Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Leal posted:

I've just realized Final Fantasy 14 Shadowbringers removed all of the flavor text from the tooltips of abilities. Now it just states what the move does. This is especially awful for the change to Astrologians DoT, now it just says "deals damage over time". Before it said "Being close to a theoretical sun is causing damage". The fact that someone could, in theory, be near a sun and causing them damage is great and I am deeply unhappy this has been removed.

They're still there they're just in your abilities menu so its not cluttering up the tooltips.

Schubalts posted:

Kai Leng was great because he kept getting talked up but every single time you fight him, he got punked and ran away. Thane's "Tell him he got held off by a dying Drell." and Shepard's "You brought a gunship and still can't beat me!" which was followed by Kai Leng making this frustrated whine like a bratty teenager.

He was "bad rear end" in the prequel book, though it was what a 14 year old would think was bad rear end. Im wondering if there was conflict between the book writer and game writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Kai Leng's biggest moment was breaking into Anderson's house and eating his cereal.

Judge Tesla posted:

Reaver's whole deal is that he's basically immortal, he sold your starting town in Fable 1 for eternal life, everyone who lived there died as part of the deal, he's smug because he knows you need him and in Fable 3 he's basically Mr Capitalism who owns all the industry and benefits from any decision you make as his company handles it.

He can still be killed. He has to keep sacrificing people to those evil gods to keep his youth, which Fable 2 forces you to go along with or let him take your own youth. If the game allowed you to stop him, he would have died then and there as part of his pact, and the world would have instantly become a better place. :shepface:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I know it's been covered a lot, but now that I'm giving Breath of the Wild another shot, I'm really enjoying it. I'm having a great time, but the weapons just don't seem durable enough. I've broken out of my "hoard it till you need it" mindset, which jumped up the enjoyability a lot for me, but dammit, my very powerful weapons should last longer than they do.

And one question while I'm here; did you have to kill the Lynel to get the shock arrows for fighting Vah Ruta? Because that fight was hard with only three hearts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Leavemywife posted:

I know it's been covered a lot, but now that I'm giving Breath of the Wild another shot, I'm really enjoying it. I'm having a great time, but the weapons just don't seem durable enough. I've broken out of my "hoard it till you need it" mindset, which jumped up the enjoyability a lot for me, but dammit, my very powerful weapons should last longer than they do.

And one question while I'm here; did you have to kill the Lynel to get the shock arrows for fighting Vah Ruta? Because that fight was hard with only three hearts.

A little past him there are arrows up the mountain from where he does target practice IIRC

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

They are all over the mountiantop.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Mission Vao from KOTOR is kind of cheating since she becomes a PC pretty quickly but holy goddamn is she annoying. Just the scappy street urchin stereotype turned up to 11 with a bunch of really embarrassing B-grade Star Wars-isms awkwardly injected into her already grating dialogue. If she ever develops into a more interesting character I'll never know because I dump her into party member purgatory the very instant I'm given the option.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I had trouble getting to those arrows, because he seemed to decide to snipe the hell out of me when I tried, and it was pretty much a one shot kill.

Though, I will say, it was immensely satisfying killing him then just taking my time looking around, grabbing arrows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Riatsala posted:

Mission Vao from KOTOR is kind of cheating since she becomes a PC pretty quickly but holy goddamn is she annoying. Just the scappy street urchin stereotype turned up to 11 with a bunch of really embarrassing B-grade Star Wars-isms awkwardly injected into her already grating dialogue. If she ever develops into a more interesting character I'll never know because I dump her into party member purgatory the very instant I'm given the option.

If it's any consolation, the story will almost completely forget she exists after you leave Taris. And so, probably, will you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Getting Zaalbar to kill Mission was pretty brutal.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Leavemywife posted:

You can just raid enemy camps for shock arrows or buy them elsewhere, Lynel Mountain is just a guaranteed location.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Getting Zaalbar to kill Mission was pretty brutal.

The most kick the puppy dialogue choice to ever dialogue.

I still love KOTOR but it has really not aged well in any sense.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MiddleOne posted:

I always felt the binary light/dark choices in the game held up better than a lot of similar RPGs because it makes for a good Star Wars story.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I always felt the binary light/dark choices in the game held up better than a lot of similar RPGs because it makes for a good Star Wars story.

KOTORs, especially the first one, have some serious flaws but the binary Sith/Jedi-style approach is not one of them because that's how the SW universe seems to work.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Aka the Alpha Protocol school of difficulty representation.
AP did it even better: you had the difficulty options (which you should never use because they just make enemies into damage sponges) and then the starting ranks. So you could up the difficulty by starting as a character with no skills, without committing yourself to a game of having to shoot everyone in the head twice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who are the worst NPCs in a game?
Issun.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

They're still there they're just in your abilities menu so its not cluttering up the tooltips.

This changes everything

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Deus Ex's first level is a weird case. It was a brick wall for me for a couple years until I went back and finally beat it in like 2003 or 2004.

Human Revolution had the same problem, where the first level is the hardest in the entire game the first time you play it. Then they tried to fix that in Mankind Divided by giving you all the upgrades from the previous game for the first level, which works fine if you just recently played the previous game and remember how everything works but is just confusing and overwhelming if you're starting fresh.

The only game in the series that actually does it well is Invisible War.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The problem games with Bethesda's model run into (and Outer Worlds is no exception) is that you can have this big map with a ton of buildings, but realistically there are only so many buildings you can actually create interiors for (and from a design perspective, even if you could map out the interior of every office building and apartment building and so on, there'd be very little to do in those places). Old RPGs could just say "here's the town, here's the castle, the inn, the blacksmith, and the temple" and we kind of accepted the abstraction. You can still pull off the illusion of a big city (Mass Effect did a decent job) but you'll always have empty shells.
Postal 2 did a surprisingly good job of giving you a town that felt decently sized and detailed. It's nowhere near the size or complexity of a real town, of course, but it's big enough and if you see a building you can go into it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I hate all the little achievement stamps that stack up in the corner of the screen in Pokemon Sword + Shield. Someone please tell me how to turn this poo poo off??? Like I get a new one every time I sneeze or tie my shoes and they accumulate, dragging down an otherwise minimalistic overworld UI

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tiggum posted:

Postal 2 did a surprisingly good job of giving you a town that felt decently sized and detailed. It's nowhere near the size or complexity of a real town, of course, but it's big enough and if you see a building you can go into it.

Shame about the 7000 loading zones though

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Issun? The worst NPC? The worst NPC is Issun? You're saying that Issun, the NPC, is the worst NPC? Issun?

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So I finished Death Stranding's campaign, and thankfully once you complete it you are given an opportunity to finish up anything you missed, which is super nice.

But as I continue to play, I find myself increasingly focused on what is undoubtedly the *worst* thing about Death Stranding--and that's the loving map, arguably on of the most vital things.
The map is like Breath of the Wild's, in that it indicates vital locations and player-built infrastructure with blue or green icons, and orange ones for postboxes that belong to enemies, like bandits or terrorists. It also traces out the paths you take so you can keep track of them for later. It even has an option that lets you "tilt" the map so you can see 3d topography in a given area.

Unlike Breath of the Wild, though, you can't turn off the trail paths, and you can't remove icons. This results in the map being unimaginably cluttered. It's especially bad in the back half of the game, where you have to traverse what's left of the Rocky mountains. God help you if you're on a busy shard and your map is *covered* in squiggly green and blue lines. You can plot your own special routes, but the icons are only visible if you're standing on solid ground, and not in a truck or riding a zipline. This results in a whole lot of frustrating stopping and starting, and also getting lost if you're not walking to your destination. It's one of the biggest detriments to what is a pretty solid game for what it is.

The other thing I can't stand is that you have a compass built into your first-person view, but it's a very pale blue, and this makes it almost invisible against light textures. You can adjust where it is, as it will move up and down depending on your angle of view, but if you're in snowy mountains it's very hard to see.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Leavemywife posted:

The weapon durability mechanic is definitely bizarre. It works pretty well once you accept that you should just be nonchalantly smashing through weapons instead of trying to save them for the perfect moment. It's pretty weak that there are only three melee fighting styles, especially since getting your stamina up makes the two handed swords/clubs have ridiculously higher damage output than the other two and the spears never really seem to find a good niche.

Also for horrible NPCs, Fi from Skyward Sword. She was far worse than Navi ever was. She constantly repeats information to you right after you receive it. Character you're talking to tells you you should do thing -> Fi then pops outta the sword and tells you you should do that thing that character just told you to do. The other NPCs also don't react to the sword spirit woman materializing out of thin air even though there is no reason for them not to. Whenever you're presented with a straightforward puzzle, Fi pauses the action to just outright tell you the solution. She also never stops farting on out when your hearts are low to tell you that your hearts are low. To top it all off, she has no personality beyond addressing you as Master and hackneyed computer talk like "I calculate that the probability that Zelda is a homosexual is 32%"

Thankfully, she was disliked enough that Nintendo seemed to get the message and massively scaled back the forced hand holding in subsequent Zelda games.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Wanted By Weed posted:

You can plot your own special routes, but the icons are only visible if you're standing on solid ground, and not in a truck or riding a zipline. This results in a whole lot of frustrating stopping and starting, and also getting lost if you're not walking to your destination.

The icons are visible when you're in first person view, and for like ten seconds after you leave it, so you can get them to show up any time you can go into first person. They also show up when you're hanging on a zipline deciding which direction to go (but not when you're in transit). They are really unnecessarily hard to see, though, and needing to constantly pop in and out of first person to keep the icons on screen is pretty annoying.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So opposite of people who wanted to boycott pokemon sword and shield and how pokemon was ruined forever in removing pokemon, I feel like there is too god drat many. Yesterday I got to the first wild zone and got overwhelmed with the number of different kinds of pokemon. I hit the first city and called it a night. Today I look over my party and decide I should pick up a ground type, and head back out. Now some parts are having bright sun and other parts is hailing which has spawned even MORE pokemon. God drat, I don't know what 75% of these things are! Why can't I pull out my pokedex and see what types the pokemon I'm looking at are without fighting them? I've seen more pokemon in this first zone then the first half pokemon red and blue!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, but you also get to make Carth run into the forest crying if you go the dark side route, which is great.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Who are the worst NPCs in a game?

Heya it's me Imoen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Davis Pickle of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is the worst NPC in a video game wholesale, nobody can beat that "oh so funny" fake-cockney-rhyming little snot. I am generally more appreciate of the Borderlands writing style than most people, but jesus christ that kid is insufferable and the writers must have thought he was fuckin hilarious because he never stops talking

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

CJacobs posted:

Davis Pickle of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is the worst NPC in a video game wholesale, nobody can beat that "oh so funny" fake-cockney-rhyming little snot. I am generally more appreciate of the Borderlands writing style than most people, but jesus christ that kid is insufferable and the writers must have thought he was fuckin hilarious because he never stops talking

You know he also steals money from you every time you speak to him, just to further twist the knife.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Any game that incentivises bringing your character into New Game plus and beyond should consider a plot-free mode. Skip all cutscenes and remove all voiceovers.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I really enjoy the mobile game downwell. it only has 3 buttons, left right and jump. Unfortunately the left and right buttons are very large and the move right button is often nearly to the middle of my phone, meaning I keep going left and getting hit by things.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Any game that incentivises bringing your character into New Game plus and beyond should consider a plot-free mode. Skip all cutscenes and remove all voiceovers.

Speaking of NG+, I love all of the Arkham games but gently caress if I can learn how to counter combat moves without the prompt and it makes it less fun for me. I just wind up constantly countering between every move and wrecking my combos because I can't see poo poo well enough or whatever to properly get the timing down.

I wish there were an option to turn those back on because having all of my cool moves and gadgets and poo poo with a higher difficulty is great but I don't feel like investing enough effort into learning to fight better and time my counter moves.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I love that that the hard mode of Human Revolution disables the outline on interactable objects, which you can promptly turn on in the options without penalty.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tiggum posted:

Then they tried to fix that in Mankind Divided

Man, I thought it was just me. I picked it up cheap because I remembered liking the original old game a lot but I lost interest really quick in the opening level for this reason. I thought I was missing something that it was assumed I already knew, found myself fumbling with the controls and overall just couldn't get into it from the start.

Say what you want about tutorial levels but, when done right, they'll at least succeed in sucking you into the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Issun? The worst NPC? The worst NPC is Issun? You're saying that Issun, the NPC, is the worst NPC? Issun?
That's right, busty babe!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

When we’re discussing worst NPC we’re just assuming “other than Claptrap” is the corollary so obvious that no one bothered to say it, right? I stopped playing Borderlands 2 like an hour into it for gameplay reasons but the fact that every line of dialogue in the game was Claptrap being annoying and unfunny to set up a punchline where another character says “wow Claptrap is really annoying and unfunny” sure didn’t help.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

When we’re discussing worst NPC we’re just assuming “other than Claptrap” is the corollary so obvious that no one bothered to say it, right? I stopped playing Borderlands 2 like an hour into it for gameplay reasons but the fact that every line of dialogue in the game was Claptrap being annoying and unfunny to set up a punchline where another character says “wow Claptrap is really annoying and unfunny” sure didn’t help.
I hated Issun more because Issun was in a better game. He just makes (almost) every moment he's in worse, and he doesn't get any better until the final boss. The contrast is much greater because Okami is really good. Claptrap is obnoxious but so is everyone in BL2 - and frankly, I'd rather listen to him talk than Tiny Tina.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm gonna be real, I didn't feel Okami had too much dialogue number-wise for the most part, but it sure feels like it does when 90% of it is Issun being super sexist.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna be real, I didn't feel Okami had too much dialogue number-wise for the most part, but it sure feels like it does when 90% of it is Issun being super sexist.
lmao there's so much: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/920500-okami/faqs/50772

Okami's just good enough you can forget the hours of unskippable text cutscenes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Claptrap I think needs to have an asterisk next to him in any discussion of annoying NPCs, because the developers have an awareness of how annoying he is and play to it. That doesn't really save him, but it means that there's by nature a different outlook on him in the game's development that makes him different from your Navis and Issuns who are unintentionally annoying. The Adoring Fan is in the same boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

BiggerBoat posted:

Say what you want about tutorial levels but, when done right, they'll at least succeed in sucking you into the game.

There's this tutorial in Arkham City to teach you stealth. Batman goes "Four thugs, all armed, two hostages. This is gonna be easy" and then the music starts playing and you're loving pumped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfhy0S93Ivk

Certainly beats having an obnoxious robot blare at you. When you play an experienced character in a video-game then the tutorial should emphasize that you're not starting at zero, you're just flexing your muscles in anticipation.