Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I've liked the new movies and unapologetically really liked Solo, but holy poo poo this is so much better than anything since the OT. I've been saying for years that Disney should unleash some of their Marvel talent on the franchise, and good lord I hope this is the beginning of a trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I feel the same way as the other person; so I'll take a stab at this "video game" plotting. Generally in a good story that is character driven each part should have a value change. As pointed out before the major value change in the episode was baby Yoda thing uses the force... That's not that big of a value change for Mando. That makes episode a bit thin to a lot of us.

Storytelling in different mediums will be different. In TV (sitcoms most notably) you generally reset values so you can come back the following week, in movies they tend to have a big value change during the goddess moment before the confrontation. Our character is no longer week and they will face the value that caused a contradiction of character in the first place.

In ye olde video games (especially old RPGs or MMORPGS), they tend to have our main protagonist not have a value change until deep into the narrative if it ever happens. How did my Ogre in Everquest change as I played other than becoming more powerful? He didn't. Many games trade skinner boxes for value change. Instead of our character's change pushing and pulling the plot they tend to be victims of circumstance. Not every video game is this way and not every tv show or movie follows what I wrote above, but when people are making sweeping generalizations about game plotting, I think that's more what they mean.

This doesn't really seem like the kind of typical story where the main character undergoes an arc over the course of the show that we get to witness. Given the nature of the Mandalorian, he's basically already an established character who, over the course of the show, we learn more about. The arc doesn't involve him changing, it involves our perception of him changing as we learn more about him and about the world he exists in and the story that's taking part in. That's a perfectly valid method of storytelling, and not particular to video games. The child being able to use the Force is a shift because it expands on the Mandalorian's mission and the stakes involved.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Captain Jesus posted:

He survives and is able to leave the planet only because other people help him for no reason.

The rancher helped him because he murderized the baby bandits.

I think the previous suggestion about being warned not to park where he did and ignoring it might have helped the episode from a story stand point, but i'm still really digging this series.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

MrFlibble posted:

The rancher helped him because he murderized the baby bandits.

I think the previous suggestion about being warned not to park where he did and ignoring it might have helped the episode from a story stand point, but i'm still really digging this series.

That's true, I was too hasty with that conclusion.

However, the more I think about the Jawa murder, the more hosed up it appears to me. Jawas were established to be nonthreatening creatures, not unlike ewoks. They indiscriminately scavenge technology, but that's all they do. Their weapons aren't even set to kill, but only to paralyze. The Mandalorian could have fired a warning shot and the rest of the chase could have played out the same way. The Jawa murder could be somewhat acceptable if the Mandalorian learned that they are people that do not deserve to be killed just for messing with your ride and that maybe they scavenge anything they find to survive in the hostile environment, but he learns nothing. He still has only contempt for them at the end. The disintegration is even kinda played out for comedy. It's an oddly insensitive choice to include such violence, especially in an episode that heavily features a cute alien baby.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Captain Jesus posted:

Jawas were established to be nonthreatening creatures, not unlike ewoks.

So weird that you would pick Ewoks.

Like...vicious predators that are perfectly happy to cook and eat other sentient humanoids and who ruthlessly murder countless armoured Imperial troops.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Also aren't the Jawas who pick up C3PO and R2D2 on Tattooine operating some kind of droid torture chamber with like, branding and vivisection and stuff? Or am I misremembering? Seemed like a bad time.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who gives a gently caress about Jawas - they showed they were perfectly willing to kill too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Weedle posted:

Also aren't the Jawas who pick up C3PO and R2D2 on Tattooine operating some kind of droid torture chamber with like, branding and vivisection and stuff? Or am I misremembering? Seemed like a bad time.

That was Jabba's palace.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

He went in hot because that's what he knows. Weapons are his religion.

If I were his space lawyer I'd probably argue that a reasonable being coming across a well maintained ship landed would know it had an occupant they'd be marooning by jacking it, that marooning him on Planet Dirt Sand V or whatever was a credible mortal threat and he was justified in using lethal force to try and prevent it.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I'm starting to think that my favorite part of this show is how they are both willing to make the Mandalorian seem like a badass, but also wreck his poo poo on a pretty regular basis. Even just that Trandoshan ambush, he knows it's coming ahead of time and puts his hand on his blaster, but doesn't even manage to get it out in time to pull off the classic Western quickdraw. It would be so much less interesting if he was treated as some untouchable cool guy.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Phylodox posted:

So weird that you would pick Ewoks.

Like...vicious predators that are perfectly happy to cook and eat other sentient humanoids and who ruthlessly murder countless armoured Imperial troops.

Ewoks, like Jawas, are cute comic relief creatures. They help the heroes defeat the evil empire. They want to cook the heroes first but the heroes are empathetic enough to understand they don't need to kill the little teddy bear people to get out of the sticky situation.

Weedle posted:

That was at Jabba's palace and wasn't perpetrated by Jawas.

Vintersorg posted:

Who gives a gently caress about Jawas - they showed they were perfectly willing to kill too.

When? The Mandalorian killed a bunch of them and they they were running away and defending themselves in a not directly lethal manner. In any case, it is a bad form for the protagonist to pointlessly kill the mischievous but harmless desert dwarfs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Generic American posted:

I'm starting to think that my favorite part of this show is how they are both willing to make the Mandalorian seem like a badass, but also wreck his poo poo on a pretty regular basis. Even just that Trandoshan ambush, he knows it's coming ahead of time and puts his hand on his blaster, but doesn't even manage to get it out in time to pull off the classic Western quickdraw. It would be so much less interesting if he was treated as some untouchable cool guy.

Absolute this. I wasn't sure before, but as of this ep I'm pretty sure his "I like those odds" line in ep 1 was entirely bluster and he knew it. Which honestly makes him cooler, just leading with his balls in a even with 4 blasters drawn down on him him dead to rights is that much more badass if he doesn't have the supreme assurance he can back it up with supernatural jason bourne moves.

Captain Jesus posted:

When? The Mandalorian killed a bunch of them and they they were running away and defending themselves in a not directly lethal manner. In any case, it is a bad form for the protagonist to pointlessly kill the mischievous but harmless desert dwarfs.

He's an antihero and they were hauling away his only means of getting off a desolate rock. I for one am glad he doesn't spring fully formed into the narrative a freakin' Galahad who waits for Greedo to miss his face before drawing down.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 15, 2019

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Captain Jesus posted:

The Mandalorian spends a day on a 50 shades of brown planet. Some ethnic types try to steal his car and he murders a bunch of them without warning, accomplishing nothing. Baby Yoda swallows a live frog. The Mandalorian goes to a cave that looks like a butthole to fight a monster that kicks his rear end. He survives and is able to leave the planet only because other people help him for no reason.

I was on board after the first episode but this one was weird.

You'd think they would've had less filler considering that episode lengths vary quite a bit.

edit: His wild swings between hyper-competence with those thugs in the first episode, carelessness with his stored weapons, and getting his rear end kicked is hilarious.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Captain Jesus posted:

However, the more I think about the Jawa murder, the more hosed up it appears to me. Jawas were established to be nonthreatening creatures, not unlike ewoks. They indiscriminately scavenge technology, but that's all they do. Their weapons aren't even set to kill, but only to paralyze. The Mandalorian could have fired a warning shot and the rest of the chase could have played out the same way. The Jawa murder could be somewhat acceptable if the Mandalorian learned that they are people that do not deserve to be killed just for messing with your ride and that maybe they scavenge anything they find to survive in the hostile environment, but he learns nothing. He still has only contempt for them at the end. The disintegration is even kinda played out for comedy. It's an oddly insensitive choice to include such violence, especially in an episode that heavily features a cute alien baby.

I thought this showed (to the viewer) that the Mandalorian is indeed an insensitive character whose violent approach to problem solving doesn't work well outside the confines of bounty hunting, and in fact bites him in the rear end. Whether the Mandalorian learns this and changes by the end of the series seems standard setup for a character arc.

Re: the cute alien baby, I figured this was much more of a Lone Wolf and Cub situation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

plester1 posted:

I thought this showed (to the viewer) that the Mandalorian is indeed an insensitive character whose violent approach to problem solving doesn't work well outside the confines of bounty hunting, and in fact bites him in the rear end. Whether the Mandalorian learns this and changes by the end of the series seems standard setup for a character arc.

Yeah it's this and I'd argue he begrudgingly started learning that lesson already. That sometimes to make an omlete you need a weird hairy egg.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I wasn't sure on episode 1, but hoo boy episode 2 kicked rear end

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I’m guessing herzog is going to make a play at becoming palpatine 2.0 by abusing baby Yoda until he becomes evil. Then using him as Vader 2.0 to conquer the galaxy and unite all imperial warlords.

I wouldn’t be surprised if snoke is name dropped at the end of the series.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe though tbh I'd prefer if the story were "smaller" and didn't tie in any major way to the big trilogies mostly doing its own thing.

Herzog being fine with him blasting the baby and bringing him the gore photo suggests he's not exactly desperate to make midichlorian adrenochrome broth.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Phylodox posted:

That was Jabba's palace.

Captain Jesus posted:

That was at Jabba's palace and wasn't perpetrated by Jawas.

My bad. All I remembered was 3PO looking around like "what the gently caress."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Also him straight up annihilating them down to a shred of tatty cloak with that rifle was cool as heck.

Yeah I'm definitely of the same mind there. This guy's a bounty hunter, safe to assume he's killed some of those bounties. We just saw him murder a dozen or more people to go get his bounty. No way is that character going to see Jawas dismantling his ship and just stroll down there for a peaceful settlement.

I also thought this added a lot of character to the Jawa culture. I already knew they were weird little space dwarves, but them valuing trade to the point that they don't really take offense at some of their tribe being straight up dusted, and are willing to do business with the Mandalorian, is an interesting wrinkle to me.

Fun to see what baby yoda can do, though it's certainly no surprise. You don't toss a huge pile of Beskar at that bounty unless it's packing that particular superpower.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Captain Jesus posted:

Ewoks, like Jawas, are cute comic relief creatures. They help the heroes defeat the evil empire. They want to cook the heroes first but the heroes are empathetic enough to understand they don't need to kill the little teddy bear people to get out of the sticky situation.

You're only paying attention to their appearance. They're obviously and demonstrably vicious apex predators who overpower the heroes with the barest effort. At no point do the heroes have the opportunity to "kill the little teddy bear people". It's only the Ewoks' superstitious reverence for Threepio that saves them.

Along the same lines, Jawas are shown to have no compunctions about kidnapping droids, who are shown to be thinking, feeling sentient beings, to sell into slavery. If they were towering, snarling lizard people, how sympathetic would you be feeling towards them?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NowonSA posted:

I also thought this added a lot of character to the Jawa culture. I already knew they were weird little space dwarves, but them valuing trade to the point that they don't really take offense at some of their tribe being straight up dusted, and are willing to do business with the Mandalorian, is an interesting wrinkle to me.

They were even willing to work with him after he tried to flamethrower one of them in the face. :lol:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Tribe values Salvage over the life of any individual, but more than Salvage it values E G G.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They were even willing to work with him after he tried to flamethrower one of them in the face. :lol:

Yeah they just take that in stride and are just like whoa man, settle down. I think that may have been a nice negotiation tactic on his part there, unwittingly, like okay this guy's nuts, lets just get a sweet egg out of him and call it a day.

I hope in the next season he gets a bounty from some clearly good guys who are willing to pay him the proverbial pile of Beskar to go after some super evil crime lord or imperial, and he gets a big payday while helping them out. I'd also get a really big kick out of it if he somehow set someone else up as having done the bounty, so the criminals/imperials go after this other person for revenge instead of him.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

The Tribe values Salvage over the life of any individual, but more than Salvage it values E G G.

Tooooooooga!

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm sorry but episode 2 was amazing.

I don't see this bringing much more to the table than entertaining episodic content due to what we've seen before, how many episodes are remaining and past run times but I'm completely fine with it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been lukewarm (:v:) on basically every Star Wars property since 1999, but I'm digging this a lot more than I expected. I like how low-key/low stakes it is; I'm sure the intensity will ramp up as the season goes on, but I hope baby Yoda doesn't hold the fate of the universe in his hands or whatever.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I also really like how they're keeping it pretty ambiguous whether he shot IG-11 and saved the kid out of principle (I feel like this is the real reason that the show will go with, but he might not even realize it himself yet), or that the alternative was just such a bad deal that it wasn't even a choice as far as he was concerned, since he would've only gotten half of the beskar as payment and then still needed to split it with the droid as part of their truce.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Captain Jesus posted:

He's a ruthless bounty hunter who just survived multiple gun fights including getting shot at by a cannon and comes back to see his ship getting dismantled by armed thieves. I kinda understand why he got prissy and lost his temper there.

And I don't mind Pascal's face being hidden so far, he does some great subtle body acting and I like his voice. It's more fun than some generic deep growl. He's calm and cool as needed and just the right twinge of panic when getting his rear end kicked.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 16, 2019

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah Pascal's been doing a really good job so far.

Prediction time!

-We'll see multiple IG bounty droids in the season, and there's gonna be some fun comedy beats here and there with that premise. Hopefully the Mandalorian tricks one into self destructing in a situation where that benefits him.

-Since the Empire's broken up into multiple factions at this point, Herzog's fronting for the "lets study or corrupt baby yoda' group while another faction wants to just kill it, hence the IG droid and the people who ambushed the Mandalorian wanted to kill the bounty.

-We'll see the Mandalorian get his signet near the end of the season, and instead of it being badass it'll be something nice and wholesome. Maybe that little crib carrier that the baby yoda's in.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
From the overall homage to Lone Wolf and Cub to the direct reference to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade this really feels like an old fashioned adventure serial and I love it. It's not like the sequels which try to throw too much onto the screen with diminishing returns.

Those people who are complaining that there's not enough plot or that it's like an MMO questline are silly. Lots happened in thirty minutes. If you're arguing that nothing of consequence happened, I'd say that, for example, the attempted scaling of the sandcrawler was more consequential to me than the assault on "Starkiller base" in Force Awakens. In fact this 30 minute episode is a better "Force Awakens" story by a country mile.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was so much fun.

I can’t wait for next Friday!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I acknowledge they are flawed but don't hate the sequels quite as much as the most vocal fanboys, but I'll cop to the fact that if the quality level maintains for 6 more episodes this may be the best Star Wars thing to drop since 1983.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Owlbear Camus posted:

He went in hot because that's what he knows. Weapons are his religion.

If I were his space lawyer I'd probably argue that a reasonable being coming across a well maintained ship landed would know it had an occupant they'd be marooning by jacking it, that marooning him on Planet Dirt Sand V or whatever was a credible mortal threat and he was justified in using lethal force to try and prevent it.

He also lives in his ship so the castle doctrine would apply.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this kind of felt to me like it was originally supposed to be part of the pilot and somewhere down the line they decided to split it into two episodes. maybe not. either way I enjoyed it and I loved the jawas being gross little monsters having a blast eating a disgusting hairy egg

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jon Favreau good so what.

also lol if you would set foot in a jet that has been repaired from scrap in the rear end end of nowhere over the course of a few days

edit: that's Pedro Pascal under there?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I also want to point out that I love how dirty this show is. Star Wars hasn’t felt this grimy and gross since A New Hope. It’s a fantastic antidote to the weirdly sterile prequels, especially.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All I’ll say is that I wish this was an hour instead of mid thirty. I’m not sure I really want more out of a plot like today’s episode, but I just instinctively want it to last a little longer.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Holy jesus, episodes are 20 minutes long and only 8 of them? Get hosed.

They need to make 12-16 episode seasons all 1 hour long. There is no way I'm keeping subbed for 20 minute bites. It's good, but not that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Philthy posted:

Holy jesus, episodes are 20 minutes long and only 8 of them? Get hosed.

They need to make 12-16 episode seasons all 1 hour long. There is no way I'm keeping subbed for 20 minute bites. It's good, but not that good.

Nice entitlement complex

EDIT: also, nice job being literally factually wrong about episode runtimes.