Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jaxyon posted:

Guys in the AI future it's going to be hard to establish ownership of art.

You'll need a way to confirm that it's from you, and not an AI.

You know the answer.......NFTs.

:getin:

"Imagine bots running randomized art prompts, for AI art generation programs, for automated NFT minters... forever." :psylon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

On the "bright" side, his work are considered to have a 'style' of its own. That's how you know you have made it.

Mister Facetious posted:

"Imagine bots running randomized art prompts.

Have you heard of #inktober? introducing #botober:
https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/1568248183037345796

https://www.aiweirdness.com/botober-2022-draw-human-draw/

Trying to get a bunch of toddlers to cooperate.
(Ada is trying her best)

SniHjen fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 13, 2022

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Some manufacturers already pay for shelf space, imagine if you only showed Coca-cola products on the doors on exchange for $$$?

We've gone over this before, it's dumb as gently caress, I just want to watch it burn.

I've seen videos of these doors screens. Occasionally, one or two of the drinks will wiggle or "dance" briefly to attract your attention (I hate it). It's basically perfect. Soda companies have an additional way to show advertisements to people (and you can't really block these, like you can internet ads) and the store can set up a bidding war between the soda companies. "Oh, you want your soda to sparkle? That costs extra"

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

https://twitter.com/shardsambit/status/1408932413481259011

Of course it's all about the advertising. Banner ads between products, center video ads, and of course the enticing animated effects.

It's just getting started too. The goal is using facial recognition to display targeted ads.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 13, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Can one of those cameras be pointed at the contents, and the contents be displayed on the outside? That would be very helpful.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Can one of those cameras be pointed at the contents, and the contents be displayed on the outside? That would be very helpful.

There are cameras pointed at the inside, to gather data about what people take. But the screen's only set up to show video ads.

There's also cameras pointed at the outside, to track when people walk by, whether they look at the door, how long they spend at the door, and whether they open the door.

It's the classic big tech "just collect as much data as possible, in hopes that some of it will somehow be useful to optimize and min-max your advertising for maximum effect".

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Next phase is the loving refrigerator calling you loudly by name and asking if you'll be having dulche De leche again.
gently caress you fridge, I'm going with fudge brownie!

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Wait until someone hacks it to play Weird Al Yankovic's I Love Rocky Road.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Refrigerator: “This is your third beer run this week, click here to acknowledge this warning and absolve 7-11 and it’s subsidiaries of liability.”

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

withak posted:

Refrigerator: “This is your third beer run this week, click here to acknowledge this warning and absolve 7-11 and it’s subsidiaries of liability.”

Just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Carl's Jr kiosk: "At Carl's Jr we believe that no child should go hungry. You are an unfit mother. Your children will be placed in the custody of Carl's Jr."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is my son Carl last name Sjr.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wooo, look at this totally "not racist" thing people are using AI for now:

https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1569635559223558145

Another wonderful use for technology!

Jesus, it's weird that the 80s cyberpunk writers weren't somehow weren't pessimistic enough about what a tech dystopia future would actually be like.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dr_rat posted:

Jesus, it's weird that the 80s cyberpunk writers weren't somehow weren't pessimistic enough about what a tech dystopia future would actually be like.

Ah, the two races: white and woke.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Woke is like the ((( ))) thing but for black people.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Tech Nightmares: I'm not racist, but my AI is

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

dr_rat posted:

There was the movie Rising Sun where a person's head was computer swapped with another one, but true face/voice mapping obv wasn't a thing.

"Please do not misinterpret."

:wink:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Have you brought any fruits or vegetables to the planet?"
"Two weeks."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

By popular demand posted:

Next phase is the loving refrigerator calling you loudly by name and asking if you'll be having dulche De leche again.
gently caress you fridge, I'm going with fudge brownie!

I'm imagining the wine section literally calling out to a recovering alcoholic by name.

Edit: Posted this before seeing withac's post lol

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
https://twitter.com/mikewayland/status/1562518465587851265

Name the various things that could go wrong with bringing platooning autonomous driving via wi-fi over to individual vehicles

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Waiting for the inevitable heist where someone just paints a QR code on the back of their van and the follower truck gets confused and obediently fucks off with the thieves.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Sage Grimm posted:

Name the various things that could go wrong with bringing platooning autonomous driving via wi-fi over to individual vehicles
How could the tech theoretically be used for trailers when trailers don't have engines? Is there a tractor beam or something?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you put an engine on a trailer then is it still a trailer?

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

So basically, what if trains, but roads?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I don't think I'll properly understand how horror media gets targeted to kids. I know it's little different from the Alien Movie Action Figures from when I was a kid, but I always wonder about the process, and how it's nearly automated these days. Like, I really doubt the creators of Poppy's Playtime or Friday Night Funkin' have any cash flow from the knockoff merchandise, and I've seen with my own eyes that kids play knockoff versions of these properties on Roblox & the like instead of the product themselves.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

raifield posted:

So basically, what if trains, but roads?

*no couplers.

But also I'm pretty sure separating the engines like this is an inefficient use of the fuel?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Triskelli posted:

I don't think I'll properly understand how horror media gets targeted to kids. I know it's little different from the Alien Movie Action Figures from when I was a kid, but I always wonder about the process, and how it's nearly automated these days. Like, I really doubt the creators of Poppy's Playtime or Friday Night Funkin' have any cash flow from the knockoff merchandise, and I've seen with my own eyes that kids play knockoff versions of these properties on Roblox & the like instead of the product themselves.

it starts with twitch streamers playing the game and doing over the top scared funny noises, then those videos getting uploaded to youtube, yada yada, my kid wants to dress up like a character from a video game he's never played for halloween.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

*no couplers.

But also I'm pretty sure separating the engines like this is an inefficient use of the fuel?

The software is the coupler. This is a software-defined train.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol my blue tooth and wifi still has hiccups a few times a week, and this is with devices that are all less than a year old, loving dont trust that wireless trailer convoy poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sage Grimm posted:

Has anyone done "woops, the payment for renewing your Remote Autonomous Choo Choo license didn't go through due to a glitch, get hit with a loud renewal request as simultaneously the autonomous car abruptly halts in the middle of I90 near Boston during rush hour"?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't understand what the point of this is. If you have two vehicles each with their own engines, why does one need to "tow" the other? And if you don't have two vehicles each with their own engine, this can't possibly work. The only use case I can think of where I've seen one operable vehicle towing another operable vehicle is RVs that tow a car, but presumably it would still be better to simply... tow the car, rather than burning the extra fuel of having the car drive a foot behind you or whatever.

Is it just to save the labour of exact one (1) truck driver, who would otherwise drive a second tractor-trailer combo? How will it be parked at a loading dock, if so? What happens if you attempt to do a lane change that would cause the trailing vehicle to sideswipe something? Does it decouple, or drive itself into whatever's next to it? Are the mirrors on the vehicles large enough to even have adequate visibility of the full combined length of two large vehicles? Also, and I can't stress this enough: *ENDLESS SCREAMING*

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

raifield posted:

The software is the coupler. This is a software-defined train.

In software that's called a link.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Solutions in search of a problem.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

Solutions in search of a problem.

While also creating many problems of its own.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PT6A posted:

I don't understand what the point of this is.
The ones I've seen in the past have been military, and had dedicated hardware. The point of those was to reduce the number of truck drivers, and to hide the driver to somewhere in the middle of the convoy (this was during Iraq/Afghanistan wars).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

I don't understand what the point of this is. If you have two vehicles each with their own engines, why does one need to "tow" the other? And if you don't have two vehicles each with their own engine, this can't possibly work. The only use case I can think of where I've seen one operable vehicle towing another operable vehicle is RVs that tow a car, but presumably it would still be better to simply... tow the car, rather than burning the extra fuel of having the car drive a foot behind you or whatever.

Is it just to save the labour of exact one (1) truck driver, who would otherwise drive a second tractor-trailer combo? How will it be parked at a loading dock, if so? What happens if you attempt to do a lane change that would cause the trailing vehicle to sideswipe something? Does it decouple, or drive itself into whatever's next to it? Are the mirrors on the vehicles large enough to even have adequate visibility of the full combined length of two large vehicles? Also, and I can't stress this enough: *ENDLESS SCREAMING*

Saving long-haul drivers. In theory, the convoy of autotrucks would pull up to a waiting area at the destination, where human drivers would show up and get into each of the trucks to manually drive them into the right spot for unloading.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

PT6A posted:

The point is also to temporarily be able to expand your carry capacity while still driving your sedan. Like if you rent a moving truck you wouldn't have to have a second person to drive the truck you could just have it auto-follow you.

On the professional end you could have one 'truck' driver piloting a specialized beacon vehicle that shepherds multiple headless engine cargo trailers. Mirrors would be designed accordingly, rear/side cameras on the trailers would feed to the driver, parking at loading docks could be done via self-driving or remote operator, etc.

edit:
For delivery drivers too, especially with other self-driving tech. One driver could go out with a little train of small delivery cargos pods which could decouple and return home after delivery. Pods could rendezvous with a delivery driver in the field to replenish their cargo or simply remain at the drop-off locations until sent back.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 14, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MixMasterMalaria posted:

The point is also to temporarily be able to expand your carry capacity while still driving your sedan. Like if you rent a moving truck you wouldn't have to have a second person to drive the truck you could just have it auto-follow you.

Oh yeah, this will work out great because the 36,000 lb UHAUL straight truck I rented surely will be able to stop just as quickly as my passenger car. No chance of literally causing myself to get run over there.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Motronic posted:

Oh yeah, this will work out great because the 36,000 lb UHAUL straight truck I rented surely will be able to stop just as quickly as my passenger car. No chance of literally causing myself to get run over there.

Yeah I mean there's certainly issues. I assume however that such hypothetical vehicles would take a different and smaller formfactor than the current UHAUL trucks. Maybe just scale up capacity with modular headless vehicle pods?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Road trains aren't a new thing by any means. I'm pretty sure the coupling methods between the various segments aren't the primary issues they face in even small scale deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The problem, as is per usual with tech intended to replace trains (why do techbros hate trains so much?) is the laws of physics. If they're not physically linked they need their own engine which means more fuel, more maintenance, more ways for the following truck to suddenly swerve because of an error call and plow through everything in the adjacent lane or go flying off a cliff.

I know it's probably classified but I wonder what the loss rate on those Afghanistan trucks was in the field.