Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Apart from pet classes, the game is actually all but finished and very playable now, and most classes have several viable builds. I imagine that one more balance-pass to fix legendaries and buff certain useless skills is all that's needed at this point for GD to be considered a finished game. All the content is there as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Freakazoid_ posted:

Oh hey, the successor to titan quest still can't balance pet classes? Color me surprised.

I used to be interested in this game, but development has taken so long and Path of Exile already scratched my itch. This seems destined to be another steam sale bargain later in the year.

Path of Exile is a good game, and so is this game. If you ever get bored of PoE, feel free to give this game a try -- you probably won't be sorry. And pet builds aren't as trash as some people are saying. Certain encounters could use to some tweaking with pet builds, but other than that, it's pretty balanced.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31762

B31 preview. MI buffs is the biggest thing in there, great news that they're finally sorting that out.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've finished a Veteran playthrough with a Blackwater Cocktail build. Final boss was at ~5% by the time I'd nuked his adds down, whole thing lasted maybe 20 seconds or so.
Definitely feeling a tad squishy towards the end, though. The Chthonic Vanguard mobs (who I assume were added in the last build, because I don't remember them) were mildly terrifying in close quarters and my build doesn't really have crowd control, so it got a bit frenetic in the final dungeon.
I also feel like I got poo poo for loot throughout - I had a pair of yellow trousers on for about 30 levels because shops don't usually sell them and nothing dropped with either +Fire damage or +Move speed in all that time.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Finally got my 5th character to elite. My first 4 were a shield warder, a vitality/bleed conjurer, a poison witch hunter, and a chaos/shield witchblade. I had found a crescent moon on one run so finally decided to go and build a cold based spellbreaker. The 20s/30s were.. awful. Took forever, very slow going. Once I got into the 40s though it was smooth sailing and its the first character I've actually been doing anything with in elite. I've split my points fairly evenly; the nightblade provides massive single target dps and I use flash freeze/trozans for trash/control. The freeze effects don't really do much vs bosses however I've been able to face tank everything pretty easily and let the freeze keep trash off me. Having double immunity with mirror and blade barrier is awesome as well. My resist reduction effects are also crazy.. -40% cold from crescentmoon, another -30% or so from nights chill, flat resist reduction from elemental storm and sacred strike. and % reduction from viper. Even cold based bosses melt pretty fast from that.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Anyone play Hardcore? Got a level 42 ranged 2h pistol dude, wondering if anyone else is doing a hardcore playthrough.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
We tried hardcore but something gibbed us in the swamp area. We went from full health to 0 in one hit on normal difficulty, and all we heard was some kind of explosion sfx, no discernable visual effect. With no combat log, we had no idea what happened. We'll be staying away from it until/unless they add some kind of logging.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
In Diablo and PoE the focus is typically on doing as much damage as possible to as many enemies as possible. What is the status of AoE builds in Grim Dawn? It seems like most of the builds I've seen on twitch are single target. Are there any efficient AoE builds on the higher difficulties?

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

kingturnip posted:

I've finished a Veteran playthrough with a Blackwater Cocktail build. Final boss was at ~5% by the time I'd nuked his adds down, whole thing lasted maybe 20 seconds or so.
Definitely feeling a tad squishy towards the end, though. The Chthonic Vanguard mobs (who I assume were added in the last build, because I don't remember them) were mildly terrifying in close quarters and my build doesn't really have crowd control, so it got a bit frenetic in the final dungeon.
I also feel like I got poo poo for loot throughout - I had a pair of yellow trousers on for about 30 levels because shops don't usually sell them and nothing dropped with either +Fire damage or +Move speed in all that time.

What devotions did you take? I didn't start getting passive defenses until the end of Elite (practically in Ultimate) because the CC from Eldritch Fire, high-ranked Flashbang/Searing and Thermite Mines carried me through p much everything. Olextra's Flash Freeze was almost unnecessary CC-wise once I added it in, and I only remember to use it on bosses for the -res.

Really, don't underestimate Eldritch Fire; -50% movespeed stacks with the Flashbang slow, and because it's part of its own debuff, it can't be resisted or reduced, I think. Plus, it propagates from corpses if the effect's still up, so it's never really wasted. Killzones just get denser and denser. That scales well with BWC+Aetherfire, since with no proc limit, you end up adding about 1/3rd of the damage to each BWC, and get the benefit of generally lower Aether resists.

I already mentioned how Thermite Mines' fear effect is basically always an upside earlier in the thread. All I can really add is that the damage scales absurdly high for minimal point investment, and you can cancel BWC to/from Thermite (and Flashbang) so you won't lose DPS by incorporating it. I put Acid Spray on Thermite to make sure %res reduction hits when it's useful.

What did you take for your second mastery? I gotta say, Arcanist started looking like the only decent choice when I realized how much more damage 12 points in Thermite Mines would do compared to 12 in Demon Fire.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I wish shield spec soldiers weren't so drat good. Or, at least, that the other classes had somewhat comparable defensive options.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I wish shield spec soldiers weren't so drat good. Or, at least, that the other classes had somewhat comparable defensive options.

It's very possible to be super tanky without a shield, with multiple ways to be tanky. What kind of character are you envisioning you want to play?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Caffeine IV posted:

What devotions did you take?

I'm trying to stick to Eldritch and Chaos, although there's not a lot of +Fire Damage stuff generally. So far I've got Fiend, Bat, Scholar's Light, Magi and I'm working towards Ulzuin's Torch via Solael's Witchblade and whatever other trash I need for the last couple of Chaos points.

Caffeine IV posted:

I already mentioned how Thermite Mines' fear effect is basically always an upside earlier in the thread. All I can really add is that the damage scales absurdly high for minimal point investment, and you can cancel BWC to/from Thermite (and Flashbang) so you won't lose DPS by incorporating it. I put Acid Spray on Thermite to make sure %res reduction hits when it's useful.

Thermite Mines are awesome. Actually trying to position them to hit packs as they rush me is an enjoyable part of the strategy.

At the moment, I'm just messing around with Grenados to see how much utility I can get. The first modifier seems to give bonkers Fire Damage per point - even with only one point in the main skill - so that might be another thing to experiment with.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

It's very possible to be super tanky without a shield, with multiple ways to be tanky. What kind of character are you envisioning you want to play?

It's really more about the flat damage absorption on Overguard being kind of broken. I do wish avoidance type builds were more viable but mob OA at higher difficulties is dumb.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The whole OA formula is stupid as hell currently. They've all but killed crit-reliant builds, both hyperscaling blademasters and things like 2h Savagery Shamans who need regular crits to proc their AoE damage. The current system is a boring everyone-is-even solution where you need a real bad setup to not crit at least a little, but where it's impossible to get high crit rates like you used to be able to, and defensively, noone can stack enough DA to make a DA tank viable, which was a very cool way to build in TQ and early GD.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So uhhh maybe somebody can explain this.

At one point myself and my bf are fighting a boss and my partner's taking a ton of damage over time. After the boss is dead he notices he's still taking damage and dying horribly fast. He's safe in town until I head back and then suddenly mid-shopping spree he burns to death along with all his pets. I laugh as I figure out what's happening and don't tell him just to mess with him for a bit.

Turns out it was my Fire Aura I had on from a item. Strange thing was I had it on for a while and it wasn't harming him. Uhh am I not seeing some extra effect from that aura that's murdering party members?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Glad I gave this game a shot, I've been itching for a good Diablo-esque fix for the winter and my options are limited since my internet is absolute garbage (and I've played the poo poo out of D2 and its best mods already). Only played two guys to level 15ish so far but once I settle on a character this looks like it'll keep me busy for a while.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

The Mash posted:

The whole OA formula is stupid as hell currently. They've all but killed crit-reliant builds, both hyperscaling blademasters and things like 2h Savagery Shamans who need regular crits to proc their AoE damage. The current system is a boring everyone-is-even solution where you need a real bad setup to not crit at least a little, but where it's impossible to get high crit rates like you used to be able to, and defensively, noone can stack enough DA to make a DA tank viable, which was a very cool way to build in TQ and early GD.

I think they said they're going to rebalance "proc on crit" effects for the next build. And not being able to get insane crit rates is a very good thing, it means that OA isn't objectively the best stat in the game for every single build anymore.

Also wasn't possible to literally become invincible if you stacked enough DA in Titan Quest? Yeah let's not do that again.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's really more about the flat damage absorption on Overguard being kind of broken. I do wish avoidance type builds were more viable but mob OA at higher difficulties is dumb.

I view investing in Defense as more of a way to avoid those big crits from bosses than as a way to dodge attacks entirely.

Right now I'm setting at around 2000 attack and 2200 defense. This lets me get crits in with regularity against trash mobs (when using flashbang to lower their defense) and at the same time makes it hard for a boss to crit me. The magic number to get crits regularly and avoid crits entirely against bosses at level 85 seems to be 2400.

Look for skills out there that will lower a monster's defense (like flashbang). A skill that lowers a monster's defense by 200 points is essentially a skill that increases your attack by 200 points.

Edit:

To clarify, my hulk smash build posted in the OP doesn't utilize a shield and can tank an entire screen of monsters on Ultimate. I have died a few times in Steps of Torment though, when one of those giant Skeletal Monstrosities one-shots me with a lucky crit before I can get all of my damage mitigation and/or procs up. That's pretty rare, though, and I've only died 3 times.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 27, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

So uhhh maybe somebody can explain this.

At one point myself and my bf are fighting a boss and my partner's taking a ton of damage over time. After the boss is dead he notices he's still taking damage and dying horribly fast. He's safe in town until I head back and then suddenly mid-shopping spree he burns to death along with all his pets. I laugh as I figure out what's happening and don't tell him just to mess with him for a bit.

Turns out it was my Fire Aura I had on from a item. Strange thing was I had it on for a while and it wasn't harming him. Uhh am I not seeing some extra effect from that aura that's murdering party members?

PvP wasn't enabled, right?

Sounds like a bug. I would either troll people with it or report it. Up to you!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jabarto posted:

I think they said they're going to rebalance "proc on crit" effects for the next build. And not being able to get insane crit rates is a very good thing, it means that OA isn't objectively the best stat in the game for every single build anymore.

Also wasn't possible to literally become invincible if you stacked enough DA in Titan Quest? Yeah let's not do that again.

You could fairly easily get 100% Dodge in TA and nothing would be able to hit you outside of magic.

You could also reduce the defense of every monster to negative numbers, meaning every hit was a crit no matter what, even if you had zero +crit.

Titan Quest was a good game.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Rookersh posted:

You could fairly easily get 100% Dodge in TA and nothing would be able to hit you outside of magic.

You could also reduce the defense of every monster to negative numbers, meaning every hit was a crit no matter what, even if you had zero +crit.

Titan Quest was a good game.

I prefer balance over one-trick systems that you can exploit. But I can understand the appeal of such exploitable systems, so I don't want to knock them. Yes, TQ was a good game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

PvP wasn't enabled, right?

Sounds like a bug. I would either troll people with it or report it. Up to you!

It was not. As funny as it was I'll try to recreate it and send a report.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

It was not. As funny as it was I'll try to recreate it and send a report.

:patriot:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

CompeAnansi posted:

In Diablo and PoE the focus is typically on doing as much damage as possible to as many enemies as possible. What is the status of AoE builds in Grim Dawn? It seems like most of the builds I've seen on twitch are single target. Are there any efficient AoE builds on the higher difficulties?

Didn't see anyone respond, so I thought I'd take a jab at this.

Instead of investing in a default attack skill line, I spread out my points over 3 different cooldown skills that are big AoE hits. It's working out really well (level 85 on Ultimate). Note, I did test investing in default attack skill line, but I found my clear speed was increased by spreading my points out.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

kingturnip posted:

I'm trying to stick to Eldritch and Chaos, although there's not a lot of +Fire Damage stuff generally. So far I've got Fiend, Bat, Scholar's Light, Magi and I'm working towards Ulzuin's Torch via Solael's Witchblade and whatever other trash I need for the last couple of Chaos points.
Mm. I got really salty when I found out that Flame Torrent couldn't go on Thermite Mines for some inexplicable reason (and it isn't %weapon damage, because Gaze of the Guardian attaches just fine) and specced out of Fiend entirely. Have you considered speccing into one of the 5-value Ascendant constellations (like Owl/Empty Throne) and going for Chariot? The OA and Wayward Soul are pretty buff, and it gives Chaos/Eldritch.

Tbh, I don't really see the value in +Fire damage from Devotions. Everything damagewise is additive (except % Increased Damage to X), so tiny devotion bonuses get eclipsed by skills/gear/Spirit quickly. It's a shame, but stuff like Behemoth ends up being indispensable while damage constellations feel like they kill FPS better than mobs :(

kingturnip posted:

At the moment, I'm just messing around with Grenados to see how much utility I can get. The first modifier seems to give bonkers Fire Damage per point - even with only one point in the main skill - so that might be another thing to experiment with.

Grenadoes do look mad cool, though. If I did a total respec, I'd definitely try out a near-full elemental converted Grenado build with IEE/Reckless/Barrelfire set. The conversion comes after the modifier's physical damage bonus, too :getin:

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
You think your resists are good?

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 28, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Anyone down for playing on Ultimate with me (around level 85) right now? The drop rate for legendaries basically doubles with each new player, so it's really good to group. I'm on Discord right now.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My shaman has been having fun farming the Depraved Sanctuary, averaging like 5 bosses per run plus Salazar himself and all the chests at the end of the dungeon. I went from level 16ish to 23 tonight running it a bunch of times and getting some really nice items compared to elsewhere. At what point will this dungeon stop scaling itself to my level?

Also, I've been using Devouring Swarm, the HP/Mana regen toggle, briarthorn summon, and dropping wendigo totem for bosses and it is very strong aside from Salazar taking a couple minutes to die. Is Devouring Swarm strong enough to be used for much higher or does it start slowing down considerably? Right now I've got a helm and medal with +1 skill level on them and I've tried shopping for other items that have it but no luck so far, although I've gotten solid Vitality Damage modifiers on my weapon and offhand. Anything else I should keep an eye out for that'll boost Swarm considerably? It looks like the Hollowed Fang augment will be nice but I'm short on the spike component currently.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

ssmagus and I went through the steps of torment tonight and completely wrecked the place. Favorite part when I was stuck behind a grating while he solo'd a room himself. I did throw lots and flashbangs through the grating, and most importantly, provided emotional support!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Wow this game :staredog: ...has come a looong way...
I was playing the early days of the alpha in summer 2013, with an unfinished Act 1, revisited it for a weekend early 2014.
2 Years later this game is s whole new experience: Devotions? Components? Factions? Revisited Crafting? Augments? Constitution? Veteran Mode!? :bravo: Bravo crate, I really wished Titan Quest and Diablo2 LOD may have to move someday from my perosnal podest. This might happen, finally.

I am glad I could ignore the itch to play this until a build 30+ was done so I did not spoil anything for me (but most of Act I).

Multiplayer and slick brain-afk mainstream online farming with buddies, pushing Grifts and numbers? Diablo 3
Solo oldschool ARPG with challanges, individual skills and attributes and farming for unique loot and playing around with tons of classes and farming stuff and getting lost in killing monsters and exploring for hours - also possible with buddies: Grim Dawn.
Finally!

Now I just have to convince my D3 and D2 (Median CL Ultimative Mod) buddies to test/try out Grim Dawn.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I am stupid idiot babby who needs his hand held, does anyone have general tips in how to build your character? What is the upside of veteran mode? Maybe it's because I played a lot of PoE but holy poo poo this game seems even more complicated.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

AnonSpore posted:

I am stupid idiot babby who needs his hand held, does anyone have general tips in how to build your character? What is the upside of veteran mode? Maybe it's because I played a lot of PoE but holy poo poo this game seems even more complicated.

Yeah it's really complicated and there aren't the same kinds of third party resources available for checking out available builds. Since I don't have unlimited time to test my own builds, it puts a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm for the game. Hopefully once it is 'released' in a couple months, things will pick up a bit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

there's grim calc, graceful dusk and the build compendium on the forums, the list of builds is just fairly light right now since they made a new thread and removed the old builds after devotion happened and so many of them need to be updated.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Regarding building a new character, the only thing you need to be worried about is over-ranking the mastery skills for each class. Everything else can be retrained/reset. In other words, try out the different skills -- your activated skills and your classes' default attack replacement skill while leveling up.

Here are some class guides to get you started:

https://www.youtube.com/user/meatheadmikhail/playlists?sort=dd&view=50&shelf_id=4

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Don't let the complexity spoil your fun. You really can't screw yourself out of finishing the game even on Veteran, which takes like 40+ hours. I've had to switch my build up to keep things moving, but less than ideal stat choices are the only thing that you'll get stuck with. So for stats, generally just get enough Physique to wear the armor you want (or more because it's never bad), and Cunning for physical damage or Spirit for magical damage.

The one beginner trap I did run into, though, was putting too many points in class masteries. Put a bunch of points into something that Kills Stuff, then you can shift those points around if you want to try different skills.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

What is the upside of veteran mode?

If you are a veteran of the ARPG genre, you may find that Normal difficulty may not provide you with a sufficient challenge. For such players, we have added an additional game mode aptly named Veteran mode. You can enable Veteran mode at any time prior to loading a character into the world, and can similarly disable it again should it prove too difficult.

Veteran mode increases the challenge on Normal difficulty by making monsters stronger and tougher. You will also encounter an increased number of spawns, with a noticeable increase in the spawn rate of champion and hero monsters. With the increase in monster density, you will also notice an increase in the amount of loot that drops, making Veteran mode a rewarding experience for those that can survive its challenges.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah my newbie shaman can handle Veteran no problem with devouring swarm, the rifle demolitionist I tried first had trouble though.

According to the GD forums Devouring Swarm skillmod can spawn on vendor items just like all the other skills I've been seeing, I was just really unlucky last night I guess. Brings back memories of shopping for amazing wands and staffs in D2 act 1.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Builds that use weapons can be tricky if you aren't paying attention to what kind of damage you really do. You might think rifles automatically means physical, but one piece of %fire or %elemental damage gear will probably do more for your damage than 10 levels of pumping Cunning.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One of the bulletpoints on the game is have choices that matter but so far the only choices that have mattered are whether or not I accept a quest. Does that change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

One of the bulletpoints on the game is have choices that matter but so far the only choices that have mattered are whether or not I accept a quest. Does that change?

Well, there's a faction choice later on with different quest chains and faction items depending on which you go with. There are also a bunch of quests that work out differently and have different rewards depending on what you choose.