Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalenEvil
Apr 22, 2014
The only thing I could think of was Finding Nemo when Limb said the party was friends. What I wanted to hear was "[Party] are... friends, not food, kay?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coleman francis posted:

So we're like halfway thru the game right?

I was curious. We've had 18 updates, and in in game clock is at 18h28m. There have been only 7h19m of actual videos, so either there is a lot of stuff going on off camera, or a lot of time is spent idling in game while our heroes are doing real life things. I'm going to guess the latter.

Either way, according to google the game takes about 47.5 hours to beat normally. So we're either 39% of the way through, or 15% of the way through the game. I feel like nothing has really happened yet, and it doesn't look like there has been any grinding, so I'm guessing 15% is more likely.

At this rate, we got either 28 or 105 more updates. We've averaging an update every 3.5 days. This means the LP should be finished somewhere around December 21st 2016 (39%) or September 17, 2017 (15%). Curious how close we get to either of these figures.

(By the way, I wouldn't have made an effortpost if I wasn't really enjoying the LP. Also, I think there is a speedrun of this game in under 3 hours.)

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 15, 2016

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Chuu posted:

I was curious. We've had 18 updates, and in in game clock is at 18h28m. There have been only 7h19m of actual videos, so either there is a lot of stuff going on off camera, or a lot of time is spent idling in game while our heroes are doing real life things. I'm going to guess the latter.

Either way, according to google the game takes about 47.5 hours to beat normally. So we're either 39% of the way through, or 15% of the way through the game. I feel like nothing has really happened yet, and it doesn't look like there has been any grinding, so I'm guessing 15% is more likely.

At this rate, we got either 28 or 105 more updates. We've averaging an update every 3.5 days. This means the LP should be finished somewhere around December 21st 2016 (39%) or September 17, 2017 (15%). Curious how close we get to either of these figures.

(By the way, I wouldn't have made an effortpost if I wasn't really enjoying the LP. Also, I think there is a speedrun of this game in under 3 hours.)

The game clock is not a 18h28m, that's the time the PlayStation thinks that save was made at. The game clock is at 7h32m as of the end of the most recent video posted.

I post an update every four days, they will almost certainly become more frequent at some point.

For future reference, how often would people like to see updates and how often would be too often?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Please post a new update every 11 minutes for the remainder of the year.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Too often would probably be multiple a day, but I don't really have preference for how frequent you update as long as your not busting your rear end to get them out.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

wateyad posted:

The game clock is not a 18h28m, that's the time the PlayStation thinks that save was made at. The game clock is at 7h32m as of the end of the most recent video posted.

I post an update every four days, they will almost certainly become more frequent at some point.

For future reference, how often would people like to see updates and how often would be too often?

3 a week? Yeah, 3 a week sounds good.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Chuu posted:

Really? That seems surprising, much like every RPG there's a whole lot of walking around and stuff you have to do that doesn't directly advance the plot that it feels like it takes up over 3 hours by itself, even minus required battles/battle prep.

FeyerbrandX posted:

3 a week? Yeah, 3 a week sounds good.

Yeah, anything slower than daily is good to me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
3 a week if good if you can keep it up without going mad. Because we love you and value your mental health.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Because we love you and value your mental health.

We do?

OH, YES! WE DO! :ninja:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suspect Bucket posted:

3 a week if good if you can keep it up without going mad. Because we love you and value your mental health.

If that was true, we wouldn't be still encouraging them to play TLO and let them stop with Pork Lift's sweet innocent soul still untainted by it's true evils.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Polsy posted:

Really? That seems surprising, much like every RPG there's a whole lot of walking around and stuff you have to do that doesn't directly advance the plot that it feels like it takes up over 3 hours by itself, even minus required battles/battle prep.

I'm guessing either there is a huge context skipping exploit, or some exploit in the crafting system that basically turns every battle into an insta-win. Will be curious to find out which in a year. Assuming there isn't something in this game that just completely turns me off to it between now and the end.

I'm hoping it's not that at some point the final boss ungates but you have tons of optional missions to help with the battle, like Mass Effect. I don't mind this formula, but it tends to be incredibly hit-or-miss and I don't trust tri-Ace to not mess it up.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 16, 2016

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It isn't the latter, this game is linear as gently caress.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EDIT: Wrong Let's Play.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That's a bad comparison, CT opens up a poo poo ton of side quests before the final boss.

This game cribs from the Sailor Moon game that just finished getting LPed in terms of linearity.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
This game has utterly collapsed in on itself and it's magical.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As long as you post it all. Even the un-postable stuff.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

It isn't the latter, this game is linear as gently caress.

You do get to a point where you can travel around to places you've been. New sidequests and events will open up and as you get more people, you'll get new harvesting techniques to take advantage of.

One of the things I liked about this game was combat could be a lot of fun, and each character felt different to use. I got a lot of battle trophies just playing around with each one, and a lot of trophies that sounded hard to get seemed to just pop up as I experimented.

This game gets a lot of flack, a lot of which is deserved. But for the most part I did have fun with it and don't regret the purchase.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Technically I'm posting this a day late but I haven't slept since I woke up on the day I should have posted it, we've been recording all day and the forums got DDoSed

Episode 18: Cat, Dog, Lizard, What's the Difference?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWRRcdcbEPI

Updates will be every three days from now on until such time as running the numbers on the average rate we record comes to indicate that every other day won't potentially eat our whole backlog and result in a gap. If that never happens then they'll go to every other day once we finish recording the game but that'll probably be a while.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I did not get the reference :(

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I did not understand that reference

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I DID understand that reference. TM&WL right? I'm pretty sure that's where it's from.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Erd posted:

I DID understand that reference. TM&WL right? I'm pretty sure that's where it's from.

You're a good person.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I've only seen a little bit of TM&WL, but at least I know what it is.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What is TM&WL?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

What is TM&WL?

That Mitchell and Webb Look, presumably. One of the greatest sketch comedy shows in recent(ish) years.

The Nazi sketch comes up pretty often in internet discussions, but I think my favorite is The Quiz Broadcast, also known as Remain Indoors.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Now no one will be able to stplesp.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

That Mitchell and Webb Look, presumably. One of the greatest sketch comedy shows in recent(ish) years.

The Nazi sketch comes up pretty often in internet discussions, but I think my favorite is The Quiz Broadcast, also known as Remain Indoors.

I've always been partial to three "The Incredibly Posh People who are still, unaccountably, X" sketches.

That and the Avacado Bath.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 19: 1F North
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6DQSunbY-k

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So it's been a couple hours now, and they still only have two special moves, is the whole game going to be like this? It's hard to see this as particularly fun when your options are so limited.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Momomo posted:

So it's been a couple hours now, and they still only have two special moves, is the whole game going to be like this? It's hard to see this as particularly fun when your options are so limited.

I have .avs files for up to episode 33 and an entire other day of recording's footage I haven't touched yet. At the point we're at, Lymle technically has the most attack options with two different cerberus summoning techniques and three attack spells while Wet, SamRaimi and [REDACTED] have three non-spell special attacks each. Honestly though, the variety of attacks available doesn't change very much when the controls and system mechanics encourage you to construct a single combo to spam and do nothing to discourage that from being as many copies of the same attack as you can set.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

I have .avs files for up to episode 33 and an entire other day of recording's footage I haven't touched yet. At the point we're at, Lymle technically has the most attack options with two different cerberus summoning techniques and three attack spells while Wet, SamRaimi and [REDACTED] have three non-spell special attacks each. Honestly though, the variety of attacks available doesn't change very much when the controls and system mechanics encourage you to construct a single combo to spam and do nothing to discourage that from being as many copies of the same attack as you can set.
I'm surprised you don't have more party members by that point. I was expecting this to be the kind of game that would poo poo out more characters than you could ever want or use.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

The other Star Ocean games weren't paced too much different than this one in terms of getting new characters. Remember we're only about 3 or 4 dungeons in at this point.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Hell, star ocean 3 had a MASSIVE amount of time with just Cliff and Nel.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

I remember right, the next place after this planet has the next party member (and they're pretty boss).

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
Just posting to say that I'm enjoying the continuing adventures of Wet Blanket, Sam Raimi, and Limb, while 555 mills about just out of camera shot.

I really really wanted to like this game. I gave it the fairest shot I ever did, and quit at about 30 hours in just before the final dungeon. I couldn't justify playing it anymore when I hated every single character in the party, except for maybe Sam Raimi who barely even has a personality to hate.

And then I played Demons' Souls and everything was wonderful.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
My favorite was in star ocean 1 where you spend quite a while with only 2 party members (counting your protagonist) and then a third one shows up and is all "hey you want me to be in your party?" and if you say yes it sets you down the path of getting the objectively worse set of party members.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 20: Amen to That
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peox8-QupKw

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
This boss battle exemplifies why I gave up on the Star Ocean games: the battles become tedious grinds that are in no way made up for by the lackluster plots and idiotic protags.

But really it was the MMO twist/reveal of 3 that killed it for me. gently caress that lazy-rear end writing.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

The secret is to shoot it until it dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

AltaBrown posted:

This boss battle exemplifies why I gave up on the Star Ocean games: the battles become tedious grinds that are in no way made up for by the lackluster plots and idiotic protags.

This one really exacerbates it because you have to run away constantly because yes, Dragon Tornado is much too powerful to let yourself get hit by, while simultaneously being required to do any kind of damage.

Also, thanks 555

• Locked thread