Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The main issue isn't Reynn pointing out the blatantly suspicious thing is suspicious, the main issue is that she proceeds to do it anyways. Instead of actually helping, she comes across as someone that feels she's better than everyone but in reality is incapable of any sort of action.

Lann: "Hey let's do what's right in front of us!"
Reynn: "No wait that's stupid."
Lann: "So what do we do?"
Reynn: "uuuuuhhhhhh we do it but only with me pointing out it's stupid"

That's not good writing. If anything, Reynn comes across as an even bigger idiot than Lann because at least Lann has no idea about consequences, Reynn fully realizes poo poo is almost definitely going to go wrong and proceeds to do it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah that's the thing. And she's not really suspicious when she should be - like with Terra or hell with Rhyming Shortcackle. So it does feel like she's only doing it to rub it in Lann's face.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Vauron posted:

I'm gonna voice some dissent regarding Reynn. While I am 100% not okay with beating someone unconscious and leaving them in an area surrounded by monsters, I was more annoyed that they were still going on with plan 'literally do exactly what the badguy prophecy wants you to do'. By the time that I was done with Niflheim and its suburb I'd gone from being quite skeptical of following that prophecy to being certain it was a bad idea. Similarly, I liked that her initial reaction to the prophecy was to doubt that it was talking about them. From a meta perspective it almost certainly was, but she couldn't know that.

As to her failure to offer an alternative, that never was a problem for me. Following the prophecy had always had an air of 'We have to do something, and this is something.' Just because you're doing something doesn't mean the thing you are doing is a good idea. Well before this point I wanted the twins to drop the prophecy and instead join up with the League of S to bring down the Empire.

On a game-play note, while you have been describing the cheat functions as being added in Maxima, this is not the case. I finished this game several months before Maxima was released and yet I had made use of both the max gil and the no random encounters cheats.

The cheat options may have been added in a patch. I just assumed that they were added with Maxima because my only experience with the game is the base version from 2016. I'll go back and fix that bit at some point.

As for Reynn, the reason she bugs me so much is because she constantly waxes on about how suspicious everything is, or what people's motivations could be, or whether what they are doing is a good idea or not, but she doesn't do anything about it. She takes no actions whatsoever to address those concerns. Reynn's character is supposed to be the "smart" one, at least in comparison to Lann anyway, but she doesn't really back that character type up. There are things she can be doing to act on her suspicions, but she doesn't.

As you said, they could be working with the League of S to try and figure out what's going on or what role they're possibly playing in the bad guy's plans (hell, that's what they initially set out to do, but then as soon as they met one of the members they just kind of forgot about it). Yet they don't do that and instead Reynn just second guesses everything while she's in the middle of going through with it. It's frustrating because if she just stopped to say "Hey, maybe we should try doing this instead, huh?" then she'd be a better character in my eyes. Lann is the reckless one that typically drags the group into trouble but pulls them through through luck or willpower. Reynn is normally supposed to be the counterpoint character that pulls the (forgive the pun) reigns and acts as the voice of reason, but she doesn't do that. She just... stands there and thinks aloud.

morallyobjected posted:

on the other hand, this is like the one lead they have on trying to find their parents, and literal god sent them to Grymoire to get involved.

they're also like 15(?), so decision making isn't their strong suit, but these are similar to the complaints people had about the characters in VIII being immature when they're teenagers brought up in a mercenary school to kill people

That just makes it weirder though. Reynn isn't overly suspicious of Anamika or Enna Kros (other than thinking about whether or not they are really gods). Enna Kros claims to be god and then just disappears on them. Tama and Serafie admit that they don't really know anything about her either. She's a very suspicious person, especially since she is the one that set them on this path.

But the Masked Woman shows up and says "Hey, the answers you're seeking are up that staircase and possibly your mom. The keys you got give you the right to know. Anyway, bye." and Reynn's immediate reaction is to stop the group in their tracks and go "WHO IS SHE? WHY DID SHE TELL US THAT? WHAT'S HER GOAL?!" Keep in mind that neither Lann or Reynn have seen Masked Woman doing anything suspicious.

Robindaybird posted:

yeah that's the thing. And she's not really suspicious when she should be - like with Terra or hell with Rhyming Shortcackle. So it does feel like she's only doing it to rub it in Lann's face.

Exactly. Terra clearly knows something is wrong and they could easily just wait for her to come to and question her. They aren't under any kind of time limit. Lann's only concern is getting attacked by someone else. Hell, Lilikins are small enough that you can just carry them, so take Terra with you until she wakes up.

But Enna Kros is essentially trusted "no questions asked". She's very dodgy when Reynn and Lann try and find out who or what she is, Tama and Serafie don't know either, she convinces them to go to Grymoire in the first place and collect Mirages, and she has suspiciously great but also limited powers. She is incredibly shady, yet the twins just go along with it while going "I wonder if she really is god?"

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 27, 2019

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Before we start, I forgot to show off Dingldoink's new regal form.

Alright, let's back to this. We've still got a ways to go.

To the right of the rest area we stopped at is a switch. Wind Resistance is a new one, but thankfully the save point is right over there, so it shouldn't be too hard to find something in the Prism Case to fill the requirements.

I use Dualizard for the Wind Resistance and then just add Litten and Pingu for weight.

The switch activates the inactive crystal to the left which leads us across the gap.

There's two paths from here. The spiral staircase is where we want to go, but that amber crystal just ahead will lead to a chest with Mega Phoenix, so grab that first.

Sis?

Hweh? Reynn, is something the-wrong?

No trivia... So I guess that means she isn't upset at me. Hellooo? Reynn?

Uh, what's up?

That's what I wanna know. What's the deal?

Uh, it's hard to explain. I guess I sort of get the feeling... I've been here before.

The Day of Javoo? Is that, like, doomsday? "Bow before the mighty Javoo, humans!"

We'll just pretend he's not the-here. Reynn, do you the-want to take a break? I don't the-mind.

We are taking a break. I stop every time you guys start having a chat because I don't want to hear the first few words of your sentence repeated multiple times as it gets interrupted by battles and menu prompts.

Oh, no. I'll be fine. Thanks, Tama. Let's keep moving!

Roger the-dodger!

But what about the mighty Javoo?!

There's another new Mirage on the way. Unicorns are a rarely appearing enemy in the series. They show up in the original Final Fantasy (although they are called "MadPony" or "Crazy Horse" in the NES versions) and few places else. It's a summon in V, VI, and Tactics, and is also available as a mount in XIV. There are enemies in XI as well as a summon in X (Ixion) that look similar to them, but I don't think they are specifically Unicorns.

After getting to the top of the spiral staircase, there is a flutter point straight ahead that leads to another spiral staircase. Keep on going up.

At the top of that staircase is a chest with 3 wobblestoppers in it. Head left from there to get back to the main staircase and head to the next floor.

Okay, then I'm just tired.

You're gonna have to stick it out, Lann.

Okay, then I'm just sticky.

If you're sticky, then would you glue your mouth shut? Permanently?

I'm on your side Lann. I want to get out of this place. Anyway, to the right of this place is a chest with 3 remedies.

Up from that is a crystal that transports us a short distance. We're met by a split path after that, as well as a red crystal further ahead.

The amber crystal is actually a bit of a shortcut. It just transports you to the left side of that crystal bridge up ahead. From there, you can head north a bit and find a green crystal that will lead to another optional Kuza Beast. From that point you can then run back down to find the red crystal. This place is basically just a big loop.

The red crystal is the one that takes us towards progress. Take it and then head left to get back to the central staircase. Heading up that triggers another non-loading transition, after which we can run up to another roadblock. Go right, through the broken portion of wall, then run along the outer ring.

Why are you talking in the third the-person?

There's only one way to go, so follow it until we reach the next section.

The Mirages are getting stronger as we go, too.

Yeah. Stay on your toes.

Use a Teleport Stone if you need to turn the-back. And you can the-access the Prism Case via the Seraphone.

Don't do this. Or at least, don't use the Teleport Stone. We're close to the top and using a Teleport Stone would mean having to redo this entire portion from the section we started at. Screw that.

Keep following the only route until reaching a split. Head down to a flutter point to get to two chests with a lightning spellstone in one and an ice spellstone in the other. Then head back across the flutter point and continue north.

At the top of the next spiral staircase, we get another switch. Earth Resistance is another one we see little of.

I use Flammantoise for the Earth Resistance and Dingldoink/Unicorn for the weight. This activates an amber crystal which let's us move forward. Head north and left from there to get back to the central staircase.

The path is blocked by a Kuza Kit this time. They have the same capture condition as the Beasts, which is that you have to land a counterattack. We get another clearcryst for this battle as well, which means we can get to the secret area as soon as we reach the top.

The top which is thankfully right up the staircase beyond the Kuza Kit.

I also picked up the Kuza Beast at this point. Although the Kuza Beast is a color-swapped version of Behemoth in this game, it is a specific enemy in FFV. You find it in the Phoenix Tower and have to choose the right switch or else you have to fight it. It has an attack which deals damage based on the difference between Max HP and current HP, so it is potentially very dangerous.

Anyway, on to the top of the tower.

I can feel it too. Let's be careful.

This place is... new. I don't know if this is a call out to a specific location, but it reminds me a lot of FFX. Something about the floating rock platforms combined with the big floaty glyphs.

Anyway, before we figure out what's going on there, let's go check out that secret area. Take the red crystal to get back to the first floor, then head down the super long staircase while getting the Gimme Golems out of the way. At the bottom is an amber crystal.

And look who we find chilling out down here. Good old Titan.

Titan is pretty easy to capture, unless you have a crippling Earth weakness. Landing a critical hit might take a while, but he has the HP to survive your basic attacks and his strength isn't anything spectacular.

His special attack is fairly strong, but as with all single enemy battles, you just need a healer to keep everyone topped up. Just keep swinging away until someone gets a lucky critical.

Titan can transfig into Maduin should we want that, although we need the Memento first. No change in size from it though.

Titan started as a summon in FFIII (and later is a boss in the Earth Temple). He appears in most of the games in the series as the resident Earth summon creature. He serves a minor story role in FFXV and is also a pretty badass looking summon to call forth.

That's it for the secret area. Back to the big spooky glyph door.

Update 25 Highlights - Big Spooky Glyph Door

Cut me some slack, door!

Do you really think talking to it is gonna help?

Maybe all this time, it wanted the-someone to "open up" to!

Oh, c'mon. I mean, anything is possible. After all the weird stuff we've seen happen--

Not the-possible.

And also dumb?

Dude, what?

But, I can always just add this one to the pile.

Another "Lann moment"? So how many am I up to now?

Focus, please.

That's the-right! You the-know your stuff.

Our mom taught us about them when we were--

Reynn, you remember?

Huh? No, I just... Where did that come from?

Maybe you've been the-here, or it could be your mother is somewhere close the-by.

Really?

Hey. I said the-maybe.

O-oh... Well, yeah. Of course. Uh... So what's up with the four symbols?

They're probably the-tied to what we call a quadrelemence barrier. Each element is defended by its own the-separate Mirage.

You can see where this is about to lead.

In other words, we're dealing with at least four different Mirages.

You the-got it.

All right, then. Let's track 'em down and-- Hey, Reynn, what's wrong?

Huh? Yeah, we need to find the Mirages guarding the four elemental locks.

She wasn't even paying attention and still summarized it better than me.

Yeah, way to knock off like 5 words.

You do kind of have a habit of branching the-off on tangents.

Yup. Those Lann moments are really piling up. Shall we?

Yeah, yeah. Lann moments. Whatever. Let's just get rolling on this scavenger hunt.

Oh, don't even the-bother! It's so the-deep, you'd the-never be able to see it all.

(This place. I know I remember it. But, when could I have possibly come here?)

Think about it on the way, Reynn. I want to get out of here.

When the scene ends, another one will begin the moment you move towards the left or right.

Wha? Oh, yeah, you're right.

Maybe the keys keep them from falling into the wrong the-hands?

Oh dude! I've got the right hands. I'm so worthy to use them!

Hell yeah! Let's get some sweet elemental weapons!

Nnnnnnngh! Cut me some slack, sword!

Weird... Are these weapons even meant to be used?

Given their size, it does seem kind of the-strange.

Eh. I mean, they are pretty big, but you guys are teenagers. I'm sure a full-grown adult could swing them around.

And look. They have the same light as the quadrelemence barrier. It's possible that they're locked down by the same forces.

Then I guess first we'll have to the-deal with those four elemental locks.

All right, let's get this show on the road!

There's a green crystal on the left and a blue on the right, but it doesn't really matter which one you start with. Unless you rely on elemental exploitation, then you'll want to prepare based on which one you plan to tackle first. The green crystal is Wind and Earth. Blue is Water and Fire.

Taking the green crystal, we're transported to another section of the tower. The path is straightforward and lacking in items, but there are a different set of Mirages.

One of which is the sandworm that I haven't gone back to the desert to acquire. Sandworms have been around since FFI. They weren't a huge threat in that game, but they quickly grew to be more dangerous as the series went on (they are made stronger in the 3D remakes of the old titles, like FFIII and IV). Curiously, they don't appear in FFVI, but they are referenced as existing.

There's nothing of interest beyond that. You can find Wind Toads and Moogles as well, but there are no treasure chests and no alternate paths to explore. Just a long walk through multiple levels.

At the bottom, the game is nice enough to put a save point in. They are also merciful enough to pair up the Wind and Earth enemies into one fight.

So this must be the wind lock's keeper...

Okay, but why does it have so many heads?!

We've got Tiamat and Asterius, neither of which can be imprismed right now. They both share a weakness to Water, so that's a good route to take if you have the means.

This is a slightly more difficult fight than usual. Tiamat has an attack called Acid Mist which drops defence, while Asterius has a move called Bulldozer which hits for about 1100. Tiamat also has Whirlwind, which is multi-target. Asterius may sometimes cast Focus to try and boost the damage of Quake, which it'll cast on the following turn.

They aren't incredibly fast, so you shouldn't have any trouble keeping up with healing. Multi-target healing is a great thing to have for this fight, though. Curaga or a properly levelled Moogle are good options.

Unfortunately, they give pitiful experience. On the plus side, they do cough up their mementos and 8 Arma Gems.

Oh, nice!

The game will automatically transport you back to the final floor after the fight, which is nice of it.

Since we beat two Mirages, we just need one more pair.

Top off at the save point before hitting up the blue crystal.

This area is basically identical to the previous one. No items, one path, multiple floors to run through in order to reach the boss.

We can pick up Ghidra, which is the transfig of the Dualizard type enemies. From Ghidra, we can get a Tiamat of our very own.

There's also a variant in the Coliseum called Nidhogg.

Tiamat/Nidhogg are regular enemies in the series, starting with FFI. Tiamat is the strongest of the Four Fiends in FFI and usually one of the strongest monsters in other appearances. The multi-headed appearance is actually fairly uncommon. Roughly half of the games where it appears depict it with a single head.

Skipping over the entirety of the trip because it's completely uninteresting, we arrive at the bottom to find these two guys hanging out by a save point.

They look the-really strong!

But you know who's stronger? Us! Maybe!

"Heh heh heh! You fools! These dark depths shall be your tomb!"

Tama, you okay?

Oh, he just looked like he the-wanted to say as much, that's all.

What?!

These two work a little bit better as a pair than the others. Kraken likes to cast Reflect, Waterga, and Evil Mist (which can inflict statuses like Poison). Buer likes to hit with Fira magic and Accursed Gaze (which can inflict slow).

The same strategy works, though. Focus on one of them at a time and try to stay healed. If you lack Esuna, status heal items, or multi-target healing, then Shelke is a good Champion to have equipped since she can clear the field and heal you up.

Woo-hoo!

Uh, right...

I think this could be the-it: the final showdown!

Not likely, Tama. There's still a ton of loose threads dangling around and we haven't even awakened all the Champions.

Update 25 Highlights - Big Spooky Glyph Door Round 2

*And the weapons go flying right into the glyph*

Wow!

Aaah! What was that?!

The weapons, they all went the-"stab" into the door!

I guess that means they were the keys that open it. (But what could a barrier this strong be trying to keep out? Or in...)

I don't know, The Hulk maybe? The gently caress does it matter, Reynn? We already busted it open. Way too late for second-thoughts now.

Guys, let's check it out. Okay? Okay?

And that's where the chapter ends. With Crystal Tower behind us, we can now look forward to big important story stuff in the next update. The top of the Crystal Tower is supposed to be where God grants the Jiants from the Hills eternity... or brings ruin to the world, we're still kind of unclear on which one.

There's a bit of space left in the update (and there was very little happening during it), so let's take a moment to go through the Champion Jewels we unlocked and see what their special attacks are. It's pretty much the only chance we'll ever see them in use.

Update 25 Highlights - Champion Jewel Ability Showcase

We'll start off with Warrior of Light and Refia. Refia doesn't actually get any flashy skills. Her special Champion Jewel skills are Enhanced Cure and Refia's Support (which sometimes gives a full restore after battle). Some of the Champions are like that.

Warrior of Light gets Shining Wave as well as a passive boost to Light element attacks. Warrior of Light had Shining Wave as an attack in Dissidia.

Next is Shelke and Snow. Shelke's special ability is passive. It sometimes causes a regular attack to inflict Confusion or Oblivion. She also has an Accuracy+ boost.

Snow gets Froststrike and Enhanced Ice. Froststrike is an ability of the Ravager class in FFXIII. It isn't exclusive to Snow, as both Lightning and Fang can also use it.

Lightning gets Flourish of Steel as well as Enhanced Thunder. Flourish of Steel is Odin's move in FFXIII, but Lightning later appropriates it.

And Squall gets Rough Divide and Critical AP Hike (restores AP when taking a critical hit). Rough Divide is Squall's starting Limit in FFVIII.

Bartz gets Mimic (where he will sometimes use the same attack he was hit by as a counter) and Elemental Absorber (which sometimes absorbs elemental damage). Bartz' fighting style in Dissidia is centered around Mimicking the other FF heroes.

Celes gets Spinning Edge, which deals more damage the less HP she has (which is why this one did 0). Spinning Edge is Celes' Desperation Attack in FFVI. She also has Cornered Beast, which raises evasion chance/accuracy/critical chance when HP is low.

Cloud gets Slayer Cross-slash. WoFF calls it Slayer but I've never seen it called that except in FFXIII. He also gets Strength++. Cross-slash is Cloud's second Limit Break in FFVII.

And Tidus gets Spiral Cut as well as Enhanced Water. Spiral Cut is Tidus' starting Overdrive in FFX.

Shantotto only gets passives: Manafont (abilities sometimes have 0 AP cost) and Strategic AP Hike (restores AP by hitting enemies with their elemental weakness).

That takes care of that. Next time, we find out what's at the top of the Crystal Prophecy Tower of Possible Doom or Salvation.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 26, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think you forgot to close a bold tag or two early in the update. Character dialogue is in bold up until Tama's "Whay are you talking in third person?" line.

Psycho Knight posted:

Oh, c'mon. I mean, anything is possible. After all the weird stuff we've seenm happen--
Typo here?

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 28, 2019

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I think you forgot to close a bold tag or two early in the update. Character dialogue is in bold up until Tama's "Whay are you talking in third person?" line.

Typo here?

Thanks, I got them both.

Currently working on Update 26 which I want to try and get up tonight. These past two updates have been really heavy on dungeon without a lot happening (especially the last one). The next two updates are basically going to be the complete opposite, almost all story with barely any battling.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I wonder why they used Kraken and Tiamat, but not Marilith and Lich. I guess Lich would be sharing real-estate with Undead Princess, but I don't think Marilith is used elsewhere...?

Also, while enemies named Unicorns are only present in the GBA and PSP versions of Final Fantasy I, all of the horse-type enemies are unicorns (i.e. they have a single horn) in all versions.

And, finally, a kinda-nitpicky correction: while Titan was a summon and a boss in III (and I'm not sure why; the boss didn't use the same sprite as the summon), the summon came first, and is, in fact, the highest-power buyable summon. The boss is the guardian of the Earth Crystal (the last one), and also kind of the "guardian" for the final dungeon by extension due to questionable pacing choices.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Hoo boy. Get ready for some story. There's like a straight 30 minutes where I just set my controller down and leaned back.

So if you got bored during the last two updates then get ready, because these next two are basically all plot all the time.

Update 26 Highlights - Chapter Opening

Very pretty.

Huh?

Whoa. Check it out. This place is...

It's the-beautiful.

Something about it makes me...

Feel safe.

Y-yeah... You think... Mom could be here?

Maybe. Let's find her.

Only one place to go, so just head for the big platform.

*Lann then gets hit with a memory punch*

*Whoever the blurry figure is is saying something, but it's so static-y that he can't be understood*

...!

Lann?

You are here.

Are you the king? Of the Bahamutian Federation?!

Federation? How very quaint. Is that the tale Segwarides has been spreading? So be it. Then you have found me out, boy. I am king of the Bahamutian Federation-- Brandelis!

Brandelis is voiced by Tony Amendola in English and Hidekatsu Shibata in Japanese.

He's the one. The villain behind it all.

In the cage there-- is that Lusse Farna? What did you do to our mom?

Is that why you have come?

What?

Tell me why you have traveled all this way.

You have our mom, right? Give her back!

Yeah. Start by setting her free.

Yeah!

Naive fools. Still. I will play my part.

Update 26 Highlights - Brandelis Fight
World of Final Fantasy Music: Giga World of Battle

Reynn, you have to snap the-out of it and stay focused!

Yeah, she's right! Since when are you the one to space out at a critical moment?

B-be quiet! I'm paying attention, okay?

Good!

Brandelis is actually capable of putting up a good fight. He has no weaknesses or resistances and the only ailment he is susceptible to is Slow (for good reason, he is very fast).

He has elemental attacks called Blaze, Tsunami, Earthquake, and Whirlwind. These are essentially just the -ga versions of elemental spells (such as Waterga/Firaga/etc.).

At least one of them is likely to hit you pretty hard. Unless you've specifically fine-tuned your stacks for elemental coverage then you'll probably take a good hit from two or three of them.

Either way, Brandelis is probably going to be quite a bit faster than you, so he'll be spamming them repeatedly.

He'll cycle his way through all four of them, and on top of that he has a standard physical attack which can hit for about 700.

Before you go into this fight, it's a good idea to have an ample supply of Spider Silk or the Slow ability (Spider Silk is better as it doesn't have the AP cost of Slow). If you can't slow him down then it's going to be tough to keep up with healing while also trying to wear down his HP. Getting Slow on him should drop his speed to be roughly on your level, so you'll be able to get both Lann and Reynn's turns in for every one that he gets.

Champion Medals can help here, since the attack type Medals will bypass defence and deal a solid chunk of damage. If you have been training up the Behemonster then he should prove useful as well. Behemonster is a very physically strong attacker (when trained), can get Counter, and also has a move called Meteor Stance which will counter an attack with the Meteor spell.

Those are just some suggestions. The fight isn't necessarily hard because of how predictable it is. Brandelis doesn't really have any surprises, he's just very fast and has multi-target moves, which messes with the usual 2-on-1 strategy.

Update 26 Highlights - Brandelis Defeated

Suck it, Brandelis.

Huh? You mean we... won?

Honk YEAH! And here I thought that was gonna be hard.

That was the-mazing! Think of all the people across the-Grymoire that you just saved from their plight!

Yeah, but I bet those nutcases who sided with the Federation are gonna sweat.

What is that pose, Lann?

Oh, right! Reynn, come on! We gotta bust Mom out.

Oh, right. But, how do we open it?

Chuck a rock at it? It looks fairly fragile.

You again?

Huh? Sorry?

Only Mirage Keepers are permitted to use that mighty portal-- the Ultima Gate.

Ultima Gate? Guys, maybe don't go opening that poo poo up or activating it or whatever the gently caress you do with it. Ultima Gate doesn't sound like a good thing, it sounds like an incredibly ominous thing, like say... Pandora's Box.

Flashback again. Things are a tiny bit more clear this time, although we still can't understand the blurry figure.

....! I think I'm... starting to remember... The portal... it started to shine... And then the cage appeared.

Then, that means this isn't your the-first time seeing it!

Yeah... It's hazy, but I've seen this gate before.

Then you know what to do. Use it.

W-wait! Who are you?

OH MY GOD! IT'S....uhhh.... future Sophie from Tales of Graces maybe? I'm drawing a blank here guys, feel like filling us in?

.....?!

Oh good, seems like Reynn recognizes who the hell this girl is.

[Child]: What? But I didn't do anything bad at all! You shouldn't go saying stuff like that about me, okay Hauyn?

[Hauyn]: Hey! What'd I tell you? We're like sisters. Since you and I are close, why don't you call me Wyn?

I know I'd prefer that. Hauyn's name is pronounced like "ow" and "in". Wyn is so much simpler.

[Child]: Hee hee! Okay, I will, Wyn.

Ah, the typical Japanese head pat. Always a pleaser.

What? Did you just say... "our sister"?

I didn't know you had an older the-sister!

Let's reminisce later. Save Lady Lusse.

So then, that really is our mom in the cage?

Well, okay then. Let's hurry up and activate the Ultima Gate thingamajig and bust the cage open!

R-right!

Guys, at least try my rock chucking idea before you go activating giant celestial gates. You don't even have to chuck it if you don't want to. Just give Tama the rock and have her fly up and bash on it a bit.

Update 26 Highlights - The Ultima Gate

No? Okay then.

Alright... I admit that it did look pretty dangerous there for a second, but now it looks super beautiful.

Mom!

Oh, awesome! Job well done, then. ...The Crimson one was the good prophecy, right?

Mom!

Hweh?!

Wh-what? How can this...

How could you do this... twice?

What do you mean?

You opened it again.

World of Final Fantasy Music: Exnine Melody
Ha ha ha ha ha! The Crimson Prophecy has been fulfilled!

I commend you all. You may dispense with the illusion now, Ywain.

What is going on...? Reynn, tell me what's happening!

How am I supposed to know? Wyn, what is this? What's going on?

*And then she falls down*

I thought Segwarides' laborious narrative might never end.

I share that sentiment. Should we do this again, you will keep your prophecy more concise.

Hee hee hee hee! But you cannot accuse me of excess. Every step was necessary to the plan. Hee hee hee ha ha!

Tell me, what of the soul crystal? How much of the populace have we harvested?

If I had to offer up a guess, then just about four souls in every ten.

Is that all? After a whole century?

I have been selective, and discreet. With Champions awakening again, we're lucky to have pulled off such a feat. Hee hee hee hee!

So this keeps going from bad to worse.

Now what is it?!

Aaah! We-we've really the-done it now!

Done what?!

I know you. You're the...the...the Order of the Circle!

Ah! I have not heard that name in some time.

Were we acquainted in those ages past?

If so, she would have served our enemy.

You bastards! That dance sucks! How dare you bring that evil into the world! :argh:

Nooo! Wh-wh-wh-what are we the-gonna do?! Lann! Reynn! You've gotta-- you've gotta the-hurry up and do something quick!

Tama! You've got to calm down!

How can we do something? We don't even know what's going on!

Update 26 Highlights - Everything goes to poo poo

Not liking this...

:stare:

Probably not a good thing.

Definitely not a good thing.

Yeah... you two done hosed up fiercely.

T-Tama?!

Rrrgh!

Oh, hey. Tidus isn't dead. Or maybe he is and just doesn't know it.

Also, where the hell do those Blitzballs keep coming from?

Okay, that puts a stop to the giant Gundam motherfucker that was on its way through the portal. There's a positive.

The Champions have rallied here to try and intervene before things go awry. Too late. The Cogna have passed through the portal. The fateful arrow has been loosed. Rejoice! For the end of an A-World-- No! The beginning of something greater is now upon us!

*And then the antagonists take off to do whatever, but not before Brandelis' line gets cut off at "upon"*

World of Final Fantasy Music: Mad Dash Melody

We still have a problem on the other hand.

Go how?!

They're here. C'mon!

Let us take care of them!

Okay!

Thanks.

Lann, you get our sister!

Uh... okay!

Cloud is using his Finishing Touch Limit Break in this scene. It's his last Limit Break before Omnislash.

And this is Lightning using the Overclock ability from Lightning Returns.

Chibi Tidus' arm waving looks super weird.

Wh-- Aaah!

Mmkay, so that could have maybe gone a little better. Everything kind of went to poo poo at Warp 10 there. Ultima Weapon is now roaming free, a mechanized army has flooded the world, and there's also those creatures that have been popping out of places where we grabbed keys. On the plus side it looks like everyone made it out okay. Well, everyone we care about (or tolerate) at least. Can't say the same for the people in those towns that got exploded.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 26, 2019

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Well, that went poorly.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

At least the villains did disguise the Big Bad Thing as looking pretty and nice? So the heroes weren't being complete morons here?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I like how the whole prophecy business was set up by the villains because what else will two plucky young heroes with no idea what to do gravitate to?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Robindaybird posted:

At least the villains did disguise the Big Bad Thing as looking pretty and nice? So the heroes weren't being complete morons here?
No, they were because this is what Reynn's suspicious streak has been building up to. There were just enough hints that the crimson prophecy wasn't the original one (this is good) and then on top of that Reynn had to be suspicious about plenty of things (which happened too often and she did nothing about it.)
She should have been way more interested in the Azure prophecy and we should have found out a bit more about it (even if that was 'no one knows it anymore because the crimson prophecy was pushed so hard') before this happened.

As a surprise this is basically worth maybe a blink or two.

BisbyWorl posted:

I like how the whole prophecy business was set up by the villains because what else will two plucky young heroes with no idea what to do gravitate to?

The Dark King (FFMQ) did it better :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't think anyone expected this to end well but this sure ended spectacularly badly even for my expectations.

And considering Wyn downright said that they did it again, this isn't even the first time these two massively hosed everything up. I can't wait to learn how they did it the first time.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think anyone expected this to end well but this sure ended spectacularly badly even for my expectations.

And considering Wyn downright said that they did it again, this isn't even the first time these two massively hosed everything up. I can't wait to learn how they did it the first time.

yeah, the twist here is not that the gate turned out to be a bad thing (anyone could have seen that)--the twist is that they've gone through all of this before and still managed to gently caress it up again.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
To accidentally wreak the world once is a tragedy. To do so twice seems like carelessness.

Also, I love how even Segwarides' team can't stand his theatrics.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There’s loving up, and then there’s... This.

I’m expecting we’ll be seeing everything covered in a fantasy nuclear winter pretty soon.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

BisbyWorl posted:

I like how they had a little mini-conference like the heroes weren't even there anymore, during which they decide to workshop it a bit if they need to ever do it again.

Brand: "Okay, I'll admit that worked pretty good, even if it was goofy. Still though, we need to sit down and proofread the next prophecy if we do this again. Kids are stupid, you need to make it sound less poetic and vague so that it's easier for them to figure out."

Seg: "But that's what makes it sound legit! It needs to be over the top or people won't believe it's mystical and poo poo."

EponymousMrYar posted:

No, they were because this is what Reynn's suspicious streak has been building up to. There were just enough hints that the crimson prophecy wasn't the original one (this is good) and then on top of that Reynn had to be suspicious about plenty of things (which happened too often and she did nothing about it.)

The scary thing is, we haven't even seen the twins at their worst yet. Just wait until they get their memories back.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

It's interesting that Brandelis looks kind of like Garland, of Final Fantasy I fame, and also uses Chaos's (and thus Garland's via Dissidia) four elemental moves (Whirlwind was called Twister in the latest versions of Final Fantasy I but they're still basically the same move). I guess they were trying to sell this as the final boss, though how they expected to do that with him only having one form is beyond me.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Update 27 Highlights - World of Final Fantasy

So things didn't quite go according to plan last update. Reynn and Lann got punked by the bad guys, some kind of invasive machine race got released into the world and started wrecking poo poo, and what we were led to believe was Lann and Reynn's mother in fact turned out to be their friend-sister. Also, friend-sister hinted that the twins may have hosed up royally sometime in the past.

Anyway, what's done is done. At least we escaped that clusterfuck thanks to the League of S.

I hate gravity...

It's a good thing I actually caught you.

Whoa! The lass in glasses!

Hey! We meet aga-- Wait, what did you call me?

Oh, uh... Captain Faris called you that once. I think he's just mimicking her.

Yup!

...Uh... is there some history here that we should be aware of? You seemed pretty cordial with each other back on the ship.

Anyway, we never did get to thank you. You were so helpful when... we...

Hm?

Well, I don't want to sound ungrateful. Your fastcraft did get us to the Low Seas, but... Now, whenever I hear rushing water I remember what it was like almost dying and... Yeah, you really scarred me for life.

Reynn says this 100% serious, by the way. It's a little bit off-putting if I'm being honest, especially considering how goofy the Low Seas scene was portrayed.

Oh, looks like we've arrived at the League of S base.

Final Fantasy VIII Music: Balamb Garden (The League Melody plays here although Balamb Garden is part of the WoFF OST. I guess the League Melody sounds more grand/serious?)

Whoa, check it out! Does the whole building float? This place is chocobaceous!

Lann, of course the whole building floats. We rode an airship to get here! We're high enough in the air to be in the clouds!

Amazed me the first time I saw it too.

This is it. Home base for the League of S.

Balamb Garden.

Balamb Garden is the home base of SeeD in FFVIII. It's an academy that Cid founded to train an anti-Sorceress strike force after Squall and Ultimecia briefly appeared from the future in front of Edea and Squall told her that SeeD was originally her idea and...

Final Fantasy VIII got weird.

Anyway, the important bit here is that it's the place Squall and the cast of VIII operate out of. It used to be a shelter from an ancient civilization, but was rebuilt with help from Esthar to serve as SeeD's home. There is a flight mechanism which allows the building to lift off and escape from a rocket attack later in the game, after which it becomes the "Stage-1 Airship" (which is to say that it just kind of hovers over the ground slightly and can't quite go anywhere on the map.

There's actually a statue of the true FFVIII airship up on this pedestal. The Ragnarok replaces Balamb Garden as the party's airship later in the game (once Squall and Rinoa happen upon it while free-floating through space. Yes, that actually happens). It's a badass looking airship, but it's obtained in quite possibly the dumbest manner possible. Two people free-floating through space cross paths with an abandoned fully-functional and fully-fueled advanced spaceship/airship that is also free-floating through space. Then Squall and Rinoa have to clear out some kind of monster infestation by killing them in color-coded pairs (otherwise they respawn... somehow).

Anyway, if we take three steps forward a scene will trigger.

Everyone's on deck, except the injured. This way.

Oh, yeah! Do you know how Hauyn is doing?

She's sound asleep, down in the infirmary. I talked to Dr. Kadowaki. Her diagnosis is that Hauyn is suffering from severe exhaustion.

Dr. Kadowaki is a reference to the doctor of the same name in FFVIII. She's seen at the beginning of the game telling Squall not to be such a dumb rear end after she had to treat the massive face wound he got while training against Seifer.

That's... too bad...

What about Yuna, and the summoners?

And Terra (who is not a summoner)?

Same thing. They were forced to use their powers against their will. It took a lot out of them.

Same goes for Tidus. He won't wake up.

Tidus... Is he okay?

In fact, Tidus might be the only reason we were able to get to the summoners in time. You know that winged knight?

Define "in time". Not going to say you guys didn't stop a bad situation from getting worse, but you also showed up well after all of the Cogna had escaped.

I found Tidus fighting her. He told me about the summoners, so we went to go save them.

Right. And once me and Squall got word--

You all showed up to bail us out, huh? It's a really good thing you did.

Now you can help us fill in the blanks. Bahamut-- did you figure out who they really are?

And those weird Mirages he called "Cogna"?

What did you two kids do back there?

Oh! Uh, it's funny you should ask...

We don't know what happened either. But what little we do know, we'll tell you.

*A brief "We screwed up" explanation later*

Excuse the interruption. I have new intel from our liaisons across Grymoire.

Oh!

Shelke.

What's the story?

You should have a look at this.

Well, those new Mirages called Cogna have been taking over wherever they show up. For the most part, at least.

For the most part? What do you mean?

Our reports say that towns belonging to the Federation were assimilated right away. But the places that have been resisting Federation rule have managed to keep the Cogna out so far.

So in other words, nobody we care about got hurt or exploded.

However, other threats have arisen.

What?

There have also been multiple sightings of the Dyad's Servants.

Sorry, who are the "Dyad's Servants"?

A century ago, the Demon Dyad plunged Grymoire into an era of chaos. The Dyad's Servants were Mirages that carried out most of the Dyad's dirty work. Right?

So you're saying the Servants are back after a hundred years?

Oooohhhh....

That appears to be the case. The Cogna have given them a chance to begin their reign of terror all over again.

One came out of the crater where we fought the bomb. Another flew out from underneath Figaro Castle.

Huh? Wh-what exactly are you getting at? Are you saying we caused that too?

We might have set them loose by accident.

Dude, no...

Yeah, so remember those weird shots of crazy monsters appearing in places where we got the keys from? Turns out they are ancient demons that went on a warpath a hundred years ago. Now Reynn and Lann have inadvertently released them from whatever cells they were locked up in.

That means we've got Leviathan (sealed in Valley Seven), Bahamut (sealed under Figaro), Odin (sealed in the Train Graveyard), and Diablos (sealed in the Underwater Temple. You may have recognized his hand when it reached out of the ground) roaming around the world somewhere.

Could we maybe get some good news, please?

I'll say this. We need to take action now. The League will get to work with our agents on the ground.

At any rate, it might be a while before Hauyn wakes up. Why don't you guys get some rest.

If she's really your sister, make sure you talk things out.

So Squall, Cloud, and Lightning basically just told Lann and Reynn to stay put and not gently caress anything else up beyond repair. There's a side-quest to pick up nearby before we talk to Quistis. The lady just wants some eye-drops, which shouldn't be any problem.

Sorry, guys. I need to get back to the control room and handle this mess. Look, I realize that you two are probably trustworthy. But the League does have its rules. Until you get clearance, restricted areas like the infirmary are off-limits. If you want to explore, keep it to here and the lobby. Okay? Catch up later.

*And Quistis takes her leave*

So basically, she doesn't trust us at all.

Well, you can't blame her.

Okay, so, what do we do now?

Hmm... I'm worried about all our friends. We really do need to talk to Tama.

We now have an objective... sort of. At least it's something, I suppose. Better than standing around in Balamb Garden while all the interesting places are locked off.

Plus, we do kind of need to check on Tama. She was definitely not okay with what happened back there at the Ultima Gate.

Before going through the gate, make sure to grab the sidequest just to the left of it. The lady wants some bomb fragments and she'll cough up a fire spellstone in return.

There's also a chest to the right of the door. It has the second Herald Report.

How could you possibly tell that? They all wear armor and masks.

Lastly, the final cat with a personal posting is hanging out way back on the left side.

If you haven't been able to piece it together, the personal postings are referencing Y'shtola from FFXIV.

Y'shtola is a Conjurer that meets the Warrior of Light shortly into XIV if they start in Limsa Lominsa.

And that's pretty much all I can say about her due to the XIV spoiler policy.

She's one of the new Champions for the Maxima add-on. FFXIV originally had no representative in WoFF.

Of course, because Maxima kind of cheaped out on these additions, Y'shtola only appears in Jewel form. She gives HP++ and has the Ethereal Pulse ability, which grants shell and protect.

Y'shtola is voiced by Robyn Addison in English and Ai Kayano in Japanese. According to her "Who's Who" entry, she's part of the same resistance movement that Firion is. That just further raises the question of why there wasn't a full quest line for this add-on, because it sounds like there was going to be.

Oh well. Back in Nine Woods, we can see one of the few times in the game (possibly the only time) when Anamika isn't in the Tea Room. Gotta take a bathroom break at some point I guess, especially when drinking that much tea.

Going to Plaza 99 is how we trigger the next story scene.

Update 27 Highlights - Tama and Serafie explain how everything is even worse than we thought somehow
Oh! I'm glad you're here. Serafie, could you go get Tama for us?

You want Tama? Funny you ask. She's been floating around like a terrified marshmallow ever since she got back. Let the pretty pixie handle this. Heeey. Taaamaaa.

Rrrgh! How dare you ignore me, you puny fluff-butt!

Ah-- Aaah!

Oooogh... Serafie, one the-day, I will destroy you...

Tama, can we talk?

We just really, really need to know what happened.

Ah! Thanks for the-reminding me! This is no time to go the-gaga! Those Cogna the knights summoned are seriously bad the-news!

Yes the-way, and we have to the-stop them!

Uh, time out. Before we go any further-- Tama, what's a Cogna?

They're horrible bad things completely beyond the-description!

Well, uh, maybe you should try anyway?

The Cogna are living machines that thrive on destruction. They have laid more worlds to waste than there are stars in the sky. And that's not a poetic exaggeration.

Eh, I still highly doubt they've destroyed that many. Have you looked up and seen how many stars are in the sky?

What? But that's nuts!

They're almost the-like a disease. It's not that they're all strong-- it's that they never the-stop growing in number.

Oh, wonderful. So they can self-replicate or reproduce somehow. The bad news keeps rolling in.

Then what about the knights? Are they, like, Cogna masters or something?

Something the-else: they call themselves the Exnine Knights. They're a horrible order who the-wander from the-world to world and leave chaos in their wake! Which the-leads to the question, "Why?" I suppose.

Some people just want to watch the world burn, Tama.

But, if they were the Order of the Circle, then I think I know the-why.

Whoa... Did you say the Order of the Circle?

I'm afraid the-so.

Bad news?

Me and the-Serafie have a history with them that goes back more years than I know how to the-count. They're our arch-arch-arch-arch nemeses, to put it the-lightly!

Bummer. So that's who was pulling the strings. But, that means they won't rest until--

Until the-every last world is destroyed. They're filled to the gills with ill the-will!

I'm still not sure I get it... But basically, you're saying Grymoire's in hot water. Is that the idea?

We passed the point of "hot water" when Omega Weapon appeared and started fantasy nuking towns.

The water's so hot it's almost the-steaming! And if you think it will end with just the-Grymoire, then you've got another thing the-coming!

Is Nine Wood Hills in danger too?

That wouldn't even be the tip of the iceberg. Ohhh no.

We're not talking just one or two the-worlds. You see, we're the-part of a whole googolplex of worlds.

A goggleplex?! What is that, like a thousand? Dude!

Actually, a googolplex is ten, to the tenth, to the hundredth power.

Yeah, I'm gonna call horseshit on that. A googoplex is an absolutely ridiculous number. It's larger than the number of elementary particles in the universe.. If there were a googoplex of worlds, then there would either be: A googolplex of universes, or the universe would have to be large enough to accommodate a googolplex of worlds.

A million worlds?!

We can work on your math skills some other time.

I guess in multi-verse theory it would be possible, but then how would Tama even verify it?

I need to get one thing straight. The reason those things got into Grymoire... It's our fault. Isn't it?

Huh?

Oh, right. We were discussing how terribly hosed everything is.

Umm... The-maybe... I think... yes.

So, basically... we've put Grymoire, and other worlds, in terrible danger.

No... No. That can't be true.

It is. We messed up. Those guys in the armor-- they used us. They invented a false prophecy and tricked us into opening the Ultima Gate. Mom was just the bait.

Would you cut it out? No way, dude. Hey, hang on! Enna Kros is the one who said to collect Mirages to find out family! If she hadn't led us on, then...

Kind of deflecting the blame a bit there, Lann. Although you do raise a very good point. She's the one that kickstarted this little adventure and then just pissed off somewhere.

Maybe... she's one of them.

No way! Abso-the-posi-the-lutely no way!

Heh? Oh, well, yeah. After all, Enna Kros would never ever lie.

All right then. I guess I'll let it go.

Oh, okay. I guess that just settles that then. No need to suspect Enna Kros at all despite the part she played in all of this and the fact that she's been suspiciously absent ever since. Serafie said she wouldn't lie. That's all the reassurance we need.

So like, why'd they pick us? How come we were even able to do something like that?

I was the-hoping you would know! Um, if you're going to ask the-someone, you should ask your big sister.

You might be right. Let's return to Balamb Garden and go talk to Hauyn.

Lann?

Huh? Oh! Yeah, I guess she might be awake.

Alright then, back to Balamb Garden to wait for Hauyn to wake up.

Update 27 Highlights - Seriously, what the hell did these two do?

Who's apparently standing on the deck now? Um... how? We were told that time moves differently while in Nine Wood Hills. We only spent like 5-10 minutes talking with Tama and Serafie, which would amount to what in Grymoire? A few seconds? A minute at best? Was Hauyn hiding in a bush waiting for us to leave and then booked it to the deck when we were heading for the gate?

Ugh, whatever. Hauyn is voiced by Eden Riegel in English and Maaya Uchida in Japanese.

If you read my Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars LP, Eden Riegel voiced Ellie Troit in that game. She also did the English voice for Chuami in the god-awful audio drama, Final Fantasy X -Will-.

Hey there, Hauyn.

Tell me one thing. Your past-- do you remember any of it?

No... Not really.

'Fraid not.

Right. Of course. If you did remember, there's no way you would be talking to me.

But, I do remember you're my sister, Wyn.

She does. But I don't.

:raise:

Do to you? But Wyn, those knights were holding you prisoner.

Stop.

Huh?

I don't know you anymore, so don't call me that.

But Wyn--

Enough.

Oh... kay.

Well, who then?

You ought to know. And why should I bother to help you figure out the obvious. You have to remember. For Lady Lusse.

Our mom? Is she here? Is she still alive?

Rorrik? Our dad?! Then Mom and Dad are both okay? Where are they?

This is the first we've heard of the twins' dad. Good to know they have one, that's better than most JRPG protagonists.

But you know that, too. Where they are. What they're doing.

We do? Are you sure?

It's starting to sound like we haven't quite scraped the bottom of the "Reynn and Lann hosed up majorly" barrel.

Hauyn... are you one of the bad guys?

Me? One of them? You must be joking!

But, you went around in a mask tricking us!

Enough. Say no more. I just don't want to hear it.

If you didn't quite catch on to what was happening, Masked Woman was an illusion created by Ywain (the Carbuncle we saw tagging along with Masked Woman all the time). Ywain copied Hauyn's appearance to give the twins one last push towards opening the gate. The twins should have picked up on this when they saw the very same Carbuncle dispel the illusion around the Ultima Gate, but I'm willing to give them a pass considering all the poo poo that went down immediately after that moment.

Siren!

Hey! You can't do that! Hauyn is an L-size and so is Siren! You can't stack them! :argh:

You bring nothing to this world but pain and chaos! Leave now! Go back home, and never wake from your sleep again! Your mother and father... I'll save them.

drat, that was harsh. The gently caress did you two do to her?

Gosh-bomb it... What the honk is her problem? She didn't tell us anything!

No... but you heard what she said about Mom and Dad. They need to be saved.

Huh? Oh, yeah. I guess she did. Okay, but what do they need saving from?

I don't know.

*And then the twins had to explain that Hauyn took off to go almost certainly get her rear end kicked by the Order of the Circle*

That explains what happened. But then, what are you two going to do now?

I'm not sure.

I know this may sound a little selfish, but... If you don't mind, maybe you could help us fight off the Cogna that've appeared across Grymoire. We need more manpower. As much as we can get.

Sure.

Huh?

Whether we were tricked or not, we're still the ones who brought them here. We have to fix this. As long as we have the power to do it.

Yeah, you're right. Besides...

.....?

Helping the League out with operations means gathering Mirages and getting stronger.

then we ought to keep going. Let's collect Mirages, and find our family.

Yeah.

:woop: Airship!

The skies are yours! Go on out there and help wherever you can!

After this we get a notification that Yuna and Terra's Champion stuff has opened up. This is the last of the Champion Medals. There are some more Champion Jewels available, but this is it for the Medals/Character Summons. We'll have a look at them to wrap up the update, but there's a little more dialogue first.

Like Mirages, some the-Cogna are strong, and some not so the-much. Then again, the tough ones are really, the-really the-tough. In fact, some of the Cogna have such powerful defenses that regular attacks the-won't even leave a scratch on them.

We're all gonna have to learn to help each other out.

Right. Good point!

And that's the end of the chapter. Before we stop, let's see the last of the Champion Summons.

Champion Summon: Terra
Final Fantasy VI Music: The Decisive Battle

First is Terra.

I'm a little disappointed that Terra's summon has nothing to do with her Esper powers. I realise the Magitek Armor and snowy landscape is iconic, but come on.

Her Champion Jewel abilities are Riot Blade and SOS Magic Boost (boosts magic in a pinch).

Riot Blade is Terra's Desperation attack in VI.

Champion Summon: Yuna
Final Fantasy X Music: The Sending

Next is Yuna.

Yuna's Champion Summon is a healing type. It's basically a Mega Phoenix, so it will revive all KO'ed allies with full HP. It doesn't restore HP to anyone still standing though, so there's not much reason to use it. You would be better off just using a Mega Phoenix and saving the summon.

Yuna's Champion Jewel abilities are Cheer and Enhanced Cure (increases healing ability effectiveness).

Cheer bestows Strength and Defense Up.

And here's a bonus Medal that cannot be obtained anymore because Square and/or Disney are bastards.

Champion Summon: Sora

Sora was briefly a DLC Champion given out for free to commemorate the release of Kingdom Hearts 2.8. However, the DLC was a limited-time only deal. He was released on January 25th in 2017 and was only available until March 31st of that same year. After this period passed, he was removed from the PSN Store completely and hasn't been made available at any point after that.

He was voiced by Miyu Irino in the Japanese sequence, but the English version of the summon removed the voice work and just had him be silent.

And that's it! No more summon sequences (that I'm aware of). I'm almost positive that the Maxima DLC didn't add any new ones (only Jewels).

In the next update, we finally get access to the airship and can start tooling around the map without a care in the world. Also, we might spare a second to help out the Final Fantasy people with the whole Cogna problem... if there's time.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 26, 2019

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

We Planet Robobot now, boys

...Also jesus that's kind of incredible the two have messed up this much. That said, I also feel like Hauyn was way too hard on them for that. Maybe if she was more upfront with "you two are too gullible" bit, it wouldn't be as grating, but as is...

LiefKatano fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 1, 2019

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

...Also jesus that's kind of incredible the two have messed up this much. That said, I also feel like Hauyn was way too hard on them for that. Maybe if she was more upfront with "you two are too gullible" bit, it wouldn't be as grating, but as is...

yeah, Hauyn could have potentially solved a lot of problems and answered a lot of questions but she just fucks off despite apparently realising that the twins have no memories of what happened before.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LiefKatano posted:

I don't think there's a way of being "too hard" on a couple of people that apparently doomed the entire world twice. Hell, not the entire world, entire, countless worlds if we're to believe Tama and Serafie. Not to mention, her words make me heavily suspect that they're responsible for sealing her in the first place, so she has a reason to have a personal vendetta against them as well.

She's absolutely right they should go home and never attempt anything ever again, considering how incredibly good they are at massively loving up. All the power and goodwill in the world are worthless if you end up using them this wrongly.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's a few more hints Hauyn could have dropped but she dropped enough to keep things ambiguous.

morallyobjected posted:

yeah, Hauyn could have potentially solved a lot of problems and answered a lot of questions but she just fucks off despite apparently realising that the twins have no memories of what happened before.

Hauyn being really bitter at them answers that reasonably. It's a believable character flaw that she's angry enough at them to prefer them being in the dark.

Naturally that's probably going to bite her in the butt later :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's a few more hints Hauyn could have dropped but she dropped enough to keep things ambiguous.

Hauyn being really bitter at them answers that reasonably. It's a believable character flaw that she's angry enough at them to prefer them being in the dark.

Naturally that's probably going to bite her in the butt later :v:
When the twins gently caress up something else through ignorance that she could've prevented by sparing just one line of dialogue.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

When the twins gently caress up something else through ignorance that she could've prevented by sparing just one line of dialogue.

yeah, it's not unbelievable or anything--it's just that not telling people how they screwed up last time is an excellent way to get them to screw up again just as hard later

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well, there’s a way for them to start working towards redeeming themselves for doing something this terrible. It just involves a bit of almost-perfect immortality, a talking floating skull, and... Not caring too much about their looks. And sanity.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Hauyn has every reason to be pissed at those two. They basically invited the Borg/Cybermen/whatever-you-wanna-call-them into a world that has no way to fight them off, and apparently serves as a dimensional nexus allowing them to invade countless other dimensions/realities/timelines/worlds/what-have-you. While unleashing a bunch of other unrelated giant monsters on the populace in the process.

But is still doesn't look good to scream at a couple of amnesiacs for mistakes made through a lack of information.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Then you're blaming the wrong loving people. They are dense, and being led. They know nothing of what has gone before, and no one bothered to actually tell them, Hauyn, especially not YOU. It's one thing to go 'Oh, they should have known better' and hell, at least Reynn was questioning it. But there's only one loving path, and no one was offering ANYTHING else. There's no right to yell at someone when they're following a rail and can't get off.

Ignorance might itself be a crime, but then the role is to educate.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hauyn also can't really be blamed for anything that came before now either, considering she was apparently trapped here, and someone else was using an illusion to borrow her appearance to mislead the twins.

Refusing to give information she has means that she is in part responsible for anything the twins gently caress up from now on that that information could have prevented, though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, she probably doesn’t want to find out how the twins could conceivably gently caress up even more than they already have at this point, and doesn’t want to give them any ideas.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Update 28 Highlights - World of Final Fantasy

Chaos is putting it lightly.

Right, but where are they? Rrrgh, we need more intel!

Oh! For that the-kind of stuff, you should definitely consult with Serafie. Hang on while I go and the-get her!

Excuse me? Why should we ask her?

*Tama poofs away to go and fetch Serafie*

Rumor Radar?

Oh, that's my secret power, hon. It lets me instantly snap up every bit of gossip within my threshold. In a teensy world like this, that basically only amounts to everything.

You can do that?! Why are we only hearing about this now?!

Whoa, now that's cool.

Huh? Is it cool?

Well, I'm no expert, but I'd say it is!

Wooo-hooo. I thought I'd never be one of those cool pixies.

Well, you'd be the-cooler if you picked up facts instead of rumors.

Thanks for that reminder.

Uh, well... So do you mind trying it?

Yeah, sure. I guess I'll start us out by narrowing down the search to those Cogna we're after. Sound good?

Son of a... ugh... Okay, so using Serafie's (until now, unheard of) power, we can look into a few areas of interest to see what's happening on the ground. I don't know why it breaks it up like this and makes you select each one individually, since you can't back out of this screen until you've read everything.

Whatever. Let's have a look and see what kind of carnage is going on down below.

Update 28 Highlights - A small taste of Serafie being annoying
Here's the latest.

Oh, and due to the fact you have to select each of them individually, you'll hear Serafie repeat this line every time.

Anyway, Rumor Radar. Apparently there is some kind of four-legged machine heading for Cornelia. Warrior of Light and Lightning seem to be strategizing ways to stop it.

There you have it.

Some kind of creepy machine is attacking Nibelheim, although we have no indication what kind of creepy machine it is.

Also, apparently Cloud and Tifa do interact in this game (for a few seconds anyway). Huh. Guess I remembered incorrectly.

Figaro seems to be getting swamped by multiple weaker monsters as opposed to one big dude. They also seem to be going at it alone, since none of the League of S are mentioned.

The Phantom Train has reappeared in Tometown and is... creeping out the citizens? Doesn't sound like it's doing any damage, just spooking people.

Still, we missed out on Suplexing it because of Reynn spacing out. We must get revenge.

Finally, there's some kind of flying machine down in Besaid that's doing eagle dives on people. That actually seems fairly mundane compared to what we're hearing from other locations.

Tiiime... I command you to stop! Okay, can we just build a time machine or something?

Give them a second. They'll get it soon enough.

Inside Nine Wood Hills, you do realize that time is essentially stopped?

Oh! Wait. That girl behind the door in Nine Wood Hills-- couldn't she help us reach everyone?

There it is.

You're right! Inside her room, we can skip around to any point in time that we want!

We're automatically dumped outside Anamika's room once the scene ends. We're also informed that the airship is available for use.

To board the airship, all you the-have to do is press the command shown on the World Map.

About time. Forget this helping people nonsense, let's cruise the skies!

Update 28 Highlights - Quick Airship Example
Final Fantasy Music: Airship Themes

I know, it's exciting. But don't forget that if we want to help everyone, we have to use that door in Nine Wood Hills.

Don't worry about it, Sis. We know the clock's ticking.

Unfortunately for everyone currently in trouble, Reynn said "if we want to help". That gives us an out that I have every intention of using.

When you are on the destination selection part of the travel option, you can press X/Square/whatever the left face button is to pilot the airship. The screen doesn't move, so it can sometimes be kind of tricky to navigate with it.

By the way, if you go back to the interior of the airship, there is a Jiant accessible chest with a mega phoenix in it.

Unfortunately for us, the airship is kind of a disappointment. There are no secret locations that you can land in (except in a Maxima specific quest) and the only things to discover are some Level 60 Murkrifts scattered around the map. They are composed of about 6 normal enemies in pairs of 2 (Fritt, Zapt, and Bablizz pairs will be accompanying the different groups). They give good EXP (a little over 100k each), but they aren't repeatable so their main purpose is to get the "Clear all Murkrifts" trophy/achievement.

Other than that, you can just tool around and admire the whole map of Grymoire, which is currently dark and dreary due to the fantasy nuking that Ultima Weapon pulled.

Some things of note happened while I was clearing out the Murkrifts, though. So I guess the airship wasn't a complete loss.

Piplup gives us our first look at a Mastered Board. When you manage to activate every space on a Mirage's board, you get to choose a Mastery bonus. These are fairly significant boosts or attacks. It's a nice reward for sticking with certain Mirages for a long time. I'll need to make use of this starting soon, because we're nearing the endgame and I need to focus on a specific set of Mirages from the ones we've nicknamed in order to make sure they're ready.

Dualizard unlocks the middle evolution between it and Tiamat.

And here's Tiamat herself, that we couldn't catch back in Crystal Tower.

OMG! JC! can become a King Bomb.

Or a Bombino.

We can get Kraken if we wanted, which has a description that does the lore work for me.

Brothertaur can become a Minotaur. I also rename Brothertaur and Sistertaur to Lannataur and Reynnataur.

Minotaurs are a fairly common enemy in the series. They even get to appear as a summon in VIII.

Anyway, now is a good time to stop by Chocolatte and grab more of those Eldboxes. The Cogna are a machine race, which means we're going to need a decent supply of these if we want to imprism any of them.

With that done and the airship having been a let down, I guess we can go ahead and help save some people from being exploded or assimilated or soul harvested. I'm a little unclear on what the Cogna are supposed to be doing at the moment besides causing chaos.

Going to Anamika and selecting "Intervene" like we do for the Intervention Quests will give us a list of five special quests called "The Five Cogna Lords". Two of these are only starting points though, so the actual number of story quests we need to do is a bit higher than that.

We're going to tackle these in reverse order, starting at Besaid and working our way back to where our journey began. Part of this is so we can get Shantotto's appearance out of the way as quickly as possible.

There are a few other Intervention quests open now as well (it's been kind of dry the past couple of chapters), but we'll look at those in the next Lil' Update.

Update 28 Highlights - PK still hates Shantotto

Ugh, I thought I was done with you.

I agree that that thing's buzz is super annoying, but it's also really dangerous.

Right. We've been lucky, but some towns have suffered great damage, thanks to the explosives that Cogna drops from the air.

Explosives, you say? And how are they made?

A new kind of magic, eh? You don't say... You there, the jock with the gills of a flounder.

Huh? Wha? You mean me?

See another jock here?

Oh, c'mon, doc. You could call me by my--

Think I care about your name? Surely you jest. Now get out there and capture that annoying pest.

Huh?

Oh, use that thing from the game you play... The silly water ballet.

You mean blitzball!

I'll be waiting over in my laboratory. Now-- chop-chop, my dear!

Uh... yes ma'am!

That'd be awesome. Thank you.

Update 28 Highlights - Stupid Mini Game #1

Remember way back when I was in the Twins' Room and talking about the little game system that acts as the Gallery? There was a section called Mini Games that was all blank at the time. Well, now we start unlocking those mini games.

The minigames will not be fun...

This is one of the better ones, although it still has some frustrating aspects. This is the quest version, so all you need to do is hit that single Cogna one time, which can be accomplished by just waiting for it to get right on top of you and belting it.

In the actual mini game where you are trying to rack up points, multiple Cogna will be approaching you and you get more points the farther away you can hit them. However, the shots are subject to gravity and will therefore drop off the farther they have to travel. The power bar also moves up and down way too fast and you commit to the shot when you choose the power.

So basically, the mini game involves watching moving targets while also watching trajectory and power in order to judge the perfect moment to launch a shot while keeping in mind that your shots will arc. And the game ends if you miss three times. Fun stuff. If you're curious, all you get for getting a high score in the actual mini game is a trophy/achievement.

Thankfully I am not someone who gives a drat about trophies/achievements, so this mini game has seen its only moment in the sun.

Of course, we still have to fight the thing after knocking it out of the sky.

Update 28 Highlights - I miss Einhänder
I'll go look for a giant bottle of bug the-spray!

Somehow, I don't think bug spray is gonna be much help this time...

It's actually fairly tough. The difficulty starts to spike with this chapter.

It also has a super cool special attack. Outside of that, there isn't much to this fight. It's weak to electricity and it alternates between that Blades attack and standard physical hits.

It can deal solid damage, but as long as you stay healed you should be fine. It isn't especially fast, so you won't have trouble keeping up with it. Its main strength is the 18k HP.

That might've gotten nasty on my own. I owe you, Valefor.

Oh, uh, you too, Lann and Reynn! Huh? Wait. Why did I thank two people who aren't even here? I'm weird.

No arguments there.

Ahhh ha ha ha ha!

You suck sooooo much. You'll get yours one day, Shantotto...

We get a memento as a reward, although we need to track down which Mirage can transfig into one of them. However, there is a DLC variant we can get right now (or you could have just caught it at the start of the game if you felt like it).

You need to reduce its HP to catch it, but it's only level 14, so if you do this later in the game you'll probably need a Mirage with the Subdue ability.

Einhänder and Astraea are references to the video game Einhänder that was released by Square in 1997. It was a side-scrolling shooter with 3D graphics. It was a pretty good game and well received, but Square sort of chucked it into the closet and hasn't gone looking for it since. This is one of the few references you'll ever see to it even existing. Astraea is one of the fighter models that can be unlocked in the game, although you had to beat Hard mode using only 3 continues.

Astraea also has an Agility++ Mirajewel on its Mirage Board, which I want. Its going in the lineup for a bit so I can get it.

Update 28 Highlights - Research

Moving on. We're checking in with Tometown to see how the Phantom Train situation is unfolding.

Hmm, still no luck, I fear. It gives new meaning to "random," I can tell you that much.

Ugh... Well, if you can't track it, we'll have to give up for now. A train that traverses the real and unreal... Just our luck. And it only shows itself when it's ready to attack. Not an honorable Mirage, is it?

That's what, Reynn?

We already know someone who runs a Mirage train!

Ummm... Oh, cactus guy!

Update 28 Highlights - Reynn Sucks

Hah! You certainly are fired up today now, aren't you? My little Jiant girl!

Um, Reynn? I know you're excited about this, but can I cut in?

Sure. Be my guest.

Conductor, if my sister beats you, how 'bout you promise to give us the blueprints to your train. Deal?

Oh, we're on. But that's a big "if" you're talking about!

Here I come!

Ha! Bring it!

Well, I knew it was going to come to this sooner or later. Of course Reynn is going to get her "revenge", don't even pretend like the writers weren't going to do that scene at some point for "laughs".

We'll see that Reynn's predictable victory will be completely unearned, though. Why do I say this?

Update 28 Highlights - Stupid Mini Game #2 (Failure attempt and Success Attempt)

Because this mini game is pure loving luck. Cactuar Conductor poofs into one of four spots only for a split-second, too fast for most people to see and react to before he disappears.

The good news is that you can just skip this mini game, similar to skipping a cutscene. The story will just continue as normal. If you actually want to beat this mini game, then pretty much your only recourse is to pick a direction and just spam attacks while hoping that you just luck out and he teleports into the space just as you swing.

For an example of how bullshit this is, here I am hitting the attack button about 0.40 seconds after CC's smoke cloud appears.

And he dodges it. I'm honestly not even sure if choosing punch instead of a kick actually changes anything. It's not as though he appears high or low. There's no pattern to his movements. You just have to pray or possess precognition.

It takes me 4 retries in order to finally hit him.

No one's ever beat me...

Don't worry CC, Reynn didn't actually beat you in the sense she used skill or technique.

But of course she's going to celebrate as though what she just did wasn't pure luck and nothing more.

Uh, way to go, Rey--

And then she loving slaps Lann! What the gently caress, Reynn?!

Best, day, EVERRR!

I don't think I've ever seen her this happy before...

Need I remind you that CC beat Reynn four times in a row. Also, the two of you are fresh off of loving the world over. This is not the time for Reynn to be jumping around squealing in joy and being proud. She even has an un-subtitled line that's like "Thanks for the warm up! Ha ha!"

Just a reminder that Reynn sucks.

Oh yeah! That's why we came here.

"Ha ha ha! People are dying because of us!"

Uh... dude...

Hmm... A phantom train, you say? Pshah! I'll drag that "loco"-motive into the real world.

Can you really do that?

Please. I've been a Mirage conductor for fifty years! Hooking one lousy train is gonna be a piece of cactus. So to speak.

Meanwhile, Cactaur Conductor continues to prove why he is best boy.

Great! We'll tell the League of S and Celes.

So that's the end of this quest. We now have access to Part 2, so let's finish up with that.

Update 28 Highlights - Phantom Train

Yes. We should be right on time. But I don't get it. How did they figure out where the Phantom Train will appear?

Beats me. They work in strange ways...

They didn't do poo poo.

...!

Bingo. Right on schedule.

For some reason, Phantom Train doesn't actually fight us. It just drops off this Death Machine variant and pisses off somewhere.

Ohhh yeah, another ghost trai-- NMPH?!

I can't heeear you!

You could have just covered your ears! ...Hey, what's that weird machinery coming out of it?

That train must the-be related to the Cogna somehow!

It's just a Cogna?! Oh, that's no big deal.

What are you talking about?!

Yeah, it's a huge the-deal!

HEY! Stop picking on me... Where's my agent? I'm leaving!

What the-- Sis? Where are you going? Come back! Hello? PLEASE?

Gotcha.

Whoa, for a second there I thought you really bailed.

She was the-considering it.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Grymoire...

So, War Machine. Also kind of a tough fight, although the same strategy will work as in the last fight. Like Death Machine, it has an attack called Full Output which can hit the entire party for about 1k.

Its physical attack isn't quite as impressive, but it does have Retaliatory Missile as a counter, so be careful with your health when attacking it as it could strike back and then follow it up with an attack of its own before you can heal.

But once again, it's a 2 on 1 fight, so as long as you have someone handling healing then you'll be fine.

Yes. That's right.

Celes. You've got skill. Why don't you join SeeD?

So this sounds a little strange, since Squall is part of the League of S in this game. Wouldn't he be trying to get her to join that? Squall has a part in his Who's Who entry which sheds some light on how the League came to be.

~The League of S~

Cloud and Shelke work for Shinra, and Squall and Quistis work for SeeD. When these two powerful groups joined forces against the Bahamutian Federation, they became a powerful alliance known as the League of S--which, as you've figured out by now, comes from the first letter of their names.

~The League's Troubled History~

Shinra and SeeD--their alliance poses a formidable threat to the Bahamutian Federation.
However, their cause saw a major setback when a mysterious incident at Shinra's former HQ in Nibelheim resulted in the disappearance of its researchers and top brass. After the incident, SeeD stepped in and assumed command of Shinra's mercenary group, known as SOLDIER. That is why Cloud and Shelke now report to Quistis.

So SeeD and SOLDIER are organizations in this game that joined together to form the League of S. Presumably they will go their separate ways once the Bahamutians are dealt with, which is why Squall is trying to recruit Celes to SeeD instead of the League.

Sorry. I've no intention of joining a group like that again.

It doesn't have to be a permanent arrangement. Think it over. We could use someone as tough as you.

I'll give it some thought. Anyway, did you notice? We weren't the only forces at play during that battle.

Hm? ...You're right. I thought it went down more easily than expected.

As will I.

And that's where we'll call it quits for now. Figaro is up next and Nibelheim is a multi-parter. Figaro also has something... irritating about it.

Before we go, you may have noticed that the stacks have changed again. I've pulled out a selection of our nicknamed Mirages to fill the lineup as well as a few special choices picked for their Mirajewels. I need to start prepping for end game, which means I won't be rotating out the Mirages as much as I've been doing so far. I will still swap out some Mirages if the thread latches on to them and gives them nicknames, but certain ones will be sticking around to make sure they are in rear end kicking shape for end game.

Anyway, next time in the World of Final Fantasy SSLP:

FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 27, 2019

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

...is that Minesweeper

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Einhander reference doesn't surprise me thanks to Kingdom Hearts III also having references to it (a Gummi Ship and a boss).

The Punch-Out!! reference caught me way off-guard though. That is not something I expect in a Final Fantasy game of all places, even if it's something the localization added.

Also, no lore for War Machine? Are you waiting until you get one of your own for it?

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
Minesweeper is more fun than what is coming. So was Chocobo Hot and Cold for that matter.

That said, the Astraea Danmaku will take the field.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh no, it's that minigame, that loving minigame

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Einhander reference doesn't surprise me thanks to Kingdom Hearts III also having references to it (a Gummi Ship and a boss).

The Punch-Out!! reference caught me way off-guard though. That is not something I expect in a Final Fantasy game of all places, even if it's something the localization added.

Also, no lore for War Machine? Are you waiting until you get one of your own for it?

I legitimately missed the Punch-Out reference. I'm going to re-read and try to find it.

And yes, War Machine is next update. I usually do lore once I actually obtain the Mirage in question. I was going to make Biggs into one, but his Death Machine form ended up being better.

AweStriker posted:

...is that Minesweeper

Vauron posted:

Minesweeper is more fun than what is coming. So was Chocobo Hot and Cold for that matter.
That said, the Astraea Danmaku will take the field.

Leraika posted:

oh no, it's that minigame, that loving minigame

You can tell by the reaction that it will not be Minesweeper. Minesweeper is fun and can be thought out logically.

What we're going to witness is Minesweeper with the luck to skill ratio flipped. Also the mines move and shoot at you. Also both you and the computer can see what moves the other is making (in terms of number of spaces moved, the direction, and which unit it was. Not the unit itself).

It's something like a lovely cross between Battleship and Minesweeper. Also, I kind of can't skip this mini game because there is a Mirage and an extra story scene that require me to win under certain conditions. I didn't intend for this to be a completionist run, but I've shown off all content so far and captured every Mirage I can, so I might as well take this all the way. The scene is also kind of sweet and I'd be doing a disservice by not showing it.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 2, 2019

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
There is one Mirage that I've just been lurking in and hoping you get, but I don't know if it's open yet, or it doesn't open until later.

That said, considering the spoiler policy, would it be alright to talk about something that has potentially had its window open for a long time (but I'm not actually sure when it opens)?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Psycho Knight posted:

I legitimately missed the Punch-Out reference. I'm going to re-read and try to find it.

Spoilering this for if you want to test your knowledge instead of taking the easy way out: Minotaur description. It's talking about Bald Bull.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Spoilering this for if you want to test your knowledge instead of taking the easy way out: Minotaur description. It's talking about Bald Bull.

Dammit, that was really obvious. I must have not bothered reading the description, or I was too caught up in blanking on Crystal Tower. I am really screwing up a lot lately.

Magic Fanatic posted:

There is one Mirage that I've just been lurking in and hoping you get, but I don't know if it's open yet, or it doesn't open until later.

That said, considering the spoiler policy, would it be alright to talk about something that has potentially had its window open for a long time (but I'm not actually sure when it opens)?

Is it a Coliseum Mirage? Or is it the one from "A Bridge's Woes"? The former is probably because I only grab DLC variants after getting the original, the latter is because that quest is very spoiler filled.

Put the name of the Mirage in spoiler tags and I'll have a look to decide if it's spoiler or not. Just make sure it's not a Mirage that's heavily involved in the story. I don't recall missing any optional Mirages, so it might not be available yet. On the other hand, if it is a transfig then it might just be because I haven't trained the appropriate Mirage yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

Gutsy making a Punch-Out reference in a title going to a Sony platform (although I suppose Maxima is on Switch, too).

Psycho Knight posted:

Is that Minesweeper or a rudimentary Tactics minigame?