Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You don't need anyone from the Pikachu family, Togedemaru exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Patter Song posted:

Throw in Pichu and/or Raichu and you could have a team of six of them. Not sure if you'd count either of them.

You literally would not need them tho

Plusle
Minun
Pachurisu
Emolga
Dedenne
Togedamaru
Mimikyu

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Since it's been mentioned, I just want to take a moment to say one thing. gently caress you, Emolga. gently caress you and your Flying subtype, making my Krokorok resort to Rock Tomb to kill you, and gently caress you for having Static and paralyzing anything else I send at you.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

If it's a fan-game, you'd absolutely have to add in your own, exceptionally lovely fakeachu. For bonus fun, it's a Grass type that uses protective coloration to disguise itself as an electric rat, which is why it will wipe out the Ground or Water type you brought in to sweep up the Pikatypes.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016

I feel like Klinklang fit more because... Well...

Its line is an actual Metal Gear.

Regardless, as someone who's played a lot of the game, it's fairly hard to remain quiet about stuff you really wanna talk about this game with. I've got some choice words down the road...

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Psycho Knight posted:

Just a friendly reminder that Lucario is the greatest and most badass Pokemon of all time and you should all stand in awe of its majesty. God forbid we get through a single Pokemon game (fan or official) without that being shoved in our face.

I think we got through Uranium without a Lucario push, didn't we?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Ace of Aces posted:

I think we got through Uranium without a Lucario push, didn't we?

That is true, although Uranium was busy trying to push its own fan Pokemon. I just hate how hard Pokemon the franchise and Pokemon the fanbase push Lucario. It's incredibly prevalent.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 15, 2018

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
True. To be fair, I don't recall U/SuMo having a Lucario push either.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Psycho Knight posted:

That is true, although Uranium was busy trying to push its own fan Pokemon. I just hate how hard Pokemon the franchise and Pokemon the fanbase push Lucario. It's incredibly prevalent.

its a magic jackal monk, why the hate?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Ace of Aces posted:

True. To be fair, I don't recall U/SuMo having a Lucario push either.

My hope is that they are laying off of it. After the movie, Smash Bros inclusion, being the signature Pokemon of at least two trainers in different generations, being given to you with Mega Stone in XY (and pushed on you as being your destined partner or some crap), being the greatest ever in Mystery Dungeon, amiibo, Pokken Tournament cover.

GeneX posted:

It's petty, I'll admit to that. I just hate things that game/series try to push on you as being the best thing ever and you should love it and no we won't stop talking about it. I give Pikachu a pass since that's the series mascot.

Insurgence devotes some kind of temple to it and an entire scene where the player character kicking the bad guys asses means nothing, but Mega Lucario is like seeing Lu Bu.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 15, 2018

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

GeneX posted:

Between the insane push and the pokebestiality/gijinka/furry fandoms all converging on it at once it's easy to get sick of, which is a shame because I really like it.

Psycho Knight posted:

My hope is that they are laying off of it. After the movie, Smash Bros inclusion, being the signature Pokemon of at least two trainers in different generations, being given to you with Mega Stone in XY (and pushed on you as being your destined partner or some crap), being the greatest ever in Mystery Dungeon, amiibo, Pokken Tournament cover.

The bolded ones at least make sense since, you know, magic jackal monk. It's a shame Pokken was so terrible, honestly, I was really hype for 'POKEMON BY TEKKEN DEVS' and then it turned out to be like Divekick but worse.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
I don't mind the Lucario love. He reps Gen 4, and that automatically makes it better than the bullshit Gen 1 wank. I'm still not entirely fine with the decision to have every Alolan variant be a loving Gen 1 'mon.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

I don't mind the Lucario love. He reps Gen 4, and that automatically makes it better than the bullshit Gen 1 wank. I'm still not entirely fine with the decision to have every Alolan variant be a loving Gen 1 'mon.

Sudowoodo would've been the perfect Pokemon to have an Alola form. A rock that disguises itself as a tree? Have a palm tree Sudowoodo.

Gen 2 deserves more love.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zore posted:

You literally would not need them tho

Plusle
Minun
Pachurisu
Emolga
Dedenne
Togedamaru
Mimikyu

Mimikyu doesn't count. It's not an Electric rodent and it doesn't learn Nuzzle, the signature move of the Pikaclones.

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

USUM not adding more Alola variants for regions besides Kanto is still a baffling move to me.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Oooh. Does this mean I get the opportunity to link this in the context of the discussion?

Bogleech Reviews: The Riolu Line

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's a lot of things USUM did story and gameplay wise I am not a fan of, particularly with Lusamine, but that's more of a megathread topic.

But yeah, Lucario is a mess design-wise, and the heavy push it get does wear thin, though some smash fans are just pissed Lucario had replaced Mewtwo

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Patter Song posted:

Sudowoodo would've been the perfect Pokemon to have an Alola form. A rock that disguises itself as a tree? Have a palm tree Sudowoodo.

That's brilliant. Too bad GF didn't think to give a poo poo about other gens.

Vandar posted:

USUM not adding more Alola variants for regions besides Kanto is still a baffling move to me.

drat shame. There's still so many good options too.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Lucario doesn't seem like a mess design wise it actually looks quite simple. The mega-evolution does have a lot going one but it seems appropriate like Lucario is going SSJ3 which is awesome. Personally I like Lucario.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

for me it doesn't read like a fighting type, nor a steel type outside of the weirdly placed spikes. If I were to guess it's typing base on other pokemon designs, it'd be Dark.

Generally Pokemon design is very good at telling you what the primary typing is right off the bat thanks to either coloration (bright yellows tend to indicate electric, and pre-XY, pink or white for normal), or design shorthands (lightning bolt horn for the non-yellow Blitzle), Lucario manages to convey fighting by it's stance, but nothing else says 'steel'.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ace of Aces posted:

Between the insane push and the pokebestiality/gijinka/furry fandoms all converging on it at once it's easy to get sick of, which is a shame because I really like it.
It's a hard world to be a non-creepy fan of Salazzle in.

EDIT: Actually I'm genuinely surprised it took so many gens for gamefreak to run with a salamander pun using an actual salamander. Heck, they even included the poisonous folklore associations as well as the obvious fire ones!

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 15, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Robindaybird posted:

for me it doesn't read like a fighting type, nor a steel type outside of the weirdly placed spikes. If I were to guess it's typing base on other pokemon designs, it'd be Dark.

Generally Pokemon design is very good at telling you what the primary typing is right off the bat thanks to either coloration (bright yellows tend to indicate electric, and pre-XY, pink or white for normal), or design shorthands (lightning bolt horn for the non-yellow Blitzle), Lucario manages to convey fighting by it's stance, but nothing else says 'steel'.
I can see it as a fighting type, because it's bipedal and sleek and sort of in a martial arts stance IIRC. You're definitely right that if I had to pick a secondary type for it based solely upon its visual design it would be Dark, not Steel, though.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Lucario is a terrible design but I love him because he is terrible

so too, this fangame

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Patter Song posted:

I think they made A-Exeggutor first and then were like "well poo poo"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I like Lucario and all. I just think it’s way too oversturated. If the plan had gone through and it became more like Pikachu with some other bipedal dogs replacing it in new games over the years, it’d be less bad. Unfortunately, Zoroark didn’t get that popular thanks to a number of poor decisions by Gamefreak, so the plan was scrapped and we got the blue jackal shoved into the limelight as almost as hard as Pikachu and Charizard.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

If it's a fan-game, you'd absolutely have to add in your own, exceptionally lovely fakeachu. For bonus fun, it's a Grass type that uses protective coloration to disguise itself as an electric rat, which is why it will wipe out the Ground or Water type you brought in to sweep up the Pikatypes.

For bonus lovely, it's just the regular pikachu sprite, with a greenish tint overlay.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Ratoslov posted:

I'm sorry but I'm still baffled by this. Why on earth would you ever use a Water-type against what is ostensibly an Electric-type gym? Unless it was something like the Wooper or Mudkip lines but those are also Ground-type so their Water-typing doesn't count.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

serefin99 posted:

I'm sorry but I'm still baffled by this. Why on earth would you ever use a Water-type against what is ostensibly an Electric-type gym? Unless it was something like the Wooper or Mudkip lines but those are also Ground-type so their Water-typing doesn't count.

Because I forgot the type chart for a moment and thought water shorted out electric?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Patter Song posted:

It already looks kinda like a palm tree though. Make it look like a pine tree or a cactus, just something that's oddly out of place, or like a willow or oak tree if you want to make it Rock/Poison.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
If we're gonna discuss Lucario, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that it has a giant nose that Game Freak and everyone else desperately wants you to believe is a snout.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Geostomp posted:

I like Lucario and all. I just think it’s way too oversturated. If the plan had gone through and it became more like Pikachu with some other bipedal dogs replacing it in new games over the years, it’d be less bad. Unfortunately, Zoroark didn’t get that popular thanks to a number of poor decisions by Gamefreak, so the plan was scrapped and we got the blue jackal shoved into the limelight as almost as hard as Pikachu and Charizard.

Zoroark could've been cool, a shame about the stats and movepool just not quite being there for what it wanted to be. Also illusion getting partially kneecapped by team preview.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Obligatum VII posted:

Zoroark could've been cool, a shame about the stats and movepool just not quite being there for what it wanted to be. Also illusion getting partially kneecapped by team preview.

Shame it was an event 'mon and so most people didn't get one for a long while.

If they wanted it to be a replacement Lucario, they should have given you one in the game like they did with Lucario.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Vandar posted:

Shame it was an event 'mon and so most people didn't get one for a long while.

If they wanted it to be a replacement Lucario, they should have given you one in the game like they did with Lucario.

Its also a movie pokemon so that explains the decision to have it event only.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back. We have a lot to do today, so let's not waste any time!

The two rooms we couldn't get in thanks to the cultists have some goodies. Dracolich gets the Spell Tag in case he wants to ever use Shadow Sneak.

The roadblock is gone now that that Lucario has gone super saiyan.

It stinks!

Just past the roadblock is this laid off miner.

What's really funny about Brock is that Pikachu would have been an okay choice against him. It's just the preponderance of Rock/Ground types in Gen 1 that made electric mice a poor choice.

The only reason Janine here didn't one shot the Roggenrola is because it had Sturdy. Also I grab Thunder Wave and get rid of Play Nice. We'll be putting this move to such good use throughout the game.

These battles are barely worth mentioning.

It will be an extremely long time before we make our way around to Hekate Town. If I'm not mistaken, that's between the 5th and 6th gym. So this poor guy is gonna be jobless for a long time.

In the cave, we have another grinding zone. Nurse Joy is right there, so if you have the patience you can grab a few levels. We need to get our team up to around 24-25, however the XP given plummets here around 20. At that you earn ~100 per battle and you need a few thousand per level.

I've mentioned it a few times, but the upcoming gym leader's ace is 25. The rest of his team is between 23 and 24. The other trainers in his gym are 20. There's another grinding zone on the other side of the upcoming town, but it has basically the same encounter table as Cyan Cavern here, at the same levels.

What I'm getting at is this section of the game loving sucks. So please excuse me as I skip through the next hour of footage in basically no time.

Also that TM is locked off by Rock Climb. So we can't get it until the postgame. It's Iron Tail, for whatever that's worth.

The local trainers have some interesting team members.

I'm still taking requests, but my team is pretty much locked until I reach the town after the next one. Metchi Town is just a single route past Suntouched City and it's where the game finally eases up on the godawful grinding.

Wow. Pancham is a 1% encounter and I just tripped across one!

Fight me. :colbert:

Just after catching Taran Zhu, I swap out Chompy Boy for someone else because Chompy Boy takes hits like wet paper.

Taran Zhu is pretty okay.

Gremlin is interesting. I don't have a shot of her stats, sadly.

Tightlips has the potential to be a really dangerous Huntail.

Anyway, I grab Anatomy to give her a spin.

This won't last long. Icicle Spear is a terrible move and will make grinding her up a pain in the rear end.

A Whismur is always welcome. I put one to really good use in a recent run of Alpha Sapphire. Never hurts to have the option!

And the team is finally finalized. This Staryu is gonna be one of my secret weapons against the upcoming gym.

It also gets a decent early game STAB move.

And a move with perfect accuracy!

Then a few levels later, Water Gun gets a really powerful upgrade.

Magnemite is being held back for a rainy day. I'm gonna keep Janine for a while. Also we can't fully evolve it to Magnezone until level 55 or so.

Fuckin' seriously!?

Insurgence has the same problem that all Essentials productions do... NPCs are allowed to wander. In this case, that Ace Trainer we fought over near the wall has wandered directly in front of the path I've been following. This will be a constant annoyance throughout the game.

By the way, I wasn't kidding about the XP dropping. Whismur is probably the most common encounter in here and this is how much XP it gives. Shuckle and Sableye give more, but they're harder to find.

Yeah, let me just use this move that removes the STAB bonus on Bubble Beam. That's an amazing idea.

10 minutes later...

5 minutes later...

Pity too, because I don't believe I've ever used a Hariyama.

This Onix won't let me escape even after KOing Artix.

:tizzy: The first... the first... the first loving ball!

Some day I will look back at the box and wonder why I named an Onix "gently caress You"

Moving on, this sounds like a decent idea.

So I get rid of Encore for it. I'll probably never use Rest but hey... why not?

Just imagine each screenshot is taken between 3 and 5 minutes apart to get the idea for how much I'm skipping over here.

Between updates, people in the thread started talking about Zoroark and its relationship with Lucario. I thought it was funny you guys brought it up.

Is it weird that I can't play the game at a speed slower than this?

Anyway, this is a thing the game likes to occasionally do. I have to admit, I kinda enjoy when it does. Just random Zorua and Zoroarks are great gotcha moments. They show up just infrequently enough that you always forget about them too.

Anyway, after the Zorua fakeout, this rude old man only has a Cubone and a Grimer.

Never lost? I somehow doubt that.

I somehow don't think that dialogue is supposed to be here.

Just on the other side the path curls down in on itself in a spiral. There's a hiker down here.

Yeah, probably.

I appreciate that Insurgence lets trainers have all sorts of pokemon. It prevents battles from getting too bogged down in Nidorans and Rattatas.

Artix continues her rampage across the early parts of the game unabated.

The last couple trainers are found down here, as well as some useful items.

He had the three Gen 1 Eeveelutions. No idea why he doesn't like ice types.

A magnet!

Yoink.

This is also the point where I said "gently caress it" to grinding and decided to move on.

Mark is the last trainer in the cave, and these are his only two pokemon.

The lower floor is a smaller loop. This ladder up is on the far side of the wall from where we came down.

And that's Cyan Cavern. Let's never speak of it again.

Suntouched City is the first big town in the game. There's a lot of houses that I'm not going to show off with a bunch of people making terrible jokes.

The gym is up on the upper level of the city.

Multiple NPCs have talked about how Orion uses multiple types. This guy says he uses Fire and something else. The teacher at the trainer school says Fire and Grass types. Can you guess what Orion's gimmick is? It's pretty obvious if you think about it.

Oh... we will. We very much will. :getin:

You might notice this pokecenter is kinda spacious. That's because it has multiple floors!

The three painted lines take you to the three types of shops. The blue line takes you to the pokemart where there's always NPCs waiting in line who all make the same joke that you're cutting in front of them. All of them. In. Every. Goddamn. Big. Pokecenter. It makes you smile the first time. Then it just gets old.

The purple line takes you to the hair stylist. Female characters have two hair types: long and short. Right now Amy's hair is long. Males get "bald" and "has hair."

If you have the wrong hair dye in and the wrong type of hair, when your character does their run animation, the hair stays in place while their head goes forward. The customization system is not well thought out.

Speaking of which, the candy cane line goes to the clothing shop. There's nothing worth buying there. The customization barely shows up in the overworld and looks terrible on the trainer card. It's also just recolors of the same pants and shirt. There are no skirts or dresses or sweaters or anything like that.

On the one hand I'm impressed that they included customization at all. On the other I'm disappointed at how limited it is.

If there's interest, I'll go through and show off what the clothing shop has for sale. Otherwise I probably won't interact with it much.

have a theme.

strategies!

I completely forgot an NPC said this.

The back of the upper floor has the name rater and move deleter and usually an old man who gives you something nice.

In this case he doesn't.

The north of Suntouched has a huge golden statue of Jaern.

She'll give us a couple Heart Scales. Decent, but meh.

Shiny Stone. We can buy these in infinite quantities once we get to the capital city.

Yes... yes they are.

This is the start of a quest for another Delta Pokemon. We can't really do it until we clear the first gym, however. Long story short, something is messing up his flower garden and he wants our help to take care of it. I'll cover the Delta in question when we can catch it. It's not very far away at all!

Free moon stone!

We haven't seen it yet, but there's a pond in the middle of the cave to the south. We can't leave until we can surf, and we can't surf until we clear the gym.

:smith: Wish I could rescue this poor Machop from its awful trainer.

Next door we can rob a Skitty of its gem.

Orion is a young child and a gym leader. So he has an imaginary friend.

So yeah, in the capital city there's an NPC who just sells a service that lets you get trade evolutions without actually having to trade. They're a pain in the rear end to get to but it's oh-so-worth it.

This is an obtuse reference to the Relic Song quest. You know, that ability we can't learn until the postgame.

:toot: NPCs are really generous!

More postgame stuff.

Complete dead end down here. There's like... one new pokemon to catch in here, a Timburr. There's also a trade on the upper level (that we'll see next time) where you can trade a Butterfree for a Natu.

Otherwise, there's literally nothing new to see here.

The Suntouched Exitway has the same encounter levels as Cyan Cavern. So it's not even a good grinding spot.

Let's end the update on a good note, however.

I accidentally forget Metal Sound here instead of Vice Grip. So for the time being, duranduran has 4 attack moves. I'll take care of that eventually.

Anyway, that's enough for now.

NEXT TIME: I'm going to "find" about 17 rare candies in order to get everyone up to level 24. Then I'm going to go confront the gym leader so we can be forever done with soul destroying grinding.

All that's between us and that glorious day is one gym leader, one route with a few scattered trainers, one mandatory battle, and $5000. I'm excited and you should be too!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

And, of course, you're going to use the moon stone in a responsible way and evolve the greatest pokemon ever created, correct?

Also, when can you get a Jigglypuff? You need a Wigglytuff named Yoomtah (or YOOM-TAH if you care about quote accuracy).

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

DoubleNegative posted:

Speaking of which, the candy cane line goes to the clothing shop. There's nothing worth buying there. The customization barely shows up in the overworld and looks terrible on the trainer card. It's also just recolors of the same pants and shirt. There are no skirts or dresses or sweaters or anything like that.

On the one hand I'm impressed that they included customization at all. On the other I'm disappointed at how limited it is.

If I remember correctly, there was a clothing set that I really liked using. I cannot remember how far into the game it is before you get it though. It's probably end or post game given that there was some slight effort put into it.

Still, I liked that they at least put something in here. Being stuck in your cult prison jumpsuit is a little odd. You would think that would make it super easy for those guys to track you down.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I like that Zorua trainer, having him send it out disguised as a Poison-type is a nice touch.

For what it's worth, I've heard "Rich Boy Hans" is supposed to be a reference to the movie "Frozen". I've never actually seen it, though, so take that with a grain of salt, I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

gently caress off

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

serefin99 posted:

For what it's worth, I've heard "Rich Boy Hans" is supposed to be a reference to the movie "Frozen". I've never actually seen it, though, so take that with a grain of salt, I guess.

It's completely possible, both Hans(es?) wished to obtain a kingdom (although their methods differ, this one wanting to use his money instead of marrying into a ruling family then murdering his wife) and the hate of Ice-types would fit with his eventual defeat. I probably don't need to spoiler tag a 2013 movie but this has very little to do with Insurgence and it's a good movie, so better safe than sorry.

If so, this is a surprisingly subtle reference, and I'll take any subtlety I can get in these fan games that are always incredibly blatant about everything to the point of ruining the mood they're trying to create.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This is uh, not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Why is his head so tiny? Is that what he actually looks like?