Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
At least they didn’t go with piss yellow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wearing my Wirglwyville jersey when it's time to absolutely scream about drinking beer to my bros and then projectile vomit on an alley rat.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Would you wear a jersey that said Lakeview instead?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The light blue is what I don't like, which is odd considering how much I like the Twins powder blue unis. The navy blue is rad but it'll suck in the sun.

E:

Miz Kriss posted:

I will not sully my neighborhood with Wrigleyville's antics. I've never had to dodge sidewalk vomit anywhere else.

Alley rats, though. Those we got.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 8, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

at least they don't say Count The Legal Votes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The unis could be easily improved by using something other than baby blue for the accents and sleeves.

Is every team doing a local flavor uniform this year, or just both Chicago teams coincidentally?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I like this patch a lot

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The unis could be easily improved by using something other than baby blue for the accents and sleeves.

Is every team doing a local flavor uniform this year, or just both Chicago teams coincidentally?

I believe this is the same uniform program as the Boston piss jersey.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://news.nike.com/news/nike-mlb-city-connect-series-2021-22 posted:

Developed in collaboration with seven inaugural clubs (Arizona Diamondbacks, Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers, Miami Marlins, San Francisco Giants), Nike MLB City Connect Series honors the history that binds club, fan, city and culture. In later seasons, the City Connect Series will appear league-wide.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

wearing my Wirglwyville jersey when it's time to absolutely scream about drinking beer to my bros and then projectile vomit on an alley rat.

The part that gets me is the tonedeaf part about how the whole narration is effectively "We're here for ALL of Chicago" and then they write one specific neighborhood on the chest.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
haha, the long rich history of the Marlins just loving over any potential long-term Miami fanbase over and over and over again

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

The light blue is what I don't like, which is odd considering how much I like the Twins powder blue unis. The navy blue is rad but it'll suck in the sun.

E:

I will not sully my neighborhood with Wrigleyville's antics. I've never had to dodge sidewalk vomit anywhere else.

Alley rats, though. Those we got.

I’ll agree with you on the normal Wrigleyville Bros antics, but I have my doubts on the sidewalk puke considering my sister works in Lakeview and has personally witnessed someone puking a mix of green beer and bad decisions right in front of the shop’s display window.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I already ordered the hat because I haven't bought a Cubs fitted in like 15 months and I'm Jonesing. I do wish it had the patch on the side with the municipal device that's on the jersey sleeve (that Y insignia which is a chicago thing, about the river).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/portside_drive/status/1402056512801968129?s=19

Speaking of cool jerseys, these Negro League throwback jerseys own

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

seiferguy posted:

Those are fresh as hell.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

Negro League jerseys in general were fantastic, and they were mostly designed by enthusiastic amateurs on an extremely limited budget and with extremely limited design options.

Which, again, makes me shake my head at those hats from a couple of weeks ago.

Like, this is a cap from a 1920s barnstorming team and it looks like something a modern fashion house would give justin beiber to wear at an awards show

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 8, 2021

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

drat. Between these and the cream colored alternates - they should never wear anything else.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Miz Kriss posted:

It's pride month they should have made some Boystown jerseys.

Overall I like them, something different.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Popete posted:

It's pride month they should have made some Boystown jerseys.

Overall I like them, something different.
My first thought was 77 jerseys or 77 patches for all of the neighborhoods :v: Like the C or the bear all decorated different

I like the more subdue look with the baby blue as an accent. If it was flipped, I don’t know if I’d like it as much. I made the mistake of looking at the Twitter replies, and geez you’d think they put Rosemont on the front.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Miz Kriss posted:

My first thought was 77 jerseys or 77 patches for all of the neighborhoods :v: Like the C or the bear all decorated different

I like the more subdue look with the baby blue as an accent. If it was flipped, I don’t know if I’d like it as much. I made the mistake of looking at the Twitter replies, and geez you’d think they put Rosemont on the front.

This would probably sell really well with suburbanites.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It’s bad enough when the say they’re from the city

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Miz Kriss posted:

It’s bad enough when the say they’re from the city

I learned recently that Will County is "the southside" apparently

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bewbies posted:

Negro League jerseys in general were fantastic, and they were mostly designed by enthusiastic amateurs on an extremely limited budget and with extremely limited design options.

Which, again, makes me shake my head at those hats from a couple of weeks ago.

Like, this is a cap from a 1920s barnstorming team and it looks like something a modern fashion house would give justin beiber to wear at an awards show

My wallet is happy everything I want from Ebbets is sold-out, by my heart is sad that I can't buy cool poo poo

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I can’t justify spending over $100 on a shirt or $40 for a hat :smith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
$40? I haven't bought a fitted hat in a long time, is that what they go for now or is that because it's a special design?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Tbh, I kinda miss picking up dirt cheap jerseys and hats at the little Game-Used store in Minute Maid. They have all the titular game-used stuff for $$$$, but that’s also where they stick all the one-off event unis and caps that don’t sell. I’ve got a couple fitted Jackie Robinson Day and 90s throwback caps that I bought for like ~$15 each.

That’s also where I bought a 2017 WS game-worn Rich Dauer jersey for $30, but that thing has gotta be cursed now.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

The only hat I’ve bought was on clearance at Scheels for like $5

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Intruder posted:

$40? I haven't bought a fitted hat in a long time, is that what they go for now or is that because it's a special design?

A lot of the stuff on ebbets is either made-to-order, made by hand or both.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Even regular rear end sports gear is expensive as gently caress these days, particularly hats. A new hat from New Era/MLB Shop is $30-$40 depending.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the hat is cool I admit

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm going to a St. Paul Saints game tonight hooray baseball!

Also Buxton is supposedly going to start a rehab assignment tonight as well so I even get to see one of my favorite players (if he doesn't get held back for Being Byron Buxton)

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Squall posted:

It's a hilarious contract but at the end of the day the whole thing is like $24M. And, I mean, who knows, he could always figure it out in AAA.

The problem with contracts like Kingery's isn't the money, it's that they can hurt a player's development. If Scott Kingery was on a normal contract, the Phillies would've sent him down when he struggled in his rookie year. But they were paying him, so they kept playing him even though he was like the worst hitter in baseball that year. That's a great way to ruin a prospect.

The $24 million doesn't hurt the Phillies that much, but having one of their top prospects bust sure does!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

So ruined by 2018 that he was very good in 2019.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

So ruined by 2018 that he was very good in 2019.

You keep repeating this over and over but he was just kinda okay in 2019?

I mean hey don't knock 2.8 WAR, that's a nice player to have on your team, but he was basically a league average hitter who still struck out almost 30% of the time and posted a pretty miserable wOBA. Not exactly the guy I think they expected him to be when they threw that contract at him.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/1402325910527819776?s=20

Tremendous arm, but just no control or command whatsoever, seems mostly mental? Hope he finds what makes him happy.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

You keep repeating this over and over but he was just kinda okay in 2019?

I mean hey don't knock 2.8 WAR, that's a nice player to have on your team, but he was basically a league average hitter who still struck out almost 30% of the time and posted a pretty miserable wOBA. Not exactly the guy I think they expected him to be when they threw that contract at him.

He was expected to be a guy that played very good defence all over the place and could be an average to above average hitter with good to very good speed on the bases: exactly what he was in 2019.

I understand that people wanna make fun of the contract and see him as a failed prospect, but he wasn't that going into last season when he got covid. And then he sucked out loud last year and then Phillies management turned over.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If a guy's expected peak is 2-3 WAR then why bother rushing to sign a pre-arb extension in the first place? That kind of player is never going to be all that expensive so you might as well let him go through the normal (extremely team friendly) process.

edit: especially if that value comes largely from defense, which is typically under-valued in arbitration already

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 8, 2021

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I feel obliged to add to the chorus that this is one of the nicest most pleasingly designed uniforms I've ever seen. I really love baseball uniforms that stick to simple black/white or black/grey colors. For instance there were several years recently from 08-14 I think where the Red Sox had road unis with dark navy blue lettering over grey and they looked sick, then they went back to gross ketchup-colored lettering that looks OK on the white home unis but has never (and will never) look good on the grey road unis :sigh:

The alternates are even worse, too, and the yellow/blue ones were unspeakable. I deeply loathe just about every Red Sox uniform except the standard home whites, which I only strongly dislike. I actually quite like pinstriped unis like the old Astros home unis (maybe my favorite of all) or the CO Rockies home ones - and the Yankees home unis of course, tough not to like those objectively for their beauty and simplicity.

Astros have always had the best uniforms out of ANY team though, in my opinion. They even had those SICK black and white uniforms they wore briefly before leaving the Astrodome, and I don't even need to talk about their older unis.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 8, 2021

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

If a guy's expected peak is 2-3 WAR then why bother rushing to sign a pre-arb extension in the first place? That kind of player is never going to be all that expensive so you might as well let him go through the normal (extremely team friendly) process.

edit: especially if that value comes largely from defense, which is typically under-valued in arbitration already

I don't necessarily disagree that rushing to sign him was a bad idea, but if he was a 2-3 win player through that contract he probably would have made about the same thing if he was a super 2 player at that level, and a good deal more if he became a 3+ win 20/20 guy, which wasn't far fetched (and he could still be really).

Why the Phillies felt they absolutely had to have him up at the beginning of 2018 is an entirely different question considering they were in the middle of rebuilding. He's definitely overpaid as a 2-3 win guy if he only has 3 years of arb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm suggesting that the contract heavily implies the Phillies thought he was more than a 2-3 WAR player.