

Just a quick reminder that the only "not from Ontario" player who was granted Exceptional Player status is, in fact, playing in the QMJHL playoffs. Joe Veleno.

I don't know how good he is, but his numbers suggest... uhh... maybe... uhh... leave the exceptional player stuff to... uhh... Ontario.

(Sean Day is also an "exceptional player", and stacking him up against Aaron Ekblad is kinda one-sided)

I've watched him a few games now and he's good but I wouldn't call him exceptional. There are few other guys on the team I would put before him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Exceptional status doesn't really mean all that much anymore. Sean Day was granted exceptional status in exchange for him declaring for Canada over the USA and Joey Veleno was given it so he wouldn't go the college route (he was headed for Shattuck St. Mary's). Hockey Canada just uses as a recruitment tool for high profile prospects that are wavering. Replace the world "exceptional" with "financial considerations" status and you have a better idea of what it's about.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Hand Knit posted:

Last night, it felt like Bridgeport spent the first two thirds of the game on the powerplay and were up 4-1.

Then Connor Carrick rattled off a five point game and Toronto won 6-4. This team is so god drat good.

Albany's pretty deep and they'll have the best defenseman in the series (Severson). They should give them a good battle. I'd be satisfied if they managed to take it back to Toronto.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

One thing that's interesting about the Marlies is how shaken up their roster has been all season, iirc 58 players suited up for the team this year, and almost half the usual roster was playing with the Leafs from the trade deadline on.

It's a pretty stacked team but they're really not used to playing together and sometimes it shows. It'll be interesting to see what happens if they run into a team much more structured and disciplined than your average AHL squad.

Also goaltending isn't exactly a weakness but there are much stronger goalies in the league than Bibeau/Sparks.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Exceptional status doesn't really mean all that much anymore. Sean Day was granted exceptional status in exchange for him declaring for Canada over the USA and Joey Veleno was given it so he wouldn't go the college route (he was headed for Shattuck St. Mary's). Hockey Canada just uses as a recruitment tool for high profile prospects that are wavering. Replace the world "exceptional" with "financial considerations" status and you have a better idea of what it's about.

Shattuck Saint-Marys vs Saint John, which is worse?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

One thing that's interesting about the Marlies is how shaken up their roster has been all season, iirc 58 players suited up for the team this year, and almost half the usual roster was playing with the Leafs from the trade deadline on.

It's a pretty stacked team but they're really not used to playing together and sometimes it shows. It'll be interesting to see what happens if they run into a team much more structured and disciplined than your average AHL squad.

Speaking of which, apparently the Marlies are gonna and Andreas Johnson.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Speaking of which, apparently the Marlies are gonna and Andreas Johnson.

It's an interesting get, for sure. On one hand, you gotta work a guy like that into the roster, if he's as good as we're lead to believe. On the other hand, it's the middle of a playoff run and he's never played a game on NA ice.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Brandon-Seattle is going to be a war

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, looks like the Texas Stars are going to be done for the year.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

It's an interesting get, for sure. On one hand, you gotta work a guy like that into the roster, if he's as good as we're lead to believe. On the other hand, it's the middle of a playoff run and he's never played a game on NA ice.
I wonder how much of getting him over is expecting him to actually contribute and how much is just to let him hang out and get a head start on getting to know the staff and team for next year since he's got some time off.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Poonerman posted:

People are complaining about the 2-3-2 format but these two teams are about as far apart as you can be. it's about a 22 hr/1,300 mile/2,100 km drive. Might be a rare time the teams fly.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

People are complaining about the 2-3-2 format but these two teams are about as far apart as you can be. it's about a 22 hr/1,300 mile/2,100 km drive. Might be a rare time the teams fly.

Ahh didn't know this series was swapped up. Definitely going to hit a couple of games even if it is in the middle of the week.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Poonerman posted:

Go Brandon, go Provorov.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
go seattle, go bear

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Go Seattle, Go Landon "Baby Lu" Bow.

Go Entire Team

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So Brandon games are all kinds of inaccessible to me right now but Nolan Patrick seems to be having a hell of a playoffs.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Baby Ducks v Baby Kings in 2nd round of AHL west

Baby Ducks appear to have signed all of their recent high draft picks playing in Sweden too so they seem kinda stacked.

Quietly optimistic..

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Tank44 posted:

The WHL does do flights for the finals, due to the fact that the match-ups are usually at least an 8 hour drive. They usually have the two teams share a flight, with officials and media seated in between.

And yeah Seattle-Brandon is close to the worst possible travel combo. Portland would be the ultimate, but we decided to be nice and let some other teams have a turn for awhile :grin:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
canadas world championship forwards

Hall-Brassard-Reinhart
Domi-McDavid-Duchene
Jenner-O'Reilly-Gallagher
C. Hamilton-Scheifle-Stone

Marchand there but didn't skate. Perrys supposed to be there too but maybe hasn't arrived yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

:finland: Finland announced its IIHF roster too. :finland:

Goalies

Niklas Bäckström (Calgary Flames)
Mikko Koskinen (SKA Saint Petersburg)
Juuse Saros (Nashville Predators/Milwaukee Admirals)

D-men

Juuso Hietanen (Dynamo Moscow)
Topi Jaakola (Jokerit)
Tommi Kivistö (Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg)
Lasse Kukkonen (Kärpät)
Esa Lindell (Dallas Stars/Texas Stars)
Atte Ohtamaa (Jokerit Helsinki)
Ville Pokka (Chicago Blackhawks/Rockford IceHogs)
Anssi Salmela (Brynäs IF)

Forwards

Sebastian Aho (Kärpät Oulu)
Aleksander Barkov (Florida Panthers)
Mikael Granlund (Minnesota Wild)
Jussi Jokinen (Florida Panthers)
Mikko Koivu (Minnesota Wild)
Leo Komarov (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Jarno Koskiranta (SKA Saint Petersburg)
Patrik Laine (Tappara Tampere)
Jani Lajunen (Tappara Tampere)
Antti Pihlström (CSKA Moscow)
Teemu Pulkkinen (Detroit Red Wings)
Mika Pyörälä (Kärpät Oulu)
Mikko Rantanen (Colorado Avalanche/San Antonio Rampage)
Tomi Sallinen (Djurgårdens IF)

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 1, 2016

• Locked thread