Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Steakandchips posted:

Why do people, like Bailey, think it's appropriate to speak this way in the office?

(you did the right thing getting him back, not trying to cast stones at you)

They don't; they just think there's nothing you can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spatial posted:

Having a good manager rules. At the end of a big project my last manager gave the entire team a week off and told us not to tell anyone, just leave the computers on and logged in. Five extra vacation days baby, now that's a bonus.

When I first started he took me aside and gave me this spiel about how the company doesn't care about people, so gently caress the company and I should bleed them for everything I can get. He helped me get plenty of that blood too. What a star lol

About five minutes after he established this new 'policy', he hooked up an SNES Classic to a projector pointed at our back wall and started playing while joining another meeting, lol

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's funny to me how I can't remember the specific words of any single of the dozens or even hundreds of sentences of praise I've ever received in my entire working life, but I'll probably go to my grave being able to recall the exact circumstance, wording, and tone of that sort of passive-aggressive negging. You can give your coworkers a hundred compliments and they won't remember them nearly as well as even one phrase they interpret as a put-down.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

One of my friend's coworkers regularly throws screaming tantrums at others over the slightest most insignificant things. We're talking straight up red faced spitting rage for ten minutes straight, which is so extreme and so loud it even disturbs people on the other floors of the building.

What drives him to do this? Recent examples:
Case 1: Button on a webpage was 2 pixels out of alignment with another button
Case 2: Background was the wrong shade of orange

Two new hires immediately quit and never came back after they saw this happen. Half the team is in the process of leaving. Management will not take any corrective action whatsoever.

By the way this is the same environment where everyone earning over 75K got a raise while everyone else has been frozen for two years. Captain blowhard above is one of the >75K people who got a raise.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I hope that dude flips on the wrong one and gets laid out jesus

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Spatial posted:

One of my friend's coworkers regularly throws screaming tantrums at others over the slightest most insignificant things. We're talking straight up red faced spitting rage for ten minutes straight, which is so extreme and so loud it even disturbs people on the other floors of the building.

What drives him to do this? Recent examples:
Case 1: Button on a webpage was 2 pixels out of alignment with another button
Case 2: Background was the wrong shade of orange

Two new hires immediately quit and never came back after they saw this happen. Half the team is in the process of leaving. Management will not take any corrective action whatsoever.

By the way this is the same environment where everyone earning over 75K got a raise while everyone else has been frozen for two years. Captain blowhard above is one of the >75K people who got a raise.

What the hell?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Imagined posted:

It's funny to me how I can't remember the specific words of any single of the dozens or even hundreds of sentences of praise I've ever received in my entire working life, but I'll probably go to my grave being able to recall the exact circumstance, wording, and tone of that sort of passive-aggressive negging. You can give your coworkers a hundred compliments and they won't remember them nearly as well as even one phrase they interpret as a put-down.

God, if this isn't the truth. :smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My job doesn’t even suspend someone who is pending a termination for a safety violation, they’re still out on the floor until the term goes through.

We had a guy last week do some of the most egregiously negligent bordering on psychotic poo poo ive ever seen and last night he did something stupid and drove an order picker truck into the racking. Like… just suspend the dude until the decision comes through if you’re not gonna walk him out the night of. It’s not hard. It makes it hard to actually enforce things in a way that the other people actually notice or care about, too, since the term comes so far after the initial violation.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

My MegaCorp has employees as either hourly or salaried. Despite claims to the contrary about hourly pay scales, salaried is almost always a better role in terms of prestige, no time card, and better benefits.

I'm in a salaried role but the description doesn't fit what I do and we are planning to hire another person to do similar tasks so I was asked to look at three existing role types to figure out which closely matches my job. The official descriptions are, uh, interestingly worded ("coordinate integration activities?" "partner on developed strategies?") so after careful thought I concluded the salaried option was the closest fit, instead of the two hourly options, and this was accepted without question.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Imagined posted:

One part of the interview involved having me get up and run through some problems in Excel on a smartboard in front of the interview panel. Now, I'm not an Excel wizard or anything, but between Google and stackoverflow and hunting around I've never run into anything I couldn't get done as well as anybody else, but I totally flopped hard trying to do it with everyone watching. Got all flustered and then I couldn't think straight. Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

Long ago when I got my first job at my current employer there was a 10 question practical exam on obscure stuff that really didn't have much to do with the job. 10 questions and 2 hours to finish. They set you in front of a broken computer in a lab and you had to make it work, where some information was provided. The first question said the NIC wasn't connecting, the second said further there was no internet, and told you the right IP and gateway settings but didn't tell you what to do with them, you had to actually know how to fix it, so forth and so on. The test said to use any resources available and to document everything about how you solved the problem.

I could do 8 out of 10 questions no problem, the last 2 were just silly. One was a fox pro error, years after fox pro should have been antiquated retired. I had no idea how to fix it. But, the test instructions said to use any resources available and the second question explicitly had me fix the internet connection. So, I shrugged and internet searched the answers. I documented in detail how I searched the answers, copied over the links to the solutions, verified all my stuff and left. I explicitly wrote on the test that I had used the internet, and they had directly allowed me to do so. I found out a year later after getting the job that I had ended up first on the list of 70 or so applicants because I was the only one to get all 10 answers right and the only one to ace the practical exam. Everyone else that took the exam apparently thought it was cheating, several of them were hired after me and told me this.

If they do not disallow resources then you should use them. Full stop. Don't be apologetic about how you get a job done right, just do it. If they have a problem with it deadpan look confused about why you wouldn't use all the resources you had at your disposal, and why would you choose to handicap yourself instead of doing the best job possible. I'm not remotely joking.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I've just been told by a buddy of mine that our post-merger MegaCorp is effectively demoting a shitload of people by merging Senior [Position] I and II together. I wonder how that is gonna work out...

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Gin_Rummy posted:

I've just been told by a buddy of mine that our post-merger MegaCorp is effectively demoting a shitload of people by merging Senior [Position] I and II together. I wonder how that is gonna work out...

With lot of resignations, presumably :v:

Although it's possible that the pay bands overlap enough that nobody's pay needs to change, so maybe nobody will care?

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

BitBasher posted:

If they do not disallow resources then you should use them. Full stop. Don't be apologetic about how you get a job done right, just do it. If they have a problem with it deadpan look confused about why you wouldn't use all the resources you had at your disposal, and why would you choose to handicap yourself instead of doing the best job possible. I'm not remotely joking.

Spock disagrees.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Zarin posted:

With lot of resignations, presumably :v:

Although it's possible that the pay bands overlap enough that nobody's pay needs to change, so maybe nobody will care?

Well, my buddy who IS one of those Senior IIs sees it as a definite demotion, despite (I believe) not actually losing any pay.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

From a few pgs back-

Volmarias posted:

I hope you don't actually think that your coworkers are the reason that butts are being returned to seats, instead of a need to survey domains

No. I agree, it has way more to do with management wanting to micromanage and the CEO being pissed that they've been paying for empty office space, and very little to do with coworkers being unable to set boundaries and handle working from home. Regardless I don't think I want to deal with the commute anymore and this seems like a good time to find something closer to home if not a 100% WFH gig.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Gin_Rummy posted:

If its just title changes doesn't change the compensation downward for anyone, I wouldn't bat an eye.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

frogge posted:

My work sent out an email about their intent to return to the buildings starting this summer, and completely return by Jan. '22. I blame all my coworkers who blasted out batches of kids that they can't stand or control for ruining it for the rest of us. Every single or childless person in my division has loved WFH, and almost everyone with kids is practically crying while begging to return.

Having this past year and change fully working from home has been so good that I am giving serious thought to finding a different, fully WFH job so I can keep it going.
I saved so much money and time from not having to commute every day that I was able to pay off some of my debts, buy some luxury stuff that I never would have considered before (3D printer, lol), and had more time to spend with my family and dog.

Are you me?

At this point I think if my boss tells us we have to go back I’ll basically give him an ultimatum of making me work from home permanently or I’m leaving.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Cheesus posted:

If its just title changes doesn't change the compensation downward for anyone, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Same, and I'd keep putting the old title that sounded better on my resume.

Once I hear that a place I used to work went out of business or changed ownership I give myself a nice promotion on the old resume, too. "Oh, my old boss sold the company, it changed names, and no one who ever knew me has worked there in five years? Looks like I got that Assistant Manager position I was asking for after all back in 2003!"

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 11, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This is a hosed story. When I was in university, I was working at a chain family restaurant (think like an Applebee’s) and this guy who was a server who was a huge sketchy weirdo (constantly talked about staff and customers he was horny for and poo poo) was the opener one day, so he was the first person in the restaurant that day for like an hour. Before anyone arrived this guy took one of the female server’s water tumblers that they left at work and just straight up jerked off into it. The problem was that he forgot the owner/manager was a neurotic former middle school teacher who had CCTVs in the corners of the ceiling and she checked them daily to make sure no one was stealing poo poo. Dude was fired that day, obviously, and the girl with the tumbler quit shortly after.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

Are you me?

At this point I think if my boss tells us we have to go back I’ll basically give him an ultimatum of making me work from home permanently or I’m leaving.

Blink twice.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Long ago when I got my first job at my current employer there was a 10 question practical exam on obscure stuff that really didn't have much to do with the job. 10 questions and 2 hours to finish. They set you in front of a broken computer in a lab and you had to make it work, where some information was provided. The first question said the NIC wasn't connecting, the second said further there was no internet, and told you the right IP and gateway settings but didn't tell you what to do with them, you had to actually know how to fix it, so forth and so on. The test said to use any resources available and to document everything about how you solved the problem.

I could do 8 out of 10 questions no problem, the last 2 were just silly. One was a fox pro error, years after fox pro should have been antiquated retired. I had no idea how to fix it. But, the test instructions said to use any resources available and the second question explicitly had me fix the internet connection. So, I shrugged and internet searched the answers. I documented in detail how I searched the answers, copied over the links to the solutions, verified all my stuff and left. I explicitly wrote on the test that I had used the internet, and they had directly allowed me to do so. I found out a year later after getting the job that I had ended up first on the list of 70 or so applicants because I was the only one to get all 10 answers right and the only one to ace the practical exam. Everyone else that took the exam apparently thought it was cheating, several of them were hired after me and told me this.

I've sat in on a few interviews at work and "I don't know i would research it on the internet" was a straight to the top of the pile answer. Knowledge is great but being able to teach yourself is gold.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I worked at one in a city that only gets like a week of snow a year, so there isn't a lot of snow clearing trucks, and many drivers have no experience with driving in snow. So it was always a poo poo show of crashes and the roads getting utterly hosed. Like every googdamned street across the city in google maps will be deep red.

Despite the weather report calling for snow and the drat hourly forecast saying it should start around 1, and being able to see it moving in on the radar and extrapolate that yup, it's going to start around 1...

Without fail my manager would be walking around with his coffee and when it started to fall would go to the windows and be like "Hey everyone! The snow is starting!" Then some time later "Wow! It's really coming down! and sticking to the road!"

And then wait for it to get like 1cm deep on the roads before being like "hey everyone, let's cut it short and finish the day from home."

Every loving time. Infuriating. You knew this was coming down to the hour. You've just put everyone into unnecessary danger and in for a hell commute.

What the hell man?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My work also loves to do that, with the added wrinkle that we get bonus admin leave if we come in and wait for them to call it for the weather, but if we sensibly say "You're nuts, I'm using leave and not coming today," you still have to use your own leave even if they end up calling admin leave for the day. I always "joke" that forcing us to drive in the ice/snow is just their little way of trying to reduce headcount.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Imagined posted:

I always "joke" that forcing us to drive in the ice/snow is just their little way of trying to reduce headcount.

E2E testing the bus factor!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Imagined posted:

My work also loves to do that, with the added wrinkle that we get bonus admin leave if we come in and wait for them to call it for the weather, but if we sensibly say "You're nuts, I'm using leave and not coming today," you still have to use your own leave even if they end up calling admin leave for the day. I always "joke" that forcing us to drive in the ice/snow is just their little way of trying to reduce headcount.

Oh yeah my MegaCorp’s office is a significant drive for most folks and they don’t close unless there is a power outage (extremely rare.) last time we had an expected major snow event the higher ups communicated that any absences would be fine if employees used vacation time. Great way to burn employee goodwill, especially for those who had to deal with school closures.

It was so poorly thought out every manager I know about quietly told their team that if the roads were bad it was totally fine to WFH or take a sick day rather than risk their lives for no good reason.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to see a company just once see a manager get sued for negligence/charged with manslaughter when an employee got killed because they were forced to come in during inclement weather.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dumb poo poo my work recently did: hire someone for a data entry position heavy on Excel & formulas who has had to ask me, multiple times, how "greater than" and "less than" signs work.
Not promising.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

SkyeAuroline posted:

Dumb poo poo my work recently did: hire someone for a data entry position heavy on Excel & formulas who has had to ask me, multiple times, how "greater than" and "less than" signs work.
Not promising.

That's something I learned in grade 1 or 2. They used to describe it as 'the alligator eats the bigger number'. I wonder if they still teach that in schools.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tarkus posted:

That's something I learned in grade 1 or 2. They used to describe it as 'the alligator eats the bigger number'. I wonder if they still teach that in schools.

For me it was "Pac-Man eats the bigger number" :v:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

I've sat in on a few interviews at work and "I don't know i would research it on the internet" was a straight to the top of the pile answer. Knowledge is great but being able to teach yourself is gold.

This is also why exams are stupid.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Not promising.

lol why would you say this out loud? being too dumb to know to just google your dumb questions you should know the answer to for work is the real red flag here

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol why would you say this out loud? being too dumb to know to just google your dumb questions you should know the answer to for work is the real red flag here

I mean, same person sat down all conspiratorial after everyone else left and asked me if our manager micromanages. (yes, for the record.) You've been working with him directly for your entire time here, you should be able to tell.

But, uh, yeah. I'm the stupid question recipient now I guess, because I didn't laugh. Rip. I'm going back to spending my current 3 hours a day of downtime at the end writing instead of caring about this.
if only that was fulfilling either

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

honda whisperer posted:

We have a similar one when I’m interviewing people: “How would you find out about your customer’s research area?” People say a whole range of things, like they’d Google it, read research papers, check out LinkedIn etc.

I always say there are no right and wrong answers, but in this case there is. Hardly anyone ever says “I’d ask the customer”

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Imagined posted:

In my last job there was no work from home option for the rank and file (for a bunch of reasons) and so if there was a blizzard or hurricane or anything like that you were expected to show up or use time off, no exceptions. This included the time the state shut down the roads, but the company gave us the option to take a non-paid day off if we didn't feel safe coming in under those conditions. In the same message they also encouraged anyone who could get to work without going on state roads to come in anyway and the next day you knew who showed up because of the sense of superiority they had about driving multiple hours in whiteout conditions so they could make the company money by just being there. That was also around the time I realized I needed to get the gently caress out of there before I started thinking risking my life for a megacorp's bottom line was a good idea.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Slotducks posted:

It's a pretty famous anecdote that Enron had stock price shown loving everywhere throughout all their offices and when stock was up it was like everyone was on cocaine, but when it dipped a black cloud of despair destroyed all productivity and morale. All this on a minute to minute update schedule

Back in the 2000's I was a software vendor to Delta Air Lines. I was in their offices one week doing training and during a session I noticed everyone was distracted and really looking pretty down. Finally one of them says "sorry if we seem depressed, we're all watching out stock price drop %75 since you've been talking to us" (they were approaching their eventual bankruptcy).

Spatial posted:

Here's something messed up: I know people in my company who haven't had their work reach the real world in literally years because management keeps cancelling projects so they can start new projects with higher profitability. Which are then cancelled again, in a loop. For one team this cycle has continued for four years straight. One time the project was cancelled two days before the release date!

Imagine the impact this has on morale lol. Why even bother doing anything right? It'll never see the light of day anyway.

At my last job I was there almost 5 years and nothing I worked on with my dev teams ever saw a customer. Various reasons but they all basically come down to bureaucracy and poor management. It was horribly demoralizing especially to the devs, no one wants to feel like their work is being throw into a black hole.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Few things are more depressing about American culture than that "I left my wife alone in the hospital having our firstborn so I could drive through a blizzard with a broken leg and get to work" attitude so many people still have. Can't tell you how many times a superior or colleague has expressed sentiments like that to me as if it were something of which to be proud, and not, in fact, evidence of the mental illness of a bootlicking toady. It was barely understandable in the days when blue collar jobs actually paid living wages and had pensions and poo poo. It's positively nihilistic nowadays when 99 corporations out of 100 would grind their employees into dog food without a moment's hesitation instead of paying them if it somehow improved the quarterly report.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 11, 2021

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Butcher posted:

Every loving time. Infuriating. You knew this was coming down to the hour. You've just put everyone into unnecessary danger and in for a hell commute.
In Vermont we're pretty good about forecasting really bad winter weather and it seem many businesses and organizations are good about pre-emptively cancelling school, daycare, or work the night before.

But when the forecast is wrong and instead of a 2 foot "Nor'easter" we just get 3 inches? Like maybe only once, or in very rare cases, twice a season? HOLY poo poo the caterwauling about how the got it wrong and the state closed poo poo for nothing.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Butcher posted:

I worked at one in a city that only gets like a week of snow a year, so there isn't a lot of snow clearing trucks, and many drivers have no experience with driving in snow. So it was always a poo poo show of crashes and the roads getting utterly hosed. Like every googdamned street across the city in google maps will be deep red.

Despite the weather report calling for snow and the drat hourly forecast saying it should start around 1, and being able to see it moving in on the radar and extrapolate that yup, it's going to start around 1...

Without fail my manager would be walking around with his coffee and when it started to fall would go to the windows and be like "Hey everyone! The snow is starting!" Then some time later "Wow! It's really coming down! and sticking to the road!"

And then wait for it to get like 1cm deep on the roads before being like "hey everyone, let's cut it short and finish the day from home."

What the hell man?

This is why the good lord invented punching folks in the stomach.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Imagined posted:

Few things are more depressing about American culture than that "I left my wife alone in the hospital having our firstborn so I could drive through a blizzard with a broken leg and get to work" attitude so many people still have. Can't tell you how many times a superior or colleague has expressed sentiments like that to me as if it were something of which to be proud, and not, in fact, evidence of the mental illness of a bootlicking toady. It was barely understandable in the days when blue collar jobs actually paid living wages and had pensions and poo poo. It's positively nihilistic nowadays when 99 corporations out of 100 would grind their employees into dog food without a moment's hesitation instead of paying them if it somehow improved the quarterly report.

There's entire subreddits dedicated to those "feel good" videos/articles depicting children working themselves to death to pay for their parents' cancer treatments; no sir baconlord99 that did not in fact /r/makemesmile

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Local Weather posted:

At my last job I was there almost 5 years and nothing I worked on with my dev teams ever saw a customer. Various reasons but they all basically come down to bureaucracy and poor management. It was horribly demoralizing especially to the devs, no one wants to feel like their work is being throw into a black hole.

Regarding talking to end users, which at my MegaCorp are thousands of people doing much harder work that keeps the company functioning, my tech department coworkers are the opposite. Few have any reason to talk to an end user and get irritated when CCed on an email trying to help someone. I would understand if all of the users were tech illiterate and trying to get an engineer to be their go to repair person (which can happen) but overwhelmingly our users are good folk trying to understand a clunky system and it's rewarding to walk them through using a tool that saves a lot of time. They often have good ideas to improve processes that wind up making everyone's lives easier.

Coworker who was worst about it not only never spoke to users but bragged about refusing to set foot in our main locations, like it was beneath their dignity and class. This person's role was to administer myers briggs tests to management.